Menu

Toddler holds stuffed animal in store... are you obligated to buy it?

Here's the scenario. You're in Hallmark. Your toddler is in the stroller and, unbeknownst to you, grabs a stuffed bear off a low rack. He is holding it and sucking his thumb for a few minutes while you choose cards. When you go to pay, the Hallmark employee wants you to buy it.

He did not put it in his mouth. He is not sick. There is no moisture or any other visible signs of wear on this bear. He held it for maybe 5 minutes.

Are you obligated to buy it? Do you feel badly for not doing so, if you don't?

(Yes, this happened today. I did not buy it. I think the woman wanted to have me arrested.)

Here's the scenario. You're in Hallmark. Your toddler is in the stroller and, unbeknownst to you, grabs a stuffed bear off a low rack. He is holding it and sucking his thumb for a few minutes while you choose cards. When you go to pay, the Hallmark employee wants you to buy it.

He did not put it in his mouth. He is not sick. There is no moisture or any other visible signs of wear on this bear. He held it for maybe 5 minutes.

(Yes, this happened today. I did not buy it. I think the woman wanted to have me arrested.)

No, you are not obligated to buy the stuffed animal. You also are not obligated to listen to some wackadoo lay a guilt trip on you over something that is completely absurd. I used to work in a toy store; if we had forced every parent to pay for the stuff thier kids picked up and hauled around the store we'd have been sold out of plush toys on a regular basis.

I would LOVE to see the look on a cop's face when the store lady said,"And then the baby in the stroller grabbed the toy and then the mom didn't buy it!" While the cop looks like this: :001_huh: and says, "and then what happened?"

"Well, that's when I called you! Book her, Danno!" :lol:

Then OP, with her renegade toddler coulda been all:

:auto:

I would LOVE to see the look on a cop's face when the store lady said,"And then the baby in the stroller grabbed the toy and then the mom didn't buy it!" While the cop looks like this: :001_huh: and says, "and then what happened?"

:lol:

Are you serious? :confused: How come?

I was a somewhat clumsy child. I accidentally broke at least 3-4 things in the store as a child. We always told an employee, but were never asked to pay for an item. My dad never insisted either. I worked retail for years, I don't think we ever pushed someone to pay for an item. I never encountered intentional breakage, most of the time it was an item stocked in an improper manner.

I would not have purchased the animal either. She probably doesn't have kids or has forgotten what having a toddler was like.

The PP is right. Items broken, either intentionally or accidentally, are absorbed into the cost of running the business. Items are often categorized as "damaged," and may be returned to the distributor for reimbursement (if it can be determined that it is the fault of the manufacturer), or fall into "casualty loss" in the overhead (or something similar.). It's nice for the company if you purchase something, but if you knock it off a shelf and it breaks, you don't have to.

The PP is right. Items broken, either intentionally or accidentally, are absorbed into the cost of running the business. Items are often categorized as "damaged," and may be returned to the distributor for reimbursement (if it can be determined that it is the fault of the manufacturer), or fall into "casualty loss" in the overhead (or something similar.). It's nice for the company if you purchase something, but if you knock it off a shelf and it breaks, you don't have to.

First time I hear about it. Totally surprised now. It makes sense from the business standpoint, but I never thought there was no actual obligation to pay, regardless.

I always thought that if people are told they do not have to pay, it was the company being nice to them, rather than a real absence of a duty to pay - I thought that the default situation was that you were responsible for the items you broke, even if accidentally.

Is it like this everywhere or only at some places?

I always thought that if people are told they do not have to pay, it was the company being nice to them, rather than a real absence of a duty to pay - I thought that the default situation was that you were responsible for the items you broke, even if accidentally.

Yes, that's the way it is.

Is it like this everywhere or only at some places?

I have worked several retail jobs over the years and we never made anyone pay - but because it was the nice thing to do.

I do shop at a British import store and they have signs all around their breakable tea pots/cups that say you will be required to pay for broken items. I honestly think this comes across as rude, especially when the store is cramped. I still shop there, but do avoid that area.

My sister worked in a large chain store years ago that made both employees and customers pay for broken items. She didn't stay there long because she found that the employees were even responsible if they opened up new boxes and things were broken in shipment. That, to me, is tacky.

All that to say - in my experience, it isn't a uniform policy.

My sister worked in a large chain store years ago that made both employees and customers pay for broken items. She didn't stay there long because she found that the employees were even responsible if they opened up new boxes and things were broken in shipment. That, to me, is tacky.

All that to say - in my experience, it isn't a uniform policy.

I worked retail years ago, and that is bizarre! We had MANY items come broken, we always called the company with the SKU number and were either given a credit for the item or had it re-shipped (typically they only re-shipped an item if it was a larger item we'd only bought one of, some companies gave us a choice, most just issued a credit on our bill.) WHY would you take it out on an emplyee, and run them off, rather than just have the company who sent it to you absorb it??!

i would love to see the look on a cop's face when the store lady said,"and then the baby in the stroller grabbed the toy and then the mom didn't buy it!" while the cop looks like this: :001_huh: And says, "and then what happened?"

"well, that's when i called you! Book her, danno!" :lol:

Then op, with her renegade toddler coulda been all:

ha! Bahahahaha!

No - not if it was still in perfect condition.

However -if you go into a toy store to buy a birthday present for your neice and your 2yo picks up what he "thinks" is a ball and throws it and it smashes to smithereens on the floor then yes -you should pay the $10.00 for it and be in a bad mood for the rest of the day about it :glare:

I wouldn't buy it. At least you noticed before you walked out of the store without paying. :D

Ummm, yeah, this. One of my dd17s stuffed about 30 small stuffed animals in the stroller in a manner in which they were not obviously visible. I did not notice until we had gone a ways down the mall. (Why they have these things down low at the checkout, I have no idea!) She was about 1. No intent. I took them back...

Unless your kid ruined it I would say no. I would have asked why the woman expected me to buy it as well. I also wouldn't say it is the stores fault because it is not their job to display according to children. It is not the store or it's employees to worry about your child picking something up. When you take a child into a store it is your responsibility.

Blaming it on the store is like my kid breaking something at someones home. I wouldn't dare say to them they should have put it up, it's my job to watch my kid.

Love it. Best laugh I've had all day! :lol:

I know! If it had been me, there would have been a part of me that would have wanted to say, "Yes, why don't you call the cops and we'll see who they think is actually in the wrong here. I dare you!" I mean, what police officer would come in and force you to pay for something just because a kid TOUCHED it? Pul-eeze.

At BB&B my DD knocked a bottle of some kind of cleaner over and it broke and spilled all over the floor. We were all set to pay for it but when we alerted an employee to the mess that needed to be mopped up, he said not to worry about it! We were surprised but hey, I'm not complaining. I always thought you break it, you buy it was the rule.

As for the OP, no way!

No, you do not have to buy it. What do you mean the cashier wanted to have you arrested? What did she say?

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I was joking ~ she didn't really threaten to have me arrested. I meant that, by her demeanor, she thought it was an arrest-worthy crime (to let one's child hold a bear -- which I didn't, on purpose!).

The conversation went like is:

Her: And the bear will be $6.95 since you are also buying three greeting cards.

Me: Oh, I'm sorry (placing perfectly clean and dry bear on counter) -- we aren't buying the bear. He was just holding it, I didn't know he had it.

Her: But he's been sucking on it. He was holding it and it was in his mouth.

Me: (totally flustered) What? No, he hasn't. He's two, he doesn't do that, I promise. He was just holding it. Let me feel it (examining bear all over)... no, see, it's not wet at all.

Her: Fine. (Very curt from this point forward.)

I think by the end of the transaction, she had had some kind of revelation, because on the way out, I said, "who is the manager of this store?" and she (flustered now) responded, "oh, that would be me, which is why I want to apologize profusely." :confused:

It was the strangest interchange. That's why I wanted to ask what the rest of you would think/do! I agree, if he had mouthed it, damaged it, snotted on it, etc. I totally would have bought it. But honestly, it was in pristine condition.

I agree with whomever said she probably doesn't have kids, or doesn't remember what kids are like.

No, you weren't obligated to buy it.

At the same time, I would have. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm in the minority (again :blushing:).

I look at it this way: If I were going to buy a small stuffed animal from a store that's not really child-oriented (like Hallmark), would I want to buy one that someone's kid had put little-kid hands on and held for longer than a second? Not really. Two year olds drool. They put their hands in their mouths. they put their fingers in their noses. I would prefer to have one that was relatively fresher off the shelf.

With that in mind, if my kid that age carried around a stuffed animal for any longer than a literal second or two, just long enough for me to take it away, I'd pay for it, assuming that it wasn't really fair to the customer who came after me to buy one that was less-new.

I'm ok with being the only one though. To each his/her own. :001_smile:

You are not obligated to purchase it, and if the cashier was that rude to me, I'd wouldn't purchase the cards either.

I don't bring my children to Hallmark anymore, as it has been my experience that they do not enjoy having children in their store and it makes me uncomfortable to the point that I don't want to be there or give them my money. If I don't have time to go child-free, I make the cards myself or buy them at Target. And my kids aren't little, they've never broken anything or played with something they shouldn't have, but they are boys and they look at things and speak loudly on occasion. Oh the horror.

No. I don't think you should be obligated to buy it. I hope I wouldn't have been bullied into complying. Glad you weren't.

No, you weren't obligated to buy it.

At the same time, I would have. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm in the minority (again :blushing:).

I look at it this way: If I were going to buy a small stuffed animal from a store that's not really child-oriented (like Hallmark), would I want to buy one that someone's kid had put little-kid hands on and held for longer than a second? Not really. Two year olds drool. They put their hands in their mouths. they put their fingers in their noses. I would prefer to have one that was relatively fresher off the shelf.

With that in mind, if my kid that age carried around a stuffed animal for any longer than a literal second or two, just long enough for me to take it away, I'd pay for it, assuming that it wasn't really fair to the customer who came after me to buy one that was less-new.

I'm ok with being the only one though. To each his/her own. :001_smile:

Like I said up thread, I used to work at a toy store. I would never assume a toy sitting on a store shelf is clean. Just sayin'. :tongue_smilie:

I never would have allowed my toddler to hold the toy in the first place.

:iagree: I never let my 2 year old grab stuff like this. It felt like something we should never start. If we went into a store like this, they'd be strapped in a stroller, holding my hand, or home with dad. :leaving:

:lol::lol::lol: