Menu

Fast food kid's meals---is it OK for an adult to order one?

Ottakee

Our local Wendy's has $1.99 kids meals after 4pm. No where does it say for ages 12 and under or only with adult meal purchase, etc. Tonight dd and I went to Wendy's drive through as that is what she wanted for a special treat. I ordered a kids meal for her and one for myself. The grilled chicken wrap, small fry, small pop, and jr. frosty was plenty for me and actually quite tasty....and we both ate for $4 I was just wondering if anyone else ordered kid's meals at fast food places.

Yes, I often do if I am at a fast food place. The portion size is better. I prefer if there is a small portion size without the toy option but I have no problem ordering the kids meal if there is no smaller size on the regular menu. If they don’t specify an age than I think it’s fine.

I almost always do this. Fast food meal portions have gotten so big. A kids meal is plenty for me. Actually, I think some of the 'big kids meals' are what adult proportions once were. Look at the cups. The small used to e a large. I will own up to putting McDonald's in my body on occasion and a happy meal is enough for me. They even have apples now and tiny fries so it's plenty for a meal if you're craving junk.

I often order a kids meal at Chick Fil A. I even asked if it was OK. It's the perfect amount for me. Before I ordered kids meals, I would get a 3 strip entree with water, and steal some of my younger son's fries. Now I can get 2 strips, with fries and a drink, for about the same price. I like the trade-off.

This diet is killing people. Get over yourself.

Bill

You know the forum rules, Bill. Start your own nutrition thread.

Don't use inquiries as an excuse to proselytize for anything. Answer questions that are posted but don't use these questions as an excuse to springboard into criticism. For example: If someone asks, "What are your kids dressing up as for Halloween?" don't launch into an explanation of how evil Halloween is. If someone asks, "Is Halloween evil?" have a ball. (Conversely: if someone posts, "We don't do Halloween; what can we substitute?" don't take this as an opportunity to prove to them that Halloween is really just fine.)

I don't get the kids' meal 'cause I don't care for the Frosty.  But if I wanted a little something sweet I wouldn't hesitate to order a kids' meal for myself.  I do very much like that Wendy's offers smaller portions on their value/right price menu.  A junior cheeseburger deluxe and a small fry are plenty for me when I'm craving a fast food fix (about once a month, maybe).  And they only cost $2 and a little change, and make a nice "treat" meal that comes in under 500 calories.  I think if one wants to complain about the standard American diet, one could find much worse culprits than a fast food chain that offers a variety of smaller portion options and relatively healthy choices (salads, grilled chicken wraps, etc.).

What's wrong is thinking fries, sodas, and a frosties are things we ought to be feeding to children.

Bill

Ah, but what if you're sneaky and get it when the kids aren't with you and nobody (but The Hive) ever has to know? There's a difference between a diet staple and an occasional guilty pleasure. I dance 8-12 hours a week. I'm having my tiny fries and enjoying all 600 calories of the horribleness! It gets me through a long rehearsal without feeling hungry in a way salad just can't.

A little sin in your life keeps it interesting :-)

Our local Wendy's has $1.99 kids meals after 4pm. No where does it say for ages 12 and under or only with adult meal purchase, etc. Tonight dd and I went to Wendy's drive through as that is what she wanted for a special treat. I ordered a kids meal for her and one for myself. The grilled chicken wrap, small fry, small pop, and jr. frosty was plenty for me and actually quite tasty....and we both ate for $4 I was just wondering if anyone else ordered kid's meals at fast food places.

I often do.

My kids love to dip their fries in their frosty. Of course, they are skinny little things and the nutritionist encourages that sort of behavior as long as it doesn't happen every day. Everything in moderation. ;)

My dd dips one end of the fries in a chocolate frosty and the other end in ketchup.  It made me go :eek: when she first did it, but I tried her concoction... and it's actually pretty tasty!

I would if I could, but I can't so I wouldn't.

(In other words, kids meals at the one fast food place we go to and like don't have a vegetarian option. So we never get them since I'm vegetarian, and so are my kids. But right now things work out since the three of us usually have the perfect amount of food if we order two adult combos)

I've done it...although none of my kids are big french-fry eaters and 3/5 of them don't like soda (oh, the agony ;) ) So...as a general rule we don't get kids' meals at. all. We usually get the kids' sizes (4pc nugget, regular burger, etc.), and split a large fry between the 7 of us. Water bottles are on-hand, so no need to buy drinks. We follow the 80/20 rule WRT food.

This diet is killing people. Get over yourself.

Bill

Agreed, but a few times a month at In-N-Out (we rarely do McDonald's) is not killing our family.  

My kid eats stuff like salmon and kale at home and has a BMI of 14.  My cholesterol is 147 (70 HDL, 49 TRIG).  My husband is a low carbing Ironman triathlete.  We rarely eat sugar. We had fast food last Sunday on the way back from our camping vacation at Idyllwild where my husband climbed Mt. San Jacinto (5000 ft elevation gain in 5 miles) and my son probably spent 10 hours straight running around and climbing with friends each day.  So no, I'm not worried that a stop at the Carl's Jr in Hemet (where my son had a bean burrito and milk) is going to kill any of us.   :001_rolleyes:  If your kid never gets burgers or pizza or ice cream,  good for you.  

However, recognizing most of us can't be perfect like Bill, I think an adult ordering a kid's meal is a great way to limit calories.  And to answer the OP, I would not feel guilty at all considering how ridiculous portion size is now.    

I was sick last night (which happens every time I interact with other humans, it seems), and I'm trying to eat this breakfast casserole stuff I made with fresh veggies from my garden... and I kind of want to dump it down the garbage disposal and go get something that has enough preservatives to keep it from molding for years. I don't want food, but I need to eat something. I could go for a kids meal right now.

Too bad I threw up Wendy's last time I ate it. A Jr. Frosty doesn't sound half bad.

Kids meal at Ikea is free today until Sunday for kids under 12 :)

My lady cousins and I buy kids meal often while out as it is the same price as some of the burgers and we are small eaters. In Asia, McDonalds allow us to swap out soda for coffee (have not tried that request here)

We actually are more likely to split a regular size meal(or super sized) between 2 people.  It's a better value.

We do both.  We (my daughter - age 24) and I sometimes split a regular size meal and sometimes we both get kid's meals.  It depends on if we want the same thing to eat or not.

I was sick last night (which happens every time I interact with other humans, it seems), and I'm trying to eat this breakfast casserole stuff I made with fresh veggies from my garden... and I kind of want to dump it down the garbage disposal and go get something that has enough preservatives to keep it from molding for years. I don't want food, but I need to eat something. I could go for a kids meal right now.

Too bad I threw up Wendy's last time I ate it. A Jr. Frosty doesn't sound half bad.

When I feel nauseous, all I want is those tiny powdered donuts you buy in a bag at the supermarket. 

AMDG

I never order the adult size by myself.  I also (almost) never order at fast food so I don't know the rules.  We generally do one of two things:

I order off the kids menu or

My daughter and I share an regular entree.

We usually have to pay an extra dollar.  It's usually a dollar for an adult to have a kid's meal and it's a dollar "plate" charge to share in Mexican and Italian places that also serve "complementary" chips and salsa or bread or whatever.  I think that's fair.  Otherwise, we aren't usually charged but make sure to remember that the waiter/ess served three people and not two.

In a fast food restaurant with no "complementary" items and no waitstaff, you should be able to order from which ever menu you want.

I think it's fine - they make money either way. when I go through a drive through, the only thing I'm buying is something for dudeling. we're past the stage where he'd yell "no toy" to make sure they didn't give him one. (after one clerk suggested ordering it, I just order a small meal, as it can be cheaper than the kids meal. they do too charge for toys.)

AMDG

I never order the adult size by myself. I also (almost) never order at fast food so I don't know the rules. We generally do one of two things:

I order off the kids menu or

My daughter and I share an regular entree.

We usually have to pay an extra dollar. It's usually a dollar for an adult to have a kid's meal and it's a dollar "plate" charge to share in Mexican and Italian places that also serve "complementary" chips and salsa or bread or whatever. I think that's fair. Otherwise, we aren't usually charged but make sure to remember that the waiter/ess served three people and not two.

In a fast food restaurant with no "complementary" items and no waitstaff, you should be able to order from which ever menu you want.

I've never been to a fast food place that had any rules; if it's on the menu, you can order it. That's as it should be. I think more sit-down restaurants should include an adult price on kids' or seniors' meals if they want to offer only certain ages a discount. It's ridiculous that I can't order whatever I want if it's on the menu.

The Freddy's menu says their kid's meals are for 10 and under (or maybe 12 and under, not sure). But I always order from the kid's menu because I like grilled cheese and they don't have that on the adult menu. They've never said I can't have it, or tried to charge me extra. I even get it with toppings like grilled onions, mmm.