Menu

Dress Up In Public?

Impish

I wrote a blog entry today, on Raising A Princess.

I'm really surprised at the reactions I've gotten about it. Positive, which is great, but also makes me wonder, just who are these ppl I bump in to that make negative comments, and where are they coming from?

Do any of you let your kids go out in dress-up/dressy clothes?

Or am I just weird, and have managed to find a few weirdos to agree with me, LOL

I guess the link would help, huh?

http://notastepfordlife.blogspot.ca/2014/01/raising-princess.html

My kiddos and many other kiddos in the neighborhood have worn their dress-up clothes to pick up big sibling from school.  I've seen them in the mall and out in restaurants.  They are everywhere here.   :)  Definitely not weird around here.

Great blog post! This is how I am hoping Lady Bug turns out to be. :001_wub:  I've let Early Bird go out dressed up as Super Why, and when Builder Boy was 4 he didn't take off his Thomas costume I made him for a week. Also when Builder Boy was 3 or 4, at the store he pretended he was an elephant the entire time. And when walking down the downtown street, he pretended he was a ballerina and walked on his tip toes with his arms above his head. We got a few stares. :tongue_smilie:

I read your blog post and what I have to add is about "weather appropriate clothing."  My 21 month old son is and has always been what I call a hot potato.  He sweats like crazy in 70* weather.  Of course when we're outside in the cold (rare in CA) I bundle him up but inside he's often "underdressed."  I hate wondering if people are critiquing me as a parent, especially a young parent.  A few school-age kids even mentioned that he wasn't wearing shoes (but he was wearing socks.)  If I were a toddler, I'd never wear shoes either.  I just don't care what other kids are wearing :)

Once the kids were school age I pushed more for appropriate clothing for the right places. If they wanted to dress really well I was ok with that, but costume clothing and play clothing were for at home. My dd has worn some very nice dresses to get groceries and my youngest ds has worn his suspenders and bow tie out and about as well as argyle sweater vests and suits. He's that kinda guy and that's fine. Presentation does mean something and I have been trying to teach them that.

Oldest was Robin Hood for quite a while.

Second was a pink Princess SuperZelda (some sort of game character?) for at least a year.

Third was Spiderman for a long time, and then a ninja for a while.

Fourth never really did the dress up thing.  She just wears dresses all the time, though.

Oldest wears nice clothes to class every day - as in dress boots and a button down shirt with his black jeans.  He has a thin, athletic build, so any dress shirt is a tiny bit baggy on him, and he wears the sleeves rolled to 3/4-length.  He also has little gold hoop earrings.  He says he likes to look like a pirate.  He was tickled when someone actually commented on the pirate-look a couple of days ago.  But they also noted that his long trenchcoat and hat are detective-y.  So he's a detective when dressed for outdoors, and a pirate when indoors.

Yes, I allowed my girls at 5/6 to be princesses in public.  :)

I think they are getting a little old for that now (2nd grade), but Miss A does "sneak" and put on her "heels" (from an old dress-up trunk) to go out to eat sometimes.  (She thinks she is sneaking, but I am not that clueless, LOL.)

Miss A also loves to put on make-up.  She does a pretty good job of it, amazingly (and she does NOT get this from me).  So I let her out like that sometimes.  :)  It depends on where we're going, of course.

All the time! Seriously. My 6 year old will only wear princess dresses pretty much. Since she wears them SO much, I've started purchasing her more nicer quality princess dresses. She gets compliments everywhere she goes. I love when my kids want to dress up in costumes and go places. It's such a sweet part of childhood.

I'm another one who will let me kids wear dress up stuff in public.  My youngest has all kinds of stuff gramma has made for her - tutus, skirts with scarves that attache and go to her hands to be like wings.  And we have a HUGE collection of bits and pieces from big sisters dance costumes.  I have pictures of my son wearing various hats including a red sequined top hat.

But, I'm also a firm believer in letting kids dress how they are comfortable and happy.  My oldest only wore dresses (not necessarily fancy dresses) from 2 until she was 8.  My son won't wear jeans or any pants that aren't soft.  One was a preference (although a very important one in her mind) and one is a sensory issue but neither was hard to "indulge" and I think kids should be allowed quite a bit of say in their attire. 

Since my daughter was a toddler she wore whatever she wanted. I put winter clothes away in the summer and vice versa to keep her from sweating or freezing -- but the ensemble was (and still is) her's to choose :) She had a trunk of dress-up clothes (mix of store bought prices dresses from Halloween to poofy thrift store finds) and there were many days we went out in public like that. She would even top it off often with jewelry, gloves & a tiara. She is almost 13 now and wears mostly skinny jeans, but her fashion sense is still there. I don't even know the last time I saw her in a dress. But I loved that phase - really precious memories. Fwiw - my son quite often romped around town as a superhero :)

My son won't wear jeans or any pants that aren't soft. One was a preference (although a very important one in her mind) and one is a sensory issue but neither was hard to "indulge" and I think kids should be allowed quite a bit of say in their attire.

Oh. My son is like this too - still is. He hates to wear jeans, and when he does (which is super rare) he prefers a specific waistband. He hates shirts with collars and tags poking him. Even socks can annoy him! If it was up to him he would literally sit in his underwear all day. :)

I'm not one who thinks the grocery store has a dress code... :glare:

There are certain places and certain times when I would say they would be kind to wear something more...IDK, "normal" isn't really what I mean, but let's say "non-play dressup clothes."  Sometimes kids do need to learn it's not all about them, and wearing "appropriate" clothes can be a loving thing.

BUT--for the most part, I have absolutely no problem with princesses, pirates, superheros, etc. :D

(We need those kind of smilies for this thread...)

Thanks for the responses!

'Weather appropriate clothing' in Canada means something very different than in CA, I'm betting, LOL

I think princess paired with big snow boots would only add to the charm.

Tell DD to stay in princess mode for as long as possible. 

Two thumbs up here.

I let my kids wear whatever they want, as long as it's appropriate. They have to have some kind of footwear and girls can't wear their bathing suits to the store.

Ok, so my kids have worn capes, bathrobes, princess or Easter dresses, Spider-man and other costumes, winter boots in the summer (at least they wore shoes!!!)

If an adult wore those things I would look twice, but I barely notice with kids.

Eta: I don't let them dress this way at church, funerals, weddings, etc.

I don't allow it, unless there's a reason for it (going to/from a party, etc). I compensate for being a stick in the mud by encouraging the use of elaborate imaginary costumes, and playing along with all kinds of pretend scenarios -- whether at home or in public, but in a "just between us" way.

I have a few firm rules around clothing, and I only let kids younger than 9-ish choose an outfit to wear -- I don't let them assemble an outfit themself. I have their outfits pre-assembled in little roll-ups in their drawers.

I think it's just that I'm sort of reserved, and I'd rather not attract a lot of public attention (or even a little, really). If a child is going to get appearance-affirmation, I d rather it be for being well dressed, neat, put-together, etc, not for being unusually flamboyant / creative.

Some of mine go out in costume often. I don't mind, as long as they are weather-appropriate and can participate in whatever activity we are doing. DD often used to go out in colonial garb, or princess wear. My 5yo son frequently goes out dressed as Batman, with 2yo brother donning his Robin cape.

I also generally don't care too much if they match or not; it's just not a big hot button for me. However, I do insist on no holes or stains or ill-fitting clothes in public. You can squeeze into your favorite t-shirt one more time at home, or wear those comfy jeans that have the hole in the knee around the house, but not in public.

All the time! Seriously. My 6 year old will only wear princess dresses pretty much. Since she wears them SO much, I've started purchasing her more nicer quality princess dresses. She gets compliments everywhere she goes. I love when my kids want to dress up in costumes and go places. It's such a sweet part of childhood.

Honestly, what I've found works best isn't the Princess costume dresses. It's flower girl dresses, Easter/Christmas dresses.

Far better quality, holds up until she outgrows it, and b/c I get them at consignment stores, etc, way cheaper.

I have seen younger girls wearing dresses to the park (to play).  I don't understand that, but can't say that I care deeply about it either. 

My girls have always worn shorts or leggings under their dresses.  They love dresses and I don't see a problem as long as they aren't tripping over the skirt or giving the boys a free show.  :P  We would not go to the park in a princess gown, because that would defeat the purpose of going to the park ....

My daughter was always into dress up. Even at 9, she often spends quite a bit of time mixing and matching crazy things. I got her a heart covered fedora for Valentines day and I can't wait to give it to her!

I've never had a negative remark about it. I'm surprise people comment negatively. Weird! They need a new hobby that involves minding their own business and worrying about things that really matter.

Really, I can't even imagine what negative comments you would get!?!  Three of my children dressed up all the time.  My one daughter wore a Snow White costume almost every day for about two years, everywhere.  Another wore princess dresses and other pretty, silky dresses that we got at the thrift store ALL THE TIME.  She is now a staunch woman's libber but still adores fashion.  :)  My son LOVED dressing up -- as princes, Aladdin, a magician... now he is in film!  No one in our community batted an eye when they saw Snow White, a princess, and a magician walking down the street on any given day.

Two of my three kids did this all the time.  They were very imaginative! I love seeing kids in public who obviously dressed themselves.  Why not?  My favorite memory:  My youngest, a boy, went through a phase of wearing his Superman pajamas everywhere.  One day he came to me worried:  "Mama, do you think my friends at park day will know who I am?  Mama, what if we're at the park and you can't find me because I am Superman?"  He got so immersed in his play!  I had to explain that I was also Superman's mama and I would always know who he was  :) .  He was just four at the time.

But my MIL was mortified that we let our daughter go to Disneyland (MIL was with us) in a tutu, tights and leotard at age 6.  Not sure why--if you can't dress up at Disneyland, where can you?

The only limits I placed on dressing up was for weather appropriateness and ability to do what was needed.  I also reserved the right to request particular outfits for special occasions, but I used that sparingly.

I don't equate dresses or fancy outfits with dressing up like a princess, or being a princess, but I was fine with my girls wearing 'fancy' clothes for everyday. And I'm obviously fine with other people doing it, lol, what do I care? 

I think the reason older people notice is because clothing used to be much more expensive than it is now, and thrift stores and such were not as common. They can't wrap their minds around the idea of buying a fancy dress for a few dollars. I'm 48, and when I was a kid, my mom could make us beautiful clothing and save money doing it. Now, it's reversed - store bought clothing is generally cheaper, and 2nd hand clothing is much cheaper. 

Not that it makes it any less rude for them to comment on it! 

Nope.  I never allowed my children to go out in public in dress up clothes.  I don't think it's appropriate if it's not a costume related activity (themed party or location that lends itself to dress up and make up.)  There's plenty of time for that at home.

I have hosted half a dozen Valentine's Day parties where, on the invitation, it encouraged the girls to dress up in their fanciest dresses and accessories for the tea party and Valentine exchange. We also have had several  costume related birthday parties over the years.

Is it a huge, big deal if a kid does wear a costume in public?  No.  Is it my place to comment about it to parents who allow their children to do so?  No. If someone specifically brings it up will I tell them what I think?   Yes.

By the way, I hate princess culture and mindset.  I teach my girls that princesses are only good for feeding dragons and appeasing volcano gods.  I have a low view of royalty and aristocracy.

Ds had a tutu he wore for about four months straight when he was 3.  Started out pink.  Didn't end that way.

I have never understood people who wanted to argue with their kids about their clothes.  Unless it's a very special occasion or unsafe for the weather, that always seemed like a colossal waste of time and energy to me.  Not to mention the potential resentment it fosters.  I always saved my no for things that I believed really mattered.

My kids do go out in dress up clothes. Princess, knight, superhero, cowgirl, indian, firefighter - whatever. I don't let DS take toy guns or bows and arrows. And they must have shoes for walking if we are doing errands and an appropriate coat/hat for the weather. 

I get our best stuff at thrift shops. They love to take their own money and raid the accessories racks! 

They are only little for such a short while....

As long as it is appropriate weather and decency wise then I let them pick what they want to wear. My 4yo and 6.5yo are past that stage though. I don't understand strictly dictating choices of clothing, I know I have my own tastes and choices for comfort and I assume they do as well. I have always joked that I wish I had a button for my toddlers that said "I dressed myself." The only thing I don't like is wearing overly dressy clothes for playing or wearing play clothes when we are going somewhere nice.

My 4 year old doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t so much want to dress up in fancy clothes but she has a very strong sense of her own style. A typical outfit would be polka dot leggings, a tutu skirt, a shirt of a different color, a knitted shawl, a strand of beads and socks that donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t match. SheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll wear three tutu skirts at once or completely mismatched clothes. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not because she throws whatever on, sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll come out looking crazy but having very deliberately picked it all out. And she thinks she is beautiful.

I pretty much let her wear what she wants. I feel like her sense of style is important to her and is part of her defining who she is. I do have slightly stricter requirements for church or co-op or when weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re going to something like a wedding or other more formal activity. 

I'd probably allow it if he was interested. Unless you're worried about damaging clothing (does a flower girl dress need to be dry cleaned?), why not?

But I have always picked out his clothes. If I give him a choice, he shrugs. He dresses up on Halloween and shows no interest the rest of the year.

My DD used to go out with tutus over everything. Now, she wears a lot of pajamas as daywear. As long as it's clean, covers the parts not normally shown in public, and doesn't smell, I'm good. I kind of miss the frilly, princess days.

Ha - my dd loves flashy fleece pajama bottoms. I don't let her wear them everywhere, but as a compromise, I do allow her to wear them over her dance clothes.

Ha - my dd loves flashy fleece pajama bottoms. I don't let her wear them everywhere, but as a compromise, I do allow her to wear them over her dance clothes.

Wow, I don't even want to get into some of the outfits that were worn into grocery stores and restaurants after dance classes or competitions.  Shorts and tights in the middle of winter, pajama pants and slippers....

Wow, I don't even want to get into some of the outfits that were worn into grocery stores and restaurants after dance classes or competitions.  Shorts and tights in the middle of winter, pajama pants and slippers....

See, I think it's important to help children understand that some clothes are appropriate in some settings and some are not. It is that way in the adult world, and I think it's much better to begin that understanding when children are young rather than having it sprung on them when they are young adults. Children can learn to have their own style within guidelines.

Yes, I'm an "older mom." My children, who are now the ages of most of you, have their own styles, but they know how to dress appropriately for the occasion.

ETA: My older dd came to visit us last fall with my grandson, who was 3 1/2 at that time. She let him wear his Spiderman jammies everywhere he went--to the caverns, to Zilker Park, to the Austin Zoo and to the restaurant, on the airplane to go home. I did not say a thing, but girls, it was killing me inside!!! :laugh:

See, I think it's important to help children understand that some clothes are appropriate in some settings and some are not. It is that way in the adult world, and I think it's much better to begin that understanding when children are young rather than having it sprung on them when they are young adults. Children can learn to have their own style within guidelines.

Yes, I'm an "older mom." My children, who are now the ages of most of you, have their own styles, but they know how to dress appropriately for the occasion.

ETA: My older dd came to visit us last fall with my grandson, who was 3 1/2 at that time. She let him wear his Spiderman jammies everywhere he went--to the caverns, to Zilker Park, to the Austin Zoo and to the restaurant, on the airplane to go home. I did not say a thing, but girls, it was killing me inside!!! :laugh:

As far as helping children understand that some clothes are appropriate in some settings and some are not, I have two thoughts. One is, as children grow and mature, they'll figure it out. Four year olds wear tutus and spin in the grocery store aisles, but most fourteen year olds have long since recognized older kids do not. The other is that what is appropriate attire is defined by society. As people reject traditional habits simply because they are traditional, styles change. We no expect to see girls dressed in patent leather shoes and dresses, and boys in leather shoes and button down shirts with collars every time they leave the house. We don't expect most people to travel on airplanes and in trains in their "Sunday best." Most of us don't go to the salon for a hair style that will last the week, or necessarily match our shoes with our purses. When I read "appropriate," I can't help but interpret it as "traditional." It's not traditional to wear pajama pants out in public, but that doesn't mean it's not appropriate. Wearing a scuba suit would be inappropriate because scuba suits are suited for deep water. Wearing modern fashion isn't inappropriate because it covers the parts of the body deemed indecent by society in general (genitals, and breasts for women). 

Of my boys, two were into dressing up - one as a superhero and one as a fairy/princess/ballerina/butterfly/Alice in Wonderland. Both wore their costumes in public until age 5 or so, then gave it up on their own. We got plenty of stares, but surprisingly few comments. 

See, I totally don't worry about them learnng conformity of dress.

Diva went through a Princess phase. Now, she's 15, and wouldn't be caught dead in frills and lace, dresses appropriately, etc.

So, it gets outgrown.

And, I call it a 'Princess' dres b/c that's what my dds have called them. Diva, when she was 5, wanted to be a Princess when she grew up. Or a horse.

Conformity will come all too soon for most kids.

Also, I don't get the impression we're talking about going to church in Superman Underoos.  I'm thinking WalMart, the grocery store, a family restaurant.  Where almost anything goes for adults too.  Just because you might not often see a middle aged woman in a pink tutu does not mean she would not wear one if that was her thing.  Honestly, I see a lot of things on adults that are considered "acceptable" but shouldn't be (IMO), while the kids' main offense is just being a little more fluffy and colorful than average.

I am on the older side and I didn't expect to be permissive about this stuff.  The first time I allowed it, it was Halloween, which also happens to be my friend's birthday.  Her birthday dinner was that day at the Cheesecake Factory.  For whatever reason I decided to let my kids wear their Halloween costumes (fairy princesses).  It was cute, and nobody seemed to mind it.  My kids were not the type to demand to wear their dress-up clothes all the time, but once in a while if we were just making a grocery run and they were already dressed up, I thought, who cares?  It's not like they are likely to wear their fairy wings to a job interview if I'm too permissive when they're preschool age.

Yesterday the kids had pajama day at school, and their teacher even dressed up in Winnie-the-Pooh PJs.  So what?  Normally they have a strict dress code which they follow every day.  They know how to change things up for different cultural events etc.  They have different required/expected get-ups for 7 different activities that they do each week.  They watch how I make dress decisions for myself and them.  My 7yo Miss A is extremely observant of how everyone dresses and presents themselves.  I have no worries about the lingering effects of tutus and tiaras.  :)