Menu

Does not one want to be called "grandma" anymore.

I have friends who are now grandmothers and they go by Gigi, Cece, Nene, one chose GrandMary (her first name). Whatever happened to grandma, grandmommy, granny or nana? Does it just sound to old for today's 40 something grandmother?

I don't know why there's such variety. I don't think it's bad, just different.

Although, when my mom tried to get the kids to start calling her 'GrandMom' when they've always called her 'Grandma' I stepped on that one. Hard.

I think it is because many children, due to medical interventions, have several grandmothers alive and so everybody needs a convenient title.

When dd came along, all four of her great-grandmothers were still alive and she was going to be coming into regular contact with them all during her learning to talk years. This gave her six grandmas and many times, three were in the room at once.

So, we had grandma (my mom), granny (dh's mom), grandmere (my paternal grandmother), grandmammy (my maternal grandmother), mimi (dh's paternal grandmother), and nana (dh's maternal grandmother).

Since dd says that her future children will NOT refer to me as "Oh, exalted mother" :D, I'm shooting for "marmee" from Little Women because I don't like grandma, mimi, or nana. I'm very serious about this! :001_smile:

Faith

It could also be cultural. My mom asked to go by Noni because her family is Italian and that's what she called her favorite grandmother and my dad goes by Papito because that's what he called his grandfather. I've always called my own grandparents (the Italian ones) Grandma and Grandpa and my dad's mom was Abuela (which is Spanish for grandma). DH's family is Arabic so his parents go by Sitti and Sidi. We have lots of names going on in our family. :) I guess DH is right- we just can't make things simple around here. :lol:

OK, so why I'm Mimi instead of Nana. Well, my d-dil's mom is Nana, and my still living grandmother is also Nana. My mom is Grammie already, Oma didn't feel right.....I could go on.....anyway I gave my son & dil a choice between Gig (my g-grandmother's name) & Mimi. They chose the latter :)

Since dd says that her future children will NOT refer to me as "Oh, exalted mother" :D, I'm shooting for "marmee" from Little Women because I don't like grandma, mimi, or nana. I'm very serious about this! :001_smile:

Faith

That's funny, she just won't go for that one???

I was young (VERY young) when I became a grandmother and, frankly, didn't know what I wanted to be called. First dear grandson fixed that, he just called me "mimi" whenever he started to talk, and it stuck!;) My mom is nana, and my dil's mother is mom-mom. I like Marmee, wish I'd thought of it;)

I'll be happy to be called "Granny" or "Grandma." Both of our moms died young; only my husband's mother met any of our children and she passed away shortly after our oldest's first birthday. If I'm still around when my grandchildren are old enough to actually call me something, I'll be happy.

I agree that many kids have a passel of grandparents who need to be differentiated. (We have a Grandpa Hat.) And there are lots of names from various cultures!

My own grandmother did not like to be called grandma, just as her own mom didn't like it. They didn't like titles in general; it wasn't an 'old' thing. So we all called them by their first names.

I think it is because many children, due to medical interventions, have several grandmothers alive and so everybody needs a convenient title.

When dd came along, all four of her great-grandmothers were still alive and she was going to be coming into regular contact with them all during her learning to talk years. This gave her six grandmas and many times, three were in the room at once.

So, we had grandma (my mom), granny (dh's mom), grandmere (my paternal grandmother), grandmammy (my maternal grandmother), mimi (dh's paternal grandmother), and nana (dh's maternal grandmother).

Faith

Yep, there was already a grandma, granny, and a Nana, so I'm Mimi (although I really like Oh, exalted mother :001_smile:).

When I was growing up, my grandma was Mimi and my great-grandma was Nanny. I don't think it's a new thing. I think it also varies by culture or family tradition.

We mix it up so that there aren't any of the same name. My dc have a Grandma and a Grammy and a Grampy. I have already claimed Mimi (for sentimental reasons) and dh Papa (because he likes it.) Oldest dd (likely to have dc first) already knows there will be trouble otherwise! :lol:

I have friends who are now grandmothers and they go by Gigi, Cece, Nene, one chose GrandMary (her first name). Whatever happened to grandma, grandmommy, granny or nana? Does it just sound to old for today's 40 something grandmother?

Haha - 40something grandmother? Heavens, I'm almost 50 now, and I'm guessing it'll be another decade or two before I'm a grandmother. Probably won't mind a grandmother title by then - I'll be so excited to have grandkids!

My kids call my mother Oma because that's the traditional German word, and MIL they call Nama because that's what all the grandmothers in their family have been called from way back. I think my brother's MIL goes by Mimi.

It could also be cultural. My mom asked to go by Noni because her family is Italian and that's what she called her favorite grandmother

:iagree:In my Italian-American family grandmas were always Nona (pronounced like Donna). I was so excited to finally be Nona when dss's son was born, and my cousin is going to be Nona in August. Like her mom said, it's our turn now. Dh's family all say Mamaw, which is apparently a southern thing. And then of course there's Meemaw (think Sheldon). I also know a great-grandma who is called Gigi, which is really G.G. for great-grandma. It's to distinguish between the grandma and great-grandma.

I do get what you're saying though. I know quite a few grandmothers who say they don't want to be called grandma because they don't like the idea of being a grandmother. I don't understand it. I love my new role!

Edited by floridamom

I'll be happy to be called "Granny" or "Grandma." Both of our moms died young; only my husband's mother met any of our children and she passed away shortly after our oldest's first birthday. If I'm still around when my grandchildren are old enough to actually call me something, I'll be happy.

Agreed! But I will say that I think that I would hate to be called "grandma" if I became a grandmother at 40-something. :001_huh: I can't even imagine. I had my first at 31 and my second at 34, and I'm hoping that my girls wait to have their kids as well. If it happens that way, I'll definitely be old enough to earn the title of "grandma". :D

I just wish the grandparents wouldn't make a big deal about how they could't stand to be called a certain title. In our case it was grandma who said she couldn't stand grandma or grandmother and that it had to be grandmommy. It really didn't matter to me what she is to be called, but the way it came across was a true dislike of the other terms. I called mine grandmother or grandma (and they bring up lots of happy memories) and it just felt like a slap in the face. I know that this is my problem, but there are so many other problems between us that this just added to it.

My grandma didn't want to be called Busia, which is one Polish name for grandma, because that's what her MIL was called and her MIL was a nasty woman. So she has to live with the fact that my daughter dubbed her Grandma with the White hair (although it's more salt and pepper than white)

My oldest says he wants us all to move to Texas so he can eventually make me a MeeMaw like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory tv show.

More than likely I'm destined to become Grandma Pete, just like my MIL and GMIL (due to a nickname from our last name) My dh called his paternal grandparent Grandma and Grandpa Pete and my kids call my MIL and FIL that (dh's grandma that is still alive goes by G.G. Pete to our kids), so I'm figure dh and I will eventually become Grandma and Grandpa Pete.

We have a MeMe and a Nana. We didn't know what they would be called. We tried out all kind of names for my mom, including grammy, grandma and my oldest was the first grandchild and it came out as MeMe and the name stuck. Now, Nana was clearly chosen by my MIL. She didn't want to be called a grandma in her 40's

My kids call both their grandmas 'grandma' and differentiate them when needed by adding their last name. It's rarely necessary because we usually know by context who they're talking about.

The same with my grandkids- they call me and their other grandma 'grandma' and even call their two great grandmas 'grandma'.

It works for us. My great grandma was always called Oma and it just seemed like a name for an old person. So I never wanted to adopt that.

My mom chose to use Nana because she didn't like the name grandma in her 40s. I could possibly be a grandma in my 40s. I'm 44 right now and my oldest is 20. I'm totally cool with the name and role of grandma. I hope I don't have to wait years and years before becoming a grandma.

I don't want to be "Grandma," or "Granny." :ack2:

I am, however, "Grandmother." That's what we called my mother's mother (didn't know my paternal grandmother).

My hula teacher tried to get her granddaughter to call her "Auntie," which is a term of respect used to address older women, and she thought she'd been successful in getting her to say that...but then her granddaughter called her "Auntie Granny." :lol:

My mom (German) didn't let my brother's kids call her Oma, so she wouldn't let my kids, either. She said it made her feel old. She was fine with grandma, though, I guess since the word grandma wasn't part of her culture growing up.

My mom always said there could only be one Oma in the family (her mom), so she chose grandma.

When I was a kid, my great grandmother and my grandmother were both still alive. I used to have great fun yelling, "Grandma!" when they were both in the room just to giggle when they both turned around to look at me. :tongue_smilie:

I didn't know anyone on the paternal side, including my own father so don't really know what would have gone on there.

My kids call my mom Grandma and my MIL Mamaw (which I agree is a southern thing). I hadn't really thought too much about what I would be called because my kids are still so young, but I like the sound of "Nana" better than "Grandma." I wouldn't be opposed to being called Grandma though, although I really really hope that I don't turn into a Mamaw (although DH will probably want to be called Papaw).

I had the most AMAZING "Grandma Betty" and since I am named after her, that's what I have chosen to be called.

My first grandson switches it for some reason and oftentimes calls me "Betty-Grandma"! It's too cute! He now calls me "grandma" most the time.

I don't mind being called Grandma, since that's what the grandmother's were called in my family. It would be fun to be Noni... I was Mimi when I babysat and the baby wanted to call me mom...

But, I am Grandma!

I just wish the grandparents wouldn't make a big deal about how they could't stand to be called a certain title. In our case it was grandma who said she couldn't stand grandma or grandmother and that it had to be grandmommy. It really didn't matter to me what she is to be called, but the way it came across was a true dislike of the other terms. I called mine grandmother or grandma (and they bring up lots of happy memories) and it just felt like a slap in the face. I know that this is my problem, but there are so many other problems between us that this just added to it.

My MIL wanted to be called Nana and my FIL wanted to be called Poppa. Well, when my son, their first grandchild, could talk it came out Nene and Pop Pop. It stuck and all my kids call them that. My in-laws never refer to themselves as Nene and Pop Pop and it really bothers my kids. Yes, I get it...it is like a slap in the face too. That is what they could say when they were itty bitty and that is what they still call them. When MIL signs a card it is Nana and Poppa and my kids just cringe at it.

Another story...when my nephew was little he could not say grandma and it came out goofy. He is 21 and my mom is still goofy. She embrace it and thinks it is pretty cool.

My brothers and I had 2 grandmas, differentiated by last name (Grandma Jones). My niece and nephew have a Mimi and a Meemaw, which I think is traditional for my sil's family. OTOH, my mil would prefer to be called Grandmother, but I don't know that any of her grandkids do...it just seems kind of weirdly formal to them, I think.

My grandma was a grandma, but I had a Baba too...family tradition on that side. My mom goes by Grandma. My MIL was conflicted (and yes, it was because she didn't want to sound old), but she died before my daughter could talk, so it wasn't an issue. I can't wait to be a grandma someday!

I was single and living with my mom when I gave birth to my oldest son. She was like a second mother to him for the first year of his life, so I'm "mama" and she's "grandmama." I think when I'm a grandmother, I'll be "grandmama" too. Dh's mom is "granny." I could never be a "granny."

My mom (German) didn't let my brother's kids call her Oma, so she wouldn't let my kids, either. She said it made her feel old. She was fine with grandma, though, I guess since the word grandma wasn't part of her culture growing up.

My mom balked at Oma, but finally came around. The alternatives she was coming up with were kind of ridiculous (grandma wasn't any better to her). :tongue_smilie: I called my great-grandmother (her grandmother) Oma. My grandparents were also supposed to be Oma/Opa (and great-grandmother "Big Oma"), but I couldn't pronounce them, so they became Mom-mom and Pop-pop.

I'll be happy to be Oma or Omi someday. :)

My dad's parents were Grandma/Grandpa Lastname, even though there was no need for a distinction. :confused: