Menu

Just verbally attacked. I am shaking

Halcyon

It's an awful experience, for sure, and especially if you didn't see it coming.

I hope you're able to find some way to calm your nerves and center yourself - for me that would be a long, hot shower (where I'd re-enact the situation but saying all the things I was too shocked to say in the moment) followed by something hot, chocolate and decadent.  Like Shemar Moore.

I mean, like something from Starbucks.

Hopefully this wasn't someone you'll have to run into again anytime soon.

Thank you all. No, I will never see her again, thank God. It was very unexpected. I did retort but then said "This isn't productive and you need to walk away" and then she kept following me. Then the property owner (I was at another home) told her she needed to get off the property and she proceeded to berate him and say how I attacked her verbally. I can't even fathom what just happened to me. 

I feel like vomiting.

Goodness, Halcyon.  That's awful.  Have you been able to remove yourself from the situation completely?  Is there someone local you can talk to?  So sorry!!!!!!  

I am too shaken up to talk, actually. I am a tough chick usually but this individual is seriously crazy. I don't say that lightly. Other people warned me about her but I didn't expect her to confront me personally, at a vulnerable moment, without warning.

I am having a stiff drink, to be honest. 

Tough doesn't necessarily mean you throw yourself on top of a verbal grenade; it means you maneuver around the thing to get to the other side in one piece.

Because crazy is crazy ... not being able to deal with crazy has nothing to do with toughness and everything to do with instinct.

And your instinct stepped in. You stopped retorting and literally tried to maneuver around the thing to get to the other side in one piece. ;)

Who knows how this situation might have escalated had you continued to engage her assertively!

No amount of tough ever beats out crazy.

You're not just tough, you're smart.

And hopefully starting to get a buzz.

It sounds like you did fine.  You didn't escalate the situation, and you didn't just stand there: you said something and other good people helped you.  That was the right outcome!  The toughest people get the shakes when the adrenaline fades! 

I hope the Universe sends some random acts of kindness your way to make up for it. :)

And some random act of ass-kicking the way of the nutter who attacked her.   :glare:

Sorry Halcyon-- I can empathize.  Hope you can put it out of your mind soon.  Enjoy your dinner out!

:grouphug:

This reminds me of a situation I had a work years ago. I was working in a publishing company, and there was an author who was infamous in the company for his weird behavior and rudeness. He could be quite demanding.

He seemed to really like me, though. He said I had a good phone voice--strong and firm and very soothing. He and I got on well. So well, in fact, that others started asking me to deal with him for all manner of minor details. If this guy needed to be called, I was the one who called him. He could be pushy or sometimes called too much, but on the whole he and I had an amicable working relationship.

Until one day when I had a really busy day.

I was having the kind of day in which I ran a million errands all over the building and called a million people about a million details. There were deadlines to be met that day. Things to be mailed. Etc. I was not at my desk much. Normally I tried to check voicemail first thing, mid-day, and late in the afternoon, but this day I didn't have time until quite late in the day.

Before I checked my voicemail, two odd things happened. One is that flowers were delivered to me. From the high maintenance author. The other is that he called and I was actually at my desk and able to answer. He apologized for being impatient. I was mystified. It came out that I hadn't checked voicemail in hours, and he begged me to just erase my voicemail and not listen.

I wish I had done so.

The author had tried calling in the morning, but I hadn't answered. He continued calling, and decided that I was avoiding him and not returning his calls on purpose. He had called the front desk to make sure I was working that day. His numerous messages became angrier and angrier. His last message was a long-winded, ugly, VERY personal diatribe that left me shaking. I couldn't get the stink of his ugly words off of me for days.

His apology and his flowers didn't help. It was so ugly. The flowers actually ended up feeling really creepy to me. I did have to deal with him in future, but avoided doing so as much as possible. I was thankful when I left that company not too much later that I would never have to deal with that author again. My one regret was that he knew my full name.

So, been there, done that, and so sorry it happened to you. Be kind to yourself. That woman's issues are within her own tortured soul, and have nothing to do with you.

:grouphug:

I have been verbally attacked twice -- completely out of left field -- this past year. One was on public transit by a hallucinating woman and the other by a mentally unstable customer at work. 

Both times, as soon as I was able to get away from these toxic people, I cried. Like full out bawled my eyes out. 

And I felt like a baby for doing so. But, you know what? That is my body's way of releasing stress and anxiety. I throw myself a little pity party, pick up the pieces, and keep on keeping on. 

And you are too. Because unfortunately, as humans, we can never fully get away from toxic people. But, we learn how to navigate. 

And you, my friend, navigated the situation *very* well. You laid out your boundaries: "This isn't productive and you need to walk away". It is not your fault that they could not be reasoned with, but you handled it the best you could with the options you had. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I am sorry. This happened to me with a horrible woman who came into our restaurant, made a big Pharisee prayer with a group of friends, ate all her food, her friends ate all their food, said they liked it when asked, and then she made an ugly speech about how the restaurant is no longer special now that we are the owners. She sounded like the maid from The Help, only in reverse, you are not special, you are not special.

I am sorry. This happened to me with a horrible woman who came into our restaurant, made a big Pharisee prayer with a group of friends, ate all her food, her friends ate all their food, said they liked it when asked, and then she made an ugly speech about how the restaurant is no longer special now that we are the owners. She sounded like the maid from The Help, only in reverse, you are not special, you are not special.

So I'm wondering if she'll be back for some pie.

Sorry that happened to you, Anne, that's just wrong.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I've been through that . . . a crazy out-of-the-blue confrontation that I got through saying very little, but once it was over I was completely unnerved, cold, and my teeth were chattering. It was the freakiest thing and sometimes I STILL shake my head and wonder WTH that was. Normally I'm not easily rattled, but it happened at a tough time when my nerves were already shot. Talk about timing. Thankfully this is a person I never expect to see again.

Tough doesn't necessarily mean you throw yourself on top of a verbal grenade; it means you maneuver around the thing to get to the other side in one piece.

Because crazy is crazy ... not being able to deal with crazy has nothing to do with toughness and everything to do with instinct.

And your instinct stepped in. You stopped retorting and literally tried to maneuver around the thing to get to the other side in one piece. ;)

Who knows how this situation might have escalated had you continued to engage her assertively!

No amount of tough ever beats out crazy.

You're not just tough, you're smart.

And hopefully starting to get a buzz.

:hurray:  Well said, Ripley!

Maybe I am not so tough after all.

Yes you are! I remember all you went through regarding your business, etc. You handled things beautifully, professionally! Being verbally abused by someone, especially when you are vulnerable, would shake the strongest soul. You said this individual is crazy. Keep that in mind as you process what happened and then do what you need to do to move on and not give this individual another minute of your time and energy. Hugs!

I react the same way to being verbally attacked, not that it has happened often. I still remember one incident so clearly that if I think about it too much I will start hyperventilating and my blood pressure sky rockets. My son was verbally accosted by a mentally ill women when he was 6, and it gave him nightmares for weeks. He would run back into our apartment if he heard her coming down the stairs.