Menu

What do you LOVE about your house?

ChristineP

I love:

**having a huge garden

**neighbors far enough away to not see them but close enough for comfort and help ( about half a mile)

**having horses and future rescue chickens

**feels like a vacation spot with our pond and trees

**dd loves taking photos and being outdoors

Lots of work and some negatives but I love where we live! !

Location: Walking to the library and our little Old Town area with summer concerts and ice cream.  Multiple playgrounds in walking distance.

Our backyard.  :)  Patio, deck, handmade fountain from DH, just enough raised garden to grow a few veggies, paths with curves.

Minimal yard work (HOA takes care of front yard, we take care of back).  Minimal payment to HOA - $30 per month.  Other than yard work and snow removal, they stay out of our business.

Our set up allows for DH to work from home while we homeschool.  

Too many bathrooms.  :)  Really.  4 is too many.  I suppose we could each pee at once.

No carpet, we've replaced all flooring.

Our wall colors.  :)

We are in the city but near an old downtown strip that gives us the 'feel' of a small town.  We can walk to that strip and do a lot of our shopping and socializing there.  But our city's downtown cultural attractions are literally 10 minutes' drive away.

Our house was built in the 1920's, and has hardwood floors, tallish ceilings, and lots of dark mahogany framing and trim.

The lot is deep, and we have planted a nice handful of fruit trees here.

There are no bugs outside in the evening.

It cools off at night here, and when we redid the roof a few years back we added an attic fan.  If we run it late in the evening, it sucks all the hot air out of the attic space, so the house cools off a lot over night.

We have a master suite :-) on the main floor.  The girls each have a bedroom and a loft area upstairs.  My son and any foster boys have their own bedrooms and a family room downstairs.  This might seem like overkill but with foster care it really is nice to have a girl floor (with their own bath) and a boy floor (with their own bath) with dh and I on the middle floor with our own bath.

We have his and her barns.  I have a 4 stall horse barn.  Dh has a large pole barn with a auto hoist and area for his welding, auto repair stuff, etc.

We are country but have a township park across the road and down about 1/4 mile.  We have a wonderful hiking/biking/horseback riding/cross country skiing park about 4 miles away (that people drive hours to come to in the winter for the skiing) and a huge open recreation area for walking, biking, horseback riding, fishing, etc. 4 miles away.

I love a main floor laundry.

I love that my late brother loaned me the down payment for my home.

I love that it was the first house I ever bought AND I was a single mom of three at the time.

I love that my youngest three only remember this house.

I really like my house.  I like the location, the yard, and the floor plan.  I like the fact that you can see half of the house from every spot on the first floor (unless you're in the bathroom).  I like the fact that it has three full bathrooms.  I like the view from each of the windows.  I like the wooden parquet flooring in the entryway/hall downstairs, and the other stuff that's varnished wood.  I even like the furniture that was left behind by the previous owner.  Most of all, I like the fact that it's paid off.  ;)  The price was really reasonable considering how comfortable the house is.

I don't really love our house, but it has three things I really like: double oven, attached two-car garage, and en suite master bath. None of those things were on our "must  have" list until we moved in, and now I don't think I could ever move into another house that didn't have them.

I like my kitchen counterspace.

I like having the den right off the kitchen, and the den has a sliding door to the patio.

Even though I wish it wasn't so buggy and I'm not terribly fond of the trees, I do like the total privacy we have. Our driveway is about 550 ft long, and no one else lives back here.

The screen porches.  We have three:  one fairly big one in front, one smaller one off the kitchen (where we eat all summer long), and a sleeping porch upstairs (where all of our kids slept on cots every summer).

I love the neighborhood - it's one of those ones where everyone knows you, everyone looks out for each other, and is friendly. People talk to each other, get each other's mail, etc.

I love that my house is paid for. After having a house with a mortgage I said never again will I do a mortgage.

I love that we have a lot of birds - we've seen other the last year vultures, red tailed hawks, scissor-tailed flycatchers, blue jays and more. We have multiple pairs of cardinals that nest in our trees, and dd loves to watch them.

It's big. We've always lived in modest-size homes--1000 sq. ft. or less--and this is over 3000.  :001_wub:

Four full bathrooms--one downstairs, two jack-and-jill baths upstairs, plus the master. :001_wub:

Three guest bedrooms, plus a game room, plus the family room, plus the living room, plus the dining room, plus the breakfast nook. :001_wub: Both of my daughters and their dhs can stay here and have their own bedrooms and bathrooms. We once had 12 young women here for two weeks for a homeschool speech-and-debate event, and there was plenty of room.  :001_wub:

I love our neighborhood. It's safe, quiet, and beautiful. 

I love our yard- it's large, interesting, and we have stuff for the kids to play on here so they don't always want to go somewhere else.

I love our porch. It's pretty, covered, and has fans to keep it pleasant. I only wish it was more private.

I like that we have a basement so I can feel safer during storms.

I love that every bedroom has a walk in closet. It would be hard to go back to dinky closets.

I have a kitchen island that is 8x7.  It is humongous, and as soon as we remodeled our kitchen, I instituted a rule that if you put something to rest on my island, I will throw it away.  And I did.  So no one ever lays mail, keys, wallet, purse or junk on my island, leaving me 56 square feet of uncluttered space (except for the 36" cooktop).  Of course they put their crap on the floor below or on my breakfast room table, but it is not on my island.

I really love almost everything about my house now.  It was ugly when we moved in, but we have done a lot of work that I have been very, very happy with.  I do not regret any changes we have made to (or money we have spent on) the house.

Normal sized bathrooms (I really don't like houses with bathrooms the size of small bedrooms...ours are the perfect size)

Neighborhood layout (10 acre minimum lots so we have neighbors close enough for the kids to ride bikes over to play but not on top of us)

great kitchen and great outdoor living areas (porches)

large unfinished walkout basement that we are currently working on (it will have a guest suite and rec room by fall which should cut down on the noise level in the rest of the house significantly)

The original hardwood floors throughout most of the house. 

The nice size walk-in closets for a 1920s bungalow

The finished attic dormer where ds lives

The deck

The fact it's on a corner

The detached garage

How the air flows through the house with the windows open

The original pantry in the kitchen that runs floor to ceiling

I love our master bed/bath and that it's on the first floor.

I love that all other bedrooms are on second floor. (not sure I would have felt that way when kids were babies/toddlers)

I love that we have enough room to host family and friends frequently.

I love that we have a deck and inground pool off of the family room (and the dh is sole caretaker of said pool)

I love that we have a little over an acre of property and everything is green right now.

I love our two car garage. Never had one before this house and will never go back to not having one.

I love that we have enough bedrooms for a dedicated schoolroom and an office for dh, who works from home. And room for all the grandbabies to nap:)

Hmmm. I love that since we redid everything when we moved in, we know that it's insulated properly, has new windows and is well built. 

I love our location. We're on a rural road, but are only 5 min either direction to the 2 nearest towns. 

I love that we're on a dirt road with very little traffic. 

I love our stream that runs along the edge of our property and I love that even when we had an epic flood that washed our road out in 2011 (Irene), that the water didn't come anywhere near our house. 

I like our neighbors. We have 2 that are close and they're both great. The type that looks after our house when we're gone and plow us out in the winter.

I like that since we redid everything, all of our appliances are newer. 

I designed my house from the ground up, built 80% of it all by myself, have finished framing in interior walls, and am starting on the fun things like my bathroom vanity, converted from a 1920s wash stand...

I can honestly say there is nothing about my house that I don't love.   :)

I love my soaking tub and master bath

I love my Master bedroom and closet. It isn't the biggest out there but it is nice.

I love our high vaulted ceilings in living room and dining area.

I love our paved driveway

I love our 2 car garage

I love our front yard.

I love my 4'x8' island in the kitchen.

I love the vaulted ceilings in the main living area. It helps it feel less closed in over the winter.

I love that we have 3 bathrooms, which is plenty for our family.

I love the giant garden with raised beds and a cute picket fence around it that I have.

I love that I was able to plan out the entire area and the corral system myself and that I can move anything from the bottom of our property all the way to the top and never have to worry about an animal getting loose.

The fact that we have enough room for some livestock, a large garden, and plenty of play space for the kids.

The fruit trees (some established, some that we've planted since moving in).

The color we painted the living room.

The freedom to largely do what we want with the property (no HOA, fairly minimal state/county regulations).

The view is kinda nice.

The fact that we can pay it off within a reasonable timespan.

It is oriented right - the wide side of the house is south-facing. This makes it easier for us to do active/passive solar. It would have been a real pain if it was oriented north/south.

Normal sized bathrooms (I really don't like houses with bathrooms the size of small bedrooms...ours are the perfect size)

Yeah, I don't understand the love of huge bathrooms. I'd rather have the space go towards living areas. Our bathroom is by no means huge, but has excess space (a whole 18sq ft or so!) that I'd rather use for something else.

• Pretty safe neighborhood with no HOA

Location convenient to major roads, shopping, and airport

Pretty good HVAC system

High enough ceilings for tall people to be comfortable

The kitchen has doors I can close and a separate dining room.

Beautiful site finished hardwood floors is by far the best feature of our house, LOVE them!

HUGE (relatively) kitchen

Gorgeous location on top of a hill, surrounded by hills and national forest land

Rural enough to have privacy but relatively close to "town"

I love my house :)

--large kitchen w space for the largest wood table IKEA makes, easily seating 8

--master bedroom w walk-in closet and a decently-sized bath (missing a tub though so we'll remodel eventually)

--an office for dh to work from home

--full unfinished dry walk-out basement, someday to be finished

--gorgeous huge deck w integrated lights (added two years ago)

--our yard backs to protected green space with a large creek

--lots and lots of windows for lots and lots of light

--space for all the kids' things

--full attic for storage

--large closets everywhere

We moved from a house with hardly any storage, a dark small kitchen, a yard measured in feet, and neighbors smushed up against us. This current house was very sad when we bought it---a neglected foreclosure which required years of hard work---but is now just about perfect :)

I love our neighborhood. I love that we can easily walk to restaurants, live music, the organic farmers' market, theatre and ballet performances, grocery stores, drugstores, and even to church. (We don't walk to all those places but we could lol). I love living in a university town (well technically, a small city), though I may complain about students who cannot cross a street properly (see those 'walk/don't walk' symbols? Those aren't suggestions, people!).

I love that my parents lived in the neighborhood on the other side of our creek. I loved that we could go easily back and forth. I wish they were still alive for us to do that again.

I love our large front porch and the fact that we're up on a hill.  Those were two big selling points for us! 

The downside is that when our elderly parents visit, it's getting harder and harder for them to hike up the stairs to that front porch.  But we're going to enjoy it as long as we have it!

big lot

middle of the city - close to everything, but feels like the country, near a greenbelt

being able to watch the hawks circle overhead.  even saw a balde eagle

view of the city and the mts, sunsets

I've upgraded the finish work to make it feel more traditional (hardwood/tile floors, base- door- window- molding). growing up  I spent lots of time at a great-aunt's 1920's house (her first husband built it - he was a cabinet maker) and the changes in the interior finish work makes me feel more like I did when I was at her house.  I was actually surprised I could *feel* the difference it made to me.

huge garage

basement - we put a home theater down there.  (ds insisted on 7.1 sound), dh has a gym too.

divided my yard into "areas" with specific types of gardens (what else are you going to do with a huge slope?) the rhodies are currently in bloom.

closet organizers.  my spatial sense is fed by having the closets more efficient and functional

my kitchen - lots of counter space, duel-fuel range, counter-depth fridge (half the family has moved out, I don't need a full depth one anymore) that doesn't stick out five inches!

having a laundry room

I love:

• That it's in the big city, close to any and everything we could want
  • That we have a garage, front yard, back yard, and washer/dryer
  • That we really don't even need a car (but we have one), since we can walk everywhere and the public transportation is great
  • That there's a ceiling fan in every room
  • That I figured out how to make 900 square feet work for 5 people
  • That we have so many windows
  • That my MIL is right across the street
  • That even though it's cozy, everyone has private space
  • That it was built over 100 years ago and has the same gorgeous wood floors and decorative moldings

I love my neighborhood. Townhouses with mostly nice neighbors, lots of people who will look out and help if you ask. We have neighborhood cookouts 3-4 times through spring-summer-fall (always July 4 and Halloween, plus other days, probably this weekend).

We have an HOA that is well run. Large playground and large open areas maintained by someone else. Snow plowing. Trash and recycling. Good budgeting for things like street replacement and sidewalk replacement--very expensive stuff and we've never had to have a special assessment to deal with stuff like that (I've been in the neighborhood almost 22 years, in the current house 16 years).

In the larger community we have great trails that connect pools, schools, shopping centers, a nature center. No need to drive or be on a road.

My house is large (4 bedrooms all on the upper level, 3.5 baths). Hardwood floors throughout the main and upper level.

We've been slowly repairing the kitchen from a pipe burst a few years ago, so sometimes I get a little down about some things that have not been repaired yet, but we can afford everything and I am grateful for not having the additional stress of a house I couldn't afford.

I love that I have room for a dedicated schoolroom and playroom, it helps keep me from going insane from the amount of stuff we have.  

I love that my kitchen is enormous, we actually have more cabinets than we can use.  

I love that it's all hard floors on the bottom, except the playroom, and all carpet upstairs.

I love that we have enough room for my husband to have his gallery in our house which doubles as a dedicated media room.

I love that we have lots of windows so lots of natural light.

I love my fenced backyard where my littles can play safely any time.

I love that we have friends for my kids in nearly every house within walking distance.

I love that we have lots of friends for ourselves within walking distance.

My favorite feature is we live in a cul de sac where they can all ride their bikes in safety :).

we just moved into a brand new house in Dec and we love our house.  Really loved having a gas fireplace this past winter.  We have a nice wooded backyard with only 1 house really far behind us, lots of trees  between us and the nice older lady that lives pretty far back there.  Lots of windows, in fact the entire back of our house is floor to ceiling windows and sliding doors, lots of light.  In fact the front of the house is also lots of floor to ceiling windows.

Tons of storage space.  In our previous house, that we lived in for 20 years, we had hardly any storage space.  I decluttered like crazy when we moved so we don't need all this storage space but I like knowing it is there.

Full basement, 450 sq ft of it is finished so I have my office down there and I set up a library with all books down there so main floor is pretty much sparse so easy to clean.

Huge master bedroom which we turned into a tv room (I hate to have a tv in our living area, love that tv is far away and in its own room lol).  Dh and I have plenty of room in one of the regular size bedrooms.

Across the street is a large park, with walking trails and a duck pond.

Very nice neighbors.

large kitchen, in previous house had a tiny, seashore galley kitchen.

attached 2 car garage with workshop for ds.

main room has lots of little nooks for reading, drinking coffee, etc.

Safe, quiet neighborhood.

only 10 to 15 min to beach and boardwalk.

I love reading about everyone's homes and what they like about them. It is helping me to see that there are tradeoffs and to enjoy what we have instead of what we don't! So much to be thankful for...Ă¢â„¢Â¥Ă¢â„¢Â¥Ă¢â„¢Â¥

I love the location. It's rare that I have to be in a car for more than 10 minutes. We've lived here for 15 years and haven't run out of day-trip field trips.

My house isn't anything spectacular, but I like that it's a bit of a Tardis. It's just under 2000 square feet, but we still have plenty of room. The bedrooms are all big. We have an extra room for my dance studio without causing crowding in the rest of the house. Having a dedicated Empty room is perfect for parties, sleepovers, and meals with lots of people that would crowd the dining room. The mirrors make it look even bigger.

I like that my teen can walk to high school and that her activities there don't clash with DS's homeschool activities.

I love that I can stand at my kitchen sink and see most of the backyard, the eat-in kitchen area, the family room and into the sun room.  It makes supervising children easy, and I can work in the kitchen without being cut-off from the rest of the family.  

I also love that we have space to host family and friends.  

- Location : When I was in regular public school, we were able to choose from 3 different high schools, and we have 1 elementary and 1 Jr High within 5-10 mins.

- Size : Our house is one of those split floor plan types where the master is on one side and the kids rooms (my room since I'm an only) are on the other side with everything else in between. Total privacy. I also got 2 rooms! I have a bedroom, and then a room where my computer/TV/recliner/movie shelves/class room are, and then there's still one extra room for a guest room.

- Yardwork : Aside from the trees and the pool, we don't have to deal with much. Some weeds here and there, but not much. Unlike somea round us, we opted for rocks instead of grass. Much easier to take care of in the desert climate.

I have just moved, so perhaps I'm still in a honeymoon phase, but...

I downsized (2600+sqft to 1700 sqft), so I'm loving having less house to clean.

Ditto smaller yard.

Milder weather - it's not as hot and dusty here in the East Bay as out in CA's Central Valley, where we previously lived.

Location, location, location!  My husband used to have a 80 mile round trip commute to work.  Now, he can walk to the office. Yay!