Menu

How much does your family spend per month on gas?

Currently, $1290 per month.

I commute 5 days per week.

Dh commutes 6 days per week.

I go to church 1 day per week.

He drives a diesel-guzzling truck and I drive a big van. Both are necessary, but not necessary for us to drive everyday. Dh and I work different hours and many times here at the store both vehicles are needed on a regular basis. We tried riding together, but it didn't work well - trying to get 6dc and 2 adults out of the house by 6:30am and returning at 6:30pm was not good for anyone involved. I hope to find a small car with high gas mileage for me (dh would not drive a car.)

We may end up living in an RV here behind our store before too long!

In May, we spent total of $261.63, April was $264.53 so far this month, 122.73 but I've had more running lately, this month will probably be more.

We drive a 1996 dodge grand caravan, and a 1993 Ford F-150 is what dh drives. Most places we go are with in about 5 miles, with 10 miles one way being the most around town.

I did go see my parents, (75 miles 1 way) in May also.

Well we just moved and b4 we moevd dh had to fill up 3 times a week (at the time it was $3.00) a gallon spending $45 each time spending about $600 per month.

Well we moved and dh gets roughly a tank of gas every 7-10 days at $50 for a total of $150. I say we did the right thing. Plus he commute went for almost 3 hours per day to 1 hour.

blessings

lori

Right now, with gas prices going up, I think we'll be paying $160 a month. Last year, we weren't spending more than $100 a month on average! We live a mile away from where dh works and I don't work outside the home. When weather is good, dh rides his bike. I like to go around on my bike too if the kids aren't with me. Well, we DID just go to the library together on our bikes yesterday.

We own a Ford Focus station wagon and an older Toyota Corolla. :) I'm sure the month of July will be much higher as we will be traveling to two different states, twice. :)

I like the fact that we don't HAVE to commute though. One reason we're sticking around this little town instead of moving to a bigger city! :)

We spend about $$200 for me. I don't go anywhere. Dh is self-employed and commutes 40 min one way most days. His gas bill last month was $1290. He purchased a newer truck recently and his gas bill went down :)

We're actually looking at purchasing a 3rd vehicle for me to run errands. Wish we lived in a community where we could ride our bikes or walk.

Teresa in NC

We live 6 miles from town and another 45 min to the city. We only go to the city 2 times a month. I dont work and dh's job is only 6 miles away. Since we have older gas guzzeling vehichles we still spend about 250 a month on gas. Our truck only gets 8 miles to the gallon and the van only gets 20ish. It is killing us as we have NO extra money. Dh bought a bike so he bike in everyday which will help alot.

i remember when we got married 9yrs ago we could drive from Utah to Oregon on 50 bucks! And monthly gas was pretty much the same.

Using current gas prices, $120-$140. DH lives close to work and the girls and I use public transit which is about another $40 a month (neither child has to pay yet).

The minivan takes 2 tanks per month, so $100-$110 monthly.

Dh commute 2 miles daily, sometimes he walks it. His car is filled every other month.

So....maybe $125 total, on average.

The grandparents are 1/2 to 1 tank away, so our costs will double if we are traveling.

I budget for $200 in gas. Hopefully, now that dh is not driving to school four days a week, that number will go down. We both work at the church we go to, which is about 2 miles away. Dh rides his bike to work when he can (ie. when it isn't 100 degrees out!), and I don't really drive far if I can help it.

We are just beginning to track this. I have an new car, no more gas guzzling van. Dh fills up weekly around $60. My van caused me to never drive it...my car takes less and uses less. I'm hoping we can survive our summer activities and keep it too an every other week fill up of under $60. That would average the two vehicles at $350 a month. Wow, in black and white that looks....:w00t::driving:

I don't see myself driving much at that price. I combine errands and look for more to do closer to home.

I used to enjoy :auto: driving....:crying: No more road trips for fun.

We are just beginning to track this. I have an new car, no more gas guzzling van. Dh fills up weekly around $60. My van caused me to never drive it...my car takes less and uses less. I'm hoping we can survive our summer activities and keep it too an every other week fill up of under $60. That would average the two vehicles at $350 a month. Wow, in black and white that looks....:w00t::driving:

I don't see myself driving much at that price. I combine errands and look for more to do closer to home.

I used to enjoy :auto: driving....:crying: No more road trips for fun.

What did you replace your van with? Just curious, b/c dh wants to replace our van with something more fuel efficient.

We were spending about $300/mo. Now that dh traded his car for a Prius, we spend about $150/mo. Whoever is driving the most on any given day 'gets' to drive the Prius.

It's not pretty when you put it on paper: my dh has a long commute in a Ford F150, 6 days a week, so that's around $500 per month for his gas alone. I usually budget $40 per week for my gas, but with the prices going up I'm going to allow more when baseball and dance start back up. So we spend $700 or more per month.

It is nice to see there are a few other folks who spend as much or more. My husband wants to get a motorcycle for his commute, but the idea scares me to death. I can't tell you the number of times he's been nearly run off the road during his commute in his big ole truck! I can't imagine how much worse it would be if he were on a motorcycle.

Now that we're not driving to kid activities, I think we're spending about 200$ a month, maybe 250$ if we have a lot of extra running. Most of the places we need to go are a reasonable distance, and dh only has to drive about 20 min. to work. He drives an older Honda Civic with pretty good gas mileage, so that helps. And I try and combine trips as much as I can. But it still stings. And it's certainly affected our summer and fall plans.

I spend about $240 ($60 per week), IF I don't have to go out of town for anything. Trips out of town completely blow that budget for me. This was before gas hit $4 a gallon, so I don't know what it will be like for me this fall, once we get back into our regular round of activities. I don't even know what my husband spends, but he has a compact car that gets very good gas mileage, so I feel it's not the same as me.

We spend about $550 per month. He spends about $100-$120 on his car (stick/cavalier) for the commute and I put about $50-$100 per month in my van. Which is good when you consider it's a 15 pass. Dodge Ram Van and gets about 8 mi. to the gallon. We go NOWHERE, literally. Even grocery shopping waits 'til the weekend when we can take his car. The one exception is if we go somewhere with all the kids.

We are moving closer. We're actually giving up our home to move closer to dh's work - an hour away. And I'm glad!

I drive a 2003 Hyundai Sonata 6 cyl. I try to go two weeks on one tank. The farthest place I drive is Sam's Club and I think that is like 17 miles away. I go twice a month and fill up at a cost of about $50 to $60. The rest of the time, I am able to stay around town for errands. DH works 3 miles from home, but he is driving an older big pick-up because our ds needs my dh's little Hyundai till he goes in the military. The truck uses more gas, but he still only fills it once a month for about $100. I can't imagine if we had to budget more. I am already trying not to go anywhere and I don't have near the gas bill as some of you. Ugh!

We're about $150 a month. We have one vehicle, a Suburban (ugh), and it cost about $125 the last time we filled the tank. Usually, one full tank gets us through the month, but we have a few more activities in the summer, so it will go up a bit. We live within 4 miles of campus, dh's part time job, town, and church, so most round trips are under 10 miles.

right now it's costing me $70 to fill up my minivan, and I've been mostly stretching it to filling up every week and a half. So say $210 for me. DH is a teacher and just finished school for the summer, so he's not driving his car much at all right now. During the school year, he drives 6 miles (no traffic) to work--maybe fills up every 2-3 weeks? So, all told, somewhere between $300-350, I'd say.

This thread has been interesting to me because I thought that I did a lot of driving--apparently I do not do as much as I thought in terms of gas usage. As a family, we spent roughly $250 a month on fuel through the winter (hockey season when I am driving back and forth to the rink--my husband's commute is 10 miles one way). Because I live a distance from almost everything, I have always combined trips for the sake of time more than anything else. So there are days when I drive and put 100 miles on the car, but then the car sits for two or three days.

We use our bicycles a lot--always have.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the fall with regard to hockey. My son plays recreational, not travel. The travel people were already complaining about the cost of gas and motels. But I wonder if both groups (travel and recreational) will have trouble with numbers. Many people drive 30-45 miles to the rink--I think that sports will be one of the extras first eliminated from budgets, particularly if families have several children playing different sports at different places.

Jane

Around $300 a month. Probably a bit more during the summer as we make regular trips to the fil's 90 miles away, but our primary vehicle is a big dodge truck. Thankfully DH's company provides him with a company truck and gas for any work related driving.

What makes me mad though is that we live in an oil town with a refinery but our gas is still 40 cents higher then the national average per gallon.:mad:

Also for reasons nobody has ever been able to explain adequitely it is trucked to the city 170 miles away before being brought back here and ditributed to the gas stations.:confused:

Around $100-150 for us. My husband rides in a company truck to work. I stay home at least 2 full days a week. We live about 15 minutes from the girls' activities and church. I do commute 36 miles one way to work, but that is only one day/week. I drive a Dodge Caravan.

$400 or so. Dh has a company truck. They pay for his gas. Our gas-guzzling Yukon is our only family vehicle. That, I would trade for an economy car if 1) I didn't have 4 children and 2) I felt that small cars offered the safety of a large SUV. Dh just won't have us in an economy car. It's his thing...we couldn't fit anyway, so it doesn't really matter. ;)

This wasn't about cars but about gas...but to me, right now, I'd give my left arm for a tank of a vehicle that got 40 miles to the gallon. :001_smile:

T

There is not really any way to lower that number either. I have to make at least two round trips to the airport 30 miles away every week. A couple of other trips that far once or twice a month. Everything else I do is within a mile or two of my house. I drive a Town & Country mini-van. It cost $70 to fill it up right now. I get about 330 miles on a tank and I usually put about 18-20 gallons when I fill up so I guess that I get about 18 mpg.

We're probably at about $350 a month - I drive a Camry and DH drives a Corolla. On the days I work, I commute (round-trip) about 70 miles, but fortunately, that's only 3 days a week.

We are discussing changing our road-trip summer vacation plans and sticking closer to home. Especially if gas starts edging close to $5/gal. I paid $3.93 last time I filled up, about a week ago.