Menu

Depressing state of economy-is it better where you are?

I watched the 60 minutes report "the 99ers" online today and it was very depressing. What it did make me think is the economy is not so bad in all areas. Why don't I try to start a thread so we can say what local job prospects are like for all those unemployed here?

I will start- in the close in DC area, the economy is not too bad. Many places are hiring, though probably low end. The federal government and some contractors are still hiring too. Federal jobs are listed on the web. The unemployment numbers here are lower than average but not amazingly so. The living expenses are high, though. If you have transportation and are willing to travel, you can live further out and have much cheaper housing.

Here in Charlotte,NC the unemployment is pretty high and housing is still cheap(compared to other parts of the US). People are still moving here(lots from Florida and the NE-although it's slowed considerably due to those folks can't sell their homes in said states). I was up in Asheville last weekend at the Biltmore and it was packed. The tix are very expensive(I think) and you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with the economy going there...restaurants were on 2 hour waits, the Biltmore was packed, traffic was crazy. I do know(being a former Floridian) that they come in droves to see the leaves and change but it was really, really busy. I think that is a good sign..hopefully. I do watch the real estate market constantly( I just love to do that) and have seen home prices drop to 2007 levels-maybe lower and inventory is high but I have high hopes it's starting to rebound.

Everything is bad here - Detroit area. So many people are getting laid off or taking pay cuts. A good friend couple of ours were both laid off. He was a partner in a law firm! She was an executive at our electric company.

Lots of houses in foreclosure. Lots. That's bringing the value of our houses WAY down. But, we've gotten our property taxes decreased too. We bought our house 3 years ago and put over 20% down. We're currently WAY underwater with our mortgage even with that downpayment. And, the value of this house ten years ago was $400,000 more than what we paid for it!! It's okay. We're not going anywhere! Dh's job is fairly secure (as secure as any job in MI can be right now).

But, there are great deals out there on houses if you can find a job!!!

I watched the 60 minutes report "the 99ers" online today and it was very depressing. What it did make me think is the economy is not so bad in all areas. Why don't I try to start a thread so we can say what local job prospects are like for all those unemployed here?

I will start- in the close in DC area, the economy is not too bad. Many places are hiring, though probably low end. The federal government and some contractors are still hiring too. DH's firm MUST hire 200-300 people, like yesterday. These are not particularly low-paying positions - some might be close to $100k. An intelligent person with a college degree and the right 'slant' in their experience could literally be hired on the spot. Federal jobs are listed on the web. The unemployment numbers here are lower than average but not amazingly so. THIS is true. I see many companies responding that: 'we cannot hire that person b/c they will want too much $$$$. They don't even bother asking the person, and the position remains unfilled. :glare: The living expenses are high, though. SURE ARE! And even if one can afford a $200-$250k townhouse, they are being snapped up by investors at a sickening rate. If you have transportation and are willing to travel, you can live further out and have much cheaper housing.

If you can get there before the vultures who are buying them for investment purposes.

There are several new *huge* homes being built (already sold) near me. The private school my kids used to attend has no openings in the elementary school (and it now costs about 20k/yr).

A family nearby just added a 2 car garage and a giant loft bedroom & bath to their exisiting home.

There are a few homes for sale and they are selling, although not at the prices of a few years ago. You can get a bargain.

There are opportunities for Dunkin' Donuts/pizza joint/mall sales jobs. (Not a living wage).

There have been few police/fire/teacher job cuts.

I don't live in an area dependant on any one type of work or industry.

I have no idea what is going on... ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

There are several new *huge* homes being built (already sold) near me. The private school my kids used to attend has no openings in the elementary school (and it now costs about 20k/yr).

A family nearby just added a 2 car garage and a giant loft bedroom & bath to their exisiting home.

There are a few homes for sale and they are selling, although not at the prices of a few years ago. You can get a bargain.

I have no idea what is going on...

Yes, this is what I see here as well. Excellent point. The private schools here have had Open Houses with more families attending than ever before -- tuition for the elementary grades typically starts at $25K. The $50K private high schools are experiencing the same thing. A few K-8 private schools are adding high school beginning in Fall 2011 - so clearly there is no lack of students.

An associate of dh's sent us their new address - their new house cost $4.8M. And the others on their road that were on the market sold as well. :confused:

One observation I have is that the gap is widening between economic levels (not the word I want to use but cannot think of another) -

It's, hmmmmmmm, puzzling.:confused:

There are opportunities for Dunkin' Donuts/pizza joint/mall sales jobs. (Not a living wage).

There have been few police/fire/teacher job cuts.

I don't live in an area dependant on any one type of work or industry.

I have no idea what is going on... ;)

This is a good point - one I forgot about. Around here, there is a lot of work being done on existing houses. Where before, people would just move to a bigger house in our same town, many are just making due and fixing their smaller houses. Probably not a bad thing, but it's just one of the many things keeping more and more houses on the market here.

Everything is bad here - Detroit area. So many people are getting laid off or taking pay cuts. A good friend couple of ours were both laid off. He was a partner in a law firm! She was an executive at our electric company.

QUOTE]

That's scary.

Isn't it? Both found new jobs - making much less money and with long commutes. But, they're employed and thankful for it. (While still looking for a different job!)

Yes, this is what I see here as well. Excellent point. The private schools here have had Open Houses with more families attending than ever before -- tuition for the elementary grades typically starts at $25K. The $50K private high schools are experiencing the same thing. A few K-8 private schools are adding high school beginning in Fall 2011 - so clearly there is no lack of students.

An associate of dh's sent us their new address - their new house cost $4.8M. And the others on their road that were on the market sold as well. :confused:

One observation I have is that the gap is widening between economic levels (not the word I want to use but cannot think of another) -

Actually, the unemployment rate for those with college degrees has been drastically lower than the overall unemployment rate. The higher educated, wealthier households have not seen the recession the same way those at the other end have.

The blue collar world has been decimated! Ten years ago my Dad was paying licensed plumbers $18-20, while those same licensed plumbers are making $12-15 now. That is HUGE! Multiply that across all the trades, manufacturing jobs (that have been drying up for years), and other typical non-college degree jobs and you will see the recession.

It is widening the gap. People who might have been able to make $10-12 an hour in the past are competing for minimum wage jobs. You can't live on a minimum wage job (or even two!), but our society needs them - cashiers, gas station attendents, cleaners, housekeepers, landscapers, etc.

We are fairly well insulated here in Johnson County, KS, but not untouched. We do not know of more than one or two with job loss issues, but folks are cutting back a good bit on extracurriculars. Not all though - all the sports leagues have enough kids to keep full teams, and I know of at least 5 youth theater companies that are not having trouble filling large casts for performances.

I see it most in the housing market. In our price range, things are just sitting, sitting, sitting. Less corporate repos. A couple of foreclosures in our neighborhood. We would love to downsize but it's not wise to put the house on the market under the current conditions. Maybe in the spring.

I think it's that tine in the political cycle where individuals and businesses alike just stall and hold their collective breath until November 3. I think things may rev up (or down) quite a bit in about two weeks.

I dare not say more lest I drift into a discussion of politics.

Actually, the unemployment rate for those with college degrees has been drastically lower than the overall unemployment rate. The higher educated, wealthier households have not seen the recession the same way those at the other end have.

The blue collar world has been decimated! Ten years ago my Dad was paying licensed plumbers $18-20, while those same licensed plumbers are making $12-15 now. That is HUGE! Multiply that across all the trades, manufacturing jobs (that have been drying up for years), and other typical non-college degree jobs and you will see the recession.

It is widening the gap. People who might have been able to make $10-12 an hour in the past are competing for minimum wage jobs. You can't live on a minimum wage job (or even two!), but our society needs them - cashiers, gas station attendents, cleaners, housekeepers, landscapers, etc.

Well put - you've articulated this clearly. I do see the widening gap that you mention. I see the lack of manufacturing (which we all have commented on here on this board in the past) to be a huge issue. No one here is 'making' anything, BUT there is a huge need for folks to 'ring up' the sales of items made elsewhere. And, yes, you are correct - no one can live on those wages -- HERE in NoVa, at best, those are second jobs for folks who have day jobs but need help making ends meet.

Another observation I might make is that depending on 'where' one is, wages for folks who are plumbers, electricians, etc will vary. In NoVa there is a large population of professionals who WILL pay top dollar for someone to come into their home and do work. An area that does not have such a demographic will likely NOT be able to support as large a work force of those types of workers - plumbers, etc.

Maryland DC area here.

My dh is a network engineer/manager and is looking to hire two people. They are having trouble finding the appropriate help.

It is so sad to read the stories here of families that are hurting. :crying:

Same here - dh's firm needs to hire many -- he says they do have difficulty finding appropriately experienced people.

On a Saturday afternoon, one cannot MOVE in Wegman's. I am not a mall shopper except for running in and out at breakneck speed and getting what I went there to get so I don't know if the malls are crowded or not. I do think that at some level, places like Wegman's is crowded b/c if folks are cutting back in some areas, they are spending some of that in other places - fresh flowers for the table, high end food, stuff like that.

Entry level priced homes are selling almost immediately. The $1+M dollar homes seem to be going under contract. The market here seems to be stagnant in the $700k-$950k range -- there are alot of homes in that price range on the market. THAT being said, some are able to take advantage of this particular real estate market to move closer in (for commuting reasons) -- folks who had gone further out when prices were high are coming closer in as long as they did not buy at the peak of the market. Folks who went further out and bought when prices were high are upside down right now.

I think it's different everywhere - we were in Woodstown NJ over the weekend - the ACME supermarket is struggling to stay open.

Different places have different economic dynamics.

We are fairly well insulated here in Johnson County, KS, but not untouched. We do not know of more than one or two with job loss issues, but folks are cutting back a good bit on extracurriculars. Not all though - all the sports leagues have enough kids to keep full teams, and I know of at least 5 youth theater companies that are not having trouble filling large casts for performances.

I see it most in the housing market. In our price range, things are just sitting, sitting, sitting. Less corporate repos. A couple of foreclosures in our neighborhood. We would love to downsize but it's not wise to put the house on the market under the current conditions. Maybe in the spring.

I know when we lived in Johnson County (early 90s) the housing market was like a set of revolving doors. People were transferring in and out at lightning pace, everyone coming in wanted new construction and got it too.

Anyway, where we are now has been hit in the blue collar industries. Dh has been out of work all summer and has had to go out of state to find work (with family). He's done one referral job here since May. Contractors that normally hire a number of employees don't have work.

A thrift store by us closed the other day, sign on the door said due to the economy. I notice more people trying to diversify in a small way. Most business owners are doing more than one thing. More people selling things on the corner on the weekends. More small businesses shutting down.

Well.. that's hard to say. Yes, unemployment is high in this area, but (and this ticked me off) Dh's company is laying off 4 workers, all of whom were sought out from another company in the same industry for hire, but they chose to go on unemployment. I hope I don't get tomatoes thrown at me for this, but I think the effects of the economy are much worse for those who were foolish with their money to begin with. People shouldn't buy a home they can barely afford and then take out a second for a pool. Running up credit card bills? I see what people buy in the grocery stores - expensive convenience foods. I know this is not everybody, and there are exceptions, everybody knows them or is one, but my family has done well in this recession. Dh was even furloughed for 4 months, took a 20% salary cut and we were fine. I think this recession would have been much less devestating if people had not been living so close to the edge of disaster to begin with.

I would agree with this for the most part.

DH's job is pretty secure, in fact, he just got a decent raise this year. And his office just hired two new employees.

Part of the problem with blue collar jobs is that they do work that one can eliminate if one is cutting the budget......retail shopping, eating out, home repairs or renovations, that sort of thing.....

Dawn

Another observation I might make is that depending on 'where' one is, wages for folks who are plumbers, electricians, etc will vary. In NoVa there is a large population of professionals who WILL pay top dollar for someone to come into their home and do work. An area that does not have such a demographic will likely NOT be able to support as large a work force of those types of workers - plumbers, etc.

Plumbers who work for themselves, of course, make more than $12-15 an hour. Not everyone is cut out to be their own boss, though, and the expenses of setting up your own one-person company can be huge (I had clients who went out of business due to the expense of the insurance they were required to carry to be able to operate.) My father was talking of the Raleigh-Durham, NC area, which, while not as expensive as Northern VA, is not know for being a lower cost of living area.

Remember, also, that while the plumbing company may bill $60+ an hour, that does not mean that the plumber who does the work is making anywhere near that much (even the owners - overhead will get you everytime!)

A friend's husband was doing well as a drywall sub-contractor on commercial jobs (an area that was not hit yet at the time.) It got to the point where he would bid, the contractor would come back with a counter-bid, etc. He quit bidding once he realized that the bids he was being required to submit in order to get any work had *him* working for minimum wage!

There are some areas of the country where things are not as bad - much of the midwest comes to mind.

Remember, also, that while the plumbing company may bill $60+ an hour, that does not mean that the plumber who does the work is making anywhere near that much (even the owners - overhead will get you everytime!)

A friend's husband was doing well as a drywall sub-contractor on commercial jobs (an area that was not hit yet at the time.) It got to the point where he would bid, the contractor would come back with a counter-bid, etc. He quit bidding once he realized that the bids he was being required to submit in order to get any work had *him* working for minimum wage!

There are some areas of the country where things are not as bad - much of the midwest comes to mind.

That's been part of dh's issue. He does work for himself and by the time he bids a price this community will support he ends up working for pittance as take home pay. His expenses just continue to rise, while what people are willing to pay has decreased.

Thankfully we're leaving the region and in the process cutting our housing expenses by over 50% (yes we got a steal on an older house) so hopefully he can find more stable work, but we won't starve in the process.

Northern NJ here. We are doing better than we have ever done, and except for my inlaws, we don't know anyone personally who has been having a hard time. We live in a somewhat affluent area. People shop like crazy around here, most kids have all the newest gadgets, etc. It seems like home sales have been slowly increasing, and prices have normalized. It was crazy here in the real estate boom! Dh recently had an ad out for a pt admin/project manager and was flooded with overqualified applicants, though. Quite a few were coming in from NYC.

CT unemployment is around 8%, so it's slightly lower than the national average. A few of our friends have lost their jobs. I think our housing market is holding value better than many areas of the country; the foreclosure rate, except in some areas, is much lower. I do see small businesses closing left and right, though, so we are definitely feeling it. The state itself has a huge budget deficit as well.

My 17yo daughter applied for a job as a page at our town library. The supervisor said he wished he could hire her, but they had so many applicants, they felt they needed to hire someone who really needed the job (I assume he meant someone with a family/bills.)

Edited by Mejane

Around here, I think you can probably get a minimum wage job fairly easily. I know that for me, I graduated with no work history (got married young, had kids right away) and I was competing for low paying entry level jobs against people who had been let go from their jobs and had years of work history behind them. Nothing I can do about that. My brother, in another field, is in the same position, except he was looking in several states, willing to move just about anywhere and still hasn't found work in his field two years after graduation. But his field (finance/banking) is rather hard hit through all this.

Northern NJ here too.

The town where my dd goes to school (very affluent) recently had a bunch of high end condos and house in the $800-$1.5mil range built. Most of them were sold and occupied before the development was completed. These are huge houses in a lousy location (very busy road) with no property at all. I am seeing a lot of people doing modications on existing houses as well.

My 16 year old was able to find a job with no problem and any of her friends who want to work have been able to find jobs. Some are making minimum wage but others are making as much as $10/hour doing retail. Retail places around here are ALWAYS looking for emplyees and even stock workers usually make more than minimum.

My mother and a cousin were both laid off last year. Both found work again quickly. My mother, who is in her mid-60's, has no college degree and absolutely no self confidence and tends to sell herself short, was able to get a job through an agency making $25/hour. This was working for a pharmaceutical company doing administrative work. She retired the middle of this year and they begged her to keep on working at home one day a week. I do know at least one pharmaceutical contract sales rep who is having trouble finding work (but is not willing to relocate so that could be hurting his chances) and one previous manager of a car dealership who hasn't been able to find anything. I do see a lot of small storefronts available for rent.

I live in Dayton, Ohio and the area's economy has been hit hard over the past few years with GM closing their plant down and NCR moving their world headquarters out of town. Part of the problem is that for many years, some people around here skipped college and other training programs because they could get a job at GM back when they paid excellent wages, benefits etc. So, we are left with a large work force that is trained to do nothing but build cars and those jobs just aren't here anymore. There is still a Chrysler plant in town but that seems to cut jobs every year. All of this is starting to trickle into other areas now. I work for a hospital and we got no raises this year and my pay was cut when the adjusted shift differential. My Mom works for a law firm that does Worker's Compensation law and her job is at risk after she had hours cut this year because without the workers there is no need for the attorneys either.

House prices are definitely affected. I live in the city limits and our house value decreases every year. My neighbor bought her house 5 years ago and paid $92,000 for it. She has it for sale now for $59,000 and only two people or so have even looked at it. Fortunately, my dh and I work for two of the largest employers in the area and we have no plans to sell our home so hopefully it rebounds but I am not certain about the future of my city. People are still shopping and eating out etc so there are obviously some that are not hurting.

Its pretty bad here in Western WA. We know multiple couples where both have been laid off, across our group of friends more than 50% have either lost a job, had their entire company go under, or taken a significant paycut (anywhere from 10-33%). One of our friends lost more than 75% percent of their business (and their house to foreclosure) - equivalent to about 20 years of work building contacts & gaining contracts.

On top of the income issues, our house has lost more than 30% of its value in less than 2 years, and there are multiple foreclosures in the neighborhood dragging the values down more. The state has just announced an 8.4% cut in all services, and the schools have cut to the bare bones. No buses for under 1.5 mile walks, no P.E. until 4th grade, huge classes, and music might go next year. Even our preschool was cut because the community college it was affiliated with could not afford it.

Our church has also had multiple layoffs - the Children's Pastor, the Community Care Pastor, the Secretary, the bookeeping staff, all because revenues are down because so many people have lost jobs. It sucks here right now!

Its pretty bad here in Western WA. We know multiple couples where both have been laid off, across our group of friends more than 50% have either lost a job, had their entire company go under, or taken a significant paycut (anywhere from 10-33%). One of our friends lost more than 75% percent of their business (and their house to foreclosure) - equivalent to about 20 years of work building contacts & gaining contracts.

On top of the income issues, our house has lost more than 30% of its value in less than 2 years, and there are multiple foreclosures in the neighborhood dragging the values down more. The state has just announced an 8.4% cut in all services, and the schools have cut to the bare bones. No buses for under 1.5 mile walks, no P.E. until 4th grade, huge classes, and music might go next year. Even our preschool was cut because the community college it was affiliated with could not afford it.

Our church has also had multiple layoffs - the Children's Pastor, the Community Care Pastor, the Secretary, the bookeeping staff, all because revenues are down because so many people have lost jobs. It sucks here right now!

Where in W.WA are you? Oly overall is a bit more stable at present just because so many State Workers live here but I think the recession is just slower/delayed and we have not yet hit bottom like most places. I know for us and our friends who are small business owners it is not good, not good at all. It's scary to know that the other shoe hasn't fallen yet.

I didn't know that when we were talking twins:)

Anyway, OP, I think the unemployment rate here is on the high side. Housing is sluggish but I have noticed that my neighbors who have wanted to sell have managed it. We are lucky with where we live, neighborhood-wise.

My son came back from college this summer and needed a part time job while he is going through the process of joining the Marine Corp. He had no real trouble getting a job at a coffee shop working about as many hours a week as he wants. So while there is unemployment and it's hitting pretty hard, I was happy to see that there ARE some jobs, even though it's not a great one. He makes $8 a hour plus tips (which can be $1 - $3 more an hour more). Not something to live on unless your parents give you free room and board.

My 25th high school reunion was last week and I was feeling insecure and wanted something nice to wear. So I braved the mall on a Saturday afternoon. I never go to the mall. I don't know if people were buying, but it was packed to the gills on an outrageously beautiful day. It didn't *feel* like a recession, but it did feel like h@ll.

We have a friend who was a supervisor with one of the major electric companies here for Seventeen years and he was laid off this year. The numbers here are better than some places, but our local economy is bad. Lots of homes on the market with lower selling prices and values, limited jobs (many are part-time vs. full time) and many feel the bottom hasn't hit yet.

My husband's office wont be hiring or replacing any employees for two years.

And our taxes went up again...:tongue_smilie:

Its pretty bad here in Western WA.

:iagree:

Two of our neighbors were laid off. The for lease signs downtown are increasing. An apartment building the next block over was foreclosed on and stands empty.

If you believe zillow's estimate, our home has lost $90K in value but I think their estimate is high. Several years ago our home was worth $250K; we'd be lucky to get $120K now. One neighbor tried to sell her comparable but slightly larger with an extra bath home for $140K but it didn't sell. Another neighbor couldn't sell her market-ready, gorgeous inside and out home. (It looks like a magazine house.)

My dad was laid off over a year ago, and despite 30 years of experience, can't find a job. He managed to find one temp job barely making more than the unemployment check. He said two other temps he worked with were applying for $13 an hour IT jobs and relocating if they got them.

DH started his own business two years ago after his employer cut everyone's pay by 25%. They've laid off more employees and cut pay again since then. I'm glad he didn't stick around to see how bad it was going to get.

We moved from the Atlanta area in 2009 and the economy/job situation was horrible! Up here in MN/ND we are told that it isn't quite as bad because of the agricultural economy......... food prices suck, but the job my husband got up here (Ag. mechanic) pays more than he was making in Atlanta.

Central Kentucky - I am seeing some signs up that folks are hiring for Christmas. Other than that, I haven't really noticed a lot of help wanted signs around town. There are a lot of houses standing empty here that builders seem to have slowed down or stopped work on. I am still noticing houses on the market for longer periods of time, too....

Here in Nevada, in the suburbs of Vegas, things are horrible. There are strip malls and even major grocery stores, that have shut down completely. Blocks of office buildings that sit empty, some brand new, but never inhabited. There are neighborhoods, likewise, with brand new houses sitting empty. Housing prices have plunged to nearly or beyond 50%. Apparently people still come here for vacations, but we hear often that people are coming to Vegas, but they aren't spending the money they used to. Unemployment is probably 15-20%, and construction jobs, huge a few years ago, have all but left. Yet huge high rises are still being built on the Strip. It is hard to imagine them ever really being fully utilized. And I really wonder if housing prices will ever be what they were. It is very strange, and I am outta here as soon as I can be, but am a bit stuck right now. Guess building an economy on gambling is a gamble.............who knew? And, honestly, I can't imagine why anyone ever thought living here in the desert was a good idea. It is not really "human" friendly out here with all this heat and barely enough water. Can't even grow food cuz the soil is void of organic matter. No, I don't like it here one bit, thanks for asking.

I think it's that tine in the political cycle where individuals and businesses alike just stall and hold their collective breath until November 3. I think things may rev up (or down) quite a bit in about two weeks.

I dare not say more lest I drift into a discussion of politics.

:iagree:Same here in Clay County, north KC area. For the most part everything just seems to be "holding." For lack of a better word.

I think things might be improving here in my small town. Many small business are starting to open and seem to be doing well. The housing market is still doing good and the GM plant is reopening soon. There is also supposed to be growth in the big box market. Of course, prices and interest rates are still rising.

"Northern" Middle TN area here. Lots of military and federal/contractor jobs. There are some factory job losses but overall, not as bad as many places. If you have a BS in Computer Science, Aviation Engineering or something similar, you are needed. My husband's company can not find enough qualified people to fill jobs. 4 year degree minimums, good money, good benefits. Housing is very reasonable, prices haven't gone up in the past couple of years, but they haven't gone down either. For example, you can get a 5-10 year old 2400 sq. ft. home for under $200,000, in a decent area.

We moved from the Atlanta area in 2009 and the economy/job situation was horrible! Up here in MN/ND we are told that it isn't quite as bad because of the agricultural economy......... food prices suck, but the job my husband got up here (Ag. mechanic) pays more than he was making in Atlanta.

:iagree:We moved away from there in 2005..... former Delta people, saw the writing on the wall, and got out before it got worse.

Northeastern MD resident here so not in the Wash or Baltimore metro area.

My dh has been unemployed for 2.5 years and has completely given up looking for a job. He has worked for about 6 months of those months about 1.5 years ago and in a recent conversation found out that the entire warehouse is barely making it and will probably be shut down during the next year. The person he was talking to is also one who has given up looking for job. So, neither are counted in the unemployment numbers -- among many others who are not counted.

Now, dh could probably get any old job but not one that will pay enough to cover the cost of daycare so $10/hour doesn't cut it. He doesn't have a college degree and prefers hands-on work. He's basically competing with the teenagers and young adults.

Interestingly, my 18 year old dss, has been looking for a job for over a year and is now stuck working as a dishwasher for a Denny's. He hates the job but after not working for over a year he's keeping it for now. But apparently the competition is fierce as older people are competing against him.

I think those that can keep their job (avoid lay-offs, etc.) are doing pretty well but once you end up out of the job market you are kind of screwed.

I'm currently working 2 jobs (teacher and tutor) and haven't gotten a raise since I started.

North of San Francisco, CA

Empty businesses, empty shopping malls, young people-not derelicts-in meridians with backpacks with signs asking for food or work.

With very little construction work for two years, we started an ebay business. It may be ebay or it may be the economy, but people are not buying in the US like they were four months ago. We have more international sales than US sales these days, but all sales have dropped off in the last few months.

In town I see people buying food, cheap food and little else.

In Western NC (we are about an hour south of Asheville) things are terrible. Almost all of the textile mills are gone. There are very few employers here except the hospital and the schools. Another factory (possibly the last one that employs more than 100 people) leaves in January. The largest private school here closed, 1 remains open and some churches are doing mostly free schools for their members. A lady we know runs a soup kitchen and she says that in 2 years they have more than quadrupled the number of meals served.

There are so many foreclosures here that the banks don't seem to really even try to sell them. These are not people who had large mortgages, etc.

My dh works for a computer co that does a lot of retail. He usually works in the Charlotte, Greenville/Spartanburg, SC, and Asheville areas. In the past year and a half, he has shut down video stores, home improvement stores, resort offices, financial offices and banks. Other businesses have downsized. His company has had 3 layoffs.

There are homeschool parents here who have been out of work for 2 years or more. I know one guy who works at Bojangles and barely gets 20 hours a week. He would take anything he could get.

It's bad here, really bad.

Georgia

Upstate NY

Things are very stable here, for the most part. This place was rather suppressed economically to begin with so I guess no large bubbles bursting.

Food prices are up. Dh's construction business is doing well. People building garages and large additions. We sold our home last year and got a little less then we expected. Had it on the market for about six months, with lots of people looking. Taxes are going up. Stores and resturants are crowded in the closest city.

Southern NJ: Many people out of work, the Sunday job section in Philadelphia Inquirer is 1-2 pages medical, 1-2 pages everything else. They've added a comic/puzzle section to help people not get too depressed about the job market (not kidding). Just read today in the Inquirer that NJ surpasses MI in foreclosures and unemployment. I would say it's pretty bad.

The stability of the town people is one reason the school system manages to be decent enough. (We also have a fairly low divorce rate here). I think the biggest reason for work stability is that we are not dependant on one industry to employ everyone. The work people do is very diverse.

Edited by LibraryLover

Thank God, we have been insulated form the worst. We live in rural Southeast Nebraska. Nebraska has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. Yes, our economy is largely based on agriculture, but our town has two-three major employers other than ag. DH works at a nuclear power plant, which is almost always hiring. We also have a lawnmower plant and a metal works something-or-other plant here. Home prices are stable and affordable here. Our town recently completed a large public works project and added a new store. I do feel a sense of job security. Nuclear power is a booming business. Many original nuke workers are retiring, so they need new faces. DH has Navy experience, along with a BS in Nuclear Engineering. He would have to show up to work drunk and naked to lose his job.

The only effect of the recession we have felt here was the closing of the Armstrong (think kitchen cabinets) plant here. Our piano teacher's dh was employed there, but he easily obtained a job at the nuke plant.

I really hurt for those in less promising areas. Growing up, I was a victim of the oil bust in South Louisiana and the early 90s recession. I know how much it stinks to have a dad unemployed. If anyone wants to move to the boonies of NE, please let me know. Seriously, our plant is almost always hiring.

South Central PA here - a place that traditionally does well in poor economies. Our unemployment rate did slightly better this last time coming in at 9%. Of course, a couple of years back it was 4.2%.

I'm seeing Walmart and McD's packed (and similar low priced stores and restaurants). Higher priced stores in the mall and higher priced restaurants are struggling - except Friday nights when it seems everyone uses their paycheck to go out to eat. There are fantastic deals at higher priced retail stores - ditto that at higher priced grocery stores. That is, higher priced "more luxury" types of foods are priced on nice sales. Regularly lower priced items have gone up in cost.

People we know aren't out of work, but hours are still cut way back from what people were used to. There's not much building going on, but some people are remodeling here and there. Housing sales are slower overall, but supposedly have picked up 1% from last year. Prices are lower though.

No place I know of is hiring for decent wages. There might be some minimum wage types of jobs out there. Kids at school tell me it's tougher to find jobs. Tons of people are packing our community college looking to add a degree to their resume. Literally... tons of people ARE packing our community college. Employees there are figuring out what to do about parking and such things. At school there are far more substitutes competing for jobs.

Tourism-wise I've read that we had a little bit lower numbers, but spending per capita was way down this year. I have not seen a current update on that.

I don't know what to think overall. I know hubby's business is still down, but that's typical for this time of year. It was a little better over the summer, but not as good as it was when the economy was thriving. When talking with a person in a similar line of work he said his company went from 89 workers down to 25 - and they might have to drop more. At least one other has gone out of business. I'm hopeful some change in policies after the election might help things improve. Time will tell.

Wow, I really feel for you guys. If it werent for these boards, I wouldnt really know how bad it is getting over there. Its not really in the media much over here.

Here, we are busy selling off our iron ore and other metals to China, so until that runs out (inevitably....) we are a boom state. SO the government decides to import 2000 people A WEEK into our city. Great. So now we have traffic jams wheras before they didnt really exist. Now we have dense housing where before we had suburban sprawl.

I think there are plenty of jobs though. And i am working for a gardening and reticulation business that is definitely booming.