Menu

Are you naturally nice or nasty?

Nice = "Pleasant in manner; good-natured; kind.  

1. 1. Nice = "Pleasant in manner; good-natured; kind.

• Naturally nice.
    • Naturally nice and it's reinforced by a belief system (which may or may not be God related)
    • Naturally mean-spirited
    • Naturally mean-spirited but my belief system has lead me to act or be "nice"
    • other

In our neighborhood is a house that always has horrible, tacky inflated decorations occupying the entire front yard. They really are an eye sore. As I was driving past this morning I thought, "I would love to sneak over at night and rip them to shreds." Truthfully, if I wasn't a Christian I probably would because I think I'm naturally inconsiderate and cold-hearted. Maybe it's the way I was raised or just human nature. I asked a friend and she said that when she drives by she just thinks that if they want to announce to their world their poor taste, they can. She's a much nicer person than I am; being nice seems to be second nature for her.

Um whoa...I'm pretty pessimistic, but honestly I have never had a thought like that. I might think it looked silly, but I would not for one second have a thought to rip anything to shreds.

Eek me either.

I am nice, but I am capable of being sarcastic. I don't think I am mean because that would assume I care enough to go to the lengths.

I tend to give people more "benefit of the doubt" or empathize with them. On the other hand, the sinful part of my heart seems pretty loud at times. I am not sure I'd think to rip down someone's decorations, but I can see myself complaining bitterly to any and all who came to my house. :(

Are you trying to discuss theology? I have a generally easy going nature (which might be described as "nice" - which is still part of my sinful nature because it can be the part of me that is self righteous) with pockets of hateful thoughts which I've been trained to mostly hide (which might be described as nasty with a touch of hypocricy but is really my sinful nature).

In our neighborhood is a house that always has horrible, tacky inflated decorations occupying the entire front yard. They really are an eye sore. As I was driving past this morning I thought, "I would love to sneak over at night and rip them to shreds." Truthfully, if I wasn't a Christian I probably would because I think I'm naturally inconsiderate and cold-hearted. Maybe it's the way I was raised or just human nature. I asked a friend and she said that when she drives by she just thinks that if they want to announce to their world their poor taste, they can. She's a much nicer person than I am; being nice seems to be second nature for her.

This is why I live in the woods. Neighbors who just can't mind their own business.

I am naturally nice, but being nice has come back to bite me in the butt way too many times. So I'm bitter. Nice, but bitter.

:iagree: I like this description. I'm naturally nice, but after 43 years, I'm very distrustful about people, in general. I find very few people to be trustworthy, so I tend to be pessimistic about human nature now.

:iagree: I like this description. I'm naturally nice, but after 43 years, I'm very distrustful about people, in general. I find very few people to be trustworthy, so I tend to be pessimistic about human nature now.

Interesting you are 43. I am 45 and I am wondering if it has anything to do with it, because I wasn't bitter in my 30's, it's kind of a 40's thing for me. I'm hoping I mellow as I get even older.

But I'm still nice :)

I think we all have naturally nice and naturally mean instincts. Even someone who seems like the sweetest person in the world can have moments of meanness and even people who seem pure evil started life as sweet babies. I can't make myself believe those sweet babies were born evil. Somewhere, maybe buried deep inside, I think everyone has both inclinations within them.

as long as people don't have trash or old cars and such junk, I am okay with neighbors yards as long as the grass is mowed. We have one very rich house that has a statue of a boy peeing in a fountain, is that considered tacky or how about gnomes, is that tacky? Our neighbors across the street use tons of the inflatable things for the holidays. We like them, we also really like the neighbors. To op, what exactly causes the yard decorations to be an eyesore to you?

I don't I am "nasty" but I'm sarcastic and snarky. Most people I know like me but I have a wicked sense of humor. We went to a mystery dinner party last week and I was supposed to be a super nice character named Mary. I had to keep kicking myself to stay in character!! :D

I do tamp down my sarcasm a lot. It's not always understood!

I put other. First of all, I am a Christian so being nasty is not an option. I am not a nasty person in my personality either since I don't like slapstick comedy and such stuff. But I am not a particularly nice person either mainly because I am distractable and may not notice a need. Also, I am absolutely not a pushover and most put out such an aura because I don't get hassled by criminals and various other assorted characters.

I don't know how to answer. I think I'm pretty nice. I know a lot of people think so too. But I also know that I rub some people really the wrong way - sometimes I don't even understand what I've done that they think is so mean (sometimes I do, I just think they're incorrect). So isn't this partly a question of perception.

I'm not much bothered by decorations though. I might come after LisaMarie's giraffe though. ;) But I'd treat him real nice after the kidnapping.

Are you trying to discuss theology? I have a generally easy going nature (which might be described as "nice" - which is still part of my sinful nature because it can be the part of me that is self righteous) with pockets of hateful thoughts which I've been trained to mostly hide (which might be described as nasty with a touch of hypocricy but is really my sinful nature).

I think you are my long lost twin. This is exactly how I would describe myself.

Op, I wonder if you aren't being a little judgemental with yourself. I don't think a person who has nasty ideas cross his/her mind once in a while is naturally nasty. I think many people have these thoughts, but they don't act on them. You probably also have good or generous thoughts that pop into your head too. The thing is many people perseverate on the negative, so you don't remember the good to give yourself balance.

Interesting you are 43. I am 45 and I am wondering if it has anything to do with it, because I wasn't bitter in my 30's, it's kind of a 40's thing for me. I'm hoping I mellow as I get even older.

But I'm still nice :)

This is me, too. I was always so incredibly nice because its not only my nature, but I hate for people not to like me. I have very thin skin.

Now that I'm almost 50, it's getting thicker. :D. I do tend to speak my mind and opinions more, but if I've upset someone I still obsess over it and don't sleep well. Baby steps. :tongue_smilie:

I think I naturally evolve over time to a more tolerant, benevolent person. However, this does not include tolerance for repetitive noises AAAAAGH.

I don't know how much of it is "belief system." I do think I am affected by reading spiritual stuff that "hits home." For example, after reading some Buddhist/Hindu stuff, I began to see myself as "potentially in the shoes of" anyone I passed on the street, whether rich or homeless. But part of it is the humility that comes with life experience (after all, which of us is as perfect as we were at, say, 20?). The whole "there but for the grace of God go I" takes on more meaning as we age.

That said, I never did have a desire to, e.g., smash pumpkins. Toilet paper the principal's house, maybe.

:grouphug: on your neighborhood eyesore.

I voted "other" because I hate the poll.;):lurk5:

I have spent the last 24 hours responding to a suicidal 18 year old, and working to get him the best care for his situation (and that of his weary family.)

But there are plenty of people who would classify me as "nasty."

Sometimes nice and sometimes mean, which goes along with the Catholic belief that everyone is capable of both good & evil. I work to resist the temptation to sin, not always as successfully as I would wish :blushing:

In terms of the tacky decorations on the neighbor's lawn, I'd be tempted to "accidentally" ruin them similar to the mom in A Christmas Story "accidentally" breaking the leg lamp while vacuuming :lol:

Eek me either.

I am nice, but I am capable of being sarcastic. I don't think I am mean because that would assume I care enough to go to the lengths.

This is me too.

It depends on the day and what is going on. I can be wonderful. I can be your worst nightmare (well, in my mind anyway).

My faith helps me reign it in, like seriously.

One night, I had just had ENOUGH of my neighbor who constantly let his dog out to do his business in the center (not even the edge!) of my yard and then called him back in. I was going to pile up the dog stuff and leave it on his back step. Then I open my Bible and find:

Proverbs 3:29 Do not plot harm against your neighbor, who lives trustfully near you.

and then:

Proverbs 20:22 Do not say, "I will repay evil"; wait for the LORD, and he will help you. (which I found funny at the time).

Ok, ok...got the message. I did nothing but cleaned it up. In a few weeks a perfect opportunity presented itself and I was able to politely request that he clean up after his dog. He actually said...I kid you not ..."Well, YOUR dog goes there!" So I said, "Yes, but should I have to clean up after my dog and again after your dog?"

He never did it again. :tongue_smilie:

Last Christmas I saw a woman tearing apart lawn decorations on someone's front yard. It was insane!! Don't do it, it's NOT pretty. :tongue_smilie:

She was frothing and heaving. I rolled my window down and asked if it was her home... I thought she was going to come at me! :lol:

Sometimes I think about her and hope she was drunk or just found out some news that made her go bonkers. I mean, it's kinda scary to think she was so offended by the blinky X-mas trees that she had to go throw them around.

I try hard to be nice and it feels very natural. Just when I think I'm an alright kind of person I go and do something jerky. Maybe I'm a nice jerk.

Edited by helena

I am naturally nice, but being nice has come back to bite me in the butt way too many times. So I'm bitter. Nice, but bitter.

These two descriptions pretty much sum me up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 425lisamarie

Eek me either.

This is me. Though I am also naturally quiet, so people mistake that as being rude. I can't win.

Me three.

The only time I'm downright nasty is when I admit to some less than perfect thought, word or deed and am met with "how horrible! How can you think/say/do such a thing!" type response. Cmon- we are none of us perfect. I might not be proud of what I did (or considered doing), but it doesn't make me some damaged, flawed person, unworthy of your perfect little presence. Plus, I know for a fact no one walking around with a brain between their ears is nice ALL the time. (can you tell this strikes a chord?:tongue_smilie::lol:) the uber perfect, judgmental Types can bring out my nasty right quick. I should probably work on that...

Nothing wrong with thinking that. I'm sure you're not the only person in the neighborhood to have these kinds of thoughts --or the only person in the world for that matter. It's what you do (your actions) that count.

Honestly, I'm a little concerned OP. :001_huh:

Seriously?

I'm generally pretty nice but I've had mean-spirited thoughts at times. They pop up, I crush them, no biggie. I always thought they were just part and parcel of being a normal, somewhat faulty, human being. Maybe some people never have those kinds of thoughts but honestly, the idea that someone would be concerned over me having them seems a little over the top.

Seriously?

I'm generally pretty nice but I've had mean-spirited thoughts at times. They pop up, I crush them, no biggie. I always thought they were just part and parcel of being a normal, somewhat faulty, human being. Maybe some people never have those kinds of thoughts but honestly, the idea that someone would be concerned over me having them seems a little over the top.

You ever see Steve Martin in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (or at least the trailer)? I get these impulses to push elderly people into the lake - totally inappropriate thoughts and I never act on them - but I have them!

I've never heard anyone describe me as "nice" and I probably wouldn't use that description either. Blunt, honest, fun, sarcastic is more the norm. I answered other, though, because I wouldn't consider myself nasty. To me, nasty is being mean or hurtful just for the sake of being mean or hurtful.

If someone asks my opinion, they will get it. I will word it kindly but I won't sugar coat it. Oddly enough, my friends and family ask my opinion often because they know they'll get the truth and I'm not trying to be mean.

I'll help a stranger but I may laugh to my husband later about what an idiot they were to get themselves in the situation in the first place (I'd expect the same of them if the roles were reversed).

I generally think the best of others, and they generally pull through on those expectations. But, conversely, I don't have seriously high expectations in general so they're easy to meet.

I will not suffer fools and I'll state as much to the fool if they can't take a subtle hint.

I sometimes think pretty horrible things about others or things. I'm a Buddhist and don't believe in any divine beings, although I still have morals, but have no issues not acting upon those thoughts. (Well, except for the time we egged this snobby, cruel chick's car in high school. I still don't regret it!)