Menu

Are you doing school today?

I am thinking of doing some school today.

We tend to find any excuse we can to not do school and I am trying to break that habit.

We are going on a 12 day vacation in November and tomorrow we have a doctor's appt in the morning, so it isn't like we are all that diligent with a schedule.

Just wondering about anyone else out there.

Dawn

Yes, we are. Dh is off every Sat-Mon, so it doesn't really feel like we are having a holiday. We did 2 bbqs already this weekend. I have been pretty militant this year about doing school every day possible. My hope is that we will have so much of our work finished that I will be able to take days off for nice weather whenever we want. Today is cooler, but wet and humid! Not a day I want to take off of school.

Yep. I sub once or twice a week, so even though I leave work for them to do with Daddy, I pretty much try to make sure we get in every day we can when I'm home. It's gorgeous here today, though (only 63* right now--our lows haven't been out of the 80s for weeks!!), so we'll probably go to the park or something later.

My husband usually works on Labor Day, but his helpers are working instead (they don't need 3 guys bc Mondays are light, and our son needs the money. He's home and did Bible with them. I have a terrible headache but plan to do some school when the pain subsides. We've done a full week, and I'm not ready to break the progress.

Yes, but just the paperwork (grammar, math, puzzles, phonics). No science or geography today, because daddy's taking the kids to the zoo. Which will put us somewhat in a bind, because Monday is one of 2 days that we are home during the week, but we'll get it done.

We're not. DH is home, and it's the last day of summer break for a lot of DS's friends, so they'll likely be coming by during the day (he's got one over right now). We're having a little last-minute birthday party for one of DS's friends, too (we hadn't been planning on it, but his family party which was supposed to be this weekend fell through and we wanted to do something for him), so that will probably keep us occupied.

Yes, to my girls' dismay. ("But Moo-om, it's LABOR day!" )

:lol: I'm going to hear that too! They try it on their birthdays, on Valentine's Day, they even tried it on Flag Day. :001_huh:

We too are trying to break the habit of not doing school. We've shut off all TV and computer games during the week. That has made a huge difference. Now there isn't anything else to do so they may as well do school. This year I've seen a big difference in "doing school" and just incorporating it into our daily lives. We have been very consistent with school for the last month and a half. By consistent I mean we don't do a subject here and there. We have focused only on schoolwork for most of the day--for my oldest two that means from first thing in the morning until around 2 p.m. I'm keeping them to a more rigorous schedule than they have been used to and my dh doesn't interrupt them for outside tasks during the day. Now the kids rarely complain about it. Habits, habits, habits!

Yes! I completely forgot it was a holiday when I planned, so when DH mentioned it I balked! I said, either you need to teach the lessons or go to work. :lol: He went to work, and we're doing school. So far, we've done some reading, some history and a related art project [button bracelet], and a science-related project [made popsicles--> liquids to solid]. Lunch break, then math, phonics, spelling, and maybe grammar :)

We do a little school everyday. So Mowgli did a OPGTR lesson, some work on telling time, wrote a sentence, and reviewed her geography. She will read a book out loud and do memory work sometime this afternoon. My husband has the day off so we may start Spanish today.

We are but just a light day to finish up stuff we didn't finish on friday like I thought we would. Beyond that we are using today to get teh house back in order for the new week ahead, and the kids are going to go play with their friend in town. They can't play with him during the school week and it looks like he will be moving away on the weekend, so today is their last chance.

Yes, today dd is working on her Spanish (test on Thursday) and on her AP Human Geography. With her schedule this year, she needs to work almost all the time as she is not a fast reader. She does have breaks but almost always, it isn't a full day. For example, yesterday she went to church and Sunday School, then in the afternoon, did reading for AP Geography, then went to youth group. This morning, we went out for breakfast to have a nice going family time with both of our daughters (older dd is going back to college) and then she came home and started on Spanish. Thankfully, a lot of her work doesn't involve me so this afternoon, dh and I will go shopping while dd stays home and does her reading and writing for Geography.

I am thinking of doing some school today.

We tend to find any excuse we can to not do school and I am trying to break that habit.

We are going on a 12 day vacation in November and tomorrow we have a doctor's appt in the morning, so it isn't like we are all that diligent with a schedule.

Just wondering about anyone else out there.

Dawn

Yep I agree! We find reasons then when real reasons actually pop up then more is missed. I made it clear this year will be different so yes we are actually doing a full day of school. This is our second week back. Last week we did the basic, reading math etc. This week we added science and so goes the next weeks to come. I will be mean about missing school this year!!

We just got done. I had forgotten it was a holiday and I had everything scheduled so nicely for the next couple weeks I couldn't bear to change it. It is raining here anyway and a bit cool, so it isn't like we are missing out on the beach (we did that last week and no one was there, it was great!).

We did a full day on my new schedule with the both preK boys and it worked great. Even the baby cooperated :D

I had been a bit concerned about doing more with the three year old but he is handling it well. He likes doing the same things his four year old uncle does. I just kicked them outside to play in the puddles. The seven year old is procrastinating finishing her stuff, and the twelve year old is cursing my name as she works through the MM end of year test for sixth grade, which we are doing to find her gaps as she has been in ps. As for me, I think I might bake some cinnamon rolls and refuse to give any to the seven year old or the twelve year old until they get their work done........:001_smile: