Menu

As a guest in someone's home, would you do this?

Odd question, but it's bugging me.

Over the holidays, we had people here a number of times. Each time I would find the toilet paper roll switched around from how I usually hang it. It happened again today. This is at least the fourth time.

Now, I don't know the "right" way to hang it (and wouldn't care if there were a "right" way, as I hang it how I like it) but would you ever switch someone's toilet paper roll around while in their house? This was not to put on a fresh roll.

This has happened with discrete populations :tongue_smilie:

Am I crazy for wanting my toilet paper to stay the way I hang it?? I'm curious about other people's perspectives.

I would NEVER change the direction in someone else's house. But then again, I don't really care how it's hung. Dh has a preference. But not to the point that he'd change it in a place where he's a guest.

Were your guests otherwise laid back? Or were they sticklers about lots of things?

No. I wouldn't. I realize not everyone does things like me, and it's not my job to interfere. Some people, though, have a stronger compulsion to "fix" things that are not "right". If the guests were great, and that's their only infraction, no biggie. But if they started rearranging my furniture or alphabetizing my pantry, I might speak up. :D

Wendi

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have NEVER EVER switched the toilet paper roll in another person's house. I am truly laughing out loud at the thought. My guests would wonder why I was laughing so hard in the bathroom.

Are you sure it isn't a practical joke?

You have made my day. I will be giggling at this thought all day. And I will remember this the next time I visit my sister.

Cat

Did they change the roll or switch it? The most important thing is that there is toilet paper when you are using the facilities. Honestly, most people I know just want to change the roll and they don't think about the direction. They think, "I put on a new roll. I'm done." I wouldn't worry about the direction of the roll.

IMO, the direction of the roll is irrelevant unless it IS relevant, I know; clear as mud.

I my household, right now, I want the paper hanging with the flap touching the wall, so that when our kitten slaps at it, it just rolls around and doesn't leave a pile on the floor (same when I had small children doing the same thing).

Otherwise I guess I don't care. I would, however, be courteous of someone else's house and not change the direction unless I forgot during a roll changeover.

I would NEVER force my will onto another person's household.

If I had a REASON for the roll being the way it is, it would bother me, (I probably wouldn't notice actually). But the ACT of someone doing this would bother me since they would be "saying" I was wrong in their opinion.

Here is another possiblity: how easy is it to accidently get it off? At one relative's house, it comes off when I just pull to get some. ( Now I do pull pretty hard.) So I have to reassemble it. To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue which way it was...as I don't even look. I couldn't tell you how I hang mine up. So is that a possibility??

1) Maybe they have the habit of holding the paper when they unroll it. When I was a kid, we had no toilet paper holder and that's how we did it. So if they do this, they probably don't notice that they are putting it back on the wrong way.

2) If you hang it with the free side away from you, then an enthusiastic tug is going to unravel the roll. (That's why it's the "wrong" way IMO ;).) Then your guests would have to take it off to re-roll it, and then would put it back on the way they are used to.

3) I liked the suggestion that it could be a practical joke.

:lol: I'm also wondering if it is a joke.

When my husband lived in Europe, where his tp holder had a metal flap on top, he finally had to admit that "over the top" was the only Right and True way to route toilet paper rolls.

Maybe you could write notes on the tp with a Sharpie: "Please don't turn me around, it makes me dizzy." :D

Or just for fun, how about this?

cute-toilet-paper-art.jpeg

I might would do it at my dd house if it was on the wrong way but only because I know that she puts it the same way I do and therefore someone else woud have had to put it on the wrong way. I would find it strange if someone just randomly changed it when they weren't changing the roll but on the other hand, I do understand OCD.

1) Maybe they have the habit of holding the paper when they unroll it. When I was a kid, we had no toilet paper holder and that's how we did it. So if they do this, they probably don't notice that they are putting it back on the wrong way.

2) If you hang it with the free side away from you, then an enthusiastic tug is going to unravel the roll. (That's why it's the "wrong" way IMO ;).) Then your guests would have to take it off to re-roll it, and then would put it back on the way they are used to.

3) I liked the suggestion that it could be a practical joke.

Ok.. now I am confused..are you talking about leaving the paper or turning the whole thing so it faces a different way? If you are talking about how your leave the paper??? I'll be honest..I didn't know you could leave the paper different ways... I may leave it a different way if you mean that.. I don't have a clue!!!

What, did Monk visit your home?

I am very particular about my toilet paper, but I would *never* change it at someone else's home. I wouldn't even change it if it were upside down in my kids' bathroom.

Now if they were to leave my toilet lid up, I'd have to go back and fix that, and I'm compulsive about putting the lid down in others' homes too (although I would at least use the toilet before doing that!).

:tongue_smilie:

I am very particular about my toilet paper, but I would *never* change it at someone else's home. I wouldn't even change it if it were upside down in my kids' bathroom.

Now if they were to leave my toilet lid up, I'd have to go back and fix that, and I'm compulsive about putting the lid down in others' homes too (although I would at least use the toilet before doing that!).

:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Same here, even about the kids' bathroom and the toilet lid. In * my* bathroom the tp roll goes one way, but in the dc's bathroom it goes the other way. Both based on user preference. ;) And toilet lids should always be down! :lol:

Alright, I'll admit to having done it. (waits for gasps of horror and head-shaking to cease) :lol:

But only in the downstairs bath of my best friend's house. I spent the night there a lot in my teens, and that bathroom was the "kid" bathroom. I also kept a toothbrush and deodorant there, and it didn't feel any different than home to me.

I have WANTED to change it elsewhere, but have so far always refrained.

It makes me feel very Monkish to think of (much less see!) the toilet paper touching the wall. :001_huh:

But what I find equally "interesting" is that you noticed that.

True! :D

If the OP doesn't know which way it's supposed to be, then it's surprising that she noticed the change at all. Though I'd never switch it in someone else's home, my conclusion is that the person switching it is doing her a favor, as long as they are truly putting it the "right" way. :tongue_smilie: (JK!)

Odd question, but it's bugging me.

Over the holidays, we had people here a number of times. Each time I would find the toilet paper roll switched around from how I usually hang it. It happened again today. This is at least the fourth time.

Now, I don't know the "right" way to hang it (and wouldn't care if there were a "right" way, as I hang it how I like it) but would you ever switch someone's toilet paper roll around while in their house? This was not to put on a fresh roll.

This has happened with discrete populations :tongue_smilie:

Am I crazy for wanting my toilet paper to stay the way I hang it?? I'm curious about other people's perspectives.

I probably would not switch it unless it was giving me problems for some reason.

OTOH I also would not notice if someone else switched it.

Okay, I'll admit it, I change the roll to the right way - but only at my sister's house to tease her. She does the same to me. I also tuck in the sheets at the bottom of the guest bed when I'm making it for her because she'll make a fuss about feeling trapped. In turn, when I visit her house I can expect to have to remake the bed if I want to avoid frozen toes. Silly I guess, but we've been teasing each other and giggling about it for years.

I would never change the roll in anyone else's house though.

When we stay at the IL's house, there is a bathroom that just the four of us use. ILs do not use it. We stay for a week. I rearrange the bathroom to suit our family...take the TP off the roller completely, line the trash with a plastic bag, remove the breakable doodads to a safe spot, and clear other extraneous doodads off the tiny counter and top of toilet tank so we have some surface area available for our stuff. If we were staying a short time in a different family home in a bathroom we were sharing, I would not do this. But for a long stay with a bathroom that only our family is using, yes I do rearrange it. I also do not mind if a guest in our home rearranges the main bathroom to suit their purposes while they are here, as long as I can still run our kids through it when I need to wash them. I can put everything back when the guests are gone.

Ummm..yes, I do that. :leaving:

(The correct way to hang is is with the loose part towards you, so it's easier to grab.)

I also straighten crooked picture frames and cancel out the last 4 seconds on the microwave that some one just couldn't wait for but left on the timer anyway. :glare: I'll also let someone know it their clock is more than 5 minutes off. I'm just a little bit OCD. The frame straitening thing annoys my husband when I do it in public (doctor's office, etc.) but I can't stand it if it's off.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have NEVER EVER switched the toilet paper roll in another person's house. I am truly laughing out loud at the thought. My guests would wonder why I was laughing so hard in the bathroom.

Are you sure it isn't a practical joke?

You have made my day. I will be giggling at this thought all day. And I will remember this the next time I visit my sister.

Cat

It's made my day that I made your day :D

OP here :)

I may twitch each time I go in and see it the 'wrong' way, but I have control enough not to 'fix' it in someone else's home. ;)

That's just weird. :p

That makes perfect sense to me!

Maybe they accidentally bumped it, it fell, and when they replaced it, couldn't remember how it was supposed to go??? I don't know...I like my tp hanging a certain way, too, so I feel ya.

Four different times with four entirely different populations? The holder is easy to change (slip the roll off, turn it over, slip it back on) but you'd have to be pretty vigorous with the tp to make it fall off.

I would notice because I do have a preference, but I wouldn't change it. The only way I might is if I was the only one using that particular bathroom during my stay. And hopefully, I would remember to change it back.

I'd have no problem with that at all. And I wouldn't care if it were changed back or not, but for a visit of a few hours in the common downstairs powder room?

But what I find equally "interesting" is that you noticed that.

I'll freely admit that I like things a certain way :tongue_smilie:

True! :D

If the OP doesn't know which way it's supposed to be, then it's surprising that she noticed the change at all. Though I'd never switch it in someone else's home, my conclusion is that the person switching it is doing her a favor, as long as they are truly putting it the "right" way. :tongue_smilie: (JK!)

The way it's "supposed to be" in my house is the way I like it! (I am deliberately refraining from indicating the direction I like my toilet paper to unroll :tongue_smilie:)

Since it happened so often with multiple guests YOU are clearly the problem.

That is a distinct possibility! :D

And I just multi-quoted for the first time!

It wouldn't really bother me if they did it. It's not a big deal to change it back, I'd just shrug and say "Guess it's important to them."

I think the bigger thing is that I would never even consider changing someone else's tp direction (barring changing the roll, but that hasn't been the case with any of these "violations.")

:lol: I'm also wondering if it is a joke.

When my husband lived in Europe, where his tp holder had a metal flap on top, he finally had to admit that "over the top" was the only Right and True way to route toilet paper rolls.

Maybe you could write notes on the tp with a Sharpie: "Please don't turn me around, it makes me dizzy." :D

Or just for fun, how about this?

cute-toilet-paper-art.jpeg

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: And all this time I've thought it was ridiculously easy to grab the toilet paper regardless of which way you put it on.

Well, if it's against the wall or cupboard, you're more likely to bang your fingers into the wall, or have to scrape against it to get the edge.

My Granny taught me this. She was very insistence about it, and changed other people's tp, too. (Now you know where I got it :D)

Guest submarines
Ummm..yes, I do that. :leaving:

(The correct way to hang is is with the loose part towards you, so it's easier to grab.)

I also straighten crooked picture frames and cancel out the last 4 seconds on the microwave that some one just couldn't wait for but left on the timer anyway. :glare: I'll also let someone know it their clock is more than 5 minutes off. I'm just a little bit OCD. The frame straitening thing annoys my husband when I do it in public (doctor's office, etc.) but I can't stand it if it's off.

The legend (or was it true?) says that when the Germans occupied Paris, the last gift from the residents who'd left their apartments, were crooked picture frames on the walls. :tongue_smilie:(The order loving Germans would straighten the frame, and that triggered explosions.)

Beware! ;) :lol:

I admit I've changed it at close family/friends houses. I have a good friend who it is like a little war between us lol. I switch it to flap over the front. She flips it next time she goes. We have been doing this for years....silly and inane absolutely. I switch it when dh does it because it drives me crazy and he likes seeing me bent out of shape over silly things. I've done it at my aunts house too.

The legend (or was it true?) says that when the Germans occupied Paris, the last gift from the residents who'd left their apartments, were crooked picture frames on the walls. :tongue_smilie:(The order loving Germans would straighten the frame, and that triggered explosions.)

Beware! ;) :lol:

:lol::lol: I one visited a house where 2 whole walls were COVERED in big picture frames, up to the 17 foot ceiling. Not a SINGLE one was straight!

No, never. How strange. With my dd's, I am happy if they actually put the tp on the roll. They usually want me to do it?:glare: They leave the empty roll in the holder and put the new roll on the counter. Actually dh does this too. I guess I am the official tp changer here. What a great job.:tongue_smilie:

That is one of the rudest things I've heard in a while. TP preference is right up there with the major decisions of life, and you have to respect the TP method of the home you are in. People before things. So the feelings of the home owner come before my need to have the TP hand the way *I* want it in someone's else's home.

We have had many guests here, including some pretty... umm.. strong (bossy) personalities, and no one has ever done that to ours. If a roll runs out in someone else's home, I always hang it the way they had it, even if it is wrong. ;)