Menu

"Real School"

Guest Dulcimeramy

Ha!

Yep.

Kinda how like when I would volunteer at my stepkid's elementary school, the kids would say 'Hey, that's not your REAL mom'.

No, that's right, I'm his FAKE mom. :tongue_smilie:

Just like we do FAKE school, right? ;)

FWIW, I also can't stand when someone asks me if I 'believe in' something. For example, 'Do you believe in women wearing pants?' I know what they MEAN is do I feel it's PROPER or whatever. But how does someone BELIEVE in wearing pants?!

HA! I'm strange with my pet peeves, I guess...

Generally, yes. It depends on if the person saying it is ignorant (as in uninformed) or being an ignoramus (as in it's a choice). I prefer the term "traditional schooling" which would cover public and private school. I can accept homeschooling as being non-traditional.

I prefer "institutional schooling" for public or private school, but I'm sure that would get a lot of panties in a wad were I to use it in RL conversation with many people. :D

(Hey, the school system is the one that changed it from early *dismissal* to early RELEASE. Not me.)

No, but not much makes me twitch. It does make me snicker a little, especially when my boys tend to outperform the "real school" students academically. Pretend school works!

:iagree:Plus, as a childrens pastor for years I got so used to saying "real church" or "big people church", didn't like it...but it made communication easier :D.

I don't know...my kids and I seem to be very happy in our imaginary school!:D

Same here. I'd better not let my kid find out he's in Happy Unicorns Fantasy School, though, as he might conclude that his homework can be equally imaginary.

Simka2, your reference to "Big People Church" made me smile. I guess it's because we just started Ancient Literature class, but I'm picturing Gilgamesh and Enkidu stomping up to a church and struggling to get through the doorway together.

I prefer "institutional schooling" for public or private school, but I'm sure that would get a lot of panties in a wad were I to use it in RL conversation with many people. :D

Lol! I have been known to say something like "Oh! You mean how they have in the Institutional Learning Facilities? Yeah. We really don't do it that way here. But we do learn stuff." Occasionally, depending upon who I am talking to, I'll add "Government Funded" in front of "Institutional Learning Facility".

It does a bit but it makes my eyes roll more than anything else. Fortunately I don't hear it very often so my eyes haven't rolled out of my head yet.

We can't do pretend school here. My Aspies don't do real well in the imagination department.

Question: If we're all doing 'imaginary school' would our school's theme song be 'Imagine' by John Lennon?

:D

Edited by pdalley

No, it doesn't bug me at all because I don't aspire to be a "school", real or otherwise. Now if you said my kids could only get a "real education" at a "real school", that would bug me. Because my kids are getting an awesome education, and it has nothing to do with the crap that happens at the "real school" down the street, aka the toilet my tax dollars are flushed down.

OOPS, sorry, got a little hostile there, maybe something to do with them telling me recently that my child could test into and pay $750 per year, plus book, for the advanced math class. The same one that the ps students can enroll in for free (IF their counselor tells them about it, which they don't). The class that is online because our "real school" is so lame in the math department that this is the only way they can accommodate accelerated learners. And even though it's online, you still have to move at the same pace as the other kids in the online class, and it uses a book that gets terrible reviews from math teachers. They can keep their "real school"!

Not in the slightest. It's just one of many ways people find to articulate the difference between homeschooling and not homeschooling. Generally, you can tell if someone is using the words as an insult, and very seldom have I felt that was the case. It seems a bit silly to go around in a huff over semantics, when I know that what we're doing is perfectly "real".

SBP

(Hey, the school system is the one that changed it from early *dismissal* to early RELEASE. Not me.)

:lol: Sometime people accidentally tell the truth.

The things we have now are not "traditional schools" either. I don't think anything quite like them have existed in the history of the planet. They have been around for less than 100 years. Hardly "traditional."

Actually though, semantics are used in a lot of ways to manipulate ideas now days. I don't really think this is the most serious or worrisome example of that, and I agree that most of the time people do not mean to insult anyone by using the term. To me it is more of an example of how we as a society have come to think of public education as normal or expected, and how we have become limited in many ways by that notion; therefore, I find it kind of sad.

Not in the slightest. It's just one of many ways people find to articulate the difference between homeschooling and not homeschooling. Generally, you can tell if someone is using the words as an insult, and very seldom have I felt that was the case. It seems a bit silly to go around in a huff over semantics, when I know that what we're doing is perfectly "real".

SBP

:iagree: There are enough real insults causing real offense not to bother with people who are imperfectly expressing themselves. Also, I find those few who have ever mentioned real school to me were non-homeschoolers and unfamiliar with our common vocabulary. They were genuinely interested, just not up on the lingo.

Edited by bookfiend
grammar

I say "government school." One of my dd's calls it "prison for kids."

:iagree: There are enough real insults causing real offense not to bother with people who are imperfectly expressing themselves. Also, I find those few who have ever mentioned real school to me were non-homeschoolers and unfamiliar with our common vocabulary. They were genuinely interested, just not up on the lingo.

:iagree: Particularly with the part I bolded. Most are just trying to find a way to get a point across and don't mean to offend or to imply that what we are doing is not real. It falls under "pick your battles" in my book.

Edited by Amy loves Bud
It must have been late when I wrote that sentence!

The things we have now are not "traditional schools" either. I don't think anything quite like them have existed in the history of the planet. They have been around for less than 100 years. Hardly "traditional."

Well, not "traditional education", but "traditional schools", sure they are. A variant of them... Traditionally, if one says "school" one means a classroom with several unrelated kids and a teacher. That doesn't have to mean "late-19th-to-early-21st-century-mandatory-public-school-system"... But it indicates education taking place outside of the home with an outside teacher and children from beyond a single family.

"Traditional school" can cover a range of things, from government schools to parochial schools, prep schools, and even one-room school houses.

What we do is not *particularly* more traditional. We're not hiring a tutor or a governess. I'm not teaching my kids only the trade the I know in order that they can get by with limited academics and the knowledge of how to carry on the family business (whether that's cultivating rice or cobbling shoes or serving in an aristocrat's house). I don't teach my children wildly different things based on their genders.

No, because I know what I'm doing is the best thing for my children. Also, it doesn't really bother me because life is way to short to get offended at every little insignificant blurb someone spouts out. Now, if someone were saying "What your doing isn't real school and I'm going to try to keep you from doing it." then yeah, that would upset me.

Of course, we do have imaginary school quite regularly. DD will decide that the class is going to join us for a lesson, calls them all on the imaginary phone to let them know they're expected, then puts out seats for them. I am then expected to call on them (her) as she sits in the various seats and raises a hand.

Recent students have included kids from her enrichment program, neighborhood kids, and SCA friends, as well as Dexter, DeeDee, and the PowerPuff girls, and once Hannah Montana, until I pointed out that she was too old for second grade. :D

It depends on how it's used. I know a lot of ps parents that call first grade "real school" and more that call Kindergarten "real school," but they're comparing it to day care or pre K.

All the same, I have to restrain myself at times. I don't twitch so much as have a reflexive reaction wherein my hand swats out all by itself...... :lol:

No, it doesn't bother me. People don't automatically 'get' homeschooling. They have a lifetime of school themselves and to them that is real school. If they really understood what homeschooling looked like, then I wouldn't expect them to use that term so liberally. If they did understand homeschooling and still chose to use the term...yes, that would bother me.

Wow. That's really mean.

My mother used to call them child care centers "day orphanages" (which I think is actually a term someone else used? Dr. Laura maybe?) and she used to call public schools "child prisons". I guess because of that I can't really get my panties in a twist over someone using the term "real school" to refer to public school. :glare:

It depends. Sometimes I might reply to a comment like "When will your dc go to real school?" by saying something like, "Oh, gosh--never, I hope. I want them to actually learn to be literate, responsible adults, which is why I keep them away from real school as much as possible!":D