Menu

How do you sing "I'm a Little Teapot"?

Jean in Newcastle

That's what Google told me.  I wonder if our family just sang it wrong?  I think we sang "when I saw the teacups I would shout, Just tip me over and pour me out."  

I like your version better. Perhaps there are different versions...or there could be a conspiracy theory lurking somewhere regarding those lyrics.

We had a record with the "/hear me shout /Tip me over /and pour me out" version. Also, it was pretty obvious that there was meant to be punctuation after shout. 

I spent a lot of time playing that song on the little plastic record player trying to figure out if the punctuation was a comma and quotations marks or an exclamation point. Is the teapot actually saying, "tip me over and pour me out" or is it a general, non-verbal instruction?

The version I always sang was

I'm a little teapot

Short and stout

Here is my handle

Here is my spout

When I get all steamed up

Hear me shout

Tip me over

And pour me out

This is the only one I ever heard.

I also liked a "version" by Sheri Lewis:

I'm a little teapot short and stout

Here is my handle (hand on hip)

Here is my (other hand on hip)

Oh no! I'm a sugar bowl!

:)

If you look inside the book, you get the right version (and a lot of extra verses).  http://www.amazon.com/Im-Little-Teapot-Iza-Trapani/dp/1580890105/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418282303&sr=8-1&keywords=I%27m+a+little+teapot+book

And for those of you thinking you need this on your shelves now - let me caution you that the tune gets a little old by the 30th page...

You will also note that the punctuation question is resolved.

I used the "steamed up" and "just tip me over" version.

So am I the only one who never sang this song except far, far back in my youth? Is that why my boys have issues in life?

We never used tea pots or kettles in our house. I'll confess to using our microwave to heat water for tea. It just has a bell when it's ready.

Well, there's your problem. The microwave doesn't heat the water properly. THAT's why your boys have issues in life.

I'm a little teapot

Short and stout

Here is my handle

Here is my spout

I will shout

Just tip me over

And pour me out!

Here me shout

Just tip me over

And pour me out!

The bolded/slashed through are the only differences with my song and yours. 

or - What Horton said. 

We looked up the lyrics and it said "when I get all steamed up". . .    Is that right?  I can't remember how I've sung it but it wasn't like that.  

I thought it was something about teacups.  

That's how we sing it.

"When I get all steamed up, hear me shout!

Tip me over, and pour me out"

I've heard both versions, but the "steamed up" version much more often.  It made more sense to me because a teapot (or teakettle) whistles when it gets hot enough for tea. 

I never sang this as a kid and my kids only learned it from a few PBS shows.  But, several of the people I climb with like to joke around with each other.  When someone is climbing and being a whimp, not trying very hard and wants to give up, their belayer often makes the climber sing "I'm a little teapot" in order to be let down.  It is really funny to see a great-looking 25 year-old sheepishly singing this for all to hear. 

I remember 'When it gets to tea-time, Hear me shout'. It can't be boiling (because it's a teapot, not a kettle) and 'steamed up' sound unfamiliar to me.

L

We use the similar line "When the tea is ready, hear me shout"

I wonder if this is a British/Canadian thing. Our teapots don't boil!

I sing it this way:

I'm a little teapot,

Short and stout,

Something,

Something,

Something,

I don't know!

Bill

Reminds me of the Terry Pratchett book where he mentioned that Ankh-Morpork, realizing that all anyone knew of the second verse of their national anthem was "ner ner ner", had made the words of the second verse mostly "ner ner ner"