Menu

Do you check your grocery receipts for mistakes?

At the store yesterday I happened to look at the screen just as the cashier was scanning my steaks. Somehow a $15 package was charged three times. I know he didn't do it on purpose, but I'm wondering how often it happens inadvertently. I never look at the receipts, but I'm wondering if I should start.

If you check them, how often do you find mistakes?

I find mistakes quite often actually. That's why I hate when the cashier starts checking my stuff while I'm still unloading the cart. I prefer to watch each item scanned so i can catch mistakes when they happen. I now use self-checkout most of the time for that very reason.

I'd say I get an error on 8 of out 10 receipts. I try to check my receipts in the car after I've loaded, if not before. And, I also try to see each item as it scans. I also know approximately what total I'm expecting, so that helps me catch it.

I usually have a ball-park idea of what the final cost should be and if the total rings up to be significantly different, I will then scrutinize the receipt. I've found Meijer is worse at ringing things up at the wrong price. I rarely shop there any more because every single time, I'd be over-charged for something and instead of them fixing it right then, I have to go to customer service for it to be fixed. I've found Aldi to be the most accurate.

What kind of mistakes are you all finding? I am embarrassed to admit that I don't even know how much most of the items cost, so I wouldn't know if I were overcharged. I shop once a week and spend between $100-200 each visit, so I would never notice a small error.

I was only thinking about items being scanned more than once, but I guess now I have to think about incorrect prices also. :001_huh:

I try to always watch as the items are scanned and catch the mistakes that way. I do check the receipts and usually find at least one mistake. If there's a big mistake, I'll take it to customer service. If it's not a big mistake, I probably won't go back and say anything. It's just not worth the time or trouble to me. Also, sometimes items ring up for less than I expected, so I figure that balances it out. :)

I hate when the cashier starts checking my stuff while I'm still unloading the cart. I prefer to watch each item scanned so i can catch mistakes when they happen.

This bothers me, too. In fact, if possible, I try to pick a lane that is busy enough, but not too busy, so that I can get all my stuff unloaded before the cashier starts ringing it up. That way, I can watch as things are being rung up. That's how I find most of my errors.

What kind of mistakes are you all finding? I am embarrassed to admit that I don't even know how much most of the items cost, so I wouldn't know if I were overcharged. I shop once a week and spend between $100-200 each visit, so I would never notice a small error.

I was only thinking about items being scanned more than once, but I guess now I have to think about incorrect prices also. :001_huh:

Most of my errors are when there is something like "Buy 5 boxes of cereal get $5 off at checkout" and it doesn't credit properly, or sale prices not registering so items are being rung up at full price.

My father routinely gets "free" groceries, as he catches overcharges on, as a PP stated, 8 out of 10 receipts. He rarely catches Wal-Mart, though he has twice in the last month (maybe they're slipping!). He catches Kroger almost EVERY TIME he goes. In Michigan, you get the difference of the overcharged item plus bonus compensation of up to 10 times the difference (must be $1, but not more than $5). The law info is here.

The trick here is not to stop the cashier when you notice the overcharge. Wait until your transaction is complete and take the receipt to the service desk.

Unfortunately, I'm often rushed with kids, etc. and forget to check my own receipts. Imagine how many of us don't and how much money these stores are making off of it :glare:!

I check them because I find mistakes on almost every receipt. Mostly with sale items not registering correctly. My supermarket managers all know me and the kids by name and have no problem fixing the errors for me right away.

Ditto! and then I save the $ to eat out . It's often and sometimes for quite a lot of money (and of course sometimes just pennies). I could watch at the register but it goes by too quickly and I'm usually chatting but really, I like to get the money in my hand and then put it by. I usually save it until I get enough for us to go out for dinner or something. However, maybe it woud be fun to start now, with the new year, and see how much we get over the whole year.

nah, I doubt I'll do that.

But to answer your question: you betcha! It's like a game and if it doesn't pay of every single time, it certainly pays off often and often enough to be well worth it! Plus it's just good stewardship.

and I doubt if the fellow did it on purpose. He wouldn't benefit. That money goes into the drawer and is calculated against the receipts. It isnt' as if he could pocket the $. kwim?

My father routinely gets "free" groceries, as he catches overcharges on, as a PP stated, 8 out of 10 receipts. He rarely catches Wal-Mart, though he has twice in the last month (maybe they're slipping!). He catches Kroger almost EVERY TIME he goes. In Michigan, you get the difference of the overcharged item plus bonus compensation of up to 10 times the difference (must be $1, but not more than $5). The law info is here.

The trick here is not to stop the cashier when you notice the overcharge. Wait until your transaction is complete and take the receipt to the service desk.

Unfortunately, I'm often rushed with kids, etc. and forget to check my own receipts. Imagine how many of us don't and how much money these stores are making off of it :glare:!

My supermarket stopped offering that recently (I think b/c of me:lol:).

We usually check our receipts, but places we shop (Costco, Wal-Mart, Aldi, Food Lion, Lowe's, Home Depot and Target) make very few mistakes in our experience. Mistakes tend to happen more often when there is a special deal or we are purchasing a large quantity of something, so that is when we are most vigil. (Is that the proper use of 'vigil'?)

I check them because I find mistakes on almost every receipt. Mostly with sale items not registering correctly. My supermarket managers all know me and the kids by name and have no problem fixing the errors for me right away.

:iagree:

My experience is that if there is a sale purchase, there is an 80% chance of an error. (Particularly the "buy 5 and get $5 off" kind of sale.)

yeah, me too. I never paid attention unil I noticed a huge one like your steaks. So now, I just use my shopping list and jot down the price or price/lb next to the item on the list and keep an eye.

Sometimes I find that I'm charged for more items than I bought. For example, I might be charged for 8 potatoes when I bought 6 or I get charged for a lb of flour when I only got half a pound (I buy it in bulk). What happens most, though, is the cashier either mis-identified the produce/bulk item or typed in the wrong code or made a typo and I get charged for some rare, organic, heirloom produce item when I just got organic tomaoes or I get charged for (very, very, pricy) organic raspberries and I bought (much much, much less expensive) organic bananas or I bought conventional but got charged for organic. Stuff like that happens all the time.

Somehow a $15 package was charged three times. I know he didn't do it on purpose, but I'm wondering how often it happens inadvertently.

I think sometimes they get in a hurry and/or fumble when handling the package, and the bar code gets read extra times unintentionally.

I tend to check my receipts when the cashier appears to be butterfingery or new on the job. I also look if it's a very busy day at the store and the cashier seemed to be in a big hurry. If I know I bought something on clearance or deep discount, I try to watch as that item is scanned to be sure the proper price is charged.

All in all, in my personal experience, there have not been many duplicate charges that the cashier didn't realize and fix right away. Most of the few times it's happened have been at WalMart during the huge after-Christmas clearance sales.

Edited by AuntieM
spelling

I'd say I get an error on 8 of out 10 receipts. I try to check my receipts in the car after I've loaded, if not before. And, I also try to see each item as it scans. I also know approximately what total I'm expecting, so that helps me catch it.

This is what we do to.

At most places the thingy that shows you what rung up swivels and I turn it to face while I unload the cart. It annoys the cashier but in Oklahoma they have to let you see it as it scans. Dh just checks the receipt when he gets to the car if he is by himself, but if it is a family outing we aren't too thrilled to unload kids and go back in. So at those times we are extra aware at checkout.

Actually what really steams us are the other customers behind us who get their undies in a wad bc we don't just eat the cost mistake and move on. I'm thrilled they can afford to pay any price that rings up, but we cannot.

I always check my receipts. Like most other posters I try to watch as each item is rung up but sometimes I can't. Then I check my receipt before I walk out of the store. If I had to make a guess I find a mistake about 50% of the time. It drives dh crazy but to me it's the principle of the thing...I hate being charged the wrong price whether it's too high or too low.

I can't afford to not check my receipts, I am very careful what we spend on groceries and I know about what my total should be before I even get in line. I coupon, so I make sure all of my coupons come off. I could not even imagine just grabbing stuff off of the shelf and not comparing prices. Our whole grocery budget for the month is $350.00, I know people that can easily spend that a week. Not us.

I add the prices in my head as I place items on the belt, and if my estimate is off by more than a dollar, I stand in the store checking the receipt until I know why. I have gotten quite good at adding quickly and figuring out the weight of produce without using a scale!

I always take either my spouse or my son to the grocery store with me. That way I can watch the scanner while they unload the cart.

I watch every single item being scanned in order to catch mistakes as they are made. I have no problem holding up the entire process while they call a manager or whatever they need to do to get the price where it's supposed to be.

I only grocery shop once a month and it's usually an all day ordeal because I'm just slow like that . . . but I go early on weekday mornings so that it's usually pretty slow and the cashiers know me because I try to be very friendly with everyone so they are more inclined to help me out instead of try to get over on me :D.

I also watch closely to make sure I get credit for all of my coupons. I :001_wub: coupons.

Every time. Especially at Walmart. I'm usually still unloading the cart as they're scanning. A lot of times, if you leave the store they give you a hard time about fixing the discrepancy. I also check all my price matches and coupons. They don't always scan right and the cashiers aren't always diligent about typing them in. I don't blame the cashiers either, but that's why I check.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Numbers stick in my head very easily, so I always know how much stuff is suppose to be. I watch as they scan things and have them correct things right away. If the kids distract me, then I check the receipt before I leave the store. Sale items, and coupons seem to be the biggest problems the stores have around here. Or substitutions - that's a guaranteed argue with the checker over the price, but I have never not had them correct it. I'm not out to cheat the store, only get what is advertised. I have learned to always bring the sale flyers with me because I'd say at least 50% of the time, I have to pull it out and show them what the correct price/item on sale is because they won't believe me (which is silly because really they should know what is on sale each week).

Because of the price discrepancies, my husband does not do grocery shopping, he neither remembers prices nor checks receipts and if something rings up wrong (and he happens to notice) he won't bother to have them fix it. Obviously that's not good for our budget so I do all the shopping.

Absolutely.

I never paid much attention to grocery receipts until I started couponing/sale shopping 18 mos ago. Now I watch the screen as every item is scanned, and if sth is confusing I stop and read my whole receipt after check-out but before leaving the store.

Errors happen ALL THE TIME.

Buy One Get One sales often come up wrong. . . and if you are counting on that for buying a cart load of steaks or roasts. . . that is a pricey error. Clearance items often ring up wrong.

Double (triple!! in your case) scanning is also not uncommon.

Many groceries have correct price guarantees. . . If your steak episode had happened at my grocery, I'd have gotten it for FREE.

So, yes, absolutely, take the 2 - 5 min to watch the screen as your items are scanned. If you catch the error there, it is a cinch to fix for the cashier. If you get confused or distracted, check the entire receipt after check-out and walk over to customer service if there is an error. Even with my crazy receipts (100 items, 86 coupons, etc.) it only takes me a minute or two extra at check out time to make sure any errors are caught and rectified.

I keep very close track of my grocery total as I'm shopping. I would notice if my total at the register was more than about $2 off. I still glance at my receipt as I'm walking out of the store, just to double check. The stores where I shop the most almost never charge me the wrong price for anything: Costco, WinCo, and Walmart.

I also watch the screen as each item is rung up. AND, I separate my sale/coupon items from everything else, have them ring up the coupons, THEN let them ring everything else up. I've lost $5 or more here and there because of sales not ringing up correctly, or coupon discounts not taken off. (I will not discuss the time when I noticed a mistake while in the car, turned around and went back to the store with 10 boxes of cereal and my receipt. Or the time... oh, never mind.)

This past Tuesday the cashier entered the wrong code for the 10 avocadoes I was purchasing. If I hadn't looked at the screen at that moment, I wouldn't have noticed that I was being charged $18 for 10 pounds of tomatoes. :001_huh:

I have found errors when the cashier enters the wrong produce codes and correct produce codes that have the wrong price most often. Very, very rarely does something scan multiple times.

Agreeing with the others -- I "pull over" as soon as there's a clear spot when I leave the checkout lane and go over the receipt. I'd say I see a mistake 25%-30% of the time. The biggest one I remember is when I bought some garlic (3 small heads for $1) and they put in the code for elephant garlic or something. It came up to $18!! (when it should have been .66.) It must've been a large grocery bill overall because I would've noticed the price discrepancy right away if it had been under $50 to begin with.

One of our stores used to give you the item free if it rung up wrong (I got a free case of diapers once because of this), but they stopped doing that.

I think it goes without saying (but I'm going to say it, LOL) that if you find a mistake in YOUR favor, that too needs to be corrected.

Very, very rarely does something scan multiple times.

For me, something didn't scan multiple times, but I was charged twice for something. I was buying during a case lot sale, and one case was actually two trays. She counted each tray as a separate case. I pointed it out, she thought it was fixed (I turned away), but got to the car saw it was still there. Another about-face.

Numbers stick in my head very easily, so I always know how much stuff is suppose to be. I watch as they scan things and have them correct things right away. If the kids distract me, then I check the receipt before I leave the store.

I'm the same way - I usually know how much every item is supposed to be, so if it rings up incorrectly, I can stop the cashier right then and say something. Occasionally, I won't notice until after I've paid, but I always look at my receipts as we're walking out of the store. Our usual grocery store is pretty good about pricing, but it may occasionally be a sale item that doesn't ring up correctly. Walmart used to be really bad with prices, and especially on tortillas I buy there - every time they'd ring up a different price than what was on the shelf. They seem to be better lately, but I only shop there once every month or two.

I try to always watch as they are scanning and about a third of the time there is a mistake on something that was on sale. I often buy several of stuff that's on sale so the discrepancy can really add up. I have noticed that some of the checkout people notice if you are staring at their monitor but it probably makes them more careful.

DH isn't as careful and he once came home from Walmart with "bra" on the receipt. :lol: I asked him about it. I think they must have wrung in the last person's bra on his bill. Lucky there are no trust issues between us. In some homes this could have caused a problem LOL.

I knew of someone who worked in a grocery store and was desperate for more money and he was overbilling customers for months and pocketing the money until he was caught. I was very surprised that he was not fired.

I regularly find mistakes of all kinds -- sale item rings up as regular price, price doesn't match price on the shelf, and so on. I virtually always report it, because it completely irritates me.

Check the law of your state; some are more generous with "rewards" for you when the store overcharges you. If your state has such a consumer protection law, the store cannot simply stop doing it because they don't like it. Consumers don't like to be overcharged, either.

I check & I do find errors. I don't go grocery shopping frequently & when I do, it's $300-400 + at a time. I can't watch it being scanned (I shop in one those awful stores where I have to bag my own stuff), but I do keep track when I'm shopping & I check my receipt before leaving the store.

Most stores in Cda participate in the UPC scanning code of practice. If they charge you more than the displayed price, you get the item free if it's under $10 value, or for items over $10 in value you get the price adjusted & an additional $10 off.

It is best to let it ring up & then deal with it at customer service. Cashiers will do price check & just adjust the price but they generally don't know about the requirement to give the item free.

I have a sneaking suspicion that many items which are marked with endings like .89 or 95 cents ring up as .99 - which is to small a difference for most people to notice; but it would sure add up when you buy 200 items.....

Having items scanned more than once is a common mistake. That darned beeping noise is supposed to alert them but with the auditory overload there, I think cashiers don't notice it beeping more than once....

Our grocery store gives you the item free if it rings up more than it should, so I almost always check for that reason. I don't watch the scanner because I'm unloading or bagging or dealing with littles, and because I want to take advantage of that policy if there's a mistake!

I also pull off into a clear spot (love that seasonal merchandise alcove :D) and scan the receipt. Half the time it's their mistake, and half the time it's mine (bought the wrong type or size to get the sale price, for example). They love to put 12 ounce mozzarella cheese blocks on sale for a good price and then load the case with 16 ounce blocks for 3 times that price :glare: I've been caught a few times that way and immediately went to CS to get that straightened out! And of course, this last time, I didn't check, and two of the coffee tins I bought didn't come up at the sale price (probably my fault), but I was already home and buried in laundry before I spotted it! Never did go back *sigh*

But yes, 95% of the time, I go over the receipt in the store.

Yes, I look at the receipts or watch while things are scanning, and I often find mistakes. It is easy to remember the prices of things I buy normally, but sale items or things like storage containers or clothing are harder to remember by the time I get to the checkout area.

I aways check receipts but I don't often find errors. It might be because I most often shop at Publix and their policy is you get the the entire price of the item back plus you get it free.

I also check all of my bills, EOBs, cell phone itemizations and just about everything else.

I caught a Kroger mistake on a package of diapers once--full price instead of sale price. I went to the service desk to get it fixed and was surprised to get $5 back. I'm not sure if that was here in Ohio or in Michigan while we were visiting my parents there.

This is how I shop. I pay extra attention while sale items are being scanned and keep a store flyer with me because here lots of items don't get keyed into the store(s) computers and will ring up with the regular price.

I keep very close track of my grocery total as I'm shopping. I would notice if my total at the register was more than about $2 off. I still glance at my receipt as I'm walking out of the store, just to double check. The stores where I shop the most almost never charge me the wrong price for anything: Costco, WinCo, and Walmart.

At the store yesterday I happened to look at the screen just as the cashier was scanning my steaks. Somehow a $15 package was charged three times. I know he didn't do it on purpose, but I'm wondering how often it happens inadvertently. I never look at the receipts, but I'm wondering if I should start.

If you check them, how often do you find mistakes?

Yes, I do check. I frequently find errors. However, I also watch when things are scanned, so I can point it out before the sale is finalized. It is easier to correct it at the till than to have to go to a customer service desk.

I don't think there's any malice in the errors. Often, it is the result of inexperienced checkers, or pricing errors (where the shelf says a sale price but the item has been entered improperly in the system.)

The only place this really bugs me is at our little local grocery store. There is one girl there, who has been there a long time (and so should know better), but bless her heart! She's as dumb as dirt. She will routinely ring up packaged items as individual items (so if you buy a 6-pack of cola, she scans it 6 times!). She never seems to understand when you explain it to her, but will remove the extra scans. It is rare that she is at the till, but when she is, it's a nightmare. I think more people would complain, but she is the sister/sister-in-law of the store owners.