Menu

At what age did / will you give your kid a house key?

SKL

The other day I mentioned in a group of parents that I would give my kids a key when they are ready to come home to an empty house (not yet).  The reaction was "no, you don't want to give your kids a key."  I was wondering what I am missing?

Our lock uses a key or a code, and DS has had the code for quite some time. He doesn't really *need* it, but he unlocks the door for me when we arrive home and he's carrying groceries in, that sort of thing.

This. They're rarely out when one parent isn't home though.

He has one to his dads house and one to ours. He uses the one to his dads house when I drop him off for visitation if his dad isn't home yet. He doesn't use our house key much....if he has it on him he opens the door if we are too slow for him.

I think he has had both keys since he was 13.

Um, never?

Because we have one hidden on our property and there are housekeys on the car keys.

It is easier for anyone without the car keys to just use the hidden one. One less thing to carry around and worry about.

This is the way my family did it when I was growing up. It always has worked so I don't see any reason to change it.

When we started living with fil who insisted all doors to the outside be locked all of the time. You step outside with the dog to let her go (within site of the door), and he would lock you out. Before that no one needed a key because the back door was always unlocked. 

My sister and I got them at 9 & 11 when we became "latchkey kids" (for about an hour each day). My parents needn't have bothered with my sister--she lost hers repeatedly. I did too, occasionally and we relied on the hidden spare. Which my sister also lost a few times...we had to wait outside for mom a few times :)

I've considered giving my almost-5-year-old one just for fun as he loves to open the door and loves to wear a lanyard with an ID and keys. But I've concluded it's too much work for me to keep track of it for now, so he just uses my key.

I've had my parents' debit PIN since age 12 so I could use the ATM for convenience's sake. My kid will get a key when it is convenient for me :)

The other day I mentioned in a group of parents that I would give my kids a key when they are ready to come home to an empty house (not yet).  The reaction was "no, you don't want to give your kids a key."  I was wondering what I am missing?

I'm as baffled as you. Did they give any reasonable answers?

If a child is ready to enter an empty house be home alone, then they need a key (unless you never lock your door).

Mine get a key the day they have any reason to be out of the house without me. I might be stuck in line at the grocery store when a friend drops them off, so they need to be able to get in the house.

Also, because I tend to lock myself out of the house. :blushing:  I was trying to be a "Big Girl's Mommy" when I dropped Diamond off for her first day of volunteer work at the library- you know, let her be all independent and "big." Got home, realized we were locked out, so I had to drive back to the library and have them find her so I could get her key. Yeah, the Sweetie was "Big" now. She made me wait OUTSIDE the employee lounge while she got her key. :coolgleamA:  They had cookies and snacks in there! :glare:

This summer my oldest, 14yro, needed one. He was gone all day at ballet camp and when he was done for the day, I was off picking up little brother at theater camp. So, a key was needed. I don't see the big deal, I would have given it to him sooner, but he didn't need it until now.

We are trying to think of a place to hide a key on our small city property. I can't imagine he is going to hang on to that key for long, lol. He can't keep a library card for more than 6 weeks.

Why would one not want their kid to have a key? Would it be better if my kid were standing on the porch in the dead of winter?

My kids have their own house keys to the three homes they're at most often.

I'd guess the youngest was about six when they got the first set?

I don't see the harm in having a set made - be good to have on hand for any unforeseen need.

We have keys to almost everyone's houses (in my family), so I'm guessing we were making extra copies of someone's keys and the kids saw the designer key blanks. They probably asked for and got them. There is no real reason for them to have keys otherwise, at least to my house - someone is always home.

I lose keys pretty regularly, so I'm glad my 9 year old always has hers on her. If my car key didn't cost $400, I'd give her one of those, too LOL.

I'm as baffled as you. Did they give any reasonable answers?

If a child is ready to enter an empty house be home alone, then they need a key (unless you never lock your door).

It wasn't in a situation where I would have wanted to argue about it, but one of the parents said they use a key code instead.  I think her kid is in middle school.

I suppose they are afraid someone could steal the key and bust into the house?  Or maybe the concern is that they could lose the key and be locked out?  The second is quite possible - it happened to us as kids multiple times - but to me that sounds like more of an inconvenience than a danger.  Assuming there is a plan B or the kids will only be home alone for a relatively short time.

Our kids are 15 and 18 and neither of them has a house key.  Oldest has a garage door opener in his vehicle.  We never lock the door between the house and garage when we're gone, and so that's the entry point we all use.  Youngest will have his own garage door opener when he starts driving in a few months.  The very few times he's had to come home w/o me here, we've given him a spare garage door opener.  Come to think of it, I'm not even sure that DH has a house key. 

Do they still need actual keys? I don't know anyone who doesn't have a garage door code and the kids all seem to know that at a very early age.  I always keep a spare key in the garage (incase the inside door is locked) and a spare key hidden outside incase the power is out.  While everyone has house keys on their key ring with their car, I can't think of anyone who actually uses them, they all enter the house via the garage car remote if in the car, or the garage code if out walking. 

If she's coming home when I'm not going to be there. DH works from home, but he doesn't always hear the doorbell upstairs, especially not if he's on aconference call and has his headset on, and we don't leave the door unlocked when there's no one downstairs. I do leave it unlocked when DD goes out to ride her scooter or something so she doesn't have to carry a key. She's been able to unlock the door and let herself in since she was 5 or 6.

We have several spares kept on the mantle that she can grab if she needs one. If she ever wanted to keep one full-time, I'd gladly let her do so, but she doesn't normally carry a purse yet. At this point, she might need one once a month, if that.

Do they still need actual keys? I don't know anyone who doesn't have a garage door code and the kids all seem to know that at a very early age.  I always keep a spare key in the garage (incase the inside door is locked) and a spare key hidden outside incase the power is out.  While everyone has house keys on their key ring with their car, I can't think of anyone who actually uses them, they all enter the house via the garage car remote if in the car, or the garage code if out walking. 

There are only two houses on my block that even have driveways, and both their garages are detached from the house. Around here, I can only think of two houses at all that have driveways that are attached.

Many people in the US live in older homes that do not have attached garages, and many people do not live in neighborhoods where you might want to leave an unlocked entry point like a back door (or believe they do, anyway, which amounts to the same thing).

You do know that not everyone has a garage, right? I don't live in suburbia. We don't have garages in the city. I have a stoop and a front door.

I was a latch key kid - so I had a key since late elementary school.  My sister was supposed to be babysitting, so she was home when I came home from school before that.

my kids had keys when they were likely to be coming  home by themselves/no one would be home.  jr. high age.  (and responsible enough not to lose it.)

dudeling doesn't have a key - as I still require he has an adult around if I'm not.   conveniently - I still have one at home and he's currently between quarters at college.

I gave dd a key in 6th grade, when we were carpooling to and from middle school, on the off-chance that she might arrive home when no one was here.  I attached it to the little plastic hook inside the front pocket of the backpack, which she doesn't even need to take it off of in order to use it.

This summer my oldest, 14yro, needed one. He was gone all day at ballet camp and when he was done for the day, I was off picking up little brother at theater camp. So, a key was needed. I don't see the big deal, I would have given it to him sooner, but he didn't need it until now.

We are trying to think of a place to hide a key on our small city property. I can't imagine he is going to hang on to that key for long, lol. He can't keep a library card for more than 6 weeks.

Why would one not want their kid to have a key? Would it be better if my kid were standing on the porch in the dead of winter?

I want my family to be able to get into the house.

But that doesn't necessarily mean everyone needs their *own* key.

I wrote how we handle it above.

I don't know about my neighbors, but I have never had a keypad to enter house or garage.  My kids and I don't enter thru the garage because I don't park in there (two other people do).  Although we do have an automatic garage door opener, I don't keep a remote myself, and I'm sure it would be simpler to give my kids a door key than to procure a garage door opener for them.  :)  Plus, we may or may not lock the door between the garage and the house on any given day.

I have a garage, but I lock the door that leads from it into the house - day, night, home or away. It has a deadbolt and an eye hole.

The airport parking lot I parked at every month had a series of car break-ins. They'd use GPS or insurance cards to find the address, use the clicker or in-car button to access the garage, and then enter the house through the unlocked door leading into it from the garage. A man on my team had his car and home broken into. That was too close for comfort, I had elderly grandparents and little kids living at my house.

So now I lock the garage-to-house door, I don't program my car's button to open the garage on my insurance card (but I do program it to open the garage doors of my relatives), and I toss my clicker into my bag when I lock and leave my car parked.

Um, never?

Because we have one hidden on our property and there are housekeys on the car keys.

It is easier for anyone without the car keys to just use the hidden one. One less thing to carry around and worry about.

This is the way my family did it when I was growing up. It always has worked so I don't see any reason to change it.

I don't know if I'd say never but this is what we do.  We have a key hidden, and we don't always lock the door when we go out anyway.  Ds sometimes gets impatient and grabs the spare key to let himself in if we did lock the door.

Oldest dd got a key when there was a chance she'd get home and no one would be there.  Probably 12 or 13.

We live on a dead-end street in a dead-end neighborhood in a dinky, little house.  Our garage is detached and wouldn't hold a car anyway.  Most people I know carry a key.

We have a garage but not one with a panel outside. ATM one of the two door lifters is broken and of course, that's the one that has the car clicker programmed to it. I could manually reset the system to have the clicker open the other door but it's a complete PITA to change. So for right now, we are just parking in the driveway and walking up to the front door.

At some point, we'll bite the bullet and replace the entire system (probably when the other door lifter breaks) but it's not a high budget priority for us.

WRT the original question of a house key, I probably should make up a key ring for oldest DD (she's turning 12 in October). She has a cell phone and has been responsible about that so there's no reason not to give her a key instead of making her use the hidden spare.

They get the garage code around middle school.  I don't have to worry about lost keys that way.  I don't give them the code before they are old enough to #1. need it and #2 know to not let friends see the code as they type it in.  

It wasn't in a situation where I would have wanted to argue about it, but one of the parents said they use a key code instead.  I think her kid is in middle school.

I suppose they are afraid someone could steal the key and bust into the house?  Or maybe the concern is that they could lose the key and be locked out?  The second is quite possible - it happened to us as kids multiple times - but to me that sounds like more of an inconvenience than a danger.  Assuming there is a plan B or the kids will only be home alone for a relatively short time.

Well, I will say that if I had a code that would open a door, none of us would have or even need house keys, I guess. It would be nice.

Do they still need actual keys? I don't know anyone who doesn't have a garage door code and the kids all seem to know that at a very early age. I always keep a spare key in the garage (incase the inside door is locked) and a spare key hidden outside incase the power is out. While everyone has house keys on their key ring with their car, I can't think of anyone who actually uses them, they all enter the house via the garage car remote if in the car, or the garage code if out walking.

Wow, you really don't know anyone without a garage key code or powered garage door? I can't imagine everyone I know having these! I don't.

We have an attached garage, and there is no garage door opener. :svengo:  We have to actually get out of the car- rain, snow, or shine, and unlock the door with a key and lift it manually.

Wow, you really don't know anyone without a garage key code or powered garage door? I can't imagine everyone I know having these! I don't.

This made me chuckle.  :laugh:

We don't even have a garage. No one in our neighborhood does. A few have carports, but most have been converted into additional living space.

We're city folks, and Middle Girl just got her first house key and bus pass on a lanyard so she can take the bus from our house to dh's office, the art museum, and the library (all at the same stop). She's very excited about beginning middle school, and being old enough to take the city bus by herself.

ETA: Like most of the homes here, no garage, just a carport. Lots of people in the neighborhood have only a short driveway, or just park on the street.

Well I did say everyone I know.  I wasn't thinking about NYC, but I don't have any friends with kids in the city anymore.  

I don't live in NYC, lol. Just a regular small city in upstate NY. No garages in the city limits, unless grandfathered in. The few that are around are all too small/shallow for modern cars and are used for storage. They are more of an out building than a real garage. The houses in the city are all one driveway width apart, if they even have a driveway.

But, really, plenty of people do not have a garage. When I lived out in the country there was no garage, only a couple decrepit barns on the property. I certainly wasn't putting my car in one of those. Those barns moved in a strong wind.

I was given one in high school since prior to that I didn't really need one since I was usually with a parent most of the time and we'd just use the garage door opener from the car. I'd give my child a key as soon as they have a constant need for one, like walking home from school.

We don't have a key code pad, I don't really want one. Two of our neighbors are the only ones that do on our street of 6 houses.

Well I did say everyone I know.  I wasn't thinking about NYC, but I don't have any friends with kids in the city anymore.  

But you do know this thread is for people you don't know right? People who live in apartments, people who live in houses without garages, people who live in houses with detached garages... Your first post was rather strange, seeming to dismiss that children in general might need keys because no one YOU know would need them. :huh: :confused1:

To answer the original post, my kids haven't needed them but I will be giving one to my 13 year old soon as she will be coming home to an empty house for a couple hours each Tuesday this year. I would have gotten either of my kids a key earlier had they needed it. I don't see why you wouldn't give your child a key as needed. But I'm generous with my keys. A few of my siblings and my MIL all have a key to my house.

Growing up, my parents never locked the door.  So I didn't have one until I was in college.

My son is almost 11, and I would trust him with one.

DS2 is 9.  He lost his belt today at school.  He wore it to school, and is not sure how it got lost.  Not sure if he's ready quite yet.

Growing up, my parents never locked the door. So I didn't have one until I was in college.

My son is almost 11, and I would trust him with one.

DS2 is 9. He lost his belt today at school. He wore it to school, and is not sure how it got lost. Not sure if he's ready quite yet.

Lol! That reminds me of the booking . com commercial where the family with three kids is trudging up the hallway and the dad says "and this one left his shoes on the plane. His shoes!"