Menu

Poll: Do your pants go over or under your belly button?

Jean in Newcastle

Do your pants go over or under your belly button?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Do your pants go over or under your belly button?

• Over
    • Under
    • I don't wear pants
    • The dreaded other aka "it depends"

I'm not sure how to answer that poll. Yes they have to go either over or under. So yes? But then is the no answer for those that are nudists since there is an 'I don't wear pants'' answer. Anyway, people in this area joke that you can tell a persons age by the height of their pants. A well dressed person though IMHO should NEVER have their pants above their belly button. Good dress pants should sit just under. And for those with a lot of mommy tummy, the jeans sit just under as well. Mine sit about 1- 1 1/2 in under.

I vote under.

Except: high school track coaches must wear them at least 10 inches above their belly bottom, and any self respecting plumber wears his a several inches below, allowing for the dreaded plumber's crack.

ETA: Do not, I repeat, do not google images of plumber's crack. It is not pretty. It could make a lot of people change their votes to over, too.

Most of my jeans ride under my belly button, but anymore that is uncomfortable for me and tends to cause me pain if I wear them for too long. I have a couple of pair that ride right at my belly button, and that is most comfortable for me. I don't like them to ride above my belly button. As for comfy pants that I wear around the house, most ride below, but I have a couple that ride above. I am 35, btw, if that matters.

Definitely under. If they are over (above) they squeeze my ribcage-----I'm quite short!

This is me, too. My torso is very short, with little room between my pelvis and ribs. "Above my bellybutton" looks the same as "under my armpits".

I saw the "it depends" option, and thought it was referring to Depends.

It depends. I'm fairly short-waisted so "low-rise" usually hits my belly-button. That works for me most of the time. The newer high waisted pants would hit my BooKs (and I'm small so not sagging down far), so that doesn't work. My lounge around the house sweats and yoga pants might go slightly above my belly button.

I chose the dreaded "other." I have some of each. I much prefer pants to go higher than my belly button, because it keeps me from worrying about butt-crack showing. However, I thought I would give the new mid-rise a try, so I have a couple pairs of those. I have to keep them tightly belted and even then they can slide low enough for the horror of revealed butt-crack. It's really hard to find pants that have a waist above the belly-button level right now in regular sizes. Every time I have found a pair, they've been plus size with an elastic waist.

I voted over, but what I really wanted was an option for "just at the belly button". I guess maybe it's just me, but if my pants are below my natural waistline, they slide down continuously. If I buy below-the-bellybutton jeans that are tight enough not to slide down, then I have the dreaded muffin top. :banghead:

I just changed my pants so I could measure for this very important poll. The waistband sits over the top of my hip bone. There are 4 inches between the top of the jeans and my belly button. I first measured in the sweatpants I was wearing, and got the same measurement.

Neither of those pairs of pants are scandalously low. And after my high school years - I know what scandalously low pants look like!

I'm wondering if this is a discussion between adults at the OP's house, or an adult and a child.

I refuse to buy pants that go under my belly button. I wore those in the 70s, when I was young and very thin. I'm finished with that, partly because in order for those pants to stay up, they'd have to be tight enough that my fat would hang over, and that's just ugly, not to mention the issue of what I look like from behind if I have to squat down and my shirt goes up while the pants go down...0_o

OTOH, Mr. Ellie's "waist" is naturally just below his belly button. If he pulls his pants up to his belly button, he looks funny. :-p But he isn't wearing low-rider pants.

Am I the only one who finds the "under/over" terminology strange? My thought is how on earth clothing could go *under* one's belly button. ALL of my clothing stays over my skin, thank you very much!

But I assume the question is about the height of the waistband -- above or below the navel. My pants usually come to just about at my belly button. I am short-waisted and have only about an inch between my belly button and my natural waist (unlike magazine models who seem to have 5-6 inches in between). Typical modern pants come about to my belly button but could be a little above or a little below. I

I had to vote the dreaded "other". I am very short waisted. I've got legs that go on for miles, but my torso is very short. I try to buy pants that hit below the belly button on most people so that they will hit my belly button. If I buy normal rise jeans they hit the bottom of my rib cage. Enter Erkle.

I have changed my style gradually over the last 6 months to a 40s retro. So, now I do have high rise pants. But I do prefer most of my pants to hit below my belly button.

My boys and dh all wear their pants on their hips (no crack showing, not saggin). So there pants would hit below the naval also.

Definitely under. Where do you even find pants short of maternity that go OVER your belly button?? I have a very short torso and my pants are still all under.

However, I have one pair of maternity leggings that I love (they are supposed to be UNDER belly when pregnant) and they sit right at my belly button when I am not pregnant. They are so comfortable and I love the fit. I'm sure they would look really weird if they were jeans though.

There seems to be a LOT of variation in belly button position. :-)

4 inches below my belly button would be indecent exposure, there's only about 7 inches between my belly button and top-of-thigh level. There's about 6 inches between belly button and bottom of sternum. Like I said, short waisted, all my height is in my legs.

I just changed my pants so I could measure for this very important poll. The waistband sits over the top of my hip bone. There are 4 inches between the top of the jeans and my belly button. I first measured in the sweatpants I was wearing, and got the same measurement.

Neither of those pairs of pants are scandalously low. And after my high school years - I know what scandalously low pants look like!

I'm wondering if this is a discussion between adults at the OP's house, or an adult and a child.

I am honored that you actually changed your pants and measured for this poll!

It was an entire family discussion - a very heated discussion with much raising of the shirts and arm waving! :D

I like them at my belly button more or less. Not way over. But this is really dependent on the cut of the pants - I have different pants cut different ways. The question makes it sound like everyone probably buys just one cut of pants. Do people really do that?

No, and I realize from reading responses that belly buttons and waists come at different levels. And that I should have put "at belly button height". It is actually strange that I didn't put that option since that is where I wear my pants!

I voted under...but just barely, .but I do have one newer pair that hits at my waist line and not as comfortable. I remember watching What not to Wear with Stacy and Clinton and they told one of their clients that their jeans need to be 2-3 inches or so below their belly button....I measured this for me and it was ridiculously low on me....I would never be able to bend over without fear. But from reading these comments, I guess a lot depends on if you are long or short wasited and the length of your rise.

Okay, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only "right on the navel" gal here. I like pants to sit right on my natural waist, which just happens to be right in line with my navel!

See, that's what I assumed was meant by "over." I don't want my pants riding right under my ribcage 0_o but I don't want any kind of low-rider pants. Anything that is actually *below* my naval is low-rider.