Menu

Gross or no big deal?

Everyday you feed your pets by grabbing a bowl for each animal (dogs/cats) from the cabinet, filling it with food, letting them eat, and when they're done you put the bowl in the dishwasher. They're always washed with detergent, hot water and a tiny splash of bleach. These are your regular household bowls/dishes. Gross or no big deal at all?

The dog has her own bowls, but I use glass bowls from my cabinets to feed the cats their wet food in the mornings. Those bowls go through the dishwasher, so no big deal.

Now my grandmother used to feed her dog from her castiron skillet :tongue_smilie:. It did not go through the dishwasher of course, but was cleaned and heated up. But that was still gross.

Now my grandmother used to feed her dog from her castiron skillet :tongue_smilie:. It did not go through the dishwasher of course, but was cleaned and heated up. But that was still gross.

My FIL does that, he doesn't even wash it afterwards, just wipes it out with the tea towel and puts it back on the stove for next use.

The in-laws couldn't understand why my children don't really eat much the last time they went to Canada to see them. ( my kids thought it was so disgusting that they hardly ate anything for the whole month)

Edited by melissaL

I wash my dog's bowls in the dishwasher.

OTOH, my mother attempted to put a pair of tongs she had used to pick up a dead vole one of the cats had left on the floor. THAT was gross. Microscopic vole funk forever swirling around in the dishwasher?!?! :ack2: (yes, I realize this is completely irrational)

Everyday you feed your pets by grabbing a bowl for each animal (dogs/cats) from the cabinet, filling it with food, letting them eat, and when they're done you put the bowl in the dishwasher. They're always washed with detergent, hot water and a tiny splash of bleach. These are your regular household bowls/dishes. Gross or no big deal at all?

Gross. Sorry.

Can't imagine company would ever want to know they're eating from the same bowl as the dog either. Ick. (And, yep, we have a dog.)

Kind of gross to me, super gross to dh who would absolutely not allow it. He is a little OCD though. :)

I'm not really grossed out by it. I have given my cats tuna on a saucer before.

Our cats have their food and water bowls though and I've always washed them by hand. I've never even thought to put them in the dishwasher because they are washed and immediately refilled.

I have no tolerance for ick and bleach things in my kitchen as a hobby, and I think it's fine. I actually can't figure out what's wrong with it. Is it because the dog's mouth touched the bowl? I think that's potentially cleaner than, for example, the plate that had raw chicken on it.

Of course, we did testing for biology class this year. The cat's mouth was super clean, as was the toilet. It was the refrigerator door handle that was absolutely disgusting! (It's now bleached daily.)

Anyway, we have dedicated dishes for our two kitties, but I do wash them in the dishwasher with the rest of our dishes a few times a week.

kind of icky for me, but I would be more concerned about using bleach on dishes that I eat from actually.

I work with a woman who uses bleach on everything. She washes her dishes with bleach too; if one of her children forget to add the bleach to the dishes that need to be washed, they have to go back and rewash the dishes with the added bleach.

For me, it's gross. I know it's all in my head and the bowls are actually sanitary, but I wouldn't be able to get the idea that I'm eating after an animal out of my head. We also have a designated throw-up bowl at my house so I guess I am overly conscientious in this area.

We use bathroom trash cans for throw up. :tongue_smilie: Line with plastic bag.

For me, it's gross. I know it's all in my head and the bowls are actually sanitary, but I wouldn't be able to get the idea that I'm eating after an animal out of my head. We also have a designated throw-up bowl at my house so I guess I am overly conscientious in this area.

We use bathroom trash cans for throw up. :tongue_smilie: Line with plastic bag.

Around here we use the mop/cleaning bucket.

*snort* I have no choice in the matter. Dh *always* does this regardless of what I say.

That being said it isn't gross to me. I would just prefer that the dogs have their own dishes. The only reason being because they get left outside because said dh doesn't bring them back in. :glare:

Our pets have their own food bowls, but this would not bother me at all. When the dishs come out of the dishwasher, they are supposed to be clean and sanitized. Like someone else said, it is no worse than raw meat.

As a side note, I am very picky about the "doneness" of my food. I use a meat thermometer regularly.

OTOH, my mother attempted to put a pair of tongs she had used to pick up a dead vole one of the cats had left on the floor. THAT was gross. Microscopic vole funk forever swirling around in the dishwasher?!?! :ack2: (yes, I realize this is completely irrational)

:blink: :eek: :ack2:

It is not gross. My pets have their own bowls that get washed in the dishwasher. We use people plates and bowls for pet food and water, though.

The one thing I will not do is put wet pet food in plastic. Then again I will not put anything tomato based in plastic either. :tongue_smilie:

Huh. I have a low tolerance for gross but this doesn't even blip on my radar.

How about the pie plate or casserole dish and serving spoon you took to a potluck? It had tons of hands on it and sat who knows where during transportation. Picnic stuff? The plate used to defrost raw chicken?

I've got to assume the dishwasher is effective at cleaning gross or I'd be nuts.

Not gross. If the dishwasher can't get dishes that pets use clean, then I'd suspect it wasn't getting anything clean.

Exactly. If you question if your dishwasher can clean up after a dog ate out of it, you have to question every plate you use when company comes over-and when you eat over someone else's house. Because maybe they put their pet dishes through the dishwasher...

No big deal. But I'm gross like that.

:iagree: I'm gross like that too. ;):D

My dogs actually do have their own bowls they eat of of.

I actually can't figure out what's wrong with it. Is it because the dog's mouth touched the bowl? I think that's potentially cleaner than, for example, the plate that had raw chicken on it.

I agree.

Raw chicken freaks me out, I am super vigilant about avoiding cross contamination from raw meat.

My dogs hear the dishwasher door open and they come running to "pre-wash" the dirty dishes lol.. My DH is totally grossed out by this, but the dishwasher sanitizes everything. They have their own bowls on the kitchen floor, but they get put in the dishwasher too.

My dog has her own dishes, and because of her allergies she cannot eat from our plates no matter how much my husband would like to feed her scraps. ;)

I don't think it's a terrible thing.

For those who think it's gross, do you ever wash and reuse a dish that had previously held spoiled food from the depths of the fridge? Raw meat juices? Those things are equally disgusting, in my opinion, and we still eat from those dishes once they are properly cleaned.

I would be concerned about using bleach on the dishes we eat from.