Menu

If You Don't Take Snacks to the Movie Theater

I don't bring snacks/drinks from home into the movie theater, AND  

1. 1. I don't bring snacks/drinks from home into the movie theater, AND

• I will take a water bottle, I don't think it's the same
    • A water bottle is the same, you're still violating the rule
    • Obligatory Other!

I'm having a moral dilemma...I don't take snacks from home into the movie theater. HOWEVER, I do take my water bottle, because it doesn't seem the same as snacks or drinks. I mean, I could fill it up in the bathroom sink if I wanted. Water is water, it's a basic necessity of life. I shouldn't have to pay for it unless I want it bottled.

So yesterday DD and I went to see a movie, and I put my water bottle in my purse. I felt the need to conceal it. This made me wonder, am I merely justifying the water bottle as ok, but snacks are not ok?

So my question is....if you don't take snacks or sodas from home into the movie theater, do you feel the same way about a water bottle? Or is it the same thing since they sell bottled water in the theater?

I knew I could ask the hive! Please don't answer if you think it's always ok to take snack or drinks. Not criticizing you, just interested in answers from the same base group as myself!

And, :blushing: my first poll!!

well, there was a huge thread about this perhaps a year ago. people seemed passionately split down the middle. i for one do not take snack into the theater, including water. however, i wouldn't think ill of you for doing it differently. it really lies within your own conscience in my opinion.:)

I always take snacks in and have for years. With my food allergies {and now dd's} getting snacks at the theater isn't an option and there really is nothing safe for us. I've tried several times to get the movies here to offer snacks that are more allergy friendly, but they have declined.

fwiw, I've always had luck getting them in by putting it in a small tote bag style purse and putting feminine care items on top to cover it up. 90% of the time it's guys checking the bags and they won't touch it.

I have reusable water bottles that I fill at home with filtered tap water. I'd feel no moral qualms about taking it to the theater, because they offer tap water for free anyway. I guess if they made a stink, I could pour out my water and then refill it at the drinking fountain. I would feel uncomfortable taking a store-bought bottle of water, like what they sell at concessions.

my .02

The concession stand will give you cups of water, with ice. Just ask.:)

Not always. At a theatre by here they give those little tiny cones like you get with sno-cones. And you have to fill it in the water fountain in the hall. I am such a water hog, I'd never get to see the movie! At least our tiny local theatre sells cups of water.

I don't bring snacks into my local theatre (minus a sippy for my LO or a safe food for her) because the prices are reasonable and they let you buy water. But if I'm already paying $10 to get in and they won't let me have water, then I'll bring my Thermos in. I think that's ridiculous policy not to sell cups of water.

Edited by mommymilkies

I have reusable water bottles that I fill at home with filtered tap water. I'd feel no moral qualms about taking it to the theater, because they offer tap water for free anyway. I guess if they made a stink, I could pour out my water and then refill it at the drinking fountain. I would feel uncomfortable taking a store-bought bottle of water, like what they sell at concessions.

my .02

:iagree: I took my Kleen Kanteen to Huger Games and felt no guilt, even when I refilled it at the drinking fountain in front of the concessions stand. :tongue_smilie:

I voted that I buy the water there (and I do), but I don't know if it's because of the rule. :001_huh:

I know most of their money is made on concessions, and it is a posted rule, so.....I do not conceal anything I bring in. I think it sends a bad message to *my* kids. Mine would see me do that and run with it. (but I've honestly never thought one way or another of someone else doing it...I've never noticed.)

We stop by the gas station next door and they each get a lollipop and they each carry it in in their hand. If they wanted to stop us I would totally either throw it away or take it to the car. Since they don't sell something that small, I don't think they will ever stop me.

But they don't get their own water! It expensive! Plus I hate going to the bathroom during a movie. 2 hours will not dehydrate them. But I'm the same mom who doesn't allow much drinking on road trips too. :lol:

I am capable of going two hours without food or drink if I choose not to pay for expensive movie water. I'm superhuman that way.

:iagree:

I do sometimes pay the extortionist prices for a soda, but then I pay for it with bathroom breaks. :lol: Easier just to wait and have a drink afterward.

I don't take water in and wouldn't unless there was a fountain to fill it with or they didn't sell water but instead gave it free. At our local theater you can get a cup of water free upon request so I don't think it really matters if you bring it or use their cup. I don't take water in for the same reason I don't drink soda at the theater: I don't want to have to pee by the middle of the movie!

I am one that thinks if you have to sneak it in, it's wrong. Our theatre has signs about no outside food or drink. I don't recall seeing a water fountain and I know they sell water bottles.

Anyway, I voted that I wouldn't take my own water bottle. If I felt confident enough to carry it in plain sight and there were water fountains, it would be different.

I worked in a movie theater in high school. We did not prohibit people from entering with food. It was frowned upon but not something we actively prevented. People brought hot pizzas sometimes!

I always take snacks and water. I have no issue with it. I pay for the movie and have no guilt over this.

Hmmm...apparently the bathroom concern trumps the morality concern!:001_smile:

We could go 2 hours without anything, but DD usually gets something for snack. If we have a snack we always have to have water, because I am one of those who can't eat without drinking (I know it's supposed to be bad!) So, we do buy SOMETHING at the concession, but since we don't drink soda I can't justify paying $3 for a bottled water when it is normal for me to take my water bottle everywhere anyway. I feel less trouble-making bringing my water bottle than asking for a cup. A theater we used to go to in "the big city" charged for cups of water. :glare:

Maybe I should ask the theater owner, then I would know for sure. Ah, the qualms of conscience....Thanks for the responses everyone! I was afraid I might post a poll and no one answer - like having a party and no one coming!

^^ What Kungfupanda said. If I don't want to pay for what they offer, I'm capable of waiting 2 hours.

Ditto. I also don't want my kids to think they need to eat/drink whenever they watch a movie. DH feels like he HAS to have popcorn at the theater, which of course means a drink, which of course leads to a $50 concession charge if we all go. Usually, I make everyone skip the whole thing. If it's a special night we'll go out to eat afterwards. I don't pay full price for a movie either.

Laura

I'm actually not capable of going that long! I don't know if it's a breastfeeding thing, but I go through my 18oz. Thermos at least once an hour. Seriously. I feel like I can't breathe if I have to go longer than that. And I love popcorn, but can't drink without it. Pop gives me horrible horrible digestive pain. So I have to have actual water.

Ditto. I also don't want my kids to think they need to eat/drink whenever they watch a movie. DH feels like he HAS to have popcorn at the theater, which of course means a drink, which of course leads to a $50 concession charge if we all go. Usually, I make everyone skip the whole thing. If it's a special night we'll go out to eat afterwards. I don't pay full price for a movie either.

Laura

:iagree: For our family, movies are so stinking expensive. If we added snacks on top of it, we'd be in for a $70 outing for a MOVIE. Ugh. It's not worth it. I guess I see it like this - the movie theater is TOTALLY ripping people off for the food. So, I wouldn't feel guilty about bringing in my own snacks, if I felt they were necessary. We do bring in water bottles (I don't hide them). But, usually I figure we can wait until after the movie to get food. (Or come home and eat!)

ETA - if the theater actually had a sign that said no outside food, I wouldn't bring it in. I'd leave it in the car and eat it afterward. If there's no sign, I'd not have a problem with it.

my .02

For me, if I just go to the movies while I'm out, I'll probably just have my water bottle anyway. It's in my bag nearly always. I may not even drink out of it - I can go the whole movie without it.

I'm not usually all that vocal or necessarily environmentally perfect myself, but I have a big problem with places that don't allow reusable water bottles in general from an environmental standpoint. I feel like it's downright irresponsible to force people to waste all that plastic (and fuel to ship the water) if they need water. Other outside food is totally different though.

We almost never go to the theater and I don't usually need food, but I always have water in my purse and feel no guilt over bringing healthy safe snacking options in case someone gets hungry. I wouldn't be sneaky about it and I've never heard of theaters checking bags. I've got nothing to hide, my kids have allergies and I have food sensitivities. I being separate food for my severely allergic youngest son to many restaurants, I just openly declare it when we arrive, no one has ever had a problem with it, if they did we would eat elsewhere. I personally don't have a problem with people packing snacks within reason to a theater, the theaters usually only have overpriced junk food and with the food restrictions and allergies that people have today their snack bars just do not cater to everyone.

I bring my water bottle to the theater every time, and I'm often drinking from it and holding it in my hand on the way in. During a 2 hour movie SOMEONE needs a sip of water or two, and it's often me. I have low blood pressure and feel better well hydrated. And if staff approached me about it, I would tell them. At least local to us, more and more people carry water bottles with them when they're out. Not unusual at all.

People have not always felt the need to carry water with them when they're only going to be gone for a few hours and they're close to home. If they're thirsty at a movie theater, they can get a drink from the water fountain (there's usually a water fountain somewhere) in the lobby before entering the theater.

If you have to hide it, then you shouldn't be doing it.

I have brought an empty bottle before (once) and filled it in the bathroom, but our family's policy is not to sneak food or drink in. I do not think the same way for babies and toddlers, though. I have no problem taking in puffs for my one year old. If the rest of us want food or drink we either pay or wait. Since movies for us are a rare treat either through free summer movies or second runs we usually splurge on concession.

I voted other.

If I'm buying snacks, I buy water also.

If I have no plans to buy a snack, I wouldn't see a problem bringing in my own water.

I don't drink much during movies because water goes right through me and I don't care for soda or tea. I have bad timing, and always seem to miss the good parts, so I usually abstain during the actual movie LOL. But I carry a ridiculously large purse and it almost always has a half-consumed water bottle (or three!) so I'd probably bring it in without thinking about it. And then drink from it without really thinking about it.

But I wouldn't intentionally bring in water, I don't think, if I had to pause and think about it. If it felt off, I'd err on the side of doing what felt right. But I'm also superstituous and would worry about karmic repurcussions LOL. And having taught my Catholic children about knowledge and intentionally doing wrong/sin, I'd feel guilty. And I'm not even Catholic myself LOL.

I've walked right in holding my water bottle. I don't think they care. No one's ever said anything.

:iagree:. Of course, I've seen people waltz in with a Chipotle's bag also so it's possible that the theater near me just doesn't care.

Most of the theaters have a posted sign about outside food and drink. We taken in snacks once. But it made me feel like I was cheating and didn't like modeling that for ds.

We go to the movies about every six months so it's usually an event, popcorn and sodas. Otherwise we just do without snacks.

If they have a posted sign, I wouldn't take it in. Beside water would have me up in the middle of the movie. Soda doesn't go through me so fast.

If you have to hide it, then you shouldn't be doing it.

Who says we're hiding it? When I went to The Hunger Games, I was drinking from my metal water bottle while I stood in line to order popcorn. Then I filled it up at the fountain. All in plain sight.

Then again, I live in a very liberal area. I can't imagine that anyone would tell you not to bring in a reusable bottle. I mean, everywhere around here has a bag tax we're so liberal. There are explicit exceptions to this rule for water at virtually all the "no outside food" places around here, including amusement parks, sports arenas, etc. I think people should assume that carrying your own tap water is fine unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Also, it's hilarious that this apparently leads to the same strong feelings at the movie theater snacks issue. :D

The concession stand will give you cups of water, with ice. Just ask.:)

Not here. Here you get a tiny 4oz cup to get water from the fountain. If you want more than that, you have to pay for bottled water.

When I went to the Hunger Games, I paid $5.25 for a cup of ice water from the tap (wanted the ice) which was the same price as the larger bottled water.

When I was pregnant, I got a doctor's note to allow me to bring snacks and water. I couldn't go two hours without eating because my blood sugar dropped too quickly.

Who says we're hiding it? When I went to The Hunger Games, I was drinking from my metal water bottle while I stood in line to order popcorn. Then I filled it up at the fountain. All in plain sight.

Then again, I live in a very liberal area. I can't imagine that anyone would tell you not to bring in a reusable bottle. I mean, everywhere around here has a bag tax we're so liberal. There are explicit exceptions to this rule for water at virtually all the "no outside food" places around here, including amusement parks, sports arenas, etc. I think people should assume that carrying your own tap water is fine unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Also, it's hilarious that this apparently leads to the same strong feelings at the movie theater snacks issue. :D

:iagree: This is where we live too. I can't imagine anyone saying anything about people carrying a water bottle. It's just what people do where I am. I'm also ROFL at how this might feel like "cheating" the system. I guess this varies widely depending on where you are.

Personally with food allergies and sensitives, if people need to carry snacks for their kids I don't have a problem with that either. We always go for the big popcorn though! :D

I have moral issues about paying $4 for a bottle of water, so for me bringing in my own bottle is standard. I don't like the idea of throwing away the plastic bottle and I don't agree with many standards set by the bottling industry.

Now if this question was about Coke or something, my answer would be different. :)

I am capable of going two hours without food or drink if I choose not to pay for expensive movie water. I'm superhuman that way.

:iagree: I rarely carry water or any other beverage, unless my morning coffee is not gone.:D If I wanted to carry in a water bottle I would just carry it in plain sight and figure if they really didn't want me to they would say something.:)

Our local theaters are very lax on water bottles. I think it's simply because we live in the desert. Everyone I know carries one and we never leave home without it. Most convience stores will let you fill it up if you ask, as will restaurants. I bring in my bottle when I go to see a movie. They never have said anything and I carry it in my hand. FWIW, most places here that say no outside food/beverage exempt water bottles, including museums, libraries, etc.

I guess you'd have to live in the desert to understand. Thankfully, most businesses do.

I would take a water bottle without thinking twice, but not bottled water. However, the theatres we usually go to have water available at no charge and palatable food. :001_smile: