Menu

Would you allow your dd to take BCP for cycle regulation?

Would you use BCP for cycle regulation in your teen dd?  

1. 1. Would you use BCP for cycle regulation in your teen dd?

• Yes, I have. or Yes, I would.
    • No, not an option.

If your young teen dd had irregular cycle issues (bleeding/spotting 2+weeks of each month) would you allow her to use BCP to regulate it?

No other medical conditions found at a check up by doctor.

A family history of the same issue in the mother and grandmother, both with no medical conditions found to cause it (irregular hormones blamed in both cases).

Has she had a FULL panel for PCOS?

I say that because I was a thin young woman with no obvious signs of PCOS. I was a long distance runner and it was blamed on that. Took BCP for 10 years, starting in high school, due to irregular cycles. We started ttc when I married in my mid 20s and that's when I stopped BCP. Only then did I figure out I wasn't cycling or ovulating, and I later got a PCOS diagnosis that was initially missed (eta: OB did some testing, not a full panel, interpreted higher end of normal results on two tests as "normal" when I was symptomatic. He missed a lot of testing he should have done, and make rookie mistakes like testing my total testosterone, but not my *free* testosterone which is usually a more accurate measure for detecting PCOS.)

With the family history, I'd really make sure there isn't something more to it. THe BCP were helpful in many ways, but it did mask the underlying problem.

I had a tough time getting diagnosed when I stopped because I don't have a lot of external signs. My ob/gyn didn't do all of the testing he could have and assured me my results were "normal." Only when I pressed and got into an reproductive endo did I get an official diagnosis.

You may have already gone through all of that. I just wanted to mention it because missing the diagnosis is not uncommon for regular obs, particularly if someone doesn't have a lot of external symptoms (mine seemed to think all women with pcos are overweight and hairy, which is simply not the case).

My RE at one point told me some of the older triphasic pills like I had been on for 10 years (ortho novum 7/7/7) were not a great choice for PCOS, but of course, no one knew I had it when I started. PCOS also has health implications beyond irregular cycles and/or infertility, so it is really important to be sure a diagnosis isn't missed.

Has she had pituitary and thryoid stuff ruled in/out? Endometriosis? Has she seen an endocrinologist, not just an OB or a general practitioner? I'd want an endo to rule everything out before proceeding, only because I really wouldn't want BCP masking the symptoms and causing a diagnosis to be missed.

(eta: I voted for both options because I did use them, I think they have their place, but I'd be reallly hesitant to chalk it up to "normal" or "normal given the family history" without extensive testing. I wish I could have been diagnosed earlier and had a better grasp on what I was dealing with. It was frustrating to have to fight for a proper diagnosis. I was brushed off, told I needed to "gain weight" (even though I had a normal BMI), etc.

Edited by Momof3littles
changed ortho cyclen 7/7/7 to ortho novum 7/7/7

This doesn't mean there are no underlying medical conditions. As a pp said, BCP will mask underlying conditions. I would try everything else first, before I would put dd on the pill.

Btdt. Had her wait until she was starting college. Then, the bc didn't stop the bleeding...It did help with her truly horrible other symptoms. A year later, she has had success on the older, high dosage pills. But, she can't stay on them due to the dosage. The depo shot is working (finally! it took quite a while), but she has been told she can't have it more than X times in a row??? Not sure what they will do when she has to come off of it. She truly cannot function the way she was in high school. Homeschooling, we basically just let her go to bed for 2 weeks every month.

Anyway, I knew she would be on bc, most likely, for life once she started it. I do not think it is good for young, developing girls to be on hormones, especially for that long.

adding: She has had thyroid, pituitary, and endometriosis ruled out. The thyroid and pit. for other reasons, the endo just for this.

Edited by Lolly

If the only issue was being irregular I don't think I would. It's annoying but not something I think justifies medication. However, if she's experiencing other things like strong mood swings, painful cramping etc. that I think I would try it.

I say that because I was a thin young woman with no obvious signs of PCOS.

Ditto.

When I discovered Demulen at 25 years old (ok I was prescribed it by the nurse practicioner in student health in grad school), it was heavenly. I didn't even know I had PCOS at the time, but my symptoms fit the profile in the NP's little book on the different varieties of oral contraceptives. I loved Demulen. (I'd take it even now but it turns out I have clotting issues :glare:.) I had easier cycles and I lost a bunch of weight.

Eta, whether I thought it would be right for my dd would depend on the situation, starting with age. The first couple years there's bound to be some irregularity. However, in the late teen years, hopefully things should have settled down. And I agree about considering other issues.

Come to think of it, the only time I had a great deal of issues with extra bleeding/spotting during the cycle, I had an endometrial polyp that had to be removed surgically. Has she had an ultrasound?

Edited by wapiti

I would if there were a good medical reason. Going on BCPs when I was 19 made a DRAMATIC difference in the migraines I'd struggled with for the previous 2 years, when several different other medications hadn't really done much except cause major side effects.

I would certainly consider it and I don't have a problem with BCP, however I'd want to rule out other underlying issues first. If she had been thoroughly tested for other problems and the BCP helped, I would not have a problem with BCP for cycle regulation at any age.

:iagree:

In my DD's case I would want the fact that multiple women in our family have PCOS and have had negative reactions to BCP given serious consideration by the medical professionals advising us, and it would factor heavily in our decision. (Assuming she was still of an age where it was our choice.)

If the only issue was being irregular I don't think I would. It's annoying but not something I think justifies medication. However, if she's experiencing other things like strong mood swings, painful cramping etc. that I think I would try it.

Probably not is my first answer. Just not a fan of artificial hormones, esp in young girls.

And given that my stint with hormonal bc as a teen nearly killed me (no hyperbole there either), dh and I would both be extremely nervous about having our any dd of our on hormones for any reason.

No, I wouldn't. But not because I am morally opposed to it. It's because BCP artificially interfere with hormones. I took them for 2.5 yrs ages 18-21. Afterwards my periods were whacky and I was later diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor denies a connection but I've always felt BCP triggered my hormonal problems. If your DD is seriously irregular (after she has been having periods for several years), she should be checked for a hormone irregularity. BCP will only mask a true problem.

I wouldn't say not an option, but I'd look for other ways to regulate her hormones first. It'd be a last resort. Last, last, last, and only if we had to.

If it were MY Daughter, I would say no, because I know what they did to me, and I don't want that happening to her. I get migraines from the smallest amount of hormones. I just really feel that they aren't good.

Agreed, BCP generally only mask the problem. We had a family history of problems, but nothing diagnosed. I went on the pill in college so that I would be healthy enough to go to my classes. It worked, sort of. It was at least better, though I had like every side effect in the books. I hated it, and stopped after a couple of years of trying different options.

But I found out last year that I have endometriosis, adenomyosis, and some other problems. No one else in my family had ever been fully tested for these, so for all we know there was a family history - certainly my symptoms were practically identical to my mom's.

Anyway, my advice is to keep looking for the cause. It's not normal to bleed that much, even if it's normal for your family. Don't assume nothing is wrong until you've explored every option.

I wish that my mom had let me take pills, I had SEVERE periods. My first was at age 11 and until I graduated high school I missed almost a week of school every month because I literally could not walk without doubling over and/or vomiting. I must have passed a gallon of blood each cycle, not even joking. I would never want my daughter to go through that, it still baffles me that my mom thought that was preferable to a once-a-day-pill that could solve most, if not all, of those issues.

Edited by greenvneck

No, I wouldn't. But not because I am morally opposed to it. It's because BCP artificially interfere with hormones. I took them for 2.5 yrs ages 18-21. Afterwards my periods were whacky and I was later diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor denies a connection but I've always felt BCP triggered my hormonal problems. If your DD is seriously irregular (after she has been having periods for several years), she should be checked for a hormone irregularity. BCP will only mask a true problem.

I was diagnosed with PCOS before I was put on the pill - I was put on the pill because I had PCOS - supposedly that was some kind of "fix". But the problem is exactly what you state - the bcp's take over the hormone regulation normally done by the hypothalamus, which is already whacky with PCOS. When I came off, I didn't ovulate or cycle at all and needed all sorts of heavy-duty intervention to become pg - it made the hormonal irregularites worse, not better. It wasn't till after my 1st pregnancy and diet changes (low-carb) that I cycled by myself.

I still wouldn't rule out bcps to regulate cycles if it were medically indicated, but I'd want to know the underlying reasons first and go into it with eyes open. I had a friend in college who was on bcp for endometriosis; she was in terrible pain before and that kept it under control. But if it were something like PCOS, I'd try diet before bcp.

It depends on how severe the issues are. I'm uncomfortable with artificial hormones, especially for still growing young women.

And, FTR, I was on and off BCP from... 15? 14? for this very reason. But I had severe, severe cramps (as in, missing school, cramping and pain so severe I was vomiting) and heavy bleeding. In that case, I would let DD do BCP. If it were just some spotting outside of regular time, I'd probably try and let her body regulate itself for awhile.

If it was medically necessary, I suppose, but like others said, I would want to rule out other serious issues. I went on age 17, because after three years I still was quite irregular. About two years later I started having a few minutes here and there of pain down there. Finally one morning the pain was so bad I couldn't walk, sit, stand, nothing. I got to he emergency room, because it seemed as though a watermelon was coming out of my butt, and they said I had ruptured a large ovarian cyst. The doctor said the pill's hormones could be feeding the cysts and I stopped taking them.

I have been off now for well over ten years and have had three children. My cycles are still irregular, but I am the envy of all the women who know me well. I only see AF three or four times a year for a few days and with normal discomfort. No complaints here.

You didn't have an "other." I would definitely look into other options before resorting to BCP for this. It would be pretty far down on my list of things to try. Not entirely ruling it out, but wanting avoid if at all possible. BTW, irregular hormones is not "nothing." But there are non pharmacological ways to encourage the body into hormonal balance.

Yep, this was my experience almost exactly. BCP from a young teen - later PCOS with irregular ovulation, no kidding, I had been hormonally preventing my body from ovulating since it had barely begun doing it (age 14)... I was put on it due to acne.

Have you looked into a naturopath? Vitex is a great hormone balancer.

I wouldn't say not an option, but I'd look for other ways to regulate her hormones first. It'd be a last resort. Last, last, last, and only if we had to.

If it were MY Daughter, I would say no, because I know what they did to me, and I don't want that happening to her. I get migraines from the smallest amount of hormones. I just really feel that they aren't good.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

You said everything I wanted to....

I say that because I was a thin young woman with no obvious signs of PCOS. I was a long distance runner and it was blamed on that. Took BCP for 10 years, starting in high school, due to irregular cycles. We started ttc when I married in my mid 20s and that's when I stopped BCP. Only then did I figure out I wasn't cycling or ovulating, and I later got a PCOS diagnosis that was initially missed (eta: OB did some testing, not a full panel, interpreted higher end of normal results on two tests as "normal" when I was symptomatic. He missed a lot of testing he should have done, and make rookie mistakes like testing my total testosterone, but not my *free* testosterone which is usually a more accurate measure for detecting PCOS.)

With the family history, I'd really make sure there isn't something more to it. THe BCP were helpful in many ways, but it did mask the underlying problem.

I had a tough time getting diagnosed when I stopped because I don't have a lot of external signs. My ob/gyn didn't do all of the testing he could have and assured me my results were "normal." Only when I pressed and got into an reproductive endo did I get an official diagnosis.

You may have already gone through all of that. I just wanted to mention it because missing the diagnosis is not uncommon for regular obs, particularly if someone doesn't have a lot of external symptoms (mine seemed to think all women with pcos are overweight and hairy, which is simply not the case).

My RE at one point told me some of the older triphasic pills like I had been on for 10 years (ortho novum 7/7/7) were not a great choice for PCOS, but of course, no one knew I had it when I started. PCOS also has health implications beyond irregular cycles and/or infertility, so it is really important to be sure a diagnosis isn't missed.

Has she had pituitary and thryoid stuff ruled in/out? Endometriosis? Has she seen an endocrinologist, not just an OB or a general practitioner? I'd want an endo to rule everything out before proceeding, only because I really wouldn't want BCP masking the symptoms and causing a diagnosis to be missed.

(eta: I voted for both options because I did use them, I think they have their place, but I'd be reallly hesitant to chalk it up to "normal" or "normal given the family history" without extensive testing. I wish I could have been diagnosed earlier and had a better grasp on what I was dealing with. It was frustrating to have to fight for a proper diagnosis. I was brushed off, told I needed to "gain weight" (even though I had a normal BMI), etc.

OP is saying there is a family history of cycle issues blamed on "hormones." That would make me think long and hard about whether something is being missed there.

While irreg. cycles aren't always abnormal, they certainly can be a marker for issues. With things like PCOS, it can have implications for fertility, cardiovascular health, blood sugar/insulin resistance and diabetes related issues, etc. So it isn't *just* about the cycles. That's why you don't want to miss it. Women with PCOS can be helped by lower carbing and in my case metformin helps me cycle normally (a drug for insulin resistance-wonky insulin levels screw up the rest of the hormones). Again, I'm a PCOSer of normal weight (bmi is 21), but low carbing totally helps to regulate my cycles (I choose to do metformin as well).

I had lots of time where I went months between cycles (eta: was not on met or LCing at that point). At one point after I had my DS1, I bled for 6 weeks straight because my lining had built up excessively. My doctors feel it is important for me to induce a cycle every 3 months if I am not cycling on my own, because otherwise there's an increased risk of endometrial cancer. In my case, with met and low carbing, I cycle pretty regularly. Those two things also helped me conceive naturally after going through infertility treatments with my eldest. My next two kids were conceived without having to go that route. If it is something like PCOS, I'd want my daughter addressing the root causes (insulin resistance, etc ) sooner rather than when she's starting to TTC a family.

I mentioned up thread that I have PCOS and didn't know it until I was on bcp for 10 years. In my case, I don't think BCP caused the PCOS. I have a family history that makes sense in retrospect-my mom and dad both have markers of metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance (high cholesterol for my mom, hypertension and elevated triglycerides for my dad, dad has psoriasis, grandfather had gout...). I have some siblings with those issues too. Adding all of that up, I think it makes sense. I don't have any sisters. eta: I do have a dd, and I will be watching what happens with her very. carefully. because I'd love for her to have the opportunity to address things via diet, metformin if needed, etc. from a much earlier age vs. when I finally got a chance to find out what I was dealing with. I consider it better to know the devil you are dealing with and address what you can, vs covering up the symptoms and not addressing the root causes.

Ditto things like thyroid issues, etc. THey have implications beyond cycles, so it is important to make sure they aren't being missed.

Edited by Momof3littles

I would but I would suggest that a checkup isn't going to catch something like endometriosis which could cause those symptoms. I went on the pill at 13 for much more severe symptoms that my "doctor" told me was just normal irregularity despite a family history of endo.

I fired him and insisted on seeing a specialist who diagnosed endo after a laparoscopy.

:iagree:YES. I had to start BCP when I was 16 because of horrible cramping, bleeding, throwing up, etc....

If your young teen dd had irregular cycle issues (bleeding/spotting 2+weeks of each month) would you allow her to use BCP to regulate it?

A family history of the same issue in the mother and grandmother, both with no medical conditions found to cause it (irregular hormones blamed in both cases).

I have some strong anti-BCP emotions here. I believe they are horrible for your system. I was part of a study done my USC medical school. They were trying to help prove that synthetic hormones are the largest contributor to breast cancer. I was one of the ones who did not take it.

I did try them in college. I took them for a total of 2 weeks. The entire right side of my body went numb and it was horrible. I was told I am one of the ones who could have a stroke by taking them.

There is a HUGE list of side effects, breast cancer and stroke are pretty serious things to get.

I would not let my daughter take them and would find an alternative. I realize that is just my opinion based on what I have read, but I feel pretty strongly about it for me and mine.

Probably not is my first answer. Just not a fan of artificial hormones, esp in young girls.

:iagree: In the absence of a pathological cause for the irregularity, I am not a fan of hormonal manipulation for something that's really just annoying. And, frankly, if the IS an underlying cause, I am not a fan of treating the symptoms unless they are in the way of treating the cause.

I would see a naturopath because there may be natural treatments to help regulate the cycle that don't have contraceptive & chemical abortifacient effects.

I had a bunch of friends in high school who convinced their moms to allow them to take BCP "for cramps" or other similar excuses when all they really wanted to do was sleep with their boyfriends :glare:

If I would have considered it before, I don't think I would now because another angel mom on my Compassionate Friends group lost her 16 year old dd from a blood clot caused by her birth control pills.

I had a similar experience. I took them the first 2.5 yrs we were married, ages 21-24. After I stopped them, I was irregular and had all these symptoms. I was finally diagnosed with PCOS and got pregnant on metformin after nearly two years of TTC.

Now that I am older, I find synthetic hormones of any type make me feel horrible--nausea, migraines, irritability, etc. I can't handle them at all and I'm not at all convinced that they are the benign things the medical industry claims (and passes out like candy). My daughter would have to be miserable, and we'd have to go some major ruling-out of causes before I'd let her go on BCPs during her formative years.

I voted yes simply b/c I had horrible periods as a teen that were so heavy and I had awful cramping. I missed a day of school every month for cramps! I don't want my dd to deal with that in her teen years. I wish I had considered it as a teen. My mom was very hands off after the divorce and my Dr mentioned it but I didn't want to take them. In hindsight it would have been better for my body at that stage in life. I think for my dd it will be an option.

I wouldn't, unless i had exhausted all other options. There are lots of herbs that areveryeffective at regulating cycles. I'd consult a naturopath/chiropractor/accupuncturist/herbalist etc, before i'd futz around with hormones directly.

I agree - I've used herbs to help regulate my cycle for years and find them very effective.

Yes. My 13 yo dd has been on BC for a year now. She is soooo much happier. Her cramps were pretty bad, and she would get an ovarian cyst every other month or so. Since being on the pill, no more cramps, no more cysts, and period lasts 3 days and very light.

I should add that she is on the lowest dose of BC.

Very little estrogen in it but enough to help her. It was a good decision for us.

ETA:She did not have irregular cycles though or heavy periods.

Edited by dancer67

Neither yes nor no...other.

I would insist upon tests first. PCOS and endometriosis.

If for missed, skipped, six or eight week cycles, no. They will eventually regulate themselves or they just may be how she cycles (I was every six weeks prior to children).

If for bleeding for 2-4wks, from the experience of friends with that issue, yes, BCP's might be a possibility. I don't like BCP's, but do recognise that hormone therapy is necessary in certain circumstances. Many times, the therapy is temporary.

I adduced this Is your 13 year old? I did not start having periods at all until 13, and it took a few years to get a regular cycle. So I would wait. Have her checked for any medical issues that could cause her problems before bc. I started bc in college because my cycles went from perfectly predictable, same pattern for 3 years, to completely out of whack. I was taking 21 hours plus 3 correspondence hours, in a sorority, grandmother passed away, got engaged....it was all stress related, the bc helped and I was grateful to be on it. I was however, about 20.

So I answered yes, but I would be hesitant to start them that young.

Yeah I don't know that they are super risky, but there are possible side affects and it hardly seems worth it to make one's cycle regular. Irregular cycles are only mildly annoying, not really a bothersome medical condition.

Eh, I don't know. I think it depends on the cause of the irregular cycles. Given the family history there, I'd err on the side of caution.

I haven't followed the more recent research on it that closely, but I know a build up of endometrial lining going on for more than about 3 months has been linked to endometrial cancer. I believe anovulatory cycles have also been linked to concerns over bone health, even in young women who are not cycling because they are serious athletes, etc. I'm not advocating bcps as the only fix, but I am just responding to several posts that have indicated irreg. cycles aren't a big deal. They can be.

Edited by Momof3littles

I haven't followed the more recent research on it that closely, but I know a build up of endometrial lining going on for more than about 3 months has been linked to endometrial cancer.

My understanding is that the same can be said of endometrial polyps - potentially linked to endometrial cancer - and can cause just the type of weird bleeding the OP's dd is having. IMO, before trying BCP, the dd should have an ultrasound. Eta, bleeding 2+ weeks out of a month sounds like more than simply irregular cycles (and doesn't sound like typical PCOS, though they might as well rule that out while they're at it).

I am just responding to several posts that have indicated irreg. cycles aren't a big deal. They can be.

Indeed. If I had a dime for every time (years ago) that I was told that my irregular cycles were "normal" when in fact they were indicative of PCOS, and are one of the prime symptoms, which is NOT normal. Not that I wouldn't take BCP (I have and I'd do it again if I could), but the root cause is different, with different potential solutions/strategies. (Note to PCOSers, different kinds of BCP can have drastically different results.)

Edited by wapiti