Menu

Would this bother you?

Would a spouse taking a bite of your food before you bother you?  

1. 1. Would a spouse taking a bite of your food before you bother you?

• Don't be bitin' my bar!
    • We're married, we share everything. *sigh*

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't bug me, but it would bug my dh. He is a perfectionist. He would not do it to me because he wouldn't like it done. I would not do it because I know it would bother him, but it wouldn't bother me at all.

If your spouse ordered you an ice cream bar at Costco while you waited at a table and then presented it to you with a bite out of it(because he or she just wanted a bite), would it bug you?

Poll to follow

Oh, I sure hope not, I do that to dh all. the. time.:001_tt2:

That poor man hasn't had an unlicked ice cream treat since we were married!

Yes, it would bug me unless he had asked first. I would never even think of doing that to him! Nor would he think of doing it to me. Just a matter of respecting each other's 'space' as far as we are concerned.

It would bug the ever lovin' daylights out of me!

Years ago I might have been okay with it when we were young lovers, but now there is no way I'd be happy about him taking a bit of my ice cream. He has plenty of money to get his own. Or, at the very least he could ask if I mind.

I wouldn't unwrap it before giving it go him. Something about undoing the packaging would keep me from doing it. But, I would ask for a taste. And I would likely take a lick of an ice cream cone....purely to keep it from dripping, of course.;). I would also take a sip from a drink that I was bringing to him.... Whether fountain or opening a bottle/can.

So, I voted that it wouldn't bother me. And I KNOW it wouldn't bother dh.

Yes, it would annoy me. If you want a bite of my food, have the courtesy to ask first. I would never eat any of his food or sip his drink without permission either. I also would never share anything that has to be licked - just gross. I come from a family that never shares things (drinks, forks, etc) and it took until I had children to start doing it, and I still find it kind of disgusting.

I'm more of a cooties person, so it would bother me a teeny bit, but when dh does this it's because he has an overwhelming desire for ice cream/chocolate/whatever he can't have. So I treat it like, "But for the grace of God, there go I." :lol:

And for the sake of full disclosure, despite the utter irony, I do this to dh all. the. time. He says it's why he gravitates toward food I don't like: it's an act of self-preservation.

But really--it's all in fun. If either of us was *seriously* bothered by it, I'm sure we'd quit. But we'd think the other one was strange & territorial. Well. Dh already thinks this about me. I prefer not to share my food; I will not share my computer, desk chair, or desk. :001_huh:

Yep, it would bug me. But truth be told he probably would only ever do such a thing purposely to bug me if we were in a joking/ teasing mood. We do share food and drink all the time, but normally I don't think it would occur to either of us to do such a thing without asking permission first.

I'm not married, but I can answer that it would bother me greatly.

I'm weird about food. Particularly food that keeps it's shape (so drinks, soft ice cream, soups, etc. are *mostly* exempt from the following statements, although there are a few that fall into this category :D) I eat my food in a very particular way. Burgers have small bites taken all the way around so that the burger is almost always round, ice cream with hard coating is eaten coating first, reese cups eaten one specific way, my whole grain cheerios are eaten one color at a time..... :tongue_smilie:The food just doesn't taste the same once it has been ruined. Oh, and I have to take the first bite.

(But if it happens to be a food that I don't eat in any purposeful manner: I'll share with whoever.)

It bothers me, but here's why... DH knows I got a thing about desserts, their mine, all mine. He says he doesn't want any and then proceeds to eat half of mine. It's Costco, they cost a buck a buck and a half, get your own! It's become a joke for us.

First bite unasked: No.

Last bite unasked: YES!

I don't like it when I have one bite left and I'm looking forward to that last bite, and then someone else eats it.

For some foods, I save the best part for last. For example, I like the middle of the cadbury egg best, so I eat the chocolate around it and try to save as much of the goo as possible for the last bite, with the smallest bit of chocolate that'll work before all the goo falls out. If he took my goo-saved late bite, I'd be annoyed!

It would really bother me. It may bother me so much that I would not be able to eat any of it myself. I'd like to think I could get over it but it would really gross me out. I do not like to swap what I consider cold spit. Sure, kissing is fine. It's warm, fresh even. Once it is out of your mouth and on something else? Um. NO. It's not a germ thing. I just think it is gross and especially gross with wet foods like ice cream, drinks, soups, etc. You can't just eat around it or cut off the edge. It mixes. :ack2: I don't share with my kids very much either. I've been told I have issues but I don't care to get past it. It's just gross and I can live perfectly fine with my little neurosis. DH would not take a bite out of my ice cream unless he was purposefully annoying me and I wouldn't take a bite out of his either.

We're married, but I do believe in boundaries! Don't sip out of my drink, either, please.

Okay, it's not that I wouldn't share, but I think of it more like this - his taking a bite first takes away my pleasure of offering to share - make sense?

Edited by AuntieM

First bite unasked: No.

Last bite unasked: YES!

I don't like it when I have one bite left and I'm looking forward to that last bite, and then someone else eats it.

:lol::iagree: Dh would never take the last bite without being sure I'd already had "my perfect bite", which is usually when I stop eating, but not the end of the treat. It is the last bite with the perfect proportion of all ingredients. :tongue_smilie:

On the other hand, I would NEVER take the first bite of dh's ice cream bar because I know it would bug him. He likes to try his own food first, and then he will happily share the rest. :001_smile:

If your spouse ordered you an ice cream bar at Costco while you waited at a table and then presented it to you with a bite out of it(because he or she just wanted a bite), would it bug you?

Poll to follow

Nope. It would warm my heart actually---I love sharing stuff with him ;)

My man enjoys icecream far more than I do. I'd expect him to take a bite, and if he didn't I'd be worried he must be feeling sick.

I don't get the germ thing. Anyone else, yeah it's slightly icky. But germs don't count between spouses (or life partners). I mean, you've got kids, so presumably you've been somewhat more intimate than sharing spit with your bloke ;)

Depends on my mood. If I was already grumpy, yes, it would bother me (and being pregnant, bad idea to get in the way of dessert). But most likely, it wouldn't. (Unless it then prompted the children to ask for bites -- one bite, I don't mind sharing, but several -- not fair!) We frequently share each other's drinks, desserts, whatever. We're the kind of people who will both go for the same dessert at a restaurant, and then one of us will purposely change so that we can each try something different (except that we do have different tastes in ice cream, so it's less likely that we'd share). I figure we kiss and more, so I'm not really too worried about germs usually.

Now, the last bite? *That* would make me mad! I'm one of those people who will save the last bite or two of something really good, whether it's the last few french fries, or the last bite of my ice cream, and DH has occasionally misinterpreted that as me being too full to finish. He knows better now. :)

Well, I am clearly in the minority, LOL. DH said I am insane.

The whole thing was pretty much ruined for me. There were lip marks in the chocolate. :ack2:

The sigh was not to make fun of anyone. I put it because Dh was being all gooshy, "We're married, we share everything. How can you be mad?" :glare:

FWIW, I probably would have offered him a bite. I usually do, but opening up that paper and seeing that first, precious bite gone. :svengo: