Menu

Are your pets allowed on your furniture?

No and no and no.

No pets on furniture especially not in my bed.

If we didn't have terrible cat allergies, they still wouldn't be allowed to sleep in the beds because I don't like pet hair and not in my bed.

I think that for dogs, it is different than for cats. If they sleep in the same place with you, in their minds they are equal to you. For any dogs in my family / pack, the dog must always be lower in the pack than the smallest child. I think that treating dogs like people leads to dog behavior problems that would be avoided if we understood dogs betters. Cats of course cannot be convinced that they are lower in status than anyone or that they are part of a pack so they can only be taught to get off of furniture, not that they don't belong on it.

We have two cats and a dog and all three are allowed on all the furniture (well, the dog isn't allowed at the kitchen table or chairs!) and on the beds. One of the cats actually sleeps with the baby in his crib (yes, he is old enough that there is no danger he will be suffocated). I often wake in the morning with one husband, two children, two cats, and a dog in my bed...

I think that for dogs, it is different than for cats. If they sleep in the same place with you, in their minds they are equal to you. For any dogs in my family / pack, the dog must always be lower in the pack than the smallest child. I think that treating dogs like people leads to dog behavior problems that would be avoided if we understood dogs betters.

I agree that dogs are pack animals and must understand who is alpha. Our dog knows that all human members of our family are higher in the pack than she is, but she's still allowed to sleep on our bed.

I can think that it might not work for some dogs who are dominant to begin with, and must really, really be taught that the others are alpha and not them, but I think it works out just fine for non-dominants.

No pets on the furniture . Actually no pets allowed :0) We are a fur free family. We used to have a cat and she wasn't allowed anywhere above the ground. Cats being on furniture are actually worse to me than dogs because of paws in cat boxes tracking feces around the house, and the smell of cat urine. I know dogs go outside and can track stuff in to, but at least you can hope the didn't step in anything....you kinda have to assume a cat did...unless you clean the box constantly.

3 cats 2 dogs here. The cats pretty much have free reign with the exception of countertops and kitchen table. We usually have at least one in our bed every night- and they can stay as long as they don't bother me! One dog (our French Bulldog) is allowed on the couch. The other dog is not allowed on the couch because he is very hairy and sheds a lot- but he does sleep in my ds's bed.

3 cats 2 dogs here. The cats pretty much have free reign with the exception of countertops and kitchen table. We usually have at least one in our bed every night- and they can stay as long as they don't bother me! One dog (our French Bulldog) is allowed on the couch. The other dog is not allowed on the couch because he is very hairy and sheds a lot- but he does sleep in my ds's bed.

Oops...forgot the countertops! No dogs on the countertops and we don't let the cats up there either. I also try to keep the cats off the bookshelves, but that is a losing battle.

ds's bed. If I had to do it over again, I might not have allowed him on the couch. The bottom cushions are trashed. I'm not sure if it is from his claws when he jumps up or if it's just because the couch is old. He does love to snuggle with us on the couch while we're doing school and at night while we're watching t.v. and I wouldn't want to give that up!

He has also been a bit of a "therapy dog" at times, cuddling up to visitors who are upset or just needed a dog to pet. He wouldn't have been able to do that without being allowed on the furniture.

My son loves sleeping with him - it helps him feel safe and less lonely at night.

The fur is a problem - not as bad though with a beagle as with the cats we used to have. There is one fur-free chair in the livingroom that he is not allowed on and he's not allowed on our bed.

Blessings,

Sherri

The cats are not allowed on the dining room table or on food preparation services, but otherwise they have carte blanche. Typically one sleeps on me, one on DH, and the other either by DD the Youngest or between my knees. If we had a dog (which we don't and won't) it would probably be the same, though dogs have a way of taking over the bed... so we'd probably have to get a king.

If we didn't have kids, this would be my fantasy house. Unfortunately, most of the pics are currently offline. :(

We have no dogs (which I would LOVE), but currently have 1 cat and 3 ferrets.

We did have 3 cats for a while (while watching my sister's two) and then 2 cats until recently (watching my son's friend's cat)...and try as I might, I couldn't keep some of them off the fire place mantel, my piano, or on top of the ferret cage. They were allowed on all the couches and chairs, because good luck making any cat follow the rules!

However, when we let the ferrets out, if they climb up on a chair or we usually take them off of it. This isn't so much being worried about fur, but because they are little creatures, and a fall could hurt them.

The husband used to bring our cat into the bedroom all the time, until he was finally convinced that I didn't want the cat in there because of her fur - not just because I really don't like her that much. I try to keep the cat out of my kids' bedroom, but sometimes the 9 year old will sneak her in there.

We have 3 cats and 2 dogs. The cats are allowed on couches, chairs and our bed. They rarely sleep with us though because they will get between DH's legs and he ends up kicking them off in his sleep. They are definitely not allowed on counters and other food areas.

The dogs are not allowed on our bed at all. Not because of the fur, but more because of their size. One is 85-90 lbs. and if he were allowed on the bed there would be no room left for us. The other is oldest DD's and sleeps in her bed with her. They also are not allowed on the living room furniture, but are allowed on the love seat in the schoolroom.

Ella Bella our Border Collie sleeps in Ron's room at night on a heavy soft rug right beside his bed. During the day she enjoys hanging out on her soft, cozy doggy bed in the den. She has never been on furniture and I wouldn't allow it anyway.

No cats at our house.

Dogs are not allowed on the furniture, however once in a while the doggie is invited up in dd's bed, but NEVER when it is the doggie's idea!

No pet mice are allowed on the furniture, and if the wild ones that live in our walls make an appearance, they are dealt with severely!

The goldfish (and the tadpole that hasn't turned into a frog yet after 3 years) stay at home. They are not much into visiting us non-aquatic species.

The parakeet occasionally lands on the back of the chair, but she then jumps onto a head or shoulder where she is tolerated until she bites, then she's shooed away.

No and no and no. For any dogs in my family / pack, the dog must always be lower in the pack than the smallest child. I think that treating dogs like people leads to dog behavior problems that would be avoided if we understood dogs betters.

:iagree:We do not have animals in the house at all. But...when we did have dogs inside, this was us.

As for cats.....um....no offense to cat people, I grew up with cats in the house, but right now, the idea of a cat going in it's litter box and then jumping up on my kitchen counter is more then I can take. I would never again live with a cat in the house. Just visiting my daughter who has 2 cats in her apartment - was a challenge for me....YUCK!

Our dog is allowed on the beds, because the covers are washable. He's not allowed on the other furniture because the fabric is'nt washable and I refuse to have throws over them. We've never had problems with dominance issues, even when I had a super-alpha dog. But then I'm super-super alpha. :D

The dogs are not allowed on the furniture. The cat is. The dogs are not allowed in the beds, unless invited. But they don't go upstairs so it's not an issue. I told my kids that they are welcome to let the dogs sleep with them on their beds, but they don't.

The cat goes pretty much where ever she wants. But that is mostly my room and my bed.

dogs are not allowed on any furniture except their own dog beds(crib mattresses).

Cats are allowed on their cat stands, the back of the couch, or my children's beds(the foot of the bed, but I always find them under my daughters blankets).

The female cat is allowed on my bed but only at the foot area.

All bedding gets washed frequently anyway and the cats are indoor only, plus their litterboxes get cleaned numerous times a day so mess does not seem to happen much.

The cat is allowed anywhere except surfaces where food is eaten or prepared.

The dog is not allowed on any beds or furniture except one sofa in the basement.

The dog is much bigger then the cat, the dog can stink on occasion and the dog thinks that once she's allowed on a bed she has permission to get jiggy with the blankets and chew holes in them.

We've got four cats here and they go pretty much wherever they want. Yes, the cats even get up on the counter from time to time - there's a window there and when it's open, that's where one of them especially loves to sit, sticking his nose to the screen and inhaling outdoors. Also, the counter is the only way to get up on top of the cupboards - there's a space above the cupboards where they all *love* to sit. Cats have a thing about being up in the highest spot in the room.

I wash my counters before I start making food on them, so I don't really get the fuss. There's more germs on that doorknob you just touched. :tongue_smilie:

And yes, they sleep with us - whichever cat with whichever human. Or none. Depends on their mood.

Cat hair? Yep. I vacuum and sweep and sticky roll - but it's impossible to not have any around. I warn people, four cats live here ~ don't come visit wearing your fancy black pantsuit. ;)

Short Story--

When we first thought of getting a dog, dh threw out the idea of an "outside dog," which I promptly vetoed. We were thinking of getting a Golden Retriever, and they are definitely happiest inside, esp if there aren't any other dogs around. Anyway, about a month after we finally got Riley, I walked into the den to see him laying on the loveseat with his head in dh's lap--"'Outside dog,' eh?"

He's only allowed on the loveseat, and doesn't even go upstairs to the bedrooms unless he's having a bath. He doesn't go downstairs to the basement where the schoolroom is, either, unless you really coax him. We got him as a 7 month old, and we think that was the rule in his old home (and was probably impressed upon him with a broom or lots of shouting--he's pretty sensitive and very obedient).

And, we do have a cat, Lydia, who came first and knows it. She is the Queen of the Upstairs. She hates the dog, and has the run of the basement and the top floor. She can go on the beds (except mine, now that she's pee'd in my room) and often sleeps with my ds. When he goes to college, she's really going to miss him. As far as cleanliness, our cat constantly grooms herself, even on her feet (it's hysterical to see her spread her toes to clean them), so I don't worry about her tracking litter and poo everywhere.

We have a Shih Tzu who is not allowed on the furniture. She's actually only allowed in our school room (she has lost privileges to the rest of the house - long story). She does get to come into the dining room after dinner - we have a very messy toddler.

I wouldn't have a problem with a cat in the house - on certain pieces of furniture - but DH is extremely allergic, so we'll never have a cat.

No animals are EVER allowed in beds in our house.

4 shelties here, all of which are allowed on the furniture. They do, however know their pack status and are taught the command "off" from day one with us. As for the hair issue..... If you have one sheltie and brush them daily, you will *still* find dog hair all over everything. With 4, I figure I'm fighting a losing battle, so they may as well be allowed the run of the house. And they do get bathed/combed regularly, so at least the hair I do find is clean!

-Robin (Or should I start signing my posts "Crazy Dog Lady?")

We've got four cats here and they go pretty much wherever they want. Yes, the cats even get up on the counter from time to time - there's a window there and when it's open, that's where one of them especially loves to sit, sticking his nose to the screen and inhaling outdoors. Also, the counter is the only way to get up on top of the cupboards - there's a space above the cupboards where they all *love* to sit. Cats have a thing about being up in the highest spot in the room.

I wash my counters before I start making food on them, so I don't really get the fuss. There's more germs on that doorknob you just touched. :tongue_smilie:

And yes, they sleep with us - whichever cat with whichever human. Or none. Depends on their mood.

Cat hair? Yep. I vacuum and sweep and sticky roll - but it's impossible to not have any around. I warn people, four cats live here ~ don't come visit wearing your fancy black pantsuit. ;)

Yes, this is us! (Only with two cats instead of four).

We have a dog too (Australian Shepherd), and she's not allowed on any furniture. At night she usually sleeps in the hall outside our bedroom.

We have four cats, three of which are indoors most of the time. They go anywhere they want. Our old cat sleeps with me every night. The other two indoor cats sleep with the girls. Our dog sleeps in her crate every night, but during the day she is allowed on the furniture in the living room, but not in the bedrooms.

Cats get to go anywhere they want. After all, everything belongs to them; they just let us live here. :-) They don't get on the kitchen counters, though. I guess there's nothing interesting there, lol.

Dogs, no. Our first dog slept on my bed at night but didn't get on the rest of the furniture. The second dog was a greyhound. No furniture. Our current dog is a French bulldog. He does not get on any of the furniture; he has a bed in the living room and a crate in my office, and he sleeps variously on them and on the rugs in different parts of the house. He doesn't go upstairs. I don't think he knows anything about upstairs (he spent 5 years chained out in a backyard before he was rescued, poor guy), and his not going upstairs gives the cats a dog-free zone. :-)

We love our pets and provide very nice, comfy pet beds for them (currently we have 2 dogs). Plainly, dogs lay in the grass, they roll in the dirt, they shed and drool. I prefer not to sit or sleep in the grass, dirt, hair or slobber :) When my kids are dirty, I keep them off the furniture too.

1. My furniture needs to last as long as it can, no money for new.

2. I don't expect my guests to sit in any of the above either and would consider it rude if I had to sit on same.

3. Simply stated, animals are a bit dirtier than people (especially when you have a hound/lab puppy who LOVES, seriously LOVES, all things dirt and wet!)

We regularly lay with them on the floor, which is swept and/or vacuumed 2x daily. I have no problems with that, but please, don't bring your dirty, furry, shedding, wet self on my sofa, please :)

And my bed NO WAY! I prefer a natural state of sleep, iykwim, and I would prefer not to wake up with little hairs on my hiny!

We currently have 4 cats and a dog. The dog and one of the cats are heavy shedders.

I'm a cat person. My cats can be on any soft surface, so no counters or tables. I love having a cat share my pillow with me. I don't feel right without a cat cuddled with me. My dog used to be allowed on the couches and bed but not anymore for various reasons. He has a large cushy dog bed at the foot of the bed though.

If we didn't have kids, this would be my fantasy house. Unfortunately, most of the pics are currently offline. :(

Love that house! I've always thought it would be neat to have stairs and walkways for the cats.

Same here. The fur is a losing battle, but I've had animals since I was 4 (missed them during a 5 year stint without them) so I'm just used to it. I make sure people aren't allergic when I invite them over. With some people, we go to their house and they don't come here because of their allergies. Some people will take something before coming here and know that I always clean really well before they come to make it less bothersome.

Our 20 lb terrier is allowed on the sofas. If there is someone sitting there, he must be invited. He sleeps in our room but on his own bed in the corner. This prevents him from roaming the house and barking at squirrels or whatever in the early hours. Occasionally, one of the boys will take him into their room and he can sleep on their bed if he wishes. But he's an early riser, so the boys don't often want him!

Are they allowed to sleep in your bed or in dc's bed(s)?

Are cats allowed but not dogs?

2 chihuahuas - both used to sleep in our bed. 19yo dog now sleeps on a baby blanket on a cushion on the floor (she's blind, deaf, and fragile). Other dog still sleeps in bed with me and dh.

3 cats - sleep wherever they want. Just not in my bed. Also, climb wherever they want. Just not on the kitchen counters when I'm in there. Hate cat hair in my food. :ack2:

Cat is inside/outside guy--prefers outside at night (or at exactly 3am :tongue_smilie:) Allowed anywhere except kitchen counters and table. Rarely sleeps on a bed occupied by a human--he likes the MIDDLE! He also LOVES my computer keyboard--especially in the mornings while I am tutoring...grrr

Dogs are HUGE German Shepherds (also called German SHEDDERS). Absolutely NO furniture access! They are not allowed in the kid bedrooms--they may sleep on a dog bed by the master's fireplace--but only one at a time (first come basis)--we have other dog beds throughout the house--they like to be in the same room as people if possible. They are also NOT allowed in the kitchen or our home theater room--and they know it. I don't want to cook with a dog eye-level to the meat! --and the carpet in the theater room shows every hair (dark burgandy).

We have stained concrete floors (except for bedrooms and theater room). Hair FLIES on a daily basis. I swept yesterday--and this morning it looks like the great room has been neglected for years!.

No dogs on the furniture. Cats are allowed to do whatever they want except jump on my face at 3:00 am. That earns a trip to the birdy boiler (the kennel).

ETA: The cats are not allowed on kitchen counters. They can go on tables because they are always wiped before eating.

Edited by KidsHappen

Guinea pigs are not allowed on furniture unless they have a towel underneath them.

Our dog is allowed everywhere except the 11yo's and 13yo's bedrooms and the hallway between them. That's where the guinea pigs live. We gated that area off after the dog ate one of the hamsters that we had before the guinea pigs.

All of us (except my dh and the other pets) would love to have a cat (well, the dog would love to eat one), but my dh is horribly allergic.

The dog sleeps on the sofa in the living room at night. She makes too much noise to be in a bedroom.

My cats do whatever the heck they want because they own us. Though they do get yelled at for trying to get on the counters. One sleeps on either daughter's pillow and the other usually tries to sleep on dh.

The dogs aren't allowed on any furniture, and aren't allowed in the kids' bedrooms. That's partly b/c I'm afraid they'll choke on small toys and partly because we already gate that area off to keep the 2yo out.

If my dogs sat on my couch, I'd have to sit on the floor!

So long as my parents never read this thread, I can admit that our beagle is allowed on top of the bedspread, but never, ever directly on the sheets, blankets, or pillowcases.

These are "visiting privileges", however. She has her own beds on different floors of the house, which she uses throughout the day and at night.

We have only one "easy chair", and it is off limits to Hannah (the beagle).

The dogs aren't allowed, but I know they sneak onto the couch after we've all gone to bed :glare: I'm also pretty sure the cats have been sneaking onto the counters at night :glare: Which is great, because we only just started letting them in (they were my neighbors', until they moved and left the cats behind).

IOW, they aren't allowed on the furniture and they pay as much attention to that rule as my youngest does to the no eating after bed time rule.

2 dogs are not allowed on the couch. But I think they sneak up there from time to time. We made an exception once when our dd was needy to let her 90lb lab/redbone sleep at the foot of her queen bed. Somehow it got weaseled into a routine, but he must lay on a special blanket.