Menu

(kind of long)Vent: I have never before been sorry to have invited someone for supper

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rather crazy and have major social phobias along with a child who has food allergies. Even *I* would have behaved better than that AND done backflips over the food.

It sounds like you did everything humanly possible to be a great hostess. One of your guests just chose not to except the gift of your hospitality!

:svengo: Wow. I've met plenty of women like this. I always feel sorry for their husbands and children. Fortunately, I haven't had them in my home and served them a lovely dinner, only to have them crap on the whole affair. Fear not, you were a wonderful hostess and she was a *horrible* guest.

I have absolutely no problem agreeing with you, Audrey. She was beyond rude.

Wait. . . I don't agree with you on one thing - you have absolutely no reason to feel like pasture flop. You were beyond courteous and kind in letting her know all the ingredients in detail before the meal.

:iagree: We follow a very strict diet. I think you did great! It is no wonder they are having problems getting to know people. Please don't stop inviting people. I would be so thrilled with an invitation from someone that really cared about our special dietary needs.:grouphug:

Did you check the trash can? She did put the unwanted food on the napkins, so she could dispose of it. Did she throw them away?

OMG!! You're a winner! Thanks for suggesting that! I never would have thought it. They were, indeed, in the bin.

I think I'm going to do a load of laundry now. It'll relax me.

Sorry about your horrible evening, Audrey. :grouphug:

As everyone else has said, she was the one completely in the wrong. I really have to wonder if she doesn't have OCD to an extreme degree or something else that's (obviously) untreated.

I feel for her dh & the sons. I wonder if they even notice her behavior, though.

Wonder what the guy will say to your dh next time they see each other at work?

They were, indeed, in the bin.

Sheesh.

No wonder she doesn't get out of the house often. Sounds like she has no manners whatsoever & why would you toss someone's cloth napkins????

Is there a place that teaches manners in your area? If so, I'd put her email on their 'sign up' list. ;)

I'm absolutely speechless. What nerve.

To put you through all that, the rudeness and ungraciousness, then to waste the food you'd so carefully prepared, and THEN as icing on the cake, offer to "teach" you how to cook?!? I think she was lucky not to have the plate of food dumped over her head.

You sound like a wonderful hostess, I'm so sorry for your evening.

Hmm. Guess I wasn't totally speechless after all... ;)

Sorry about your horrible evening, Audrey. :grouphug:

As everyone else has said, she was the one completely in the wrong. I really have to wonder if she doesn't have OCD to an extreme degree or something else that's (obviously) untreated.

I feel for her dh & the sons. I wonder if they even notice her behavior, though.

Wonder what the guy will say to your dh next time they see each other at work?

Yes. This thought did cross my mind when the email thing first came up, and definitely again during this evening. She did get my radar up. I have OCD, but I'm lucky. I have coping mechanisms and a counselor.

And a little more class than to trot my crazy out in front of other people. :glare:

Edited by Audrey

What in the world?!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I am doubly shocked at the audacity of this woman!!! Good lord I would have NOTHING to do with these people ever again! I am glad that her husband and children were polite at least but geez.....she needs some copies of Emily Post's etiquette books.

I have absolutely no problem agreeing with you, Audrey. She was beyond rude.

Wait. . . I don't agree with you on one thing - you have absolutely no reason to feel like pasture flop. You were beyond courteous and kind in letting her know all the ingredients in detail before the meal.

:iagree:

That was so flamingly rude, it's no wonder they're having a hard time getting to know anyone.

I would have loved it and it sounds like a meal fit for a king.

But it happened tonight. :sad:

There is a new-ish family that moved in to town. They have a boy about my son's age and one just a bit younger. The dad of the family works for the RM, as does my dh part-time. Dh suggested we have them over since the dad had said they were having a hard time getting to know people.

So, I phoned up the mom about a week and a half ago and invited them over, inquiring as to which date would work best for them. As I always do when I invite people over, I asked her "is there anything special you'd like to eat, or anything that you can't eat?" She just asked for my email and said she would get back to me.

So... I wasn't even sure if that was a yes or not. Days go by and no phone call reply or email. We hadn't made a specific date, and I was thinking that the non-response was probably a "no" in disguise. That was sort of okay with me. She doesn't know me. Maybe she's a little shy. That's okay.

But, then I got an email from her on Wednesday saying they'd come on Saturday and with a list of things they can't eat. No dairy, no gluten, no seafood, no brassicas, no nightshades, no artificials colours, etc. etc.

I looked at it and thought "okay... sounds like allergies and maybe a theraputic ADHD diet." No problem. What I'd been thinking of making just needed a couple of substitutes to make it fit the list.

She emailed again this afternoon and asked for the menu. I called her to tell her and she just wanted me to email it. :confused: She didn't even let me tell her on the phone. So, I emailed it -- steaks, from our own beef, grilled veggies (no brassicas, no nightshades), 3-bean salad all from scratch (I listed all the dressing ingredients), a green salad and fruit salad for dessert. She emailed back to say that was okay.

Then they came, and all through the meal she picked at every single morsel on her plate and on the kids' plates and picked out tiny bits that she'd put on their napkin to "throw out later." She asked a million questions about the beef and when dh said they were pastured, she said "oh well, too bad!" and scraped the rest of the meat off her plate and the kids plates into their napkins.

The dad never said a word about anything his wife did. He ate everything. Thanked us for a great meal. The kids were polite and thanked us. She thanked us, then offered to teach me how to cook.

I have never been so embarrassed in my life. I feel like I never want to have another soul over for supper ever again.

FWIW, my dh has already said they're not going to be invited back, but still... I feel like a piece of pasture-flop. :sad:

Umm... and I think this might be a JAWM post, so ya know... if you really don't like me already, could you just save trashing me for another thread? Thanks.

Oh. My. Word. You should just laugh your butt off with a Mike's Hard Lemonade. What an awesome story to retell, "Hey, you remember that crazy broad we had over for dinner?"

These people really exist? I have been living under a rock.

I agree with everyone else - rude! Dinner sounds like it was delicious.

What I wonder is.... often when you invite someone to dinner, they will reciprocate and invite you to dinner. So I wonder if they will, will you accept or not, and will she be equally crazy in her own home.

The poor DH is probably so used to it.

Good heavens, you were gracious beyond belief!!! Miss Manners herself would have slapped this woman silly for her appalling lack of manners. Or at the very least given her a verbal dressing down that would have made her ears burn!

I congratulate you for your amazing self-restraint! Seriously, I'm in awe.

You will all have a good laugh about this soon. It's one of those stories that you'll be able to retell for years. The night Crazy came to dinner. Sheesh...her poor kids and dh.

She packed them all up to go as soon as we were done eating.

I also just noticed I can't find all my napkins. :confused:

Mystery solved! She has the same napkins, which are no longer available, and wants a few more place settings. The picking apart the meal and putting them in the napkins was all just a way to distract you from the missing napkins. :tongue_smilie:

I'll bet it was all absolutely delicious - as evidenced by her husband's enjoyment of the meal - and she's just rude ... and nuts. And a clepto!!!

Feel better? :001_smile:

That is *insane*! I would have felt privileged to eat steaks from your personal cows! We have no cows, but whenever we have had anyone over for typical cookout: steaks, crash potatoes, corn on the cob, salad, etc, they have always seemed extremely grateful and happy and NOMNOMNOMed it all. Offering to teach someone who has just fed you a lovely dinner is EXCEPTIONALLY rude! :grouphug:

Good heavens, you were gracious beyond belief!!! Miss Manners herself would have slapped this woman silly for her appalling lack of manners. Or at the very least given her a verbal dressing down that would have made her ears burn!

I congratulate you for your amazing self-restraint! Seriously, I'm in awe.

You will all have a good laugh about this soon. It's one of those stories that you'll be able to retell for years. The night Crazy came to dinner. Sheesh...her poor kids and dh.

:iagree::iagree:

The night Crazy came to Dinner is so appropriate!!

And Audrey, if she does reciprocate PLEASE go and act pagan-y crazy. Make sure whatever she serves you was planted in conjunction with the moon cycles and watered only by the Goddess, not a darn hose.

And P.S. Could you pasture me a buffalo? :D

I would have looked around for hidden cameras. It sounds like someone was taping a Punked or Candid Camera episode. Calling that woman rude is an insult to loud-mouthed jerks everywhere. She was clearly in a league of her own as far as deplorable manners.

I would have killed to have a bite of that steak. I cannot even imagine how delicious it must have been...:drool5::drool5::drool5:

She is the type of guest for which the phrase, "Don't let the door hit you in the a-- on the way out!" was invented.

Good Riddance!

Wow! Just wow!! You were way beyond amazing and she was...well...bizarre!! I hope you don't mind but I'm going to have repeat that story when I next have a "So I read on my board today..." conversation with my husband. That's truly priceless. I'm so terribly sorry it happened to you but you'll get so much use out of the story in your family in the future. ;)

:iagree: We follow a very strict diet. I think you did great! It is no wonder they are having problems getting to know people. Please don't stop inviting people. I would be so thrilled with an invitation from someone that really cared about our special dietary needs.:grouphug:

:iagree: You did great. Really.

WOWZIE!

She was beyond rude.

We have some severe food allergies in our family and we would have never behaved that way.

EVER.

As a mother that struggles with what to feed my own family, you went way above and beyond and I would be humbled and thankful to have a friend willing to offer ingredient lists!

Gracious... no wonder they are having trouble meeting people!

:iagree::iagree:

The night Crazy came to Dinner is so appropriate!!

And Audrey, if she does reciprocate PLEASE go and act pagan-y crazy. Make sure whatever she serves you was planted in conjunction with the moon cycles and watered only by the Goddess, not a darn hose.

And P.S. Could you pasture me a buffalo? :D

Oh I would LOVE to have buffalo! But, we really don't have the room it needs. Ours is mostly cropland with a little bitty pasture, hence the little bitty "herd."

I'm not sure I could bring myself to accept an invite from her, but if I do, I will be sure to put on my extra-special-super-crazy witch's hat. ;) But for now, I'm going to bed. My laundry's in the dryer and I'm done.

Wait a sec. Someone behaved like that and you feel like pasture flop? Who are you and what've you done with my friend Audrey?!;)

She just kicked me in the guts with that parting comment, Colleen. Believe me... I'm plenty ticked off now, and I'll probably see some humour in it tomorrow.

For now... I really have to get to bed like I said I would. Tomorrow's another day...

for plotting paybacks. ;)

Honey, she is way past me on the crazy train and living up in MONK's neighborhood somewhere. Just consider this excellent fodder for crazy stories over a drinks sometime. You were a perfectly gracious host and way politer than I would have been. I am just crazy enough to say, "Oh, please do tell" in response to her odd behavior.

no wonder they have problem to know people...

That's what I was thinking.

Audrey don't worry about crazies, I am sure your meal was lovely. Too bad she didn't choke on that meat the ungrateful...well I was going to say witch but that wouldn't sound right lol (though I meant the ugly warty kind)

Edited by swellmomma
hmm that n't changes the whole meaning now doesn't it