Menu

Your two most-used spices

poppy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For fun.

What are the two most-used spices in your kitchen, not including salt and pepper?

Mine are cracked red pepper and italian seasoning (we like Tuscan Sunset from Penzey's).

LOL!

Before I even opened your post I decided it was Tuscan Sunset and Chicago Steak Seasoning both from Penzeys.  I use the steak seasoning on steak but also to some other foods. It adds a smokey-pepper flavor to foods like potato soup and fried potatoes. 

Probably cayenne pepper and turmeric, but cumin and mustard seed might win instead-it's hard to tell. Coriander and cinnamon are also very common here. Those are the ones that live in the most accessible spot of the spice cupboard.

I love mustard seeds.  They are kinda difficult to find around here though.  Not impossible, but I usually have to go to a special store.  None of the regular grocery stores usually carry them.

I love mustard seeds. They are kinda difficult to find around here though. Not impossible, but I usually have to go to a special store. None of the regular grocery stores usually carry them.

I almost never buy spices at regular grocery stores either way. They're so expensive there. I had to hunt for my current stock of mustard seeds. I finally found a big bag of them in Mexico City and stocked up. And I knew which spice sellers had them in Kyrgyzstan. :)

I almost never buy spices at regular grocery stores either way. They're so expensive there. I had to hunt for my current stock of mustard seeds. I finally found a big bag of them in Mexico City and stocked up. And I knew which spice sellers had them in Kyrgyzstan. :)

I've thought about ordering some spices on-line.  It would be so much easier than hunting them down at various stores. 

I just wonder which places are reputable.  Maybe someone here knows.

I've thought about ordering some spices on-line. It would be so much easier than hunting them down at various stores.

I just wonder which places are reputable. Maybe someone here knows.

I have expat friends who are Pensey's fanatics. I've personally never ordered spices since half the fun is finding them. But I'd definitely be ordering them if they didn't last long and I had to find them more than a few times a year.

Oh! Cinnamon! How did I not think of that? That might actually be more than thyme here.

That's funny that we're all using so much cumin. When my mother saw that I had a Costco thing of cumin she was like how could you ever use all that? I was like, um, easily, so many things have cumin! I wonder if there's a generation gap on cumin.

Onions, garlic, parsley, cilantro and lemon are all fresh here. Salt is a mineral. So excluding those, which are all very common.

Other than that, wow, tough. Cayenne pepper / red pepper flakes would have to be #1, and after that, cumin and oregano in equal measure. So those three all together make up quite a bit of chili powder.

I get mustard seeds at the local health-food store.  They store them in bulk and sell them by weight - you measure what you want.  I order my Frontier herbs and spices in 1lb foil bags from my United Buying Clubs co-op.  They are very reasonable that way. 

Haha!  Based on just the title I would have said salt and pepper.

I can't pick just two; it depends too much on what I'm making.

Maybe cinnamon and cumin?

Garlic and chili powder?

Nutmeg and parsley?

Mustard powder and bay leaf?

Thyme and ginger?

Oregano and cloves?

and basil, rosemary, dill, cardamom, mace, celery seed, paprika, turmeric, cayenne, sage, cilantro...

probably garlic and cinnamon.

not together, of course!

Montreal steak seasoning and either cinnamon (but then which cinnamon? Yes, I have 3 types.) or homemade taco-y/Tex Mex-y seasoning. I ordered Frontier chili powder in the foil pouch from Amazon, and it is really great!

Least used would be nutmeg, the seasoning of the devil. It is poisonous, ya know? ;)

If you have an Indian grocer nearby, they'll have mustard seeds-both colors.  Indian grocers have excellent spice selection / prices - cumin, cinnamon, mustard seed, coriander, fennel, anise are all ones I picked up on a recent trip.

I am fascinated by the popularity of dill. I don't think I have ever used it in my life.

After actual garlic cloves and onions ;) :

1. oregano / thyme (tie -- not together ;) )

2. cumin

3. rosemary

4. chili powder

5. cinnamon

But, I have a spinning spice rack of 20 different spices, and then another 12-18 bottles of spices in another cupboard, and pots of at least half a dozen live herbs in the yard, and I use them all, so really hard to choose...

If you have an Indian grocer nearby, they'll have mustard seeds-both colors.  Indian grocers have excellent spice selection / prices - cumin, cinnamon, mustard seed, coriander, fennel, anise are all ones I picked up on a recent trip.

I am fascinated by the popularity of dill. I don't think I have ever used it in my life.

I love dill.   I use fresh dill mostly, but even the dried will do in a pinch.