Menu

Do you prefer to read fiction or non-fiction books?

Luanne

Fiction or non-fiction ... which do you prefer?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to read fiction or non-fiction books?

• Fiction
    • Non-Fiction
    • Other

I have so many topics I want to study and skills I want to read up on that I just don't seem to get around to fiction books. 

I do read fanfiction online because I enjoy the community feel of fandoms sometimes.  But then I rotate out and go back to nonfiction. 

Current topics are: knitting, fiber arts, fermented veggies and inventor diaries. 

Definitely non fiction :D right now mainly nursing, the medical field in general, U.S history and history from medieval times until just after WWII. I also prefer documentaries, science and history oriented tv (PBS is my friend, once I start working again I'm going to make monthly contributions to my local channel because they also produce shows about local history)

I enjoy both and I alternate.  I read non-fiction such as biographies, spiritual books, or psych-oriented books recommended for working with my kids.  I like classic fiction and nonfiction.  And I like to throw in a meaty modern novel here and there.  Occasionally I will pick up a less meaty novel such as a James Patterson book just for a change of pace.

The last book I finished was The Primal Wound (NF), and now I'm close to finishing Dickens' Bleak House.

I generally prefer to read fiction unless I am reading to learn about something.  So, for example, before beginning to homeschool, I read a plethora of books about homeschooling.  When my daughter approached high school age, I read many non-fiction books about the college application process.  But, on the whole, I read far more fiction than non-fiction.

Regards,

Kareni

I like both fiction and non-fiction, I like history books or books about specific events or explore-ish adventure books. I also like books that discuss the history of a certain thing. Salt by Mark Kurlansky is riveting and I loved it but it is literally about salt.

I do love fiction and I read it but sometimes the truth is more interesting. :lol: When reading fiction I like Sci-Fi and Fantasy, I like authors such as Neil Gaiman, Patrick Rothfuss, Kurt Vonnagut, Steven Brust, Frank Herbert, Tolkien, Phillip K Dick, and Roger Zelazney.  I also like graphic novels.

I don't like historical fiction when it is about real people. I am too literal and can't seem to be able to just change a historical figure in my head to match the author's story. Phillipa Gregory, she drives me crazy. I tried it but I couldn't cope. Dh wouldn't watch the Tudors with me because I kept yelling at the television.

I don't necessarily read non-fiction to learn, sometimes it is just as much of a story as fiction, I just find it interesting.

I probably read about 75 percent fiction/25 percent non-fiction.

I do like reading non-fiction and learning new things, but almost all of my reading time is at night.  And I need a good storyline to keep me awake.  Non-fiction doesn't usually do that for me.

Voted "other" because of a 50-50 split between fiction and non-fiction.

"Fiction", though, for me is what often is called "literature". "Bestsellers" and their ilk never have attracted me. I can't even explain the difference because I am not trained in literature or in its analysis. Some of what now is called "literature" were among the "NYT Bestsellers" of their time period.

I prefer fiction (I enjoy non-fiction as well, but I'd say most of my reading by choice is fiction), with a balance between heavy/light fiction, in a lot of genres. DD prefers non-fiction. If she reads fiction by choice, she prefers light, fun reads, with a lot of them being fantasy or sci-fi. Inaccuracies in fiction really, really bother her. 

I voted other, because I only enjoy top notch, really good fiction. Although I have been known to go on a mystery or Stewart Woods bender every few years. In absence of really good fiction I love memoirs and books that teach me things. I do a tell all biography every few years. The one about Tom Cruise was so interesting. Before that I thought Scientology was actually scientific, lol, I'm so glad I read the book.

I'd say fiction because that's what I read most.  I'm very selective in what non-fiction I like to read and I go through phases where I read a LOT on a specific non-fiction topic.  (So when I'm in a non-fiction groove, I "prefer" non-fiction.  lol)  I don't tend to head to the non-fiction section first at the library, though, and there is always fiction on my nightstand.

It's not that I have anything against fiction, it's just hard for me to find a book that keeps my interest and is not depressing, or "inspiring", or cliche' or trashy. I prefer biographies. A really book I recently read was "The Company We keep: A Husband and Wife Real life Spy Story" by Robert and Dayna Baer. They met as CIA operatives in the former Yugoslavia. Now that was a good read!

I read non-fiction far, far more often than fiction, but I do relish great fiction, too. I just find a thousand things interesting and there's always a lot I want to know more about.

I like both fiction and non-fiction, I like history books or books about specific events or explore-ish adventure books. I also like books that discuss the history of a certain thing. Salt by Mark Kurlansky is riveting and I loved it but it is literally about salt.

I knew I liked you! I love this sort of thing, too. I've been saying for years I want to read a book about the history of food, except that is probably too broad. But just to delve into how and why certain things catch on as food, while other equally edible things don't; why we season things the way we do and how we came to find those tastes work together...literally would love to read about all the odd ways things have come to be food, as well as why other things didn't really catch on as food.

I am another one in the 50/50 camp.

I love fiction and a good story is an essential part of my routine. Reading fiction at night is my relaxation and refreshment.

But I am constantly learning and reading about all sorts of random things. Homeschooling and content for it is a constant while other interests come and go.

I also seem to go about 50/50, so had to vote other.  

Someone mentioned Salt.  Fabulous book!  I keep meaning to pick up Cod.

But the writer who really got me into nonfiction is John McPhee.  Nobody else could get me to read a book on the US Merchant Marine and love it

Depends on my mood.  I will have long periods where I will read nothing but non-fiction -- usually on a topic of recent interest, then long periods of reading nothing but fiction -- often a particular author or genre.