Menu

What's for dinner?

Night Elf

I'm going to attempt some Argentine noquis. (Or gnocchis to the Italians) I've never made them, but hopefully the recipe is similar enough to what I ate in Argentina.

Dh taught me how to make gnocchi after he lived in Uruguay. Would you eat them on the 29th too?

Dh taught me how to make gnocchi after he lived in Uruguay. Would you eat them on the 29th too?

I had completely forgotten about that tradition until I was looking up recipes! I don't think I can wait until the next 29th. Every so often I get a craving for Argentine food. Recently I made empanadas arabes. Nom nom nom.

• Like 1

We're having what I call our Before & After meal (based on the category from Wheel of Fortune):

Spaghetti and Meatball Subs

I'm baking some gluten-free meatballs and each person has the choice of spaghetti and meatballs or a meatball sub.

• Like 1

Ok these meals sound delicious. Not only do I wish I liked to cook, I wish my kids were adventurous in their eating. Every meal at my house is boring because they won't eat food mixed together. No casseroles in this house. I did once bake a mac and cheese dinner from scratch and it turned out horrible. I did the recipe using eggs and my pasta had scrambled eggs in it.

Cube steak sandwiches: The Marlboro Man sandwich from Pioneer Woman (some of the done in the "MM sandwich done the PW woman way" style).

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/the-mm-sandwich-pw-style/

I've never tried this before, but I got a great deal on cube steak the other day so I am going to give it a whirl.

I've made those. DH and I loved them, kids were less enthusiastic.

• Like 1

Not a cook here, but I wanted something in the crockpot, so I threw in a can of black beans, 4 chicken breasts, 2c of salsa. Cooked 3.5 hours (because that's all the time I had) on high. Ate over rice. Next time, will add corn and cilantro, and maybe eat it on chips or tortillas.  Pretty good.

• Like 1

Ok these meals sound delicious. Not only do I wish I liked to cook, I wish my kids were adventurous in their eating. Every meal at my house is boring because they won't eat food mixed together. No casseroles in this house. I did once bake a mac and cheese dinner from scratch and it turned out horrible. I did the recipe using eggs and my pasta had scrambled eggs in it.

For Mac and cheese without scrambled eggs:

What I do with picky kids is still cook what we want to eat most nights. And just pull out some plain components for them. That way they slowly get used to the different flavors and can try 1-2 bites of what we are eating. My older son has autism, so believe me I "get" picky in a visceral level.

Completely boring. Spaghetti using the meat sauce I froze a few months ago. I'm always grateful to have quick stuff in the freezer. I didn't feel like cooking but also don't like to eat take out. So spaghetti it is!  Fixed a quick salad...dinnertime. 

I've made those. DH and I loved them, kids were less enthusiastic.

They turned out pretty well and my crew liked them. The 3.5 yr old was a bit iffy on it and essentially ate a bun and a few bites of meat...but there isn't much unusual about him eating like thst...LOL

We've been moving this week (locally, but still). Plus, I started a month-long, full-time temp job today. Between those things and keeping up minimum hours at my two regular part-time jobs and shuttling my son to rehearsals for one show and an audition and callback for a second, the concept of preparing meals for my family has pretty much gone out the window. Tonight, I picked up take-out from Tijuana Flats (a regional Tex-Mex chain).

• Like 1

Cube steak sandwiches: The Marlboro Man sandwich from Pioneer Woman (some of the done in the "MM sandwich done the PW woman way" style).

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/the-mm-sandwich-pw-style/

I've never tried this before, but I got a great deal on cube steak the other day so I am going to give it a whirl.

We tried a new recipe courtesy of Pioneer Woman as well tonight. We tried the bowtie chicken alfredo and it was a huge hit. Dh and both dds cleaned their plates and had seconds. They also asked me to make it again. Next time I'm going to add in spinach and grape tomatoes at the end.

Last night?  We might win for most boring.  I had a small bowl of Great Value Extra Raisin Raisin Bran (Great Value because I actually do like the flavor of it better than name brands).  This was followed by "dessert" of an even smaller bowl of Herr's regular potato chips (Herrs because they are my favorite brand and used for dessert to end on a salty flavor rather than sweet).  Hubby had the same thing except substituted Honey Nut & Almond (Great Value Brand also - again - we like these better - it's great having inexpensive tastes!).

We all had Calzones/Stromboli's for lunch yesterday.  The boys were out with friends for supper, so no pressure to actually make anything and I was too stuffed to want to eat much.

Today/tonight?  Leftover Calzones/Strombolis for breakfast and we're heading out somewhere for either lunch, supper, or a mix we call "lupper."  It's the 5th of the month.  We got married on a 5th of the month, so ALWAYS go out to eat on that day.   :D

We have not picked the destination yet.  Normally this was a "thing" for just hubby and I to celebrate getting married.  Now that we're empty nesting we're taking the two college boys who are home with us to celebrate our fun years of being a family.  They'll get a say in where we go.  They'll probably have "the" say in where we go, but we eliminated fast food from the options!

• Like 2