Menu

I'm pregnant, and I'm disappointed.

I just found out. Three positive tests. I could not feel more disappointed right now, and of course I feel guilty for feeling that way.

I had grand plans. This is my last semester of pre-reqs before I was supposed to start nursing school. Now that's on the back burner, again. I have worked so hard. I know that sounds selfish.

I want to cry.

I just found out. Three positive tests. I could not feel more disappointed right now, and of course I feel guilty for feeling that way.

I had grand plans. This is my last semester of pre-reqs before I was supposed to start nursing school. Now that's on the back burner, again. I have worked so hard. I know that sounds selfish.

I want to cry.

I am sorry the timing didn't work our like you wanted. That is a hard disappointment to accept.

I had always planned to go back to school when my kids got to the ages they are now.....then we unexpectedly adopted dd4. We thought we were just fostering her for a while, we didn't know it would lead to adoption. When we were given the chance to adopt, it was laced with a feeling much like I expect you are having. I knew by adopting her, I was giving up something that I was finally doing for myself. While I knew the feelings were a bit selfish, it didn't change the fact that they were real and justified.

Please know that many of us have had the same feelings at times in our lives and can empathises with you . It is hard and it does hurt to give up something you wanted.

:grouphug::grouphug:Prayers, congratulations and well wishes for a happy and healthy pregnacy:grouphug::grouphug:

I want to cry.

{{{many hugs}}}

Congratulations.

I want to cry.

Oh honey, I've had that happen. I was completely floored. Your grand plans can change and become something grander. :grouphug:

My mom had 3 kids under 3 and thought she was DONE. Then 5 years later she ended up pregnant with me. She cried and was so not happy. She was tired and her last one had gone off to school. She tells me all the time that I was the best gift she could have ever received. She tells me how much she loves me and my children and how she couldn't imagine her life without me. So, it is okay to feel down and upset. It will all work out in the end... I promise! Blessings to you!

Despite actively trying for #2, I still felt that way. I didn't start to accept it until my 20 week u/s. And even past that, I didn't really bond with her until she was almost 6 months old. A lot of that was due to pregnancy depression and post partum depression, and probably from having had a tramatic first pregnancy and delivery, but I still have the momma guilt and the what ifs. Either way, I love her and she is a delight and I can't imagine our lives without her. And my lack of excitement and early attachment has had no long term effects on DD. She is very affectionate, well adjusted, outgoing, loving, etc. With time you will adjust and bond with this new child. Just give yourself time.

I want to cry.

:grouphug:

Just come here and say what you need to say; let it out. Holding it in only creates more stress.

I can completely, 100% relate to your feelings. When I found out I was pregnant with our last ds, I lost it. We'd been told NOT to have anymore because of my health problems so I was charting and we were using two back up methods of birth control. I ovulated WAY later than normal. Boom, little ds.

(((HUGS))) I am just glad for you that you can come here and find a place to release the negativity and encouragement. I had NONE.

My youngest ds is now my buddy. Literally, we are two people who are 99 times out of 100, in sync and enjoy each other's company immensely. He's a wonderful blessing, but I couldn't see that future at the time.

Faith

I was always excited but my dh sure wasn't. That's not quite the same but it certainly made me question if the baby was the right thing if dh was that unhappy. He adores all three girls now, even though it took him quite a while to bond with #1 and #3.

I have plans to return to school in a few years and I know I would be upset if plans changed. :grouphug:

I know how you feel.

With my last pregnancy, I sat on the floor with my newly adopted daughter in my arms and just BAWLED. And I did the same thing every time I thought about it for months.

And now, here I sit, wondering if, despite all our precautions, I'm pregnant again. I've got some of the signs, and I simply can't make myself go get a test. Keeping on hoping the lack of my monthly is stress related!

It's alright to cry about this, and there's nothing wrong with feeling rough about such a big change of plans.

I want to cry.

BTDT too. My youngest (born a year after DS8) made me feel the same way. I barely had a chance to get used to DS8 when baby DS came along.

I cried even harder when I found out he wasn't going to be a girl.

I think that's why it takes so long for them to 'bake'. Gives us enough time to prepare mentally for them.

Guest pbbuttercup

It is normal to feel this way when things do not go as you had planned - especially for something as life changing as finding out you are pregnant. It is going to take a while to adjust your plans and figure out an alternative route, but the good news is there ARE alternative routes. There are ways to accomplish everything that you wanted despite your plans altering. Discuss all of your options with the father or family/friends before making any serious decisions about your life. Everything happens for a reason and this could be the biggest blessing of your life!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I was terrified with my first--no insurance, in school, dh & I were sharing a house with three friends (two of whom were getting divorced from each other), etc. But of course now she's our best mistake ever :lol:. I did end up having nearly the longest bachelor's ever, but I graduated eventually!

I was on the path to a grand job that would fly me around to gorgeous places taking photos( as 2nd assistant HUGE POSITION!), following my dreams. The foundation was laid, plans in place, meetings scheduled with the final people, the end of school insight with a fabulous job . And those pesky few weeks of stomach flu that got worse and worse as each day passed... well it was my firstborn. Happy I was not. Pleased I was not. I couldn't even finish school because the pregnancy was so bad. ( I went back after his birth but still..) But once he was placed in my arms, everything changed. And the path that it set me on is one I have never regretted.

It's okay to feel however you want to feel. It is a set back and that is something you must process and work out. It is a change you had not envisioned and that is something you must work out. If we were near, you could come over and cry your eyes out and we would eat lots of ice cream and double chocolate brownies and I would tell no one. :001_smile: Your entitled to work through your feelings. AND NOT FEEL BAD about that.

If you are a Christian, just know that God is in control here and He has a plan for you that may be different from what you had planned for you - but it will work for His good in the end. Let that give you peace. I understand...I would be horrified if I found out I was pregnant right now too...but the above would comfort me (I hope).

If you are not Christian, then I guess all I can really say is, "I'm sorry you are disappointed." *hugs*

Don't feel guilty. You didn't expect this or plan for it, it's changing some major plans you've had, and your hormones are probably going crazy right now anyway... so go ahead and accept your feelings...

...and know that they will pass, that you'll come to love this baby as much as you do your others, and there will come a point when you couldn't imagine your life any other way.

And it will NEVER be too late to follow through with your plans, even if it's on hold at the moment.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Pretty in Pink,

Sounds like you have some good company on here. It's okay to feel sad. Many of us have resented a pregnancy. Sometimes it takes a while to appreciate, but like the others have said, the baby is always the bigger blessing. School will always be there.

Praying for peace for you!

I want to cry.

It doesn't sound selfish - it sounds normal!

I found myself unexpectedly and unintentionally pregnant in my last semester of nursing school. It was horrible. My family sacrificed so much to get me through school, and I'd worked hard... and then this went and threw a wrench in all our plans. It took a lot of mental adjustment before I was at all ok with it - I think most of the first trimester, at least.

Now she's born, and absolutely wonderful. I'm having such a good time with her, much moreso than I did with my first two. It's still hard watching my classmates all go on with their lives and get nursing jobs and talk about paychecks and carpooling together to RN-to-BSN programs and so on. And I'm torn between serious job-searching (which my family needs, and before I get too far out of school to be reasonably hireable), and just taking care of this baby for a while longer.

So, I totally adore her, but I still, nearly a year after finding out I was pregnant, have mixed feelings about it all.

Let yourself be upset - it doesn't mean you'll love the baby any less.

Edited by ocelotmom

It is so awful.... these standards we hold ourselves and others to...

Yes children are a gift from God but they are also an ENORMOUS, LIFE-LONG responsibility! It is perfectly acceptable to freak out, be sad for lost opportunities, etc. I know lots of other women who have felt the same as you and have been villified by others for not jumping for joy at the "wonderful news".

I applaud you for being real about your feelings.

I tried actively for #1 and when the test came up positive (even though it was what I wanted) the VERY FIRST THOUGHT I HAD was "Oh no. What have I done?"

When we adopted ds#2 the process took a year. I swear I almost went mad going back and forth between being thrilled and terrified.

For dd that we adopted here.... well, I had given up on the possibility completely, moved to another country, took a step forward in my career, was half-way through a grad program, etc. So even though my heart yearned for a baby girl....practically speaking, I had written off the possibility.

Man makes plans and God laughs.

We got the call and I had about 5 minutes to decide. I then had 12 hours to adjust to the idea until she was in my arms. I have never been so thrilled and so FREAKED OUT in my life. I had JUST rearranged my whole life in a new direction...one that I could not reverse... and now THIS? How would I do it all?

And I am not going to tell you it has been super easy and that God just smoothed out the whole path. He has provided for us in amazing, miraculous ways but it has still been the busiest year of my life.

But I am also one of those people who believe everything happens for a reason. Praying that God gives you some peace about this. :grouphug: