Menu

s/o How often do *you* cry?

How often do you cry?  

1. 1. How often do you cry?

• All the time.
    • Often.
    • Rarely.
    • Never.

I try very hard to not do it in front of others, but I do cry alone fairly often. Sad/happy/touching movies, books, theatre, dance, and even stirring music (with or without lyrics) can make me cry. I'm not just reacting to the actual medium--my heart is making connections with personal experiences and true stories I've heard. Sometimes the nature of the world just feels overwhelming to me. Mind you, sometimes I seek, on purpose, a good cleansing cry.

I used to cry often. Now I cry rarely. Years of child raising, marriage, and life experience have taught me what is worth crying about and what isn't. :001_smile: I laugh a lot more, but cry less. :D

I do get misty-eyed at times - sad movies or books, baptisms, weddings, funerals - but I don't count that because no tears fall.

I rarely cry, or even tear up. Sometimes I wonder if I have a heart of stone. ;) I hurt deeply, I feel sadness, but no tears come. Frustration is the only thing that turns on the waterworks, and that has become even more rare as the years go by and I feel frustration less often.

I used to cry often. Now I cry rarely. Years of child raising, marriage, and life experience have taught me what is worth crying about and what isn't. :001_smile: I laugh a lot more, but cry less. :D

I do get misty-eyed at times - sad movies or books, baptisms, weddings, funerals - but I don't count that because no tears fall.

I am just the opposite....now I have more life stories to cry about. LOL

For real reasons seldom. For stories, movies, songs etc all the time. I am an emotional person, so when I hear a touching story, or I talk about ds8's accident I get teary eyed, not necessarily a full cry. When it comes to real situations in my life I don't tend to cry much over them, I get angry and ready to fight before I cry over something.

I voted rarely. I've never been one to cry. Probably because I'm not a very emotional person. As I've gotten older, I've noticed a tendency to want to cry or times when I might shed a few tears.

There was a period in my life a few years ago that we went through some very difficult things with our business and finances. I was probably depressed and didn't know it, but at that time, I found myself crying more than I ever had in my life.

I rarely cry, or even tear up. Sometimes I wonder if I have a heart of stone. ;) I hurt deeply, I feel sadness, but no tears come. Frustration is the only thing that turns on the waterworks, and that has become even more rare as the years go by and I feel frustration less often.

See me too! My kids tease me about being Vulcan (with a smattering of Klingon)! I feel emotion.. sheesh... I just don't get all weepy. I have better things to do :tongue_smilie:.

See me too! My kids tease me about being Vulcan (with a smattering of Klingon)! I feel emotion.. sheesh... I just don't get all weepy. I have better things to do :tongue_smilie:.

Sheesh... you think us emotional types *chose* to be the way we are? We sometimes have better things to do, too! :tongue_smilie:

Sad/happy/touching movies, books, theatre, dance, and even stirring music (with or without lyrics) can make me cry. I'm not just reacting to the actual medium--my heart is making connections with personal experiences and true stories I've heard. Sometimes the nature of the world just feels overwhelming to me. Mind you, sometimes I seek, on purpose, a good cleansing cry.

:iagree: Wow, you did a great job of articulating why I cry! I am not sure I would have been able to voice it that way myself on the fly.

I voted often, but it definitely fluctuates.

You know, I answered that I cry "often," but as I think about it, I have realized that I *feel like crying* often, but that I rarely actually cry anymore. I think it's because I know that seeing me cry distresses the kidlets, so I've learned to save it for what is really worth all of that.

Hmm, that's a tough one. I usually cry from frustration , but even then I do it alone. I've always been the one to keep a stiff upper lip. I too think I'm part Vulcan. LOL I have a pointy ear to prove it. LOL But then even Vulcans have emotions.

I fine myself feeling like I want to cry a lot lately, but can't. Its because my youngest will be facing a very long surgery in May and I'm not wanting to get back on that roller coaster ride.

I try very hard to not do it in front of others, but I do cry alone fairly often. Sad/happy/touching movies, books, theatre, dance, and even stirring music (with or without lyrics) can make me cry. I'm not just reacting to the actual medium--my heart is making connections with personal experiences and true stories I've heard. Sometimes the nature of the world just feels overwhelming to me. Mind you, sometimes I seek, on purpose, a good cleansing cry.

:iagree:

You said it.

Music kills me, I'm telling you.

Not very often, except if I'm brainstorming an emotional scene. (I'm a writer. I cry for my characters way more often than I cry in real life. It's actually how I know when I've nailed that kind of scene.)

In real life, I cry when very angry or in extreme physical pain. I don't really cry over loss/sadness or happiness/joy, and definitely not over movies.

I am a very tender-hearted person and I cry a lot. I cry reading posts on here about people sad and grieving. I cry watching movies. I bawled about Rue in The Hunger Games and I knew it was coming. I cry over the news. I cried through Sarah's Key. I tear up in church on a regular basis.

I'm a total peach. :tongue_smilie:

I am somewhere between rarely and often. I get choked up a lot and my eyes will water but full out crying is probably rare. Happy movies, sad movies, happy kids, sad kids, a sappy tv commercial can do me in. Extreme frustration will make me cry, too. Which was just awful when I was working. Nothing says unable to do the job like red in the face, weepy woman.

I cried as soon as Titanic started. I saw the movie before. Just the thought of what was coming made me cry. I literally cried the entire time. My throat hurt for the rest of the day. I should not have gone to that movie.

Together I guess we would be a fruit salad. :D

:lol: I remember when the movie came out 20 years ago, a couple I knew had gone to see it and the woman, recounting the movie, teared up and said, "OMG, it was SO sad!" Her mate looked at her and said, "Well, duh. It's a movie about a ship that goes down! How else did you think it could be?" :lol:

When I was a little kid, one book we had to read for English was Lassie, Come Home. That book just about did me in! I cried over every page! I didn't know how I could possibly finish this book and do the assignment! I can still just about access my feelings as Lassie fell down a ravine. :crying: I need an icon that pours buckets.

Very very rarely. The last time I cried was about a month or two ago when my old college roommate (a very dear friend) told me that her husband of 20+ years was leaving her. And she just had a baby in December. My heart just ached for her. I cried. But, I don't do it much!

I cried as soon as Titanic started. I saw the movie before. Just the thought of what was coming made me cry. I literally cried the entire time. My throat hurt for the rest of the day. I should not have gone to that movie.

Together I guess we would be a fruit salad. :D

See, now I didn't even bother seeing it-I knew how it was going to end and I knew I'd be ugly crying before it was over.

:iagree: This is a good description for me as well. In fact, I purposefully avoid things that I know will set me off. Sometimes my daughters feel things out for me. For example, dd19 wouldn't let me go see Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon because she knew thy would make me cry. Dd14 didn't want me to read Hunger Games but I did anyway. It was okay, but I'm listening to both of their advice about not reading the next two. I cry for any intense emotion whether happy or sad. In fact, I can think about something I find incredibly sad or romantic and start crying at the drop of a hat! I cry during commercials even. :)

I cry everytime I think about oldest ds and dil living so far away that I'd have to drive for 26 hours if I want to see them and I can't even fly into where they are and they are going to have a baby and I'll be that grandma who lives so far away that she's just a name and presents.

Did I just type that???

At least once a month - probably more often. I am often moved to tears at Mass, when I am praying for my children (and for anyone who is suffering), during sappy commercials, etc. But I cry every month in the shower. Every single month, I forget that there is a cyclical reason for feeling my life is terrible. A few days later (usually at Mass on Sunday), I figure out why I was crying and ask for forgiveness for my lack of gratitude and joyfulness.

Every single month, I forget that there is a cyclical reason for feeling my life is terrible. A few days later (usually at Mass on Sunday), I figure out why I was crying and ask for forgiveness for my lack of gratitude and joyfulness.

:iagree: I thought I was the only one that got hormone amnesia. It never occurs to me that I hate my life around the same day/days each month :lol: (And I actually have a pretty decent life all things considered!)

I cry often. Touching movies and sappy commercials make me cry. Sweet comments from my kids or DH can make me tear up. I cry when I'm especially frustrated or angry.

I don't mind it so much now, but it used to frustrate me quite a bit when I was still working in the corporate world. There were a couple times over the years when I found myself in some very heated business meetings where I got extremely frustrated or angry, and had to fight back the tears. In the workplace, tears are unfortunately viewed as weakness - although I really don't agree with that viewpoint. I worked hard to keep my emotions in check at work, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just the way I'm wired. Some people yell when they're angry, others clam up - I cry. Now that I work for myself, I don't run into situations that frustrate me to that degree - and my kids don't mind when mommy cries. :)

Edited by Dandelion

I voted often. I'm a sensitive sort. Books, movies, sometimes news reports even. If I'm emotionally overwhelmed, it manifests with tears whether it be because I'm happy, sad, really angry, etc.

:iagree: Except I voted 'all the time.' I've always been a cryer, but in the last few years I went from "holding myself together more than I used to" to crying all the time over everything. So much is out of frustration; the last few years have been hard and I've been powerless to do anything about it. So besides the books, movies, songs, random arguments with dh, I tear up when anything goes wrong. It's like every little thing is the straw that broke the camels back. Welcome to my midlife crisis! :lol:

I don't. If I cry once a year that is a lot.

I often wonder if something is wrong with me because I just don't get the urge to cry. Even at sappy movies.

I used to be in the "I never cry" camp. And, I also used to think there was something the matter with me... because I didn't have emotions. I've always been an even-keel kind of personality (Phlegmatic Temperment they call it). But I used to wonder: would I even cry if one of my kids died?? Yeah, I definitely worried there was an issue.

But.... last November everything changed. I made what I think is a very bad decision. Something I can't change back. I so regret this. I cry all the time. I cry almost everyday now. Yeah, I know people think it's depression. But if it's the result of a stupid decision why should I try to cover it up with medication? I think I should face the music.

I don't. If I cry once a year that is a lot.

I often wonder if something is wrong with me because I just don't get the urge to cry. Even at sappy movies.

I used to be like this...until I had kids. My mom warned me. We used to make fun of her because she cried all the time over sappy movies/commercials. The only times I recall crying pre-kids was when someone died.

Post kids I cry a little more than that--maybe twice a year. But it almost always is due to lack of sleep, stress, wrong time of the month, and then something major setting me off.

I picked Never but it isn't exactly "never"... like never in my whole life? Of course, I have cried but it is so rare that it is more rare than "rarely"...if that makes any sense! How about so rarely that I cannot remember the last time?

OK, now I am thinking... hmmm... actually cry? Like more than just get teary-eyed at something sweet on television? Like REAL crying? It's probably been at least a year but more likely longer than that.

I am not a super emotional person... I am very practical.

I am a very tender-hearted person and I cry a lot. I cry reading posts on here about people sad and grieving. I cry watching movies. I bawled about Rue in The Hunger Games and I knew it was coming. I cry over the news. I cried through Sarah's Key. I tear up in church on a regular basis.

I'm a total peach. :tongue_smilie:

Me too. What's funny about that is that I used to cry very rarely. It flusters my dh to see me cry, because that used to mean that something was really, really wrong. Now I cry sometimes watching sappy commercials, seeing a homeless person walking around downtown, or listening to music. It confuses him. :001_smile:

I voted "often." My tendency to cry at the least provocation is one of the banes of my existence and I have spent most of my life trying to tamp it down. It's such an unprofessional personality trait. I've gotten a lot better over the years, but crying is clearly my psyche's "go-to" place.