Menu

Would you homeschool your grandkids?

I noticed in the "15-18 year old thread that it's mentioned a couple of times.

I'm curious if you would consider it?

I wouldn't. Unless there was some sort of health issue or extenuating circumstance that kept the parents from doing the schooling, I'd say no way.

I look forward to lots of fun with my grandchildren, and hope their parents will let me be very present in their lives. But not that present.

I wouldn't. Unless there was some sort of health issue or extenuating circumstance that kept the parents from doing the schooling, I'd say no way.

I look forward to lots of fun with my grandchildren, and hope their parents will let me be very present in their lives. But not that present.

Nope. No way.

I don't know.. I try not to say 'never' about anything...

However, my own mother is a retired montessori teacher and she is 'doing' the poetry portion of sonlight core 3 with my kids. She is also there to explain stuff in a different way. and she has tons of ideas, about everything.

So while she wasn't really consulted about my decision to hs, she is happy to help when she is around.

robin

ps - she says she wished she had known about it when I was little.

My youngest is only 2 1/2 and oldest step-DD just made us grandparents, so we are still a few years away, but I would love to be able to include DGS in our schooling, if finances and other situations allow us to continue at that time. I do not see DD ever homeschooling herself.

Yeah, pretty much what you said. Extenuating circumstances. But I'm hoping to raise my children to raise their OWN children!

I think that I would definitely consider helping but not shouldering the whole thing. DD will need to, at times, take continuing education courses in order to keep her medical licenses current plus attend conventions. Plus, in emergency medicine, she has to work a minimum number of hours per year as well. It's not a huge number of hours but it would be enough to occasionally need some homeschooling help. She is so good at trauma medicine that I would hate to see her give it up. So, I guess that I wouldn't do it full time but I would definitely consider a couple of days per week.

As for the boys, who knows what their wives will be doing. But, I suppose that if I keep the door open for one child to request grandma's assistance, then I had better be a sweetie and do the same for the others. Would it be morally inappropriate for me to announce ahead of time that since there are four children, there cannot be four grandchildren each or else grandma might take to her grave early?

Faith

in a heartbeat. my 82 year old mother is currently parenting my brother's teens, including homework, etc, and is doing a brilliant job. they have an amazingly special relationship, and i would covet that with my (not yet existent) grandchildren. and it allows their single dad to pour his energy into work and sports for them.

yes, its work. yes, its joy. yes, yes, yes.

fwiw,

ann

ps. if, on the other hand, my brother was lying on the couch all day drinking and watching tv, then no, no, no....

I'd rather not, but if my kids couldnt I'd gladly step in. I wouldnt want to HAVE to do it, so my Dils (or daughter) could go about their daily lives and have me as the 8-3 school. No way would I allow myself to be treated like that. Hopefully it never comes to that.

I do hope my children decide to homeschool their own kids. They love homeschooling, and I hope they remember this when it comes time for them to choose how they will educate their own children.

Guest Dulcimeramy

If my mother were able to live nearby, she would be helping with our homeschool and I would be so thankful! I know she would do a wonderful job. She really wanted to homeschool us but had to work.

I will offer and be available to homeschool my grandchildren. I'm saving books and materials just in case the recession is still going on and my sons and DILs are too poor to buy all new stuff.

If my DIL wants to homeschool her own dc, I will support her at every opportunity. What's more, I will clean her house once a week and bring a basket of yummy food for their family and babysit often.

If they don't want to homeschool I will still be a loving and helpful Grandma. :) I don't mean to imply that they all have to homeschool or I won't give a hoot about them.

Bar some emergency reason, I would not. I would help pay for enrichment, museum memberships, travel, etc. I would read to them, and help on occassion. I would not take on the job of educating/caring for them on a daily basis. I would not leave my children in a lurch, however. I hope I can be there to help. I hope I have grandchildren.

Edited by LibraryLover

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, probably not. My two grand-daughters are almost 7 and 4.5 y/o.

I am homeschooling our twins who will be 10 in October and our 11 y/o dd.

Once the twins complete 6th grade (they are starting 4th now), I daresay I will not be homeschooling any longer. I do not anticipate that my daughter and her husband are going to homeschool either -- they are both high school physics teachers.

I'm old........and tired.;)

Not if I could help it. I wouldn't be volunteering & suggesting it, that's for sure. I've already wrecked two kids, I don't need more on my conscience. :lol:

And on a sidenote - I used to work with a lovely lady who would say that if her dd's or dil's could not breastfeed, then she (grandma) would relactate & do it for them. I used to think 'yeah! that's great! I'd do that too!' but now, as I get closer to an age where it's a remote possibility, I'm much more uncertain that I would. I'm just feeling done with all that.

Well.. I might consider it. When my daughter is 20 I'll only be 40. I'm not planning on having another child until I finish graduate school at 32- and I hope to have/adopt 2-3 more. So if she were to have a child young, it is conceivable that I could have a child around the same age.

If DD had to work and I was still homeschooling my own or could manage it around my work schedule, yes... I'd probably homeschool a grandchild.

yes, I am open to the idea, however I am not thinking to offer it straight up. The hardest part of homeschooling for me has been the amount of socializing my kids have needed- going to park days etc as a grandparent while others are so much younger might be difficult, and less rewarding...but who knows, I might get introverted grandkids! I'm open, but a shared sort of arrangement would be important. After homeschooling another persons child, I am aware of the issues of taking responsibility when the parent kind of doesn't and just wants you to do it for them. That doesn't work well.

I'd be happy to do it.

A friend's daughter used to have a crush on Mr. Clever. She told her mom, "I'm going to marry Henry and be a vegetarian, and Mrs. Genevieve is going to homeschool my children so I can work."

My kids know that so long as I have breath in my body, I'll be there to help.

Not a chance.

Now field trips - certain unit studies - Five-In-A-Row kinds of things when they're young? Sure! I'm up for that!!

But every. single. day? Nope. I won't babysit/daycare (every day, or on a regular "schedule") either.

I have Big Plans once I get these kids raised and out of my house! LOL I don't want to start over right away. When my kids have kids - it's their turn for the hard labor hours to begin! :D

(all this said, of course, barring unforseen circumstances.....)

Oh - and I'll always be there to "help" my kids in most any way. But, my taking on a thankless full-time job of raising or schooling their children (again, without something unexpected causing it) - is not gonna happen.

Yes, depending upon circumstances. I would rather do the fun stuff, but...

I would! If my dc for some reason could not (due to the fact they both had to work, or something similar) I would in a heartbeat.

I plan on watching my dgc (when the time comes, my oldest is only 12) if both parents have to work. That is how it was for us when both me and dh had to work (this was pre-homeschool days) It might make a difference that I could be a VERY young grandma though (dh and I had our kids very young! I had all 4 by time I was 25)

Wow, that's a tough call. My oldest son is divorced and my two grandsons are in public school and daycare. I hate it, it just breaks my heart. But ex-dil would never consider allowing me to homeschool the boys even if I offered. My oldest grandson is only 13 months younger than my twins so it wouldn't be all that much of a stretch but as I said, she would never allow it. If I could, in order to keep them out of public school and teach them a biblical worldview, I'd do it. It would be some VERY long days, but I'd do it.

My second son and dil are planning on homeschooling their children. They have a 2, 1 and baby due in January;) My dil was homeschooled, her younger sister is still being homeschooled so I'm fairly confident that I won't be called on to homeschool there, but I'll certainly help when I can.

Time will tell how the other four plan to educate their children.

Oh, I plan to specialize in summer school with a curriculum that involves sun-kissed, tired dirty kids at the end of each day. :D

Seriously, if my kids had something specific they wanted my help with, I'd do what I could. Not full-time homeschooling though.

At this point, I'd have to say no as dh and I are making plans already for what WE want to do when our boys are grown and gone.

However, not knowing where life will lead any of us, I can't for sure say "no way" because if ds and future dil needed help, I'm sure we'd help them in any way we could as long as they were proving themselves to be responsible and not lazy.

Great question, OP!

I would love to help homeschool my grandchildren through the early elementary years if my kids wanted to homeschool their children but weren't able to. It would be important to me to be able to use materials that I enjoyed using, so if they wanted me to use something really structured like Calvert or Abeka, I'd be pretty reluctant. I'd just love to take a little one through MFW K and read a lot of the lower level SL books again.

Lisa

No. I'll be 58 when my youngest graduate. I will be done. I certainly wouldn't mind helping out occasionally - would absolutely love to read to them - but the responsibility of seeing that they're educated will belong to the parents.

I would be quite willing to homeschool grandchildren, or else to help support my children in order to enable them to do so themselves (buying things for grandkids, up to and including requested curricula, extracurric's, etc.).

My daughters plan to homeschool their children. But my son and his fiance are not Christians. If they would allow me to homeschool their childern, I would JUMP at the chance so as to be able to teach my Grandbabies about their Savior. It would be the best use I could ever imagine of my later years. As a matter of fact, I think I'll start praying for that now!

Don't worry folks, my son and fiance know that my love for Jesus is a constant in my life and have already said they won't mind me sharing that with their kids. I would never do it secretly.

I am a LONG way from ever having grandchildren, but, if both parents HAD to work for financial reasons, yes I would. I would rather see my grandchildren homeschooled than forced into an institutional setting. After hearing how well behaved my children are for my mom, I'm thinking it might be easier to homeschool the grandchildren than my own offspring!

Well, I have the total opposite opinion. I am a grandmother homeschooling my DGD since 8th grade and assisting my another daughter with homeschooling her four any way I can and I will be starting Latin this year with her 9 year old son,DGS. The mother of the DGD I have homeschooled since 8th grade is a single mom who must work full time in order to support the two of them and asked me to do the core curriculum for her plus Latin, since I had taught it for years. She has done mostly the elective type courses until this year.

This year she left her fulltime job and incorporated her own business to work out of her home. She and I will team teach so-to-speak. She will do the higher math, since accounting is her speciality, Bible since she is the spiritual head of their home, speech, economics, and health. I will do World History, World Literature/Composition, Latin 3 and Chemistry. We have been able to work together homeschooling; since she is now in high school it is like changing classes. She has early morning classes with her mother at home and comes to me mid-morning to do the clases I will teach. Some days we SKYPE and she stays home; it depends on what we have on the plan. Her mother and I had planned her whole 8 thru 12th grades in the beginning so we have known what was coming and what responsibility each of us would carry. It has worked well thus far and my daughter having her business at home will further facilitate the subjects she decided to teach when we began this venture.

When my DGD started school, I was the MS/HS Principal in the Private Christian School she attended and my daughter was the bookkeeper at the same school. She remained there thru 3rd grade and circumstances changed in the school for us and she attended ps for 4-7th grades, when I retired. My daughter felt my DGD had learned little since leaving private school and asked if I would consider team teaching with her. I agreed and I still had most of the curriculum I had used teaching MS before I became Principal and later Educational Therapist. It was a perfect fit for all. It might not work for all grandmothers but my DGD and I have laughed, cried, and enjoyed almost everyday since we started. My daughter is the homeschool Mom and I suppose I am the co-op teacher. It's much more than a co-op class for all three of us though. It's an partnership and investment in the future of my DGC.

This year my DGS is ready for Latin and my youngest DGS is going to need speech and occupational therapy twice a week a distance away from where my other daughter lives and I will be assisting her on the days I am not teaching DGD. I have five children grown up and five grandchildren and I am a professional and homeschool teacher and grandmother. What a great blessing.

Oh BTW, my DGD's mom was the first homeschool graduate in our county over 20 years ago. So you can see why she would want to homeschool her own daughter even though she had to work full time until she started her own business. She has always had the dream of homeschooling even when her daughter was in private school.

It might not work for everyone but we strongly believe in homeschooling and Christian education and have for 30 years or more. We were homeschool pioneers way back in the early days when we were afraid to answer the door during school hours for fear there was a truancy officer at the door to issue a citation because our children were not in ps. We have come full circle and homeschooling is legal in our state now and so enjoyable for us. Every year is an adventure and is keeping me young.

Well, I have the total opposite opinion. I am a grandmother homeschooling my DGD since 8th grade and assisting my another daughter with homeschooling her four any way I can and I will be starting Latin this year with her 9 year old son,DGS. The mother of the DGD I have homeschooled since 8th grade is a single mom who must work full time in order to support the two of them and asked me to do the core curriculum for her plus Latin, since I had taught it for years. She has done mostly the elective type courses until this year.

Oh, I don't think your opinion is really opposite of many of ours. Many of us have stated that if our children really needed us to do so, that we would. That is wonderful that you are able to be there for your daughters and grandchildren.