Menu

Your two most-used spices

poppy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already answered but have been thinking this should be a top 5 instead of top 2. And anything in the spice cabinet, don't care whether it's technically a spice or herb. So top 5:

garlic powder

basil

onion powder

chili powder

Italian seasoning

I love cumin and smoked paprika, but they go in fewer things around here. When you try to not use salt, the above get used the most.

I love dill.   I use fresh dill mostly, but even the dried will do in a pinch.

But what do you put it on? Potatoes?

I don't use garlic powder, but perhaps I should start! I do use garlic.... the chopped stuff you get in jars and leave in the fridge.  Is garlic powder better, or just more convenient?

I don't use garlic powder, but perhaps I should start! I do use garlic.... the chopped stuff you get in jars and leave in the fridge. Is garlic powder better, or just more convenient?

You use it where you want a garlic flavor but not chopped or minced garlic.

I prefer fresh garlic I chop, then garlic powder. The jarred stuff doesn't have a good flavor for me and we don't buy it. I tried it a few times and never finshed it. We use garlic everyday.

I don't use garlic powder, but perhaps I should start! I do use garlic.... the chopped stuff you get in jars and leave in the fridge.  Is garlic powder better, or just more convenient?

I put it on a lot of things . It's good in sauces, gravy, on vegetables, in soups, stews, potatoes, fish, eggs, etc. 

Garlic powder has a much stronger flavor than the chopped garlic in the jars.  I used to buy that stuff too, but I find it doesn't have much flavor.  So now I use fresh and/or powdered.  It doesn't work in place of garlic in every circumstance, but many.   

Growing up my mother didn't use fresh herbs and her repertoire of dried spices/herbs was limited to Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.  That was about it.  I tried dill the first time as an adult.  I was blown away.  I was like...what is this wonderful taste?!  And same with rosemary.

I use a lot of herbs.  I love them.  Parsley too.  I love that.  I always tell my husband, don't buy me flowers...buy me parsley.  It's way better than flowers. 

Old Bay (I'm from MD, we put that stuff on everything!) and cilantro (I guess that's an herb, though)

What exactly is Old Bay like?  I heard it mentioned twice this week on cooking shows, and almost got it at the store yesterday but wasn't sure. 

Re: cumin. I want to plot this on a map, LOL! Apparently, cinnamon is super-popular in the US, and super-not in the rest of the anglophone world. I wonder if cumin is similar, is all.

My most commonly used spices and dried herbs, if we're not counting garam masala (which I make myself, thank you) are probably: smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon, thyme, and cardamon, in that order. I don't consider garlic powder a spice, nor yet an herb, but I do use it a lot as well.

Probably garlic powder and curry powder.

We go through garlic salt like nobody's business around here.  We make a lot of garlic toast as the boys like that as a carb side to meals.  Sometimes they even choose that as a snack.

There is also an Asian blend from Costco that we love, and when we use it, we use a LOT of it in each dish, but in terms of actually reaching for things more, it would be the garlic salt, hands down.

What exactly is Old Bay like? I heard it mentioned twice this week on cooking shows, and almost got it at the store yesterday but wasn't sure.

Here's a homemade knockoff recipe that might help imagine the taste. I wouldn't have pegged some of those spices in there. Celery seed and paprika and pepper come out strongest to me. http://leitesculinaria.com/81715/recipes-homemade-old-bay-seasoning-mix.html

Cumin is definitely the most common here. I'd say second would probably be oregano but I use a lot of others commonly: paprika, basil, herbes de Provence, thyme, chili powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric, curry powder. 

I never use garlic powder or onion powder. I do use lots of fresh onions and fresh garlic, probably daily. 

It tastes like Old Bay.  LOL

I'm not crazy about it.  It's hard to explain what it tastes like exactly.

LOL--well the only times I have heard it mentioned was for cajun type recipes, so I assumed it was something spicy.