Menu

Favorite candy from your childhood... that may or may not exist still

umsami

When I was a kid, I loved this thing called a Marathon bar.  It was an eight inch long (I think that's what it was....it actually had a ruler on the packaging) chocolate covered caramel bar.  I think it's a lot like the Curly Wurly in the UK.

I also loved these fizzy candies called ZotZ,  red licorice rolls called Delfa rolls, and Charleston Chew bars (vanilla...in the freezer preferably).  

What candies do you remember loving that you don't see anymore?  

• Like 4

When I was a kid, I loved this thing called a Marathon bar.  It was an eight inch long (I think that's what it was....it actually had a ruler on the packaging) chocolate covered caramel bar.  I think it's a lot like the Curly Wurly in the UK.

I also loved these fizzy candies called ZotZ,  red licorice rolls called Delfa rolls, and Charleston Chew bars (vanilla...in the freezer preferably).  

I remember Zotz too!  Imagine my surprise when I found them at the local 7-eleven, now my kids love them!

• Like 1

I was a fan of Marathon bars and Freshen-Up too! But my all time favorite is Bassett's Licorice All Sorts. They discontinued them in the US and now you can only get them from the UK at extortionate prices. I occasionally indulge, but I miss getting them at the local CVS.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, marathon bars, zotz, AND freshen up? Just took a trip down memory lane. Funny what the memories of candy can do!

ETA I have been trying to remember the name of the marathon bar forever. Neither of my parents remembered and my searching online didn't work either. I am so excited to know the name of that candy!!! Is the curly wurly really the same? Trying to decide if I should order one for nostalia's sake.

• Like 1

I remember Freshen Up and have seen Charleston Chews at Cracker Barrel.

One of my favorites from childhood was lime Starburst. Lime was my favorite. I was sooooo sad when they switched out lime for cherry. I like cherry but couldn't they have switched out orange instead? :smash:

I also used to like Big Hunk--vanilla nougat with peanuts (?). You had to put it in the freezer then slam it on the counter/table/ground to break it into pieces. If you tried to just bite it you risked losing teeth. :p

• Like 2

Was Marathon bar the one with a sort of braid of caramel dipped in chocolate?  Those were good.

A little local grocery store near here carries Zotz.  All the flavors I remember plus blue raspberry, which I never had as a kid.

Yes, they were the braided ones.  I think the Curly Wurly is quite similar....or so these guys say: http://www.oldtimecandy.com/walk-the-candy-aisle/curly-wurly-marathon-bar/

Astro Pop! I loved those.

Oh, I forgot about those.  Those were so good.  

I used to like milk duds, are they still around?

Mostly I liked anything that was both large and cheap.  :P  I was on a pretty tight budget in those days.

As a teen I liked skor and another similar toffee-covered-in-chocolate bar.  Do they still sell those?

I'm not really up on what they sell these days, since I don't eat chocolate any more.

• Like 2

I loved the Marathon bar!!!  Chocolate covered caramel DNA strand is what I remember it looking like.  

I loved Neccos, Pez, and Lik - M - Aid (my favorite part was the sticks).  

• Like 3

My candy-loving kid found some Good & Plenty at Cracker Barrel.  I told her I used to eat them as a kid and they were quite popular.  So she bought a box.  She was so disgusted when she ate one.  LOL.  Almost offended.  ;)

• Like 1

My candy-loving kid found some Good & Plenty at Cracker Barrel.  I told her I used to eat them as a kid and they were quite popular.  So she bought a box.  She was so disgusted when she ate one.  LOL.  Almost offended.  ;)

My kids were not impressed with Good-n-Plenty either.  I loved them.  I think they still have them too.  Didn't they also used to make Good-n-Fruity?

Wasn't the big piece of chocolate called Chunky?

I just saw a Chunky bar at 7-11!  My husband, when we were first married, used to buy Cadbury Fruit and Nut bars.  They taste a lot like Chunky's. 

Mostly I liked anything that was both large and cheap.  :p  I was on a pretty tight budget in those days.

As a teen I liked skor and another similar toffee-covered-in-chocolate bar.  Do they still sell those?

I'm not really up on what they sell these days, since I don't eat chocolate any more.

DD just bought a box of Milk Duds at Target when we were choosing candy for our own mix-ins.  They turned out to be the favorite for all the kids.  I don't think my dental work will allow me to eat them anymore.  I do remember them being a good value, though.  

My childhood favorites are still easy to buy, Toblerone Dark Chocolate, Ferrero Rocher, Australian Nougat, UK fruit drops in a round metal tin (many brands), Rowntree's fruit pastille.

Pocky.

That's my kids favorite. We buy at Daiso, Korean and Japanese supermarkets here.
  • Like 1

Toffifay. I used to break off the chocolate disk and eat it first.  Then, I would eat out the milk chocolate and the hazelnut, and I'd save the caramel bowl for last.  Also Pez candies.  They were yummy, but the best part was loading the dispenser and then making Donald Duck spit them back out.

• Like 5

Chick-O-Stick was always in my bag of candy from the local convenience store. They were mixed with an assortment of  Lemon Heads, Apple Heads, Hot Tamales,  Blow pops,  Bottle Caps, Hubba Bubba/Bubble Yum/Bubbalishious, the really long Licorice ropes (super ropes?), Twix, Mars Bars, York Peppermint Patties, Zotz, Laffy Taffy, Smarties, Jolly Ranchers, Wax soda bottles/lips, and 3 Musketeers, .  Candy cigarettes when they were the vanilla sticks. 

• Like 5

Regal Crown Sour Cherry.  Around Christmas time, I was in the candy aisle at World Market and I smelled Regal Crown Sour Cherry candy.  But I couldn't see it anywhere!  Some other candy was messing with me... I thought about buying every cherry flavored candy in the aisle to see if I could figure out what it was and if it tasted as good... but I didn't. 

• Like 1

Mostly I liked anything that was both large and cheap. :P I was on a pretty tight budget in those days.

As a teen I liked skor and another similar toffee-covered-in-chocolate bar. Do they still sell those?

I like milk duds! That's what I always pick at the theater.

• Like 1

Growing up, a neighbor worked at the York Peppermint Pattie factory.  We were nice to her son, even when we didn't want to be!  :) We would get "seconds" from the factory (think two stuck together or double chocolate=tragic!),  Often we would put them in the freezer to be eaten later as a popsicle.  :drool:

• Like 3

Our Meijer grocery store has Charleston Chews, my old fav Abaa Zabba bars (sticky toffee with peanut butter center), Chuckles, and other "oldies" at a few of the checkout lines, in a special section.  I think I have seen Marathon bars there, not sure through.

• Like 1

Remember when Walnuttos (Wallnettos?)were brought back after Laugh-In? 

I simply miss having a quarter and getting a lot of candy at the local liquor store, most bars were still a nickel!  Of course, i also was able, as a wee tot, to hand over a dollar bill and one of my dad's business cards, on which he had written "pack of Salems please" and getting the cigarettes to take back to my dad.

My kids have inherited my licorice love, so G&P is a hit here. But, black licorice is definitely falling out of favor. It makes me sad. I lived without for 10 long years in Venezuela where no one liked it and now the same thing is happening here.

• Like 1

Sky Bar -different flavors of fillings, dipped in chocolate. REAL conversation hearts (there's not a single brand that hasn't gone to weird sour flavors). Chocolate Necco Wafers. The Sky Bar and the chocolate Neccos I can get at the Moon Pie store in Chattanooga when we go through there (last summer, the joint meeting of ichthyologists and herpetologists was in Chattanooga. I think we sent a lot of grad students back with moon pie and classic candy addictions because so many of the faculty kept finding candy they'd grown up with and telling their kids "you've GOT to try this!")

Not candy, but when I was in college I could get really thin flour tortilla chips that I loved. I also sometimes have to make a trek to the Mexican grocery store for a specific marshmallow cookie that was common in New Mexico/Texas when I was a college/grad student, but is hard to find in TN.

• Like 1

At Easter time, I love the marshmallow eggs that have a hard candy coating. My son says I'm the only person who likes them, and that's why it's so hard to find them anymore. I posted about it on FB several weeks ago, and a dear friend saw them somewhere and bought me a bag. She had her son deliver it to me at Co-op. My fourth period students saw how excited I was to get the package, but had never seen them before. I felt I had to share with them, so I did. About a half hour later, I saw that each of them had taken a bite and then set the candy aside on the table, LOL. 

• Like 4

Childhood is so different now, isn't it?  We used to receive our allowance in the form of glass pop bottles and walk a few blocks to the stores where candy ranged in price from 1 cent (or two for a penny) to maybe 20 cents.  And then go to the playground to eat the candy and play until we were hungry.  And our parents never said a word about how much candy we had (it was only on Saturdays anyway).  I'm pretty sure I'd have multiple arrests if I let my kids do that.

• Like 2

I used to love candy cigarettes. I liked how they had the powder on them that looked like smoke.

I also liked Big League Chew gum in the package. I see a theme developing here, lol! I don't use any tobacco products as an adult but I loved the candy versions as a kid!

• Like 7