Menu

do you think our rights to homeschool......

Absolutely.

Look at what is happening with many other freedoms in Western democracies. Why would anyone think that those of us who keep our children out of government schools and those of us who demonstrate on a daily basis that we do a better job educating our children than government run schools would somehow remain exempt from the encroachment of government regulation?

As long as the states have the right to choose then Tx will be fine. We have to stay vigilant and contact our reps several times a year for various issues, but overall things are good. This has not always been the case in Tx, but for now it is. If the national gov't takes this right away (usually in the form of tax incentives) then we may be in trouble unless you happen to be a certified teacher (which I am not).

I do think they will be taken away in the near future. Especially if we ratify the UN rights of a child.

:iagree: And with the direction of our leadership (global versus national) there is a Good Chance we'll be following the UN like a puppy chasing bacon!

I do think they will either take our rights, or impose very strict regulation. Already, "modern" forms of educational home schooling are growing rapidly via the internet and University-style Academies. I can hear it already, "It's awfully easy for *those* schools to have to follow standards and *those* people to follow regulations and they are home schooling. You'll need to follow those standards, too."

It's coming. I just pray to either move and hide or graduate everyone before the time comes.

will be taken away from us? One of our homeschool groups is going to start to meet monthly to go over laws and become more proactive. They're getting nervous that the govt. is becoming too intrusive. Do you agree?

I never thought this could be a possibility in our lifetime.

I think there are many in our country's leadership who greatly admire the way that European nations have gone in the past 40 years, and would like to take our country in that direction as well. If you look at how homeschooling is currently being outlawed in European countries, that is what could happen here as well, if it's allowed to happen. I think it logically follows that if the government is given a larger and larger role in our lives, those in leadership would not want to allow something as crucial as education to be left in the hands of parents.

I think we do have many people here in the US who do not want to follow in their footsteps, and who will fight against having our freedoms curtailed, so I think there is a fighting chance, but I do think there are conflicts to come.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/washingtontimes/200906290.asp

Edited by Erica in PA

It could happen.

Which begs this question--If homeschooling became "illegal" would you still do it?

I don't know. :confused: Dh and I would have to regroup and look at our options. We'd have to weigh moving somewhere we could homeschool legally, versus sending the kids to private Christian school. If neither of them could work out, and the only choice was to homeschool secretly or put the kids in public school, it would be a very, very hard choice to make. I just pray it doesn't come to that, ever. Even if it were to happen when my kids are grown, it still devastates me to think that my children might not have the right to homeschool their own children someday, if they desire to. :crying:

I hope that the millions of homeschooling families in the US would stand together against that. If we did, there might be a chance of overcoming it. I also think that every election will be crucial in reversing the current direction.

movie was just released in NJ called The Cartel; it is a strong attack on the current state of NJ's schools. Its producer is a strong proponent of charters and vouchers. I think the movement in the USA is toward more individual choice in education, a more flexible grocery cart of options, both at the k-12 level and in higher ed as well.

The Cartel: http://www.thecartelmovie.com/

I think homeschooling will remain an option.

I do think they will be taken away in the near future. Especially if we ratify the UN rights of a child.

I would be interested in knowing how the progressives/liberals among us view this. I'm curious as to how a homeschooling parent who supports the UN Rights of a Child Act, and other actions that would make us more in line with the European nations, reconciles the two. Are you upset when you hear that Germany is outlawing homeschooling, and that other nations are strictly regulating it? Are you concerned that this could affect your homeschooling freedoms eventually? Or do you think that though it's affecting European countries in this way, homeschooling in the US won't be affected?

This might be a question for another thread, but I am really curious about this. I won't argue, just want to hear what your viewpoint is.

Homeschooling hasn't been a big thing in Europe in recent years so it was easy to outlaw. I think it would be difficult in the U.S.

:iagree:

For example, handguns are totally banned in the UK, but I don't see that ever happening here. Even if the UN resolution on the Rights of the Child were to be ratified by the US, I don't think it would have any effect on homeschooling. The resolution doesn't ban homeschooling, and there is a lot of leeway in how it's interpreted.

I'm not one of those who believes that the US government is engaged in some vast conspiracy to take away our rights and force our children into "government schools" for the purposes of indoctrination. I think the pushback against homeschooling comes more from teacher's unions and other groups with financial interests in preserving a public school monopoly than it does from the government. Many state governments are quite supportive of homeschooling, and I personally think the homeschooling movement will continue to grow at a rapid rate, along with charter schools and other educational alternatives.

Jackie

I don't think our rights as Canadians to homeschool will be taken completely away. However, Alberta has slowly been increasing it's regulations for homeschoolers over the years, and I heard something last week in alocal group that another revision is getting started right away. This year due to a change in how I registered I am feeling that grip of regulation much more. Next year I will revert to registering in the way that keeps the gov't out more. I do think that if hsing suddenly became illegal here in Alberta, I would be moving out of the province to another one that had no hs reg's. If that was not possible I certainly would continue homeschooling secretly.

vigilance is always a requirment to keeping any freedom(s)

complacentcy is the enemy of freedom

:D

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't believe our homeschooling freedoms are under attack to the degree that many have stated. However, "constant vigilance" is important. We have several people in our state who monitor proposed legislation for its impact on homeschooling freedoms and send out alerts when needed. When things come up that we disagree with, we contact our legislators to let them know how opposed we are. Being proactive is important. Getting to know your legislators is important. They work for us!

I have met with my legislators on several issues, some related to homeschooling. We have had some great discussions. I have been in a position to inform them in issues. In fact, dh will be meeting with our state representatives about some proposed ethics legislation (yeah, ethics in IL, what a joke!) that will seriously limit his ability to find work in his field of 20 years if he were to lose his present job. He would be forced to take a job as a greeter at Walmart as opposed to one as a civil enginerring project manager.

I have a friend who says most legislators love home schoolers - why?

Because we are the only demographic that brings cookies and says "We don't want you to do anything for us - just leave us alone!":D

ETA: it's very important to remember freedoms are very rarely actually just taken away.

It's a slow eating away. Make it harder by little measures until there's no measure left to take. All those little bits add up eventually. Give enough bits and eventually they have a whole.

Edited by Martha

No, not in my lifetime.

I would be interested in knowing how the progressives/liberals among us view this. I'm curious as to how a homeschooling parent who supports the UN Rights of a Child Act, and other actions that would make us more in line with the European nations, reconciles the two.

Democrat or liberal does not equal globalist. The labor unions and environmentalists are on the front lines of demonstrating against globalism. They are usually the ones being arrested at World Bank meetings and such, *not* conservatives. Also, I have posted a *lot* about what it means to ratify a UN resolution, I'm not going to post it again but I'm not worried about this being ratified in the US. I'm sure you could search for some of those threads.

For example, handguns are totally banned in the UK, but I don't see that ever happening here. Even if the UN resolution on the Rights of the Child were to be ratified by the US, I don't think it would have any effect on homeschooling. The resolution doesn't ban homeschooling, and there is a lot of leeway in how it's interpreted.

I'm not one of those who believes that the US government is engaged in some vast conspiracy to take away our rights and force our children into "government schools" for the purposes of indoctrination. I think the pushback against homeschooling comes more from teacher's unions and other groups with financial interests in preserving a public school monopoly than it does from the government. Many state governments are quite supportive of homeschooling, and I personally think the homeschooling movement will continue to grow at a rapid rate, along with charter schools and other educational alternatives.

Jackie

I believe it is always prudent to vigilant in protecting our rights. However, I do not believe that our homeschooling rights are going to disappear suddenly. I'm assuming this fear has escalated because of the new administration. Over the years in my state there have been regular threats against the homeschooling freedoms we enjoy. We have a very active group that is always out there fighting for homeschoolers. I will continue to be part of that, but not because I'm suddenly fearful about my rights being taken away. That said, I can see them slowing being deteriorated if we become complacent.

Janet

Jackie

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Plus with the rise of public cyber charter schools in my state, I believe the public schools would actually prefer us to homeschool instead of using a public cyber charter school due to the money it costs them;)

I agree with Martha.

I don't believe in vast government conspiracies (generally speaking). However, it's easy for me to see rights whittled and eroded away, all with the best of intentions and unfortunate short-sightedness.

Kindhearted vigilance is necessary for ALL our freedoms, including education and parental rights.

What I see in Germany and Sweden frightens me and makes me even more vigilant here.

Would I homeschool illegally? Hard to say. Depends on what alternative is available. If I had the option to choose a good private school I would probably do so. If my only option were the public schools, I would likely consider moving as I have no interest in living in a totalitarian state.

It could happen.

Which begs this question--If homeschooling became "illegal" would you still do it?

Depends on how old my children were. If older, like high school, probably not. Our oldest is going to public school, but she's well-grounded enough at this point that I don't worry. If it happened while the littles were still...well, little...then yes. Or maybe I'd turn into one of those pesky parents who is there All. The. Time.

I do believe our right to homeschool could erode if we aren't watchful.

For example, handguns are totally banned in the UK, but I don't see that ever happening here.

Jackie

Not to turn this into a freedom to bear arms thread but your argument does not hold, as in many places in the US handguns were banned. It was only after the Supreme Court upheld the Constitutional rights of Americans that the inhabitants of DC were given back their right to own a handgun and even so the DC government is doing everything in its power to nullify the SC decision. Chigago still denies Americans their rights as do some other cities. San F voted to outlaw handgun ownership.

There are something over 20,000 guns laws (Federal, State, Local) in the States and were it not for the tireless efforts of some Americans to preserve our freedoms there is little doubt that they would be gone.

Some 40% +/- of Americans own guns and their rights are under threat while at best 7% of students in the US are homeschooled so there is far less of a potential groundswell to protect our rights. I have seen precious little evidence to indicate that homeschool rights would not be sacrificed on the altar of getting a few votes.

Even if the UN resolution on the Rights of the Child were to be ratified by the US, I don't think it would have any effect on homeschooling. The resolution doesn't ban homeschooling, and there is a lot of leeway in how it's interpreted.

....and that is what scares me the most.

Is this what the thread is about?

http://www.unicef.org/crc/ (click on photo essay)

I read all of them and nowhere do I see or read that homeschooling would be vilified. In fact, in the picture of the photo essay on education it says:

"Articles 28 & 29: State signatories must recognize the right of the child to education [that develops] the child's personality, talents and mental and physical abilities. A girl studies at home, Turkey."

Maybe I'm politically challenged (believe me, I don't know much about the current political climate), but I don't see how this could be an attack on homeschooling. Worse comes to worse we just prove that homeschooling is an excellent way to develop the child's personality, talents and mental and physical abilities.

I don't think our rights as Canadians to homeschool will be taken completely away. However, Alberta has slowly been increasing it's regulations for homeschoolers over the years, and I heard something last week in alocal group that another revision is getting started right away. This year due to a change in how I registered I am feeling that grip of regulation much more. Next year I will revert to registering in the way that keeps the gov't out more. I do think that if hsing suddenly became illegal here in Alberta, I would be moving out of the province to another one that had no hs reg's. If that was not possible I certainly would continue homeschooling secretly.

You need more Mennonite homeschoolers in your province. Some of them won't even register for a SIN number, let alone let the govt. collect much data on them. The majority of hs'ers in my province are Mennonites. Here, it is still very hands off, but we don't get money for anything either. I'll take my privacy and pay for everything myself, thankyouverymuch. Does AB have an option like that -- no money, but no govt. in your face?

Edited by Audrey

I agree. Even the fear of the UN rights of the child thing has me baffled. I don't see anything in the information I have read regarding it that is any different than what is already in place in this country (even down to comments regarding education). How does that translate into homeschooling becoming illegal?

Throwing fear of the UNROTC in the mix in a red herring, IMO. There are always going to be people who want to be afraid even where no fear is warranted. I suppose everyone needs a hobby, eh?

I hope not, but my state is moving towards more and more regulations a little bit at a time. As a result, I'm considering opting out of our dual enrollment options next year.

will be taken away from us? One of our homeschool groups is going to start to meet monthly to go over laws and become more proactive. They're getting nervous that the govt. is becoming too intrusive. Do you agree?

I never thought this could be a possibility in our lifetime.

Canada signed on...and no impact has been felt by homeschoolers, at least not that I've heard of...the number of homeschooling families is consistently rising.

You need more Mennonite homeschoolers in your province. Some of them won't even register for a SIN number, let alone let the govt. collect much data on them. The majority of hs'ers in my province are Mennonites. Here, it is still very hands off, but we don't get money for anything either. I'll take my privacy and pay for everything myself, thankyouverymuch. Does AB have an option like that -- no money, but no govt. in your face?

Not that I know of. If you go 'traditional' aka don't agree to meet any AB outcomes, you still are entitled to $700/yr, and have one or two visits by a facilitator to show a portfolio to.

Personally, I don't mind it. I figure it cuts down on parents that pretend to hs and plops the kid in front of the tv or something.

I ditched and ran like Hades from a facilitator from He**. Thank heavens for board options!!

I think it is possible for some states to have problems, depending on who gets what bee in their bonnet. Most likely states with barely any rules or regs would fit in that category.. but it depends on the state... TX probably not... IL more likely. Middle of the road states (like OH, where I live) will probably be ok. For a while. I don't waste much time worrying about it though.

The difference between most of the world and the US is the ingrained sense of "personal freedoms". Much of the world doesn't get that, they just don't. They haven't been raised on it.

Anyway... I am getting off the subject!

I think that IF they outlawed it during my kids' educational years, I am sure that we could figure out a "private school" to enroll all the HS kids in the state, or nation if necessary.. that would really be all us still HSing, just calling it something else.

I am sorry, my husband made me a screwdriver and I shouldn't type during cocktail hour!

I think that IF they outlawed it during my kids' educational years, I am sure that we could figure out a "private school" to enroll all the HS kids in the state, or nation if necessary.. that would really be all us still HSing, just calling it something else.

:iagree: I think schools like Calvert would enjoy brisk business. No, I wouldn't enroll my kids in PS until HS (and then, only if they wanted to go). And no, I don't worry about losing my right to HS (I'm in California).

Yes, I believe it's possible. However, I'd be curious as to how they would define "homeschool" because I don't think it's as cut and dried as it seems to be. For example, here in California, we file a private school affadavit. I may be wrong about this, but I don't believe that on paper, we are any different than the local Christian school down the street, other than the fact that we have 2 students and they have 500. Also, I happen to be a credentialed teacher with a Master's Degree in Education, but not all regular private schools necessarily have credentialed teachers, so that can't be the dividing line. Are we homeschoolers because we happen to have school at home? What if we set up shop in my parents' barn and put out a sign that said Liberty Christian School? Would we then become a "real" Christian school and be "safe"?

Nope, they give you the choice of registering 1 or 3 ways, each with increasingly more gov't control but you can not opt out of any of it. If not registered with a board by sept 30 you can be charged with truancy and/or educational neglect. If you register after sept 30 you have all the gov't control but none of the funding that year.

Canada signed on...and no impact has been felt by homeschoolers, at least not that I've heard of...the number of homeschooling families is consistently rising.

Same with Australia and New Zealand. UNROAC has not made any difference to our rights to homeschool in either country.

I don't believe that homeschooling will be made illegal here in Australia, although I think that it may be more regulated in some areas (and I'm of the mindset that that's not necessarily a bad thing in our state)