Menu

Poll - How much land is your residence on?

How much land do you live on?  

1. 1. How much land do you live on?

• None - we live in an apartment, townhouse, or similar.
    • Less than 1/4 acre. (.1 hectare or less)
    • 1/4+ acre to 1/2 acre. (.101 - .202 hectare)
    • 1/2+ acre to 1 acre. (.203 -.40469 hectare)
    • 1+ acre to 3 acres. (.40470 - 1.214 hectares)
    • 3+ acres to 5 acres. (1.215 - 2.023 hectares)
    • 5+ acres to 10 acres. (2.024 - 4.047 hectares)
    • 10+ acres to 50 acres. (4.048 - 20.235 hectares)
    • 50+ acres to 100 acres. (20.236 - 40.469 hectares)
    • More than 100 acres. (40.47+ hectares)

Nearly 50 acres. We nearly bought the house just across the street as a potential in law house as I'm guessing we will be housing relatives. ( Already did with my dad before he died) Decided against it, but are remodeling part of our house and part of it will be more accessible for wheelchairs and people that can't get around well.

Christine

Just over 3/4 of an acre. The house dh owned when I met him was on 4-1/2 acres, surrounded by a nature preserve on 3 sides. Once ds was born and I quit work, we could no longer afford the mortgage and property taxes so we downsized. We now have much less property to be taxed on, and the house itself is almost exactly half the size of our other house.

Our land is quite small. The entire lot size (which our house takes up much of) is 36 feet by 105 feet. We live in a city and it's pretty typical around here. Thankfully we have a very nice huge park just up the street.

Very similar here. 50 x 100. And that's a big lot around here. ;)

We are just missing an acre by about 20 feet. We've got 42,460 square feet and an acre is about 43,500 SQ.FT. We have sugar maples, a couple of oaks, two stubborn apple trees that I planted two years ago and refuse to grow, and a really nice pine tree plus lilac bushes. The trees border the property on three sides, yet the center of the property 3/4 of the land, is nice and sunny for gardening.

My parents have almost exactly five acres and they are two blocks from here. They are beginning to hobby farm on their acreage along with us. They've doubled the garden size for this year (our plot is being put to beets and oats for pigs and no veggies for people - mom and dad are handling that). We've got the chickens here, but will rotate them down there as well. The ducks are here, but we've got some brush down there to clear for planting blueberry bushes so there is the possibility of a couple of goats being placed on their property to help clear that area and then we'll sell them.

Faith

I have no idea in terms of measurement, but considering that we don't have a front yard at all (the door opens into the driveway basically) and the backyard is a small fenced area of concrete just big enough for a shed and a picnic table… I voted "less than 1/4 acre". (we rent)

We have around 2.5 - 3 acres, and the township doesn't allow anything smaller than that, so it seems even bigger, as it's surrounded by lots of open space. DH would like to have a larger, more secluded, wooded lot, but we like this much better than when we lived in a neighborhood with 1/4 acre lots and the neighbors right on top of us.

5 acres. Our last place, in a city, was on 1 acre. I love the additional space. It is perfect for our family right now. We have room for gardening, chickens, playset, etc. with lots of open yard left over. If we are here long enough, I'd like to talk Dh into sheep or some other small livestock. If possible when we move again I'd like to find 10-20 acres.

We have around 1.5 acres; I forget if it's a little more or a little less than 1.5. It's HUGE compared to our last backyard which was, I think, about .24 acres.

We decided to live in a neighborhood to have, well, neighbors. Honestly, there are no other homeschoolers in our neighborhood and I'm kinda wishing we'd gone for more land. We like lots of things about our neighborhood, but there aren't lots of kids like I'd hoped and I grew up in the country, too, so I dream of being out where neighbors aren't so close. Next house, maybe. :)

Four acres, about 10-miles outside of town in the county - about three acres is grass, the rest woods and we're one of eight houses around a fairly large private lake - in the winter, when the trees are bare, we can see two neighbors across the lake, but from now through fall, we see no one due to their trees along the lake; we're clear to lakeside, about 1.5 of the acres are from our home to the lake, so it's an awesome view and full southern exposure all day - the reason we bought this house! We're on the last lot of the lake, so no neighbors to our west, just a pond and access to the lake from the road, about two acres away....one to the east that is blocked by trees, the one to the north is also blocked by the woods that separate our homes....the other neighbors are around the lake but we can't see them, except the two across the lake in the winter.

Edited by RahRah

We live on a typical city lot, so less than .25. I think our lot is 50x120 or so. Our last house we had a half acre. I actually find that this smaller yard suits us better - less to maintain, but we still have room for a deck, a small basketball court and play set, and some grass for the kids to run around on.

This has been an interesting thread. We're in the 10 - 50 acre range. Our farm had 72 acres when we bought it. A couple of years ago we subdivided three 15-16 acre lots off of it when people wanted to buy them. Two of the three sold - the third buyer backed out. So, our "official" lot has 23 acres and we still own (and grow hay on) an additional 16 acres, but that is more or less for sale (not listed right now due to the lowered real estate economy - will be back listed when real estate recovers more).

It's been a great place to raise the boys and have a hobby farm. But, in a few years when my last boy heads off to college we're planning on selling our place too since it's a lot for just two people to keep up. We've come to depend on our farm hands! I'm going to miss country living at that point though.

A little over a 1/4 acre. The lots in our neighborhood are bigger than average for our town. The biggest ones were targeted by developers who wanted to tear them down to put up McMansions. The housing market crashed so several of these homes are now rentals. The transient nature of this makes me so sad. We had such a vibrant, alive neighborhood until this happened. I knew almost a dozen families who wanted to buy in our neighborhood, but were outbid by developers and speculative investors, paying 5% to 10% more than asking price. The only positive in my mind is that these developers took a bath when the market softened. (stepping gently off my soap box.)

our home we just moved from was just less than an acre. Our new yard is much smaller. Our kids are not much for playing in the yard we are more go take a hike or go to a fun park people so it is ok with us. Plus much less yard work. Though my garden will be mostly containers this year I am ok with it I like supporting local farmers ;)