Menu

Obama's upcoming community college plan

SarahB82

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what's unattainable about community college. Both of my parents were drug addicts, I ran away at 16, didn't have a permanent address for 2 years and I went to community college. If I could do it, anyone can. That's why it's there.

Eta: And if your life is a complete disaster there are already programs in place. I have a friend whose husband left her with 4 kids. She got a 2 year nursing degree that she didn't pay a dime for.

I don't understand what's unattainable about community college. Both of my parents were drug addicts, I ran away at 16, didn't have a permanent address for 2 years and I went to community college. If I could do it, anyone can. That's why it's there.

Eta: And if your life is a complete disaster there are already programs in place. I have a friend whose husband left her with 4 kids. She got a 2 year nursing degree that she didn't pay a dime for.

I think it is far more attainable for a child of drug addicts than for the child who is one of 5 whose parents make just enough money to qualify for no aid but have absolutely nothing left they could contribute to tuition. Same as the mother of 4 who is still married to her husband who makes just enough money to make them in eligible for aid. The community college near me doesn't participate in federal loans, pell grants only. If you don't have cash or a grant, private loans are your only option and they aren't a good option.

I think it is far more attainable for a child of drug addicts than for the child who is one of 5 whose parents make just enough money to qualify for no aid but have absolutely nothing left they could contribute to tuition. Same as the mother of 4 who is still married to her husband who makes just enough money to make them in eligible for aid. The community college near me doesn't participate in federal loans, pell grants only. If you don't have cash or a grant, private loans are your only option and they aren't a good option.

I agree. It isn't for those in dire straits, it's for those who on paper "should" be able to pay for it but can't and are trying to avoid or minimize loans. I would be done paying off student loans now if I had only had them for the last 2 years of a 4 year degree.

From what I've seen, I think it's very promising....but not a lot of details have been released.

I'd like to see it focus on real, accredited not-for-profit community colleges.  No for-profit, degree mills.

Because often community colleges offer real vocational training options, I think it could be huge for many.

I'm optimistic at this point.

My dd's community college tuition this semester, including books and fees was around $2500. Lots of families can't afford that.

Community college programs include lots of programs that are stepping stones to other certifications and degrees. I think offering free community college has amazing benefits for our country.

I did pay for it. I worked full time the entire time. I'm just saying it was attainable.

My dd's community college tuition this semester, including books and fees was around $2500. Lots of families can't afford that.

Community college programs include lots of programs that are stepping stones to other certifications and degrees. I think offering free community college has amazing benefits for our country.

Yes.

I think that the more people that can gain access to a higher education, the better. Better for the individuals, better for the communities, better for the country, & better for the world overall, imo.

I did pay for it. I worked full time the entire time. I'm just saying it was attainable.

WAS attainable. It's physically impossible to work enough hours to pay for college today unless you stretch it to a 6-8 year gig or supplement with loans. Also, some degrees demand much more of the student, so available hours become an issue.

I get it. DH and I put ourselves through school with no parental help. That's just not an option for our daughter. It's so much more expensive in just one generation.

WAS attainable. It's physically impossible to work enough hours to pay for college today unless you stretch it to a 6-8 year gig or supplement with loans. Also, some degrees demand much more of the student, so available hours become an issue.

I get it. DH and I put ourselves through school with no parental help. That's just not an option for our daughter. It's so much more expensive in just one generation.

I only went to community college and this was in 2004-2006. I have nothing to say about 4 year universities as I'm ignorant on the subject.

College is a privilege, not a right. This country doesn't need more dept or higher taxes.

I worked my way through college too. But, the cost of my four year university has increased MUCH more than the minimum wage. It would be much more difficult now than it was then.

But that's an entirely different subject. I don't know what to do about universities. The cost is the reason I didn't go. I wanted to be a teacher.

I think it depends on what state. In Calfornia the cost is a lot lower than other states. When I took cc classes the cost was $11/unit. I paid the first year by working as a hostess. I was a young pregnant mother. Dh and I were definately low income. At the time I would have qualified for every type of aide available but knew nothing about the process. I don't think I could have paid fees and books in another state.

Danielle

Someone posted this on my FB this morning, thinking it was a great idea.  I didn't respond there because I didn't think my response would benefit the poster.  But, I agree that there is no such thing as a 'free lunch'.  Someone is going to be paying for this, and, um, it's probably going to be me.

I see free community college as just an extension of 'free' public education.  My dh is a college professor and in the last ten years he has seen the quality of college prep education, ie. public high school, plummet.  I think it's asinine to continue funding this spiral.  

This is modeled after a program in Tennessee (I think). Does anyone have experience with it there?

I think it's a good idea. I just don't know the logistics. The fact is we have a lot of people graduating high school prepared to do nothing. CCs provide technical training in a lot of areas. Our economy needs people who can do things besides run a cash register.

The news mentioned that on average CC grads make $20,0000 more a year than HS grads. If it is free to everyone now, like HS, I wonder what is to keep a CC diploma from eventually being viewed the same as we view a HS diploma today? There have already been discussions on how Bachelors degrees are losing their value and that many need to get a Masters now. I don't see how this wouldn't accelerate this.

I'm all for it. Lots of kids already get publicly funded CC in high school.

College is becoming unattainable even for kids in higher socioeconomic classes, I hope the bubble bursts soon.

Then again, I had free lunch, and so did my 3 siblings. Only 2 of us went to college because of the costs.

An educated populace is good for the country.
My ds took one class at cc this semester. The class itself was doable but then you are slapped with another couple of hundred in fees plus the textbook was over $100. Couldn't buy it used because you needed the one time use code for the online portion.
Yes, we will all be paying for it. However, I see this as a good use of tax money unless we are bringing manufacturing back; Then we just need nice little workers bees who are smart enough to learn their spot on the line.

This is modeled after a program in Tennessee (I think). Does anyone have experience with it there?

I think it's a good idea. I just don't know the logistics.

TN Promise is in its first year of getting high school seniors to sign up.  (well, ok, sign ups were due in November).   They haven't enrolled in CC yet. no one is sure how it will turn out.   The premise behind the TN program is that it is a Last Resort scholarship to fill last gaps. 

I'd have to learn more about it, but from little I have seen I support it. And I know it will be taxpayer funded, I know what that means, and I am fine with that, happy about it in fact. Apparently it is based on a Tennessee program, that has some good points and some problems.

But I doubt it's going to happen. There is no way he is going to get this through. It's a nice idea but I have zero faith it will be anything more than a thing to talk about. So, I'm not going to get all excited about it.

I like the idea of helping with retraining people, it looks like this would only apply to 'high demand fields'.

I know so many people with families who could go down to one salary and send one parent to school (or one and a half salaries while one person goes down to half time work) but can't afford the tuition, or can't get enough financial aid to make it worth their while. This could make a big difference for a lot of communities. Allowing people to move from hourly wages to salaried lower middle and middle class jobs will benefit the entire tax base. The entire community benefits when people can afford mortgages and feel like they have something to work for. Plus, earning more and being more educated is strongly associated with an increase in marriage. Marriage is increasingly becoming the pervue of the educated middle and upper middle class. If you want to increase marriage rates, if you are the sort who thinks that is important to a stable society, then work to increase access to education and earning.

For me, the key will be to see who it targets. Getting working class and below kids into college has been shown to have a multi-generational effect on families and communities. It makes a huge difference. My mom still talks about how her father, exempt from the draft b/c he was almost deaf, (ear infections as a child an no antibiotics) couldn't serve and then go to college on the GI Bill. The men in the family who did use the GI bill to go to college did much, much better and their kids had much better lives.

Deleted because I am venting about something which none of us has direct control over.

Said venting will lead to arguing and I'm too tired for that already this morning :)

So off I go whistling a happy tune and plugging my ears to the roar that is frustration with government~~

At first I was excited about it--I haven't thought deeply about it, so that may change...it helps to hear all sides.

One thing occurs to me--now, it's easy to get into CC. The only entrance exam (around here, anyway) is a placement exam. There are no requirements like in universities--no "you need 4 years of foreign lang, an SAT of XXXX" etc.

Do you think the entrance requirements would change? Do you think it'd be "first come, first served?"

Do you think a ton more people would take advantage of CC if it were free?

I also agree with the poster who said she'd rather have CC than universal preK.

If CC becomes free, there will be even less incentive for high schools to prepare kids for life or college. 

I would rather see:

a)   " vocational training" in high school that results in the actual license instead of just wasting kid's time and still requiring two years (and a couple thousand dollars) to become a hairdresser, and

b)   " college prep" that doesn't require remediation in college

If this happens and I'm deemed eligible, I'll be going!

I just can't afford it with a "good" household income and 5 kids! (One of whom is in community college on scholarship.)

My "local" cc considers me an out-of-county student, making the tuition nearly the same as our closest university.  Pretty messed up if you ask me!

Well on the one hand I'd be for it, but then I've lived in states that require community colleges to provide classes that are an equivalent to university courses.

If I lived in the states where community colleges are a joke, I might have a whole different opinion.

I would rather pay for community college than preschool and full day kindergarten.

I'd rather get rid of fluff and busywork in high schools, have kids work towards a mastery of the material and take an AP-like exam when they have mastered it.

I'm all for vocational programs being free though.  We've swung way too far into "everyone needs college."  Vocational programs generally lead to good jobs that can't be outsourced.

I'm finding it funny that people are acting like this hasn't ever happened before. Aside from the K-12 system here, which has been going on for quite some time without leading to damnation, there are all the other countries that already have tuition free college. They haven't crumbled into a pit of despair either. 

I think it's a good idea. I just don't know the logistics. The fact is we have a lot of people graduating high school prepared to do nothing. CCs provide technical training in a lot of areas. Our economy needs people who can do things besides run a cash register.

I heard on the news that Tennessee pays out $1000 per year of cc maxing out at $3800 per student and it's funded by the state lottery. Here in Virginia, our cc tuition is probably about $3800 per year.

I have no problem with a state deciding to do this and funding it by lottery or state tax.

I don't have a lot of time to read this am, but this seems similar to what several states already do with their promise programs, although most I know about are for 4 year schools.

Is this primarily for low income?

Our local CC is $1,150 per semester plus fees and books.  That is for full time.  Otherwise it is $72/credit hour.  Tuition is free for dual enrollment students.