Menu

I'm pregnant, and I'm disappointed.

I also agree that you are entitled to your feelings, and also to grieve about changing your plans.

Im in college now, a very long sought after goal of mine, and I can imagine I would really struggle with a pregnancy during this and would have a period of mourning over having to shelve my goals for a bit longer.

However, there is always more time to accomplish those things, even if it is hard to put them on hold for a bit.

I struggled with my 3rd pregnancy because I already felt in over my head and had to no idea how I would manage. She has turned out to be such a Godsend in my life. I am so glad and have been for many years that things worked out the way they did.

Be gentle with yourself.

:grouphug: Like others have said, it's okay to feel this way. It took me two months to even admit I *might* be pregnant with dd. I was done after three, or so I thought. We were settling into life with growing boys, were past the baby stage, and we were actively avoiding pregnancy. I am sitting here now with her in my lap and couldn't imagine things any other way. I pray in time this gets easier for you ... but until then, allow yourself to feel all the emotions. :grouphug:

Goodness, last time around (DD #4 is 3 weeks old) we were literally planning on trying for a baby in a few months, but got surprised before we were ready. And I had a hard time emotionally the whole pregnancy in spite of the fact that we were planning to try anyway. I didn't go see a doctor until I was 29 weeks. My mother was convinced I didn't "want" or love the baby. I did, I was just feeling really overwhelmed with the pregnancy and unsure of how I would manage everything. I cried a lot. But now she's here and I'm managing just fine. So don't beat yourself up. Like another poster said, it's a good thing it takes so long to get them here. A lot can change in 9 months. It's going to be okay. :grouphug:

By the way, check the re-entry requirements at the school(s) you hope to attend. Ours allowed a chance to re-enter after dropping for personal or academic reasons.

One woman in my class had a baby about halfway through the first semester. She did end up having to stay back a semester (which may or may not have had anything to do with the baby), but has since graduated. Another woman joined our class halfway through - she'd become pregnant during her second semester, taken a year off after that, then rejoined our class.

Being pregnant during nursing school is not fun, but it isn't impossible, either. Personally, I'd strongly suggest not planning to attend during the semester of your due date if at all possible, since chances are you won't get much leeway in terms of absence, and you'll need to be back in class and clinical probably within days of birth. But the rest is manageable (barely!), assuming the pregnancy isn't complicated.

Big hugs to you. I remember being very unhappy with the timing of #4; however it is all good now. But yeah, if I found out I was pregnant now I would be throwing a fit. It's OK, you don't have to be all happy-happy-joy-joy right now...give yourself some time to adjust and make new plans.

:grouphug: I felt the same exact way last year at this time with my #5. I cried a lot. I was angry and scared. Dh cried. He was in denial and scared.

I love my little guy passionately, but I am still adjusting to my new reality. It's really, really hard to have "moved on" and then to be forcefully pulled back to the baby stage.

I totally know where you're coming from. I'm 7.5 months pregnant right now and was so upset when I found out I was pregnant. James Bond was too. We did NOT plan for another baby (in fact JB was scheduled to get the big V when we found out). Indy is 8 and we're in a really good place. He's independent and we can pretty much do what we want. A new baby is going to throw a kink in all that. I know when he's born I'll love him to bits and we'll eventually get a new routine down, but I'm still not thrilled over it.

:grouphug:

Thanks for the support and encouraging words, ladies. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I was so shocked yesterday when I first found out. I'm already feeling a bit better. I know this baby will be a blessing, and I will love him or her to pieces. And in the grand scheme of things this is really just a temporary setback.

I'll probably wind up taking off fall semester and just join the spring class instead. I'm only scheduled for one class this fall, so I could probably go ahead and take it if I really wanted to. I don't have to decide yet, though.

I'm terribly nauseous already. Yuck.

My dh is thrilled beyond belief! :001_smile:

I just had a scare a few days ago, wondering if I was pregnant (turns out I'm not), so I understand exactly what you are feeling. It's perfectly okay to feel alarmed, scared, angry, etc. Let yourself grieve over what will change. It's healthy and very normal.

I just saw your update... I'm so glad you are feeling better about it, and it's wonderful that your dh is excited! May I congratulate you? I hope you have a healthy pregnancy!

Thanks for the support and encouraging words, ladies. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I was so shocked yesterday when I first found out. I'm already feeling a bit better. I know this baby will be a blessing, and I will love him or her to pieces. And in the grand scheme of things this is really just a temporary setback.

I'll probably wind up taking off fall semester and just join the spring class instead. I'm only scheduled for one class this fall, so I could probably go ahead and take it if I really wanted to. I don't have to decide yet, though.

I'm terribly nauseous already. Yuck.

My dh is thrilled beyond belief! :001_smile:

I'm so glad it's all looking better today. And when you're old like me you'll be so happy you had another one :001_smile:. 3 cheers for your hubby. Gotta love a man who loves their children!!

I remember so well having those same feelings of fear and shock, and even disappointment. I am glad you are feeling better and that dh is excited.

If you dont mind, I am going to take this opportunity to get a little philosophical. (that is the que for anyone to bail out if they dont like this kind of stuff).

Funny how timing and attitude makes such a difference in one's perception and outlook.

I had a tubal ligation after my 4th child was born in 2001. She was the 4th in 5 years, and I was overwhelmed. Talk about hard stressful times.

Fast forward to 2006, I realized that I was having physical problems from the ligation (after much research on the net) and in addition found myself wanting to have another child. By 2007, I had a reversal. I thought everything was going to go back to the way it was prior to the tubal ligation. After all, I had read so many success stories of other reversals. It is now 2011 and I have had 1 child carry to full term, but I have lost 7 others. Yes, 7, and what I wouldn't give to have all of them right here with me, overwhelmed or not.

What strikes me as so poignant is that the children were coming and that didnt change; just my ability to carry them full term changed. That one factor changed my whole outlook and perception toward having more children. You said it best. Children really are a blessing. It's our attitudes about them that are unreliable and subjective.

I say all of this to encourage you to continue to look past your current feelings and set your eyes on the prize.

You can do what is being required of you!! :cheers2:

Edited by lmkzbcb

It sounds like you have made peace with you situation, but I just wanted to share my story with you. I had been dating dh for about 1 and 1/2 years. I was a young Sailor in the Navy. I was 19 and had my whole career ahead of me. I looked forward to being stationed on a ship and visiting different countries. I was a good Sailor. I knew my job well. At the end of my training, I realized I might be pregnant. We weren't married. I was supposed to go to a ship in Virginia, while doon-to-be-dh was going to San Dieho. I was NOT happy. I couldn't imagine giving up my promising career. I definitely could not imagine telling my Southern Baptist Preacher dad I was unmarried and pregnant. Luckily (and I truly feel as though I am the luckiest gal in the world) future dh said "Well, I wanted to marry you anyway. I guess now we really have a reason to get married NOW." Our 11th anniversairy will be next Friday. Dd10 has completely changed my life, and for the better. That doesn't mean I was always ok with it.

I honestly think we here in America glamosize motherhood. We think it will be all sunshine and roses. Well you know what? Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes it is really, really hard. It is ok to acknowledge that. It is valid to feel apprehensive. Parenting is HARD. Giving up a huge chunk of yourself is hard. Luckily babies are cute;).