Menu

So disappointed in this woman.

quelle.que.soit

We just received the call yesterday the spring introduction to music class for 3 to 5 year olds is cancelled because there were only 5 signed up. 

The minimum was 6.  Shame on her for disappointing 5 little boys and girls.  What happened to the days where music teachers were so devoted they would be there if there were only one ?

This was only an 8 week class.  It was $54 for residents and $69 for non-residents to sign up for it.  If they were all residents, she was still making $35 or so for each one hour class.

We won't try to sign up for it if they offer it again.

Just felt like complaining.

Was it a rec center?  It's been my experience that the teachers are paid per hour, and it may have been the decision, or a standard policy, of the organization to cancel classes that don't have a minimum number of students. The cost to the center is more than just the teacher.

Even if she were making all of the money, I don't see why she should be obligated to hold the class without the minimum that was set ahead of time.  I wouldn't work for my employer for 15-20% less just because I might be disappointing someone.

I'm sorry the class didn't work out, and maybe it will be offered again where you'll take a chance--and be that sixth person so the class can be held and no one disappointed!

I'm sorry to hear that the class was canceled.

Whether it was an individual teacher offering a class in her home, or a class being offered through a co-op or music school, there often needs to be a strict rule about the minimum number of students they need in order to run a class, as they need to make a certain amount of money in order to make the class profitable for them.

I'm sorry you and your kids are disappointed, but think it's a bit petty to say you wouldn't consider signing up the next time around.

You mentioned that she would still be making $35 per class, but that isn't a lot of money when she's not teaching several classes a day. Additionally, it's not like she's walking into class completely unprepared and teaching the kids whatever pops into her mind at the moment. There is a lot of work and preparation that goes into any class -- and the materials she uses to help her design the class aren't free, either. She most certainly isn't making anywhere near a $35 profit per class, and if the class isn't in her home, she has commuting time and costs to consider, as well.

Edited to add: Looks like ThisIsTheDay and I were posting at the same time. If I'd waited a few more minutes, I could have saved myself the time of typing, and just liked her post instead! :)

If she's "making" $35 per class and then you add in the time she needs to prepare for the class, the materials she provides for the class, etc. She's not ending up with much. Maybe if you spread the word about the class there would be plenty of kids signed up and it would be a win-win for everyone!

I'm a musician and music teacher, but a mom first. So while I enjoy my work, I am conscious that it takes me away from my kids. So I can't just do it for love anymore. There's a minimum point below which I say (to myself), no, can't take that job, it's not worth being away from home.

If she's "making" $35 per class and then you add in the time she needs to prepare for the class, the materials she provides for the class, etc. She's not ending up with much. Maybe if you spread the word about the class there would be plenty of kids signed up and it would be a win-win for everyone!

Right, and it's not like she teaches 8 classes a day. Music, dance, art, swim teachers, etc. need to make more per hour because it's not usually possible to do it full time.

Is this a JAWM theead because I don't agree AT ALL.

A view which might just turn out to be unanimous.

OP: I'm sorry the class was cancelled, but I don't think it's fair to blame the teacher or devalue her time compared to other teachers because you expect a music teacher to go the extra mile.

Is this a JAWM theead because I don't agree AT ALL.

If it's a JAWM thread, my post was way out of line, because I didn't agree, either.

I mean, seriously, "shame on her" because she wasn't willing to work for less money just so the OP's kids and a few others wouldn't miss out on her class? I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the sense of entitlement.

When I saw the "So disappointed in this woman" thread title, this was not at all what I was expecting to read.

I do feel sorry for the OP and I understand that she might want to vent about the class being canceled when her kids would have probably enjoyed it, but I don't understand the belief that the teacher should hold the class even if it's not profitable for her to do so, just so the kids will be happy. I'm sure it's not charity work for the teacher; it's a job -- and not an incredibly lucrative one, even if a few more kids had signed up for the class.

I don't blame the teacher for canceling the class.

I teach at a community center. The center takes a nice chunk of my pay. I have worked for $12 an hour....no not even that much considering my time planning, chatting with parents etc. it really comes out to less than $6 an hour. Next time recruit others to join the class or call the other moms and see if they are willing to pay more to make the minimum.

Sorry, but I agree with everyone else, she isn't out of line.  She is a teacher and I can't imagine her giving her time away for free just because she loves music.  You knew ahead of time, there was a limit of students needed to run the class. If she didn't care how many showed up, then she wouldn't have put that restriction in the paperwork in the first place. It isn't uncommon for classes to get canceled. When I sign up my kids for classes, I ask if they are interested in the topic and what to take a class, then I tell them I will look into it.  They never even know if they are signed up, until I have confirmation the class is absolutely going to happen.  That way, if this situation comes up, they aren't disappointed. 

Guest submarines

I teach at a community center. The center takes a nice chunk of my pay. I have worked for $12 an hour....no not even that much considering my time planning, chatting with parents etc. it really comes out to less than $6 an hour. Next time recruit others to join the class or call the other moms and see if they are willing to pay more to make the minimum.

This is a great idea! It looks that if each family paid just another $7-8 the class might work out. If others are disappointed as well and are keen on taking the class, this might be worth trying!

We just received the call yesterday the spring introduction to music class for 3 to 5 year olds is cancelled because there were only 5 signed up. 

The minimum was 6.  Shame on her for disappointing 5 little boys and girls.  What happened to the days where music teachers were so devoted they would be there if there were only one ?

This was only an 8 week class.  It was $54 for residents and $69 for non-residents to sign up for it.  If they were all residents, she was still making $35 or so for each one hour class.

We won't try to sign up for it if they offer it again.

Just felt like complaining.

Yes, the per session fee revenue does work out to a little under $35, however, this presumes that whoever is offering the classes is giving the teacher all of the enrollment fees and I am skeptical that this is the case.  I will also say that we have never paid less than $35 dollars for private session music lessons for our children so I am not sure that even $35/session is really sufficient in all parts of the country.  You may also need to consider that the decision to cancel the class was solely at the class instructor's discretion.  It may not have been.

Of course, you are free to be disappointed, and you are certainly free to decline to participate in the future.  I am sorry this opportunity didn't work out for your child.  

I wouldn't hold a weekly class for $35/hour. The hour you spend in class never reflects prep time and tying yourself up at a low rate doesn't allow you to seek out opportunities where your CAN earn your preferred rate.

"Shame on you" seems a harsh reaction to canceling a class that didn't meet minimal enrollment. Not every class generates enough interest to run. This doesn't make the instructor immoral, just a sensible business person.

Agreeing with everyone else. I'm sure the minimum is in place for a reason, whether it is being set by the teacher or another agency. If the teacher has commuting time, prep time, facility fees, etc. she is likely making far less than $35 an hour.

I do understand being disappointed when an expected activity is canceled.

Dd's favorite joke about musicians:

What is the first thing a musician says when he gets to work every day?

"Would you like fries with that?"

Well, that one and the joke about how musician's instruments are often more valuable than the cars they drive.

This was the case with dh and I. Usually our instruments were worth at least twice the value of the car we were using to get to the gigs! We had to take out a separate insurance rider to cover them because we knew that the insurance on our $7,000 car would not cover $15,000 worth of instruments.

If the op was upset about this situation, she would probably be livid at my current situation. I teach a class on Sundays and have a mandated maximum number of kids that can participate. I had to turn kids away because the sign up sheet was filled. It wasn't their fault, they were at the mercy of parents who just didn't get to sign up in a timely manner. Regardless, I can't change the rule nor can I make others leave if they signed up first. I am so sorry that kids were disappointed, but I can only do what I can do, the rest is on their parents' heads.

BTW, I also have a set minimum required for my class to take place. If we don't get that many kids, then no class will be offered. End.of.Story. Not something I can change, not something I would change. If kids were upset in the op's situation, it is because some adults couldn't keep the information to themselves until it was a done deal. That is not the fault of the instructor.

I'm sorry the class didn't work out, but I certainly understand the need for a minimum enrollment. I signed up for a French class three months ago that was canceled due to low enrollment. I was disappointed, too, but it wasn't the instructor's fault. When you consider prep time and transportation, the teacher wouldn't be making that much money. It wouldn't be worth it, especially if the place where class is held keeps part of that.

I wouldn't give up. Try to get some other parents interested in class as another poster suggested.

Not agreeing here either. Minimums must be set. She may have no say at all in enforcing the minimum, due to the facility requirements. Or it might be her call, but she 's made a decision to value her time (prep and class ) and her materials at a specific level.

How do you even know what she gets per class?

In her field it is not possible to put together 40 hours of actual teaching time, so the amount she earns per class has to be significantly higher than a full time worker to account for that.

Finally, as a music teacher she's highly skilled in her field and instruments are expensive.

OP it's a bummer you don't have a fun activity to take you dc to today, but do not be angry at the teacher for a reasonable business decision.

My son's sign language class was cancelled for the same reason. It's a bummer, but I understand.

My dd's karate class is going on with just 4 students (and one is a younger sibling who was allowed to join late b/c there were so few kids.) I feel bad for the teacher who comes out every Saturday afternoon. Though I am glad for my kid, who missed out last season when it was cancelled for lack of enrollment!

This is one of the reasons I never tell my kids about classes until they're ready to start.   :lol:  I ask if they're interested, and then say "I'll try to sign up, but I'm not sure it will work out."  There have just been too many times when a class is too full, or doesn't meet the minimum, and there's no point setting little kids up for disappointment.

And, I don't think there's EVER been a time when teachers take a job "just for the joy."   :confused1:  People gotta earn a living, and they deserve to be fairly compensated for their skills, time, and energy.  $35 an hour isn't much, and if it's through a community center (which I assume it is, with the resident/non-resident rate?), she's lucky if she gets half that.  Which, as others have pointed out, is only for the hour itself... doesn't include travel costs or the time she spends preparing for the class.

I'm sorry that you are disappointed and I know that the class cancellation sucks. Perhaps you can find a 6th kid to participate? A friends kid or a young cousin/niece/nephew/neighbor kid? Someone in your church?

What I would do in the future is sign my kids up, but not tell them until the class was enrolled--that way you don't have to disappoint them and they have the opportunity to do fun things if it works out. Keep in mind that by refusing to ever try again you turn into the 6th parent that didn't sign up, thus ruining the fun of 5 other kids.

It may or may not have been beyond this teachers control to cancel the class but unfortunately in this economy people have to make a living and business have to put the bottom dollar first.

The college I work for used to allow any class with five or more students go if it was in a "core" area, meaning that it was on a list of classes that were required for all transfer degrees. The state allowed this as a matter of policy.  And guess what?  It was a financial disaster.  They now they require that a class be 80% full ten days before the semester starts, no exceptions.  So the minimum is pretty high, but it is working out for them.

So when a friend of mine was waivering about setting a minimum on a local paid class, I told her to do what a state college does.  Set a minimum and tell the parents you'll cancel if you don't get it by a certain date.  And she got her students, paid and registered.

I agree with the other posters.

A teacher often must set a minimum and deserves to make whatever she deems financially feasible in order to run a class. There are other costs besides her "salary" like cost of the building, utilities, materials, prep time.

If the minimum isn't met and the class needs to be cancelled, it does not mean she doesn't love her job or is a bad person.

I wouldn't have told my child anything about a class I signed her up for until we were driving to attend.

When they called to cancel, I did wonder why it was just cancelled instead of calling to suggest we find another student.

After reading all the posts bashing me this morning for what I said, I did call. 

We are not allowed to look for another student or pay the extra money.  It is cancelled, period.  I don't think she really wanted to teach the class anyhow.

Thanks for teaching me a lesson about venting in this forum, though.

I'm sorry you were disappointed, but I don't place any blame on the instructor. As someone who used to teach some independent classes, I know for every hour of class there was often 1-2 hours of planning and prep (organizing the signup, buying materials, laying out a plan that kept everyone engaged, backup plans, etc). I needed to arrive early (for setup and to greet those who insisted on coming 15 minutes early) and stay late (for those who dawdled after).

With younger kids, perhaps it would be best not to get them excited until nearer the start of class.

My friends are going through that right now.  There is a min. of 6 for an advanced Calculus class and right now 5 are signed up.

I suggested they all just split the cost of the 6th phantom person so that they would go ahead with the class.  Perhaps you could do the same?

ETA:  I see she won't do this.  I am sorry.  

When they called to cancel, I did wonder why it was just cancelled instead of calling to suggest we find another student.

After reading all the posts bashing me this morning for what I said, I did call. 

We are not allowed to look for another student or pay the extra money.  It is cancelled, period.  I don't think she really wanted to teach the class anyhow.

I am sorry for your disappointment. No one is bashing you.  We were just letting you know we disagreed with you. 

When someone wants to vent without anyone disagreeing with them they usually put JAWM.

I hope you are able to find someone soon to give music lessons to your child.:)

Disagreeing with you isn't bashing you. I'm sorry you don't like people's replies, but no one said anything harsh to you that I noticed. They simply said that they thought the teacher was justified in cancelling. Hardly a "bashing". In the future, if you want to vent, you can put the acronym "JAWM" (Just Agree With Me) and people will mostly respect that and not post if they disagree with you.

But was this through a community/recreation center? It truly may not be the decision of the teacher. I think if you dismiss the class entirely, you may miss a really fun class. I'd suggest you try again the next time they offer it. And on your own, try to recruit friends to sign up too.

"Teaching for the joy of it"

One of my jobs is swim instructor. I love swimming. I am passionate about water safety. If I could afford it I'd live at the beach and close to a 50 meter pool and be in some water daily. I'd probably occassionally give free lessons to friends. I would not schedule myself to be at the rec center Every. single. Saturday. I like my job. As jobs go it is fun and my coworkers are great. BUT I do my job to get paid. I need the pay. Inner joy is not enough to sustain living. I imagine the music teacher feels the same.

I've noticed -- and I'm not being snarky at all -- that homeschoolers don't all know how to market classes so that the numbers stay up -- so this very thing doesn't happen.

Do you have a homeschool or preschooler community you're part of? Could you post a really friendly, easty-to-read note on there so that others might join the class?

I saw a music class my son really wanted to do. I knew the numbers wouldn't be high so I marketed it for the teacher in my homeschool community. The teacher was happy because he got a larger class and I was happy because his rates were good.

Alley

This philosophy is why teachers are so poorly paid in this country.   One of the most important jobs for our CHILDREN and we don't want to pay them a decent wage in most areas of the country.

Dawn

"Teaching for the joy of it"

One of my jobs is swim instructor. I love swimming. I am passionate about water safety. If I could afford it I'd live at the beach and close to a 50 meter pool and be in some water daily. I'd probably occassionally give free lessons to friends. I would not schedule myself to be at the rec center Every. single. Saturday. I like my job. As jobs go it is fun and my coworkers are great. BUT I do my job to get paid. I need the pay. Inner joy is not enough to sustain living. I imagine the music teacher feels the same.

I used to teach at a university prep program, and if we didn't have 6 paid kids, we quite literally were losing money on the class. We had a hefty fee to pay to the university for room use, fees to the company that provided the early childhood music curriculum, plus a teacher's salary and some part towards the overhead of the prep program as a whole.

There were several semesters I did teach without salary so that we could keep a class going for the kids we had, because I hated to cancel the classes,  but that's certainly not something most teachers are going to be able to afford to do-I could only do so because of DH's income.  It's not something most of the people I know who teach music can afford to do.

i am glad you called and tried to find a way forward.  it is hard on our kids (and us) when real world considerations get in the way of joyous things.

one of the things i value about this forum is that people WON'T just agree with me if they think i'm off base.  sometimes IRL people won't be honest because they are afraid of losing a relationship with someone.  here, people will say what they really think.  i value that, because i learn things. 

eg. i learned things from this thread that i hadn't thought of.  i am off to research insurance riders for instruments; our car insurance won't come close to covering the two violins and viola i drive around with..... and they are pre professional instruments!  i can't imagine the professional cost, really i can't.  (well, i can, but i have my hands over my ears, going la la la)

ann

Venting involves communicating your frustration, not degrading the other parties involved, especially when they made perfectly reasonable decisions - that usually falls under the category of bashing.

IME here, venting is fine and will often reveal a number of others who have experienced the same situation and the same feelings toward it. However, I have noticed that this forum is not a place that will rubber stamp Approval on any comment that others feel is out of line or inaccurate. Bashing usually results in an equal and opposite reaction.

If your post had been about how frustrated you were with yourself for getting your dc's hopes up prematurely or how frustrated you were with classes that do not fill or with the apathy in your community that results in low enrollments in things that interest your family, you would have probably had a very different response. I am gently trying to suggest that you look in the mirror rather than blaming this situation on the instructor or those here who were honest enough to point out to you that they thought your comments were out of line.

It takes a rather thick skin to venture personal comments on the internet. This site is no exception. I have often thought of the old tag line about needing flame proof undies to participate in certain sites, at times even this one.

Venting involves communicating your frustration, not degrading the other parties involved, especially when they made perfectly reasonable decisions - that usually falls under the category of bashing.

IME here, venting is fine and will often reveal a number of others who have experienced the same situation and the same feelings toward it. However, I have noticed that this forum is not a place that will rubber stamp Approval on any comment that others feel is out of line or inaccurate. Bashing usually results in an equal and opposite reaction.

If your post had been about how frustrated you were with yourself for getting your dc's hopes up prematurely or how frustrated you were with classes that do not fill or with the apathy in your community that results in low enrollments in things that interest your family, you would have probably had a very different response. I am gently trying to suggest that you look in the mirror rather than blaming this situation on the instructor or those here who were honest enough to point out to you that they thought your comments were out of line.

It takes a rather thick skin to venture personal comments on the internet. This site is no exception. I have often thought of the old tag line about needing flame proof undies to participate in certain sites, at times even this one.

Exactly.

Hey, don't feel bad.  We are a great, albeit opinionated group.  I have been exactly where you are.  Recently.  You learn to put on a thick skin, learn, grow, contribute opinions and enjoy the hive.

Here's how I look at it. Let's say she didn't meet the minimum of 6 kids and ran the class anyway, because hey, we are only short one kid. Next time they only get 4 kids. You better belive that someone will bring up the fact that it is only one short from last time so why can't they do it?

A minimum enrollment is a minimum enrollment. If you don't meet it you don't meet it. Next time recruit 3-4 friends so you are sure to meet tip he minimum.

Wow--30+ unanimous Hive responses? This is big!

I seem to recall another thread a few months ago where everyone agreed. I can't remember what the topic was, though. I think since we have an (informal) list of controversial topics (cupcakes, crock pots, etc...), we should have a list of topics that we can all agree on. You know, just to remind us that we don't spend all our time squabbling! :D

OP- Whenever you want to post a vent without getting actual opinions, just add JAWM to the title. (Just agree with me.) Many (most? all?) here have very strong opinions, and aren't afraid to share them whenever we get a chance!