Menu

Do you respond to ads on your Facebook sidebar?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you respond to ads on your Facebook sidebar?

• I sometimes click on these ads.
    • I rarely or never click on such ads.
    • I loathe these ads, and would think less of a company for using them.
    • I am not on Facebook.

So we at Peace Hill Press, having long since mastered the cutting-edge technology of "The Printing Press," and having rapidly come to prominence in this new-fangled "Facebook" thing that "the kids" are always "talkin' about," are seeking ways to enhance our profile on the Internets. Facebook has been telling us that we should create an ad (which would begin appearing on the right side of the Facebook newsfeeds of people who have listed certain interests such as Homeschooling). If you're on Facebook, you've seen such ads appear on the right side of your newsfeed, but do you ever respond to them?

Opinions in the office are mixed, ranging from "I never click on those sidebar ads" to "this is an excellent opportunity" to "stop talking about Facebook; I'm busy with an important game of Words With Friends." So we're turning to the wisdom of the Hive Mind. Please let us know your thoughts on the usefulness of Facebook advertising.

I never click on the ads. In fact, I have them hidden so I forgot there even WERE ads on FB! :lol:

That said, if I COULD see them, I might click on PHP just to see what's up. Or, maybe not, since I have you friended on FB and get updates from there. ( I should add that the PHP and SWB (and Jim Weiss) status updates are THE BEST! :) )

How's that for "no help"? :lol:

I don't mind Facebook ads, but I never click on them. The reason is that I always thought clicking on ad links could end up giving me issues with a virus or malware. I guess in my mind, they look a lot like the ads that pop up on other sites that I know are suspect.

It's a shame, because I think targeted ads are much better than random ads. There are ads I do not want to see.

I'm not on Facebook, and I hate all kinds of advertising - not very helpful, I know. The best advertisement for PHP, I think, is the number of people on this Forum who so obviously find your products an invaluable part of their children's education.

I don't mind Facebook ads, but I never click on them. The reason is that I always thought clicking on ad links could end up giving me issues with a virus or malware. I guess in my mind, they look a lot like the ads that pop up on other sites that I know are suspect.

It's a shame, because I think targeted ads are much better than random ads. There are ads I do not want to see.

:iagree: I'm always suspicious of the FB ads.

I was conflicted in my vote because "sometimes" and "rarely" can be the same thing. I voted sometimes. I have sometimes clicked on the ads, but it's been rare (a handful of times?). The times I HAVE clicked, it's been something extra interesting and relevant to me -- and probably something that would save me some money. I'm not so suspicious of the ads anymore (I used to be), and if your ad said "Publisher of the Well-Trained Mind" materials (or something like that), it might go a long way in credibility. A good money-saving offer would help even more.

Edited by milovaný

I never click on FB ads and have them hidden with AdBlocker. Too many are random, not applicable and sometimes inappropriate. If I'm interested in company offerings, I follow that company's page on FB and use it to source out my needs.

Well, normally, I would say no. However, homeschooling is such a different market, and homeschoolers are ALWAYS looking for curriculum info, so in this case I would probably say that the rules don't apply.

I generally don't click on the ads...in fact, I never click on the ads. BUT, if it were an ad for curriculum from a reputable company, that would be different. A coupon wouldn't hurt either. ;)

I am generally suspicious of Facebook ads. I don't play any games or take quizes etc. I am very much afraid of malware getting on my computer from those things. Would I click on a PHP ad? Perhaps. I would feel comfortable doing so, but I am not sure why I would need to click on it. Unless it was a special offer or a new product, I probably wouldn't click. However, homeschoolers not familiar with PHP might be inclined to click. It might be worth giving it a shot and see what happens.

:iagree: I'm always suspicious of the FB ads.

:iagree: Though I will say that I am probably suspicious of the ads because they seem dodgy, not just because they're there, if that makes sense.

And, um, Justin? Where's the "requisite other" option? ;)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I rarely click on the ads. However, the few times I have, they were targeted ads, usually regarding homeschooling, that popped up after I had done some related google searching.

Of course, this poll is not going to be particularly helpful because if we are here, we already admire the PHP products and would be more likely to click on a link. I don't think we are representative of someone on FB who is less familiar with PHP. But I will say that I don't recall clicking on those side ads for a company I've never heard of and *never* for one that makes outlandish or unbelievable claims.

FB has my demographics off somehow. I keep getting , "Become a Surrogate!" (Do you know how old my eggs are?!) I vote never, but I can't say for sure that I have never clicked one, ever-ever.

Yet. If the ads were ones that made sense? Possibly. Where to buy Logic books, specials at museums, announcements of hs conventions, I might. I *might*.

I could appreciate a business giving it a try.

Edited by LibraryLover

For those that hate these ads on Facebook: how do you think free things like Google and Facebook remain available? They can't provide these services for free out of the goodness of their hearts. :) I'm beyond annoyed at people who use inappropriate pictures in their ads but, fortunately, those are few and far between and your submitted complaints about specifically which ones those are to Facebook personally (not just a post on your wall) help a lot.

To PHP: we are marketers that have used many, many PPC locations. *I* would think Facebook ads would be a pretty good place for you guys as long as you have a good ad. :) That's just my opinion. :)

As far as clicking on them, I realized I voted seldom/never but that's not really accurate. I really do seldom click but if something is relevant and interesting to me I have been known to click from time to time. I've clicked on Teaching Company ads before and Dr Who merchandise. :)

By the way, Facebook has really good software and a pretty good staff that checks on links provided in ads. I don't know that it would be possible to click on a Facebook ad and get any malicious ware added to your computer without your knowledge unless you are a random "downloader" to every cute thing you see like one of our unnamed family members. :) Ads have to be approved by Facebook before they are posted and they are pretty thoroughly approved. Trust me :tongue_smilie:

I voted that I rarely click on those ads. I don't hate them, I recognize the fact that they pay for things like Facebook and Google, but that's not going to make me click them.

It is true that I *do* click on ads that are actually relevant to me like homeschool ads. BUT, then you get into this thing where it shows me ads for modest clothes and Mitt Romney. Boo. I hate the boxes that they put consumers into. [eta: right now, my ads are for: jobs for military spouses, zooba and a game called chefville, so those are some pretty good matches for me, lol. I clicked on the zooba one, because how did I not know about this before now?]

I am more likely to click on links to products that my friends mention and say that they love. I do tell people are the products that we use and love (many of them PHP products and/or books/lectures by Susan).

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I never click on the ads. I *will* look up something if it looks interesting, but on Google, not through FB. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I don't like to give FB that much info about me.

I would much rather see an ad for PHP than some of the other stuff out there.

Not only do I hate the ads and never click on them, and not only would I actually click the X to remove them and explain that they were uninteresting and not relevant, I also installed a Chrome app called Facebook Purity that removes the timeline and squelches all ads. So I wouldn't see an ad even if you had one, but I have to say that FB ads are, to me, not only completely worthless but an active annoyance that makes me avoid even bothering to see what the company is all about.

Tara

:blink: Yes, FB is free, but there was nothing saying you HAVE to look at ads in order to use the free service. There is nothing blocking the ability to hide ads. No need for scolding people who hate or avoid ads. :lol:

If and when FB demands viewing of ads, we can all reconsider. :)

Fwiw, I'm pretty consistent across the board. I also do not pay for my television viewing. I use an antenna. However, when commercials come on, I do not feel some moral obligation to sit through them...and I don't. :)

Why do I feel like I should thank all the ad-clickers here? ;)

I clicked on one the other day! It was for a new sewing store opening near me. I'm glad I did.

I think one of the important parts of advertising is not just having people click your link and directly buy products... it's just to plant a seed of name recognition. People remember the name, even if they don't remember where they saw it.

:blink: Yes, FB is free, but there was nothing saying you HAVE to look at ads in order to use the free service. There is nothing blocking the ability to hide ads. No need for scolding people who hate or avoid ads. :lol:

Fwiw, I'm pretty consistent across the board. I also do not pay for my television viewing. I use an antenna. However, when commercials come on, I do not feel some moral obligation to sit through them...and I don't. :)

:lol: Yes, I was thinking something very similar, but not quite so amusing or so well articulated :D.

I don't click on the fb ads. Too afraid. Nice to hear they are safe. I think placing and ad there is probably a good idea. Even if people like me don't click. I don't click on billboards I drive by, but I do see them. :001_smile:

Oh and I agree with the pp. No tagging without the promised tags inside. :D

To the OP:

This is my favorite meme of all time.

I don't think you are obligated to even glance at the ads. I just think it is unfair to *complain* about them when one is getting a free product or service. :001_smile: