Menu

What is your FIRST thought when you see this picture?

Now I admit that over the last few years I have become less and less in favor of gun ownership. I am not ready to throw out the second amendment but I have serious concerns. But I have loads of family and friends who are very pro-gun and I respect their right to their opinion.

But

A friend posted this on FB today and when I saw it, something inside me instantly recoiled in horror. I get the "thought" behind it... That females should know how to protect themselves. But there is just something about this photo that shocked me.

So, how about you? What is your first impression of it?

Maybe I am just getting soft and too easily shocked?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew what picture it was going to be before clicking on it, I've seen it on facebook as well. I figure the girl is still too young at least for a hand gun. I think about boys going hunting with their dad and the ages that are ok for that. I would probably be ok with shotguns or rifles for that age but probably not handguns. I really don't have a good explanation for why though.

When I looked at the picture I thought, "What a horrible thing for a little girl to have to experience. Little girls shouldn't have to think about protecting themselves. That's what her mommy and daddy are for."

When I read the words, I got the point. I learned how to shoot a gun so I can protect my daughter and myself. I can't imagine that being necessary for a girl her age.

Huh, honestly doesn't bother me--and I'm really not a gun person, don't own one, don't want one. I did learn to shoot, though, and see target practice as just that--trying to hit a target. Would it shock you if the mother was teaching her daughter to shoot a bow and arrow?

Intellectual analysis says it might be disturbing because the child is young and we associate guns with violence; because the mother is wearing a holstered gun; because the photo seems to be in front of a house (not a shooting range or something). But no, I don't get a negative gut reaction to it.

Honestly, without the caption it doesn't bother me. My dh has taken our girls out shooting with him. It is mainly a LOT of gun safety with very little shooting taking place.

The caption is what is inflammatory. Do I think all women need to learn to shoot or handle firearms? No, especially not because they are fearful. But if a girl wants to learn to shoot, then go for it. Without the caption this could be a simple picture of a woman showing a girl how to hold a gun and some basic firearm safety (such as NEVER point a gun at someone or at yourself).

Personally, I have chosen not to fire a gun more than a handful of times in my life. I don't enjoy hunting and I'm too nervous to carry a gun on my person (conceal and carry). My dh, however, owns quite a few guns for hunting and personal protection. He has his conceal and carry license and has a gun on him 90% of the time. It's not a big deal to me one way or the other.

My first thought is that the mother is teaching the child to be more scared of our world than she needs to be at that age.

Yes. I think the gun thing is beside the point. There's a commercial I detest where a mother is given a rape whistle for her infant girl. It's the same sort of thing. Push a point by making people fearful.

Besides, shooting a gun is a useful skill if you want to hunt and a fun sport. Are those not reasons a daughter might want to shot? Is the only possible reason a girl should learn to shoot because she'll be a victim because of her gender?

my kids have shot guns when they were that small. But we weren't making a statement about taking care of themselves. We were all just shooting for fun at a target. They wanted to see if they could hi the target. And they weren't using handguns. They were shooting a .22 rifle.

The thought they they would ever want or need to shoot a person has not occurred to them before the age of 13.

The caption is what is disturbing to me. And that child should not be shooting that gun.

Around here, kids start with .22 rifles. The recoil is minor and they are less likely to turn around and accidentally point it in the wrong place.

. I would probably be ok with shotguns or rifles for that age but probably not handguns. I really don't have a good explanation for why though.

Because handguns are generally thought of as personal protection, whereas other guns are used mainly for hunting.

(I do realize that they can be used interchangeably. It's just my general thought about guns)

Way, way, WAY too young. I just don't see why anyone needs to learn to shoot a gun before they're a teenager, at the very youngest. It's not like an elementary school girl is going to be packing heat when she's walking home from school or whatever, so even if she does know how to fire a handgun, it's not going to do her any good. The whole thing is ridiculous.

My first thought is that the woman was putting the little girl in danger of being hurt. I don't know much about guns but isn't there a hard recoil? Couldn't that shock injure such a little body? My second thought was would the little girl really understand what was being taught to her.

Reading other people's responses, it never occurred to me that this could be for gun safety only. The picture really does look like this woman is going to let that little girl shoot a gun. Of course, I have absolutely no experience with guns of any kind. I know basic stuff like don't point a gun at someone but I think that can be taught with a less shocking piece of hardware.

It doesn't bother me except that the girl looks so little that I'd be afraid the recoil would hurt her. But I don't know anything about that other than what I've read. I don't have a gun and have never shot one, so I'm not some big pro gun heat packing person. Why would you assume the mother is telling her daughter that people will hurt her? I was thinking more along the lines of teaching her target practice and teaching her a skill. I think the bow an arrow analogy is good. You can see a boy with a knife and think assault, or you can think whittling. I think the caption was designed to be inflammatory- it's supposed to make pro-gun people say, "Right on!" and it's supposed to make people uncomfortable with guns more uncomfortable.

On a somewhat unrelated note, we saw a sign at a museum yesterday from California around the mid 1800s. It said something like, "Law abiding citizens are forbidden to carry weapons to allow criminals to more easily murder and plunder. From the Sagacious Society of Do Gooders." I wish I had taken a picture because I can't find it online. It made DH and I laugh because it shows that Americans have been having the same argument for 150 years!

It does cause me to recoil. If my daughter wanted to learn to shoot, I would be okay with it, but this girl seems awfully young for it to be her idea. I saw an even worse picture on fb today. It was a girl about the same age as this one, but the gun was much bigger. Even worse? My friend's comment "dd's name needs one of these in pink" I was horrified and disgusted.

My first thought when I saw the photo was that I couldn't believe that that woman was having her child hold a gun.

My first thought when I read the text was from a protection from abuse case I handled about a decade ago.

It's an odd jumble of text and photos....most domestic abuse issues (the first time it happens---ie, when they should leave the relationship) don't hinge on whether someone knew how to handle a gun.

My first thought is that the woman was putting the little girl in danger of being hurt. I don't know much about guns but isn't there a hard recoil? Couldn't that shock injure such a little body? My second thought was would the little girl really understand what was being taught to her.

Reading other people's responses, it never occurred to me that this could be for gun safety only. The picture really does look like this woman is going to let that little girl shoot a gun. Of course, I have absolutely no experience with guns of any kind. I know basic stuff like don't point a gun at someone but I think that can be taught with a less shocking piece of hardware.

This was my first thought (as I hinted at in my post). Why? Because I have been around people with guns all of my life including my dh. The first thing that you teach children, especially ones that small, is basic gun safety. You do this over and over and over for months before you ever let them pull a trigger. I would say that 95% of gun owners are very conscientious about gun safety. I would also say that most would not have a child shooting a handgun as their first shooting experience, but a .22 like a pp mentioned. However, because handguns are smaller, they are easier for children to maneuver which is good when teaching about sighting and aiming. Unless the picture actually showed the little girl pulling the trigger, my first thought would be gun safety.

My first thought is that a kid that young should start with a BB gun, not a handgun. The caption is definitely over the top. Restraining orders don't always work and I'm all for raising strong daughters but I wouldn't be using that as a reason to teach my preteen daughter how to use a gun.

Shotguns are where the real recoil is. A handgun will not physically hurt the shooter.

So, how about you? What is your first impression of it?

Maybe I am just getting soft and too easily shocked?

https://www.facebook...elevant_count=1

My first thought? That little girl is a little young and that gun is too big for her.

But yes, I think we should teach our daughters how to shoot. I think that a piece of paper is just that and if the other person involved won't abide by it, then it is of no use.

I have no problem with guns, but that photo and caption did rub me the wrong way. The idea of teaching a young child to contemplate shooting a human (for real) is repugnant to me (and to many gun enthusiasts). I'm not talking about pretend "pow pow," but pointing and actual gun at a human is an absolute no-no until you're in a life-or-death situation AND old enough to think it through.

My first thought: teach your DD to develop healthy self esteem, critical thinking, and independence - because this will greatly reduce her need for a restraining order against some loser boyfriend or husband.

I can not fathom teaching a small child to shoot with the motivation that she should know how to shoot a human.

I didn't have any negative reaction at all to the photo or the caption, although I do understand why some people would. I certainly would never have a conversation with my children, especially at the age of the girl in the photo, about shooting someone. That said, I don't see anything wrong with teaching children proper gun safety and use, even at a young age, particularly if they're in a household where firearms are common.

We always had guns in our house and we knew how to use them, how to clean and care for them, and that we had to stay away from them unless we had adult supervision. I always wanted a BB gun, but my parents wouldn't hear of it. They always said that all guns are weapons, not toys, (except toy guns, obviously), and that too many people think of a BB gun as a plaything. I got my first gun (single shot .22 rifle) at 10 years old, which I inherited from my 18 year old brother when he got a new one for Christmas. I'm also making arrangements to take my kids to a shooting range soon. My 10 year old is the one who really wants to go and to learn. I wouldn't force them.

The little girl is a bit young, and the caption of course is to sensationalize the photo, but in 4H kids start learning to shoot at age 8. Shooting is a sport, kids win scholarships to college, big scholarships if they are good.

I do agree with the caption for older kids and adults though. I know two people who were killed by ex spouses, because restraining orders are just a piece of paper. It is very sad that people are crazy, but the fact remains that there are crazy people out there, and police cannot be everywhere to protect us.

First thought? Smokin' hot babe.

Second thought? Smokin' hot babe.

Third thought? If this were "real" why do I have a feeling the people would look like they escaped from the set of Honey Boo Boo?

Bill

I don't know why you have that feeling.

Lots of smokin' hot babes like to shoot. And middle aged sort of average looking moms, dads, teens etc. ;)

It's surprisingly relaxing to fill a paper target full of holes.

On the rare occasion we target shoot, we do use a rather boring looking little .22 Marlin Model 60 "plinker". Not very "sexy".

What bothered me most were the words. Like Regentrude, I believe you can raise your girls to be strong women who won't end up with loser boyfriends/husbands that they need protection from. And it doesn't involve giving them guns. Go to college, get an excellent education and means of independence, hang around with others who do the same, grow up before you marry, and while you may choose a lifestyle where guns are helpful (hunting, living on a ranch, policework), you won't need it to protect yourself from bad relationship choices.

First thought: Humans are devolving. Second thought: Mom loves herself more than her dd because mom has on safety glasses while dd has none. Third thought: I would be equally horrified no matter what child was in the photo (regardless of gender, age, or race).

First thought? I wonder if the mother of this child knows how this picture has been used and circulated around the net with a tagline that may or may not have anything to do with the reasons behind said picture.

Beyond that, whose business is it if this person wants to teach their child how to shoot? Presumably, if she is the mother she is doing what she feels is right for her kid just like all the rest of us are. More children need to be taught how to first respect guns and then how to properly shoot them instead of opting to fear them. I think it's a basic skill that all children and adults alike should learn. At this child's age there is nothing wrong with learning safety, how a gun feels, sighting, aiming etc. Most people don't bat an eye when it's a boy shooting with his dad, why all the fuss when it's a girl?

What bothered me most were the words. Like Regentrude, I believe you can raise your girls to be strong women who won't end up with loser boyfriends/husbands that they need protection from. And it doesn't involve giving them guns. Go to college, get an excellent education and means of independence, hang around with others who do the same, grow up before you marry, and while you may choose a lifestyle where guns are helpful (hunting, living on a ranch, policework), you won't need it to protect yourself from bad relationship choices.

Of course you can. You can't, however, protect them from being noticed by people who would like to harm them.

Not every woman who has ever been threatened has made bad relationship choices. Sometimes she is actually being threatened because she refused to get involved, or tries to help a friend out of a bad situation. You cannot blame bad choices on every possible situation a woman might encounter violence against her person.

I though some more about what bothered me most about it, and it is not the gun per se: it is teaching a young girl that people are bad, relationships are dangerous, and one has to be constantly on guard and ready to defend oneself (if needed, by firearm.)

This is so contrary to the world in which I grew up, and the picture about relationships my parents modeled and instilled in us. I grew up expecting to find a good person with whom to spend my life, and I did, as did my parents, grandparents, extended family. I am most concerned not about the gun in the picture, but about the lesson this child is being taught about relationships: she is taught to expect the worst. I wonder about self-fulfilling prophesies, and I wonder whether girls like this can grow up to develop the trust and security needed to engage in a healthy and stable relationship.

Why would you assume the mother is telling her daughter that people will hurt her?

The caption.

Or as we like to say in our family: Common sense and a fully loaded brain are the very best protection one can have.

I'd already seen it.

I'm not a gun owner.

To me it looks like a woman showing a gun to a small child. It reminds me of watching a firefighter demonstrate putting on all of his protective gear with a group of kids -- just an adult de-mystifying something. And the verbiage mentions "women", which refers to adults.

I was pretty much able to see that it didn't say, "hey, let's all teach little kids to fire guns." That didn't even cross my mind. Nor did the idea that it was saying, "hey, let's instill fear in our kids!"

ETA: I'm pretty sure we could find some women with common sense and a fully loaded brain who have ended up victims of stalking.

The caption annoys me, like a self-fulfilling prophecy that the child is going to marry a violent loser that the child would need to shoot at. While I know a restraining order can be useless against an ex or even a stalker, the caption just seems overboard for the picture.