Menu

If you were to win the lottery......

AlmiraGulch

Let's Daydream!  

111 members have voted

1. 1. If you won enough money in the lottery to never have to work again, would you?

• Yes, I'd stay in my same job/occupation.
    • I'd work, but I'd do something else.
    • No way. I work to live. If I could live without working, I'd drop that job in a New York minute!
    • Other, because there has to be an "Other". If you pick this one, please explain!

So I'm sitting her lamenting the fact that it's Sunday afternoon and I need to go back to work tomorrow, and I really don't want to.  If only I'd win the lottery (which would require my playing it, but that's another story) I wouldn't ever have to feel like this again!  

I'm always amazed at the people who win millions of dollars and still work.  I like my job, and I get a lot of personal satisfaction from it, but I work out of necessity.  I can think of about a billion things I'd rather do and other ways to be satisfied and fulfilled than to work everyday.  I really don't even understand the people who say they'd work but at something else.  I would not.  I can say that with full confidence.  There is too much in the world for me to see and do and explore for me to be bogged down with a job if I didn't have to be.  I'd quit and never look back.

So, if you were to win the lottery, and it was enough money that you did not every have to work again, would you?  If so, would it be the same thing you do now, or something else?  

Depends.....how much is the lottery worth?

My friends had a winning ticket.  They won $9,000.  While it is a good chunk, it certainly wouldn't be enough to quit a job over.

Now, $90M, yes, I would quit my job, get my accountant husband to draw up a financial plan, and live on that.

I chose Other, because my dh is the main earner. I know that he would close up his regular work, but I don't think he would never work for pay another minute of his life. I work in his office, so by default, I would definitely quit that job. I do that only because it benefits his business and thereby, our family. I would still be writing, so I wouldn't stop doing that, but my writing hasn't earned me a red cent yet, so.... :D

Travel would top my wish-list. I don't care about fancy jewelry and I wouldn't even be that interested in a new car, but I would really like to be unencumbered by time and money constraints for travel. My "dream car" at the moment is a Ford Flex! :D

Dh would quit work. We would travel while the house is being built. Then come back and have awesome school for the three of us. (Dh and I are going back to college this fall.). When school is over we would travel some more to the places we've studied about.

Once we were done with school I think we would work for ourselves. But we would eventually go back to work.

If it was enough money...

My DH says he would like to work part time at his current job, but would do it for free so that the village could hire another person for the department.

While my DS is still school age, I would probably not work, so that I could spend more time with him. I would love to do one of those year long, around the country, homeschooling in an RV trips.

We would also like to invest in our small town to make it a better place for young people to live, and some recreational activities. Maybe find a way to get some sort of industry or business to come here so that there are decent jobs.

If it was one of those really big lotteries, I think it would be almost a full time job managing the money, giving it away to charities and related issues.  

The people known who kept working after winning a lottery, only won a small amount and it wasn't enough to see them through (especially potential healthcare costs). 

I'd work, BUT everything would change.  I currently babysit and work a very part time (think 10 hours/wk) job to make a little extra money.

I'd probably keep doing that, but DH may feel free to quit his job for awhile to go to school to pursue something else. What he's doing now, he doesn't mind, but he doesn't love it.  I would probably keep working the way I do now (maybe not the babysitting ;) ) through that, if for no other reason than to get out of the house.  :D

Once he was done, I would then consider going back to school myself.  But I'm not sure - it all depends.  I don't know what I would do with what I would want to study (music) because a lot of professions involving music would involve being away from home an awful lot.  

So I guess I may just not work - idk.  But I know we'd save up so we could travel, travel, travel.  :)

If I won the lottery, I would go back to school and get a PhD in political science and/or history.  Then I'd become a professor and spend the summer / winter breaks traveling. 

I like my job, its very interesting, and well paying ... but too stressful for me to do without needing the money!  I would have to *do* something though, otherwise I would just sleep/eat all day long.

I would have a new job running my own little foundation. And I would travel. And I would still be a homemaker until the boys are older. Then I would still reenter the workforce in some capacity (PT). My husband would cut back his hours to 16 while he was still in school and then work more when he was done.

Many lottery winners or others who come into money quickly who quit their job report depression and end up goon back to some occupation. Having someplace to be and some thing to do is important.

I would start a business with dh. :)

This! Dh often brings up ideas for us to go into business together. I would never be able to do it unless we had a huge windfall.

Dh would probably also be content to write everyday. I would enjoy finding ways to give the money away.

Of course, we have never played the lottery so I don't see this ever actually happening.

I would not quit my job.  My job is too much a part of my life.  But I would hire some people so I could work fewer hours and still keep up with everything.  I would also see if I could come up with any lifestyle / work conveniences that could save me some time without cutting into my quality of life.  And maybe I'd buy a motor home so I could easily travel around with my kids and my computer.  :)

Well I dont work but if I did I would quit...because I would use the lottery money to adopt special needs kids in Russian orphanages so I would need to be a SAHM :laugh:

and then I would use the rest of the money to donate to people who also wanted to adopt but can't afford to....because I can't adopt them all myself :lol:

I don't have a job so I voted "other". I would continue to homeschool if we won that kind of money. I know for a fact my husband would keep working. He loves his job and would drive himself (and the rest of us) crazy without work.

Interesting topic!

Elise in NC

As an aside, I wonder if winning the lottery would push me toward homeschooling, or some other educational option for my daughter(s).  Right now I can't seriously consider taking them out of school because I have to be generally available during business hours.  But maybe I could hire someone to tag team with me or something.  Not sure I would, just wondering how all that would change.

Other.  I would open a small magnet/private/homeschool hybrid (I would have to figure out which would be best for the situation) school for Autism/Asperger's that was lower cost  or free for the student's families.  So, in essence I would be working, but I would hire people to actually run the school.  I know I would be involved extensively in the program, but I wouldn't have a 'job' per se.   I would be involved in the fundraising/coordinating volunteers and looking/applying for grant part of the program, to help make sure the lottery money could last as long as possible.  

I figure it would cost 2-3 million to start from scratch, and probably cost a million a year to operate if it was free.  Even putting 23 million towards it, would hopfully operate the school for 20 years.   

I don't work significantly out of the house.  I am just a SAHM, and we homeschool.  That's it.

Although Loverboy enjoys his job, I would wonder about sending him back to the university to pick an interesting project on which to work because he likes lab work.  We would work it out for him to self-fund the research.  (Imagine a post-doc arriving, and saying, "I have $35K for equipment and supplies, and you don't have to pay me.  Can I work on your research project for free?") 

A part of the agreement would be that our girls could use the lab space for chemistry/biochemistry experiments when they hit Middle School and High School, and the lab/university will take care of chemical disposal.

Absolutely. Probably not full-time, and I would definitely use the money to take a college class or other learning experience every semester for the rest of my life. I would feel so unfulfilled if I wasn't doing something that I felt contributed to society/kept me busy and engaged (obviously parenting and homeschooling counts!)

I'd go back into music therapy and since I didn't need to work for the money, I'd offer my services to low income families as long as they wanted to truly commit to the process. I helped a lot of kids gain function and reduce stress, however, it's very, very hard for an awful lot of families to afford m.t. and it is NEVER covered by insurance no matter how often medical professionals recommend it. I didn't charge as much as the going rate by any stretch, but on the other hand I was earning money in order to homeschool my children and not take a contract with a school or the opera company, or whatever. So, I had to charge for my services, and I know there were people who desperately needed my services for their kids and couldn't afford to ask. It would be a pleasure to be able to do it for free. But, without the lottery, as soon as the youngest leaves for college, 4-5 years, I'm back in the regular work force so that we can afford to leave this place and move to the east coast.

I'd probably do that 20 hrs. a week, and then I'd be generous with vacation time so I could travel and eventually have grandma camp for my future, hypothetical grandchildren.

A Fairy Godmother?????????????????

Don't I wish.

We have a chore list for the boys, and it does help. However, until we no longer have a cat, a dog, a rabbit, and a guinea pig (I won't count the tree frog, peacock eel, beardered dragon, or gecko because they don't contribute to messiness), I won't have the house as clean as I like. I'm always fighting pet hair.

I've been decluttering, and am feeling the difference. However, if Fate produced a Fairy Godmother for me or a genie in a bottle, I would NOT refuse!

I think dh and I would find a way to travel and dh and I would work a lot on our hobbies - music, crafting instruments, and raising children, of course ;).

I refuse to believe I would follow the statistics that say 80% or so of all lottery winners eventually regret winning their money. I can beat the odds - really I can! :D

Fwiw, the best cure for sleeplessness I've ever tried is to imagine you've won a huge amount of money and then spend it in your mind. Say I've won $160 million, subtract, what - $70 million for taking a lump sum leaves $90 mil. Take out $40 mil for taxes (I have no idea, really) which leaves $50 mil. $5 mil to the church. Trust funds for the kids - I'll get to that later. Lets see, give $2 mil to each immediate family member leaves $33 or plan to give $10K in tax exempt gifts to each family member plus spouses and children from both dh and I every year for the next 20 years which comes to $9.2 mil although if i invest a large sum and use the interest it won't effect the principle....are you asleep yet?

I think dh and I would find a way to travel and dh and I would work a lot on our hobbies - music, crafting instruments, and raising children, of course ;).

I refuse to believe I would follow the statistics that say 80% or so of all lottery winners eventually regret winning their money. I can beat the odds - really I can! :D

Fwiw, the best cure for sleeplessness I've ever tried is to imagine you've won a huge amount of money and then spend it in your mind. Say I've won $160 million, subtract, what - $70 million for taking a lump sum leaves $90 mil. Take out $40 mil for taxes (I have no idea, really) which leaves $50 mil. $5 mil to the church. Trust funds for the kids - I'll get to that later. Lets see, give $2 mil to each immediate family member leaves $33 or plan to give $10K in tax exempt gifts to each family member plus spouses and children from both dh and I every year for the next 20 years which comes to $9.2 mil although if i invest a large sum and use the interest it won't effect the principle....are you asleep yet?

I like this. You must be a planner like I am, huh?

This is exactly what goes on in my head at night when I can't sleep too! I add in a few million to pay off my siblings' debts and buy them new houses and vehicles. Not sure if it's true or not but in my head it is tax exempt if I just pay it for them.

I'm a SAHM, but I voted that I would quit, because that's what I would do if I did have a job. My dh, on the other hand, would keep working. We've actually had this discussion. He LOVES his job, and he admittedly isn't very good at being productive when he has a lot of free time. He basically ends up watching a lot of movies, and he realizes that isn't quite as fulfilling as putting in a hard day's work. We would travel more, though.

In contrast, I am very good at staying busy all the time (as I suppose most SAHMs are, or our homes and lives would be chaos). And I hated having a job. I like being in control of my own schedule and activities. Like a pp, I would probably hire some help, though (cleaning and cooking), to make more room for the things I love to do.

Many lottery winners or others who come into money quickly who quit their job report depression and end up goon back to some occupation. Having someplace to be and some thing to do is important.

This is true.  I just think I could find something to do that wasn't a job.

I don't even think I'd have a business doing something I love, because for me when it becomes a job I lose my love for it.  The same thing happened to my husband a few years ago. He's a professional musician and happily plays gigs on a regular basis.  He doesn't make a lot of money at it and has a full-time job, but he does it because he loves it.  A few years ago during the worst of the recession he lost his house to a tornado and his house to the economy all at the same time. He started working several jobs AND playing gigs nearly every single night.  He said by the end of that stint, before he got a full-time job back, he hated playing music.  It was nothing but a chore and he dreaded going up on stage. 

I do see the need to do something, I just don't know what it would be for me.  I can definitely see myself back in school, but not for another degree.  I'd audit political science and literature and other interesting classes, but I don't want to take another test or write another paper (thus, the "auditing"). I know I would not work a full-time job again, though.  No way.

Right now I only work about 10 hrs. per week during the school year, which just pays for homeschooling.  I neither love it nor hate it, though I do hate driving to it.  So, the very first thing I would do would be hire a chauffeur.  Then, I would probably end up quitting my job to go to school.  I would definitely volunteer a lot, perhaps opening my own animal rescue and rehab center.  There is no way I would be bored if I won the lottery, not by a long shot. 

I work now "for fun" - that is, I don't need to nor do I rely on my job for income or benefits.  I do it because I enjoy it.

If I won the lottery, I'd keep working where I am.  My job doesn't prohibit me from seeing, doing, and exploring :) I planned it that way, though, intentionally seeking an academic and professional path that would allow a lot of flexibility.  I feel like I kind of won a lottery of sorts already, having it all work out as planned.  Nothing else I plan ever works out the way I want it to! LOL

Well, I went back to work today since I didn't win the lottery.  Still need to remember to play the darned thing!

Anyway, I'm incredibly grateful for my job.  I really, truly am.  But I'm so burned out on it.  On the whole corporate world, in fact.  I suppose it's better than being burned out on UNemployment, though, so I'll continue to show up and do my level best, every day.

A girl can still dream, though.....