Menu

Will your kids sleep in?

I was looking at a friend's status on Facebook, and her kids were up late and she was thankful they could sleep in the next morning since they homeschool. I commented that I wish my kids WOULD sleep in. My kids get up EARLIER when they've been up late. They get up earlier and just act crabby all day. And my dh's family wonder why I am SO ANAL about bedtime, even when we are visiting family....

Will your kids sleep in?

A few of them will... but one or two simply.will.not.!

They will wake up ON THEIR OWN at 5am on a Sat. morning if they heard any comment that had anything to do with their dad going out fishing the next day. If they have not heard anything like that... they will wake up by 7am for sure. If we are tired, I simply tell them to go back to bed until I am up. Fortunately, that is one area that they obey me in!

I am a fairly early riser, though... Even on the weekends I will get up early JUST to have the home to myself... all nice and quiet.

even my almost 13 yr old dd gets up when the rest of the littles do. mostly that is because you can't sleep at all once they are up.

I get frowns from my in-laws when we are visiting because all the cousins are playing and I'll make mine go to bed. Their kids will sleep in...mine will not.

It depends.

IF I want them to sleep in so I can sleep, get something done, have romantic time with DH, then they are up bright and early.

If I need them to get ups because we are going somewhere, need to get school done, have chores I need help with, then they sleep late.

Lately, at ages 11 and 10, I am having to wake them up because they have been sleeping to nine or ten in the morning and then don't want to go to bed until late at night.

My kids don't sleep in at all. Never have. My son is now at the age where you'd think he would start, but I haven't yet. I used to catch a lot of flak about it, especially from my MIL, but she's kept the kids overnight several times since then and has learned that even putting them to bed at midnight doesn't make them sleep past 7 at the latest. She makes sure they're in bed by 9 now :D

We use blackout blinds and a white noise machine so, yes my dd- 12 does sleep in. I'm glad she gets enough sleep as a homeschooler.

I think it's very important for physical and mental health and also for education. Night time is when your brain moves the knowledge it acquired during the day to long term memory, so you don't forget it as easily. Also, it helps a lot with her behavior and attitude if she gets enough sleep.

:bigear:

Thankfully, yes, my kids will sleep in (they are 6 and 3). When they were babies, I made sure that I did not schedule my days around their naptimes and bedtimes. I wanted them to be able to yield to the needs of their body and fall asleep when their bodies needed it rather than at certain times. So if we were out running errands, I didn't come home just because I knew they were getting sleepy. If we were invited to an event, I never said I had to leave due to my kids naptime or bedtime.

This resulted in the fact that my kids can fall asleep in the stroller if we are out and about. When we are on vacation at Disney, we never leave the parks for rest time because my kids just snooze when needed....we go from like 9 AM till midnight so that we do not miss anything. If we need to be out late, my kids can fall asleep late without being grumpy and will sleep in the next morning.

I'm very flexible with my childrens bedtimes and they just go with the flow. DD6 is a night owl and has always been....she's like the energizer bunny and can go, go, go on very little sleep. DD3 is the one who will walk up to me and say "I'm ready to go to sleep now." DD6 would never admit to being sleepy LOL.

I think any time you get off your normal schedule, kids get a little wonky. We stay up late and get up late and it works for us. Kids are in bed by 9:30/10:00. DD7 usually reads until 10:30/11:00. Then we all get up at 8:30. No one is ever really crabby when we stick to the normal-for-us schedule. :)

When my kids used to nap, I also let my kids nap wherever/whenever. They were really good at car-napping, stroller-napping, and backpack-napping. They always got what they needed. :)

Indy (8) usually sleeps until about 8am, but has been known to sleep as late as 9:30 (lazy!). He's almost always in bed NLT 8:30pm and I am a bit crazy about that. I want him in bed on time. Of course he gets to stay up late on special occasions (like NY Eve), but normally, he's in bed on time. If he's up before me and dh, he plays in his room or get himself some breakfast.

I have it so good right now, but when the baby comes, it's all going to go away! Drat! IF I'm lucky though, this one will be a good sleeper. Indy was always a good sleeper. He started sleeping through the night at around 5 months and slept 12 hours straight (8-8) and took 2, 2-3 hour naps a day until he was about 18 months, and then took 1, 3 hour nap every day until he was 5. Everyone send good sleep vibes my way that this baby will be similar. Mommy and Daddy LOVE to sleep.

My older won't sleep in for anything - she'd probably be up earlier than usual and cranky. The only solution for her is early bedtime the next night. She's been like this since she was a baby, so I guess it's just how she's wired. It will be interesting to see if this changes when she's a teen because their rhythms are supposed to shift.

My younger often will. Her normal wakeup is around 7, but she's been known to sleep past 9 every now & then if she really needs it.

No. They are up with the sun no matter what and cranky if they've had a late night.

I wish people would understand this. They tend to think, "Oh, let's just enjoy a late night. It's Friday. Your kids are older. Chill out." Except that my kids will still be up on Saturday morning at 5:30am and they'll be sniping at each other and throwing attitudes all day long.

BTW, I was and still am the exact same way. My eyes just pop open when the sun comes up.

Mine do not sleep in and I am pretty rigid about bedtime. They'll sleep in a bit, and I mean 7:15 instead of 6:15, if they've had several late nights in a row, but it just isn't worth the cranky attitudes. I get snarky comments sometimes about it from friends and family, but I know my kids and I know what works for our family.

No. They are up with the sun no matter what and cranky if they've had a late night.

I wish people would understand this. They tend to think, "Oh, let's just enjoy a late night. It's Friday. Your kids are older. Chill out." Except that my kids will still be up on Saturday morning at 5:30am and they'll be sniping at each other and throwing attitudes all day long.

Oh no, say it isn't so! I have at least six more years of this??!!

My oldest has always been a real early bird -- he conks out at 7 and is up between 5:30 and 6. Going to bed later only makes for an awful day the next day. Actually, I think he'd really prefer to go to bed at 6 and wake up even earlier, but no. Just no.

My 2.5yo is on the same schedule; I think he could probably be pushed later IF his older brother didn't get up so early. But he always wakes up when his brother wakes. And now the baby, the sweet little baby, is waking up at sunrise. The noise doesn't help, either.

I have to say, I could deal with the early wakeups a lot better if I could kind of ease into them, you know? But the boys are horrifyingly energetic in the mornings. They aren't just awake, they are UP AND READY TO BEGIN THE DAY!!

Oh, on the subject of relatives -- I left the older boys at my parents' when I had a baby a few months ago. My dad was all, "Ha ha! We can let them stay up late! And feed them ice cream! And we have TV!" I just laughed and said, "Go right ahead, do what you want. But I'm telling you, if you put them down late, it's your funeral. Just please don't do it before you return them to me." (As it turned out, not only did they put the boys down early, but my parents were so wiped by the end of the day that they themselves went to bed shortly afterwards.)

Edited by JennyD

so all you whose kids won't sleep in....are you adamant about bedtime? Have you ever caught flak because of it?

DS is up at 7AM. We don't even use an alarm clock anymore! We are adamant that bedtime is 7PM or we have a very grumpy, unfocused child the next day. We do catch flak occasionally, but I just say "I know what works best for my child" and move on - passing the bean dip really helps.

My son would sleep all day if I let him. My daughter would not. Even as a very little girl, she woke up at 7 whether she went to bed at 8 or midnight.

My son has been like yours since he turned 9. It seems like he could sleep 12 hours a day (or more!), especially when he's going through a growth spurt.

During the week, DH and I are always up around 6:00; I wake the kids at 7:00. On the weekends, no one around here ever gets to sleep much past 8:00. By that time the Goldens start jumping into the beds wanting their breakfast, and the pigs are squealing so loud for their breakfast that you can hear them all the way from their pasture.

If we were an animal-less farm though, my oldest would sleep all day, and my youngest would still be up by 7:30-8:00 at the latest.

Krista

Edited by kristavws

Will your kids sleep in?

Yes. When they were little, we'd have to wake them up on Christmas morning because DH couldn't wait -- by then it was 8:30 a.m.

Now they can easily sleep until the afternoon, no matter what time they go to bed.

DD is the morning person in our family -- she is usually up by 8 or 9 a.m.

Absolutely. DD4 will wake up first (sometime after 10-12 hrs of sleep). DS8 will easily sleep until 9-10 a.m. regardless of his bedtime. DS18 is still asleep and it's noon.

3PM here and my 16 yo is just now in the shower as of about 15 minutes ago. He has classes during the week though, so it's not like he does this every day (just whenever he can get away with it :tongue_smilie:).

Still, I waffle back and forth over how much it bugs me. He's a good kid, a good student and he is conscious of time when it's warranted. I'm certain that when it matters to him (or to an employer) he'll adapt to any schedule he needs to. He's just really a major night owl--and a bit of an astronomy buff.

I would have done the same thing at his age if I could have gotten away with it. I used to go outside at night just to be under the stars (and even in the woods) alone. Everything looks different at night, and I found that intriguing well into my teens. Used to freak my mom out (and we lived way out in the middle of nowhere). To this day, I don't think she realizes how often I did it.