Menu

Accents

Amira

Do you know what I wish? I'd love it if there were a way to hear voices on the Internet instead of just reading them. We communicate in English here nearly all the time, but you all sound pretty much like me in my head and that's boring. I know there has to be a huge variety of accents here and I wish there were a way to experience that online.

• Like 14

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've talked to online friends on Skype, and I find the accents disconcerting - they are lovely - but they make me feel I'm speaking in a very broad Aussie drawl. 

Americans sound so cute! and I sound like a lizard from the outback.

I think strength of accents is as much perspective as reality.   We lived in Australia for 6 years and I didn't think my kids sounded a bit Australian.....until we landed in the Los Angeles airport.  Now that we were surrounded by American accents  I realized I brought back a bunch of little Aussies. 

• Like 16

I've talked to online friends on Skype, and I find the accents disconcerting - they are lovely - but they make me feel I'm speaking in a very broad Aussie drawl.

Same here! I feel ridiculous in my own accent when speaking with North Americans. And I think Aussies on US TV sound really *fake*, even if they're not.

• Like 2

"Will you please call me Cordelia?" she said eagerly.

"Call you Cordelia? Is that your name?"

"No-o-o, it's not exactly my name, but I would love to be called Cordelia. It's such a perfectly elegant name."

"I don't know what on earth you mean. If Cordelia isn't your name, what is?"

"Anne Shirley,"

----------

"Will you please imagine me with a lovely British accent?" happi duck said eagerly.

"Is that your accent?"

"No-o-o, not exactly but I would love to have a British accent. They're all so perfectly elegant."

"I don't know what on earth you mean. If not British what is your accent?

"Boring, U.S. broadcast-ish."

...sigh...

:)

• Like 29

Americans sound so cute! and I sound like a lizard from the outback.

Well we Americans think our accents are boring and yours is cute!

• Like 8

I used to attend a church with a Scottish pastor. There were a few times we had to struggle to understand him, but it was totally worth it!

From a young age my sister insisted she wanted to marry a guy with an accent. She got a New Yorker, which isn't nearly as exotic/romantic as she was thinking (Irish, English, Scottish, or Australian).

• Like 5

I think strength of accents is as much perspective as reality.   We lived in Australia for 6 years and I didn't think my kids sounded a bit Australian.....until we landed in the Los Angeles airport.  Now that we were surrounded by American accents  I realized I brought back a bunch of little Aussies. 

I don't think I sound at all North American, but apparently I'm wrong.  In the supermarket the other day, a stranger asked me when (British) Mother's Day was.  I replied that I thought it was in a week or two, but I wasn't sure as I didn't celebrate it.  Her reply?  'Oh yes, you celebrate it later in the year, don't you?'  She then confirmed that she thought I was American.

That's what living with a Texan for twenty-five years gets you: you sound English to Americans and American to British people.

• Like 21

It took me many years to get rid of my California girl accent. But the words have stuck; they are like totally part of my heritage, dude. :)

We lived in Canada for a few years and DS picked up some fun vocabulary. He still says mobile (moBILE) for cell phone and has trouble with adding in u's into words like humor/humour. We all say washroom which throws some people off. He's also a Top Gear head which adds fun words like windscreen to his daily vocabulary. It's a wonder his friends can follow him at all.

We lived in MN when Fargo came out and everyone was so offended, certain that they didn't sound like that. Um yeah you do! We loved it.

• Like 5

My daughter is studying Linguistics and has introduced me to some really interesting reading on the topic of language acquisition/accents/etc.

This book is one I enjoyed very much: Do You Speak American?

Ooh--I'll have to check that out!

I once took some online linguistics quiz and it pinpointed me to my hometown, a place I haven't lived in 25 years. Amazing. This stuff fascinates me.

• Like 1

I love the Aussie accent!  

DH commented the other day that DD has a Texan drawl.  That made me tingly with happiness.  I have no idea where she got it, even though we live in Texas.  Mine is 50% generic American, 35% Minnesota and 15% Texas.  DH is 100% dictionary-correct American.   MIL is posh British.  My parents are 100% Minnesota.  She spends most of her time with us.  

• Like 1

I am an accent chameleon: I automatically adapt to match the accent of the person I am speaking to. It's the result of speaking multiple languages, and it's completely involuntary. I hate it.

I know what you mean.

If I'm speaking English to my Polish family my English takes on a Polish accent automatically - I do it without thinking. And if I speak Polish to my sister, I have a heavy American accent - but not when speaking to my mom.

• Like 2

Me too. I once found a lovely Catholic Church that I thought might really work for me.

Until I realized I couldn't stop groovin' on the priest's aussie accent.

:blushing:

I will never forget my grandparents' *very* Irish priest saying "Give tanks t'God" nor my little brother laughing out loud during Mass the first time he heard it. (He was 5 or 6 at the time.)

• Like 5

I didn't think I really had an accent until I went to Canada. nobody at all could understand me. DH had to translate everything I said into Canadian. So if you are not an Aussie then my accent is pretty strong. I even say G'day and all those types of things in everyday language.

When I was in Canada I couldn't understand what they said LOL. I kept saying to my DH..." I know they are speaking English but I don't understand a word they are saying" It wasn't really the accent...it was they way they used language and such...I didn't get any of their culture references and when people talked to me I felt like I was listening to them in slow motion. LOL The words were the same but the meanings were all different.

Now I'm all messed up... everyone in Australia asks if I am American ... I've picked up DH's accent and since he's Canadian he gets a little ticked off when people ask me that LOL.

When I was younger people always used to ask me if I was a Kiwi... "No that's just my allergies" LOL

• Like 1

At the age of 12, I started making a conscious effort to shed my Okie drawl and talk like the people on tv instead of the people around me. I was only moderately successful. I worked as a waitress for awhile when I was in high school, and some of my customers would ask me where I was from since I didn't sound like a local. But when I moved to NY I wasn't fooling anyone - they knew exactly where I was from!

I haven't lived in OK for 20+ years now, but I still get mixed results. Some people are surprised to learn where I am from because they say that I don't have an Okie accent. On the other hand, when we vacationed in London, the very first person we talked to knew exactly what region of the US I am from!

I guess I need to redouble my efforts.

• Like 2

I used to have a New Jersey accent but I've been in Florida long enough to lose it. I have a basic non-accent other than just generic American that many Floridians have. We have quite a mix of accents here but there isn't really a Florida accent.

I have mostly shed my Hawaiian accent but dh says it comes out when I talk to my mom on the phone.

My mom lost her NJ accent for the most part, but it came out when she talked on the phone to one of her sisters who still live there. It would last a few hours. I could always tell. "Who were you talking to, Aunt H or Aunt S?"

• Like 2

I would really love to know what sort of "feel" American accents have to non-Americans.

What I mean is that to me (and I think to many Americans), an English accent sounds very sophisticated and proper; an Australian accent sounds very warm, friendly, outgoing. So what does an American accent sound like to you? What's the first impression that it gives you?

• Like 3

I would really love to know what sort of "feel" American accents have to non-Americans.

What I mean is that to me (and I think to many Americans), an English accent sounds very sophisticated and proper; an Australian accent sounds very warm, friendly, outgoing. So what does an American accent sound like to you? What's the first impression that it gives you?

I'm no longer qualified to answer - I've been around American accents for too long.

ETA: I do think that Brits are quite able to distinguish different American accents, because we grow up with them through Hollywood, etc.  So the 'feel' might well vary based on which US accent it is.

• Like 5

I've tried to get my husband to talk to me in a British accent. He won't play.  Sigh.

I've got a Southern drawl...except my real Southern friends make fun of my "Yankee" accent that came from living in Florida.

So I'm a mix. I'd probably annoy most of you.

I'd love to have an Australian or British accent. My kids can tell when I've been listening to the BBC.

• Like 2

I once heard a British person say it sounds like we talk with marbles in our mouths. . .

ETA: I do think that Brits are quite able to distinguish different American accents, because we grow up with them through Hollywood, etc.  So the 'feel' might well vary based on which US accent it is.

Yeah I agree, I can hear different American accents. And can usually tell Canadian accents and different Australian accents. We have so much foreign TV & film I think we all grow up hearing a lot of different accents. 

• Like 1

Yeah I agree, I can hear different American accents. And can usually tell Canadian accents and different Australian accents. We have so much foreign TV & film I think we all grow up hearing a lot of different accents. 

Can I say though that what burns my biscuits is to hear an actor with a fake southern drawl. I can spot it a mile away. Ugh. It sounds so grating to me.

Does a fake accent from other areas drive the natives crazy?

• Like 7

Can I say though that what burns my biscuits is to hear an actor with a fake southern drawl. I can spot it a mile away. Ugh. It sounds so grating to me.

Does a fake accent from other areas drive the natives crazy?

Yes.  Dick Van Dyke anyone?  

Some actors are really good though: Meryl Streep for one.

• Like 2

I am an accent chameleon: I automatically adapt to match the accent of the person I am speaking to. It's the result of speaking multiple languages, and it's completely involuntary. I hate it.

I do the same thing, and I am sure it makes me sound horribly fake. It is completely involuntary, though I can mostly avoid the shift if I make a serious conscious effort.

• Like 1