Menu

Movie honesty questions

Some of these thread have me thinking of things I've never thought of before, to be honest. But what about movie stuff. Example, I've always brought food into the movie theater. When dh was in med school and we were broke, I had a huge purse and we would bring a canned coke, microwaved popcorn into the dollar movie. (Now we don't drink soda.)

I have never bought candy there at all and we typically bring our halloween candy, Christmas candy, etc. since I don't buy it it is just what we get from grandparents.

We just went to Tuesday 4 dollar night with the 5 of us: 2 adults and children aged 14, 12 and 7. We got the movie deal that had one large drink and one large popcorn for 7 bucks. We got one for dh and me and one for the children and so that is what we ate and shared. We didn't need a refill, but I see no problem getting one (large offers free refills) if we needed it. So the 5 of us saw a movie with refreshments for 34 bucks.. not too bad, though not as good as Netflix. We only see 2 or 3 movies a year anyway..

Christine

What really irks me about movie theatres is that I stopped driking sodas, etc. for years and they wanted to charge me the price of a soda for tap water. I was paying for the cup, they said. $4.50 for a cup of disgusting tap water??????

We rarely get snacks at the movies unless it's just my husband and me. I have been known to bring my own snacks or bottled water, but rarely.

Roflol... Tangent, but this reminds me when my mom was taking my baby sister to one of those indoor bouncy/climbing places years ago. In winter, they went several times a week (my sister was a toddler, but the most active, athletic toddler I've ever seen). Every time, my mom took a lunch box with healthy food and a bottle of water. Right past the signs that said, "No outside food". ... I guess she was intimidating, 'cause none of the teenage employees said anything for a while. Then finally, one day, one of the very-slightly-older managers came to her and told her that there was a no outside food policy. My mom, who hates confrontation and is generally very much a rule follower (well, except for that whole home schooling in the 80s thing, lol), looked at this manager like he'd just asked her to stand on her head, looked over at the snack counter, blinked several times, looked back at the manager and said, "You expect me to feed that stuff to my *toddler*? You don't have a *single* healthy snack, you don't have fruit or carrot sticks, or cheese or yogurt, you don't have milk or juice. You have nachos with fake cheese, candy, and soda. You tell me what I'm supposed to do until you start serving food fit for children?!??"

That poor manager just backed away slowly muttering, "Yes, ma'am. I see, ma'am. Okay, ma'am. We'll see what we can do ma'am..."

lol...

I always feel slightly guilty when I bring outside food to a movie theatre. My girlfriend calls it "civil disobedience." Not sure what to do with that.

I have no problem sharing or splitting food, and hate when restaurants charge for splitting plates.

When I was pregnant with twins I faced down a guard at the Cubs game who did not want me to bring in my plastic bottle of water. I thrust out my very big belly and asked him what was I supposed to drink? Beer? I was not allowed soda by my doctor, either. He let me in with the bottle.

I do, now, buy one refillable popcorn....I also take some bags and once in our seats we pour the popcorn into the bags, pass them out, and go refill the popcorn before the film starts. AutismSillyBoy can eat an entire popcorn by himself and HATES to share from HIS bucket (plus he tends to place popcorn not perfect, after handling it, back into the bucket. Gross.)

Since I am paying a good $6 for that 20 cents worth of popped corn, I have no problem with refilling it.

When I was pregnant with twins I faced down a guard at the Cubs game who did not want me to bring in my plastic bottle of water. I thrust out my very big belly and asked him what was I supposed to drink? Beer? I was not allowed soda by my doctor, either. He let me in with the bottle.

I do, now, buy one refillable popcorn....I also take some bags and once in our seats we pour the popcorn into the bags, pass them out, and go refill the popcorn before the film starts. AutismSillyBoy can eat an entire popcorn by himself and HATES to share from HIS bucket (plus he tends to place popcorn not perfect, after handling it, back into the bucket. Gross.)

Since I am paying a good $6 for that 20 cents worth of popped corn, I have no problem with refilling it.

Hey -- that's a great idea! I need to remember to do this b/c we love getting the popcorn, but it's a pain passing it back and forth the entire movie.

Thanks! :D

Wow JFS! I do exactly the same thing and for exactly the same reason. My oldest LOVES popcorn and couldn't sit through a movie without it but has the same "issues" about popcorn hygiene. Brown paper sacks are the perfect solution.

My mom, who hates confrontation and is generally very much a rule follower (well, except for that whole home schooling in the 80s thing, lol), looked at this manager like he'd just asked her to stand on her head, looked over at the snack counter, blinked several times, looked back at the manager and said, "You expect me to feed that stuff to my *toddler*? You don't have a *single* healthy snack, you don't have fruit or carrot sticks, or cheese or yogurt, you don't have milk or juice. You have nachos with fake cheese, candy, and soda. You tell me what I'm supposed to do until you start serving food fit for children?!??"

Hah! Same for us at the ice skating rink!

Jane (who really likes your Mom, Abbey. I have made note that she is a fan of Dorothy Dunnett, the American Shakespeare Center, and healthy living)

Our theater has big plastic popcorn buckets. I have a friend who takes them home with her and brings them back and gets a $1 refill every time. The theater knows about it and figure if you are willing to keep the bucket they will refill it. I keep forgetting to bring the bucket home.

We bring in outside food. Actually, we've walked right through the front doors holding it and no one has said a word. I dont think I have actually seen a sign that says "no outside food or drink." I only have a treat once a week, so if I'm going to have my treat while at the movies, it is going to be something that I really really want. The movie theater does not sell any type of candy that I really like. So I bring my own. As for my kids, I usually bring them in some crackers, etc. I do not want them eating all of the junk that the movie theater offers.

...really likes your Mom, Abbey. I have made note that she is a fan of Dorothy Dunnett...

Lol... She's been trying to get me to read the Lymond Chronicles for about 15 years now. ;) Gave me the complete set at Christmas. I started a few days ago. I'm, uh, only 130 pages in, and I feel incredibly ill-equipped to read it (I feel like I know what 80% of the words mean, but often don't understand how they're strung together, and there's some reference that I don't know or understand on every other line, or a quote in a language I don't know, or when I *am* familiar with that language, the quote is in an archaic form that loses me)... But I'm starting to see how I *might* catch on to the appeal... ;)

Lol... She's been trying to get me to read the Lymond Chronicles for about 15 years now. ;) Gave me the complete set at Christmas. I started a few days ago. I'm, uh, only 130 pages in, and I feel incredibly ill-equipped to read it (I feel like I know what 80% of the words mean, but often don't understand how they're strung together, and there's some reference that I don't know or understand on every other line, or a quote in a language I don't know, or when I *am* familiar with that language, the quote is in an archaic form that loses me)... But I'm starting to see how I *might* catch on to the appeal... ;)

You need the Dorothy Dunnett Companion, Volume 1. I read the first Lymond book without it and was given the Companion books about half way through the second. My summer plan is to return to The Game of Kings with the Companion. Foreign language passages are explained (with puns and nuances), maps given, and references to minor historical events fleshed out. What an education in these books!

You need the Dorothy Dunnett Companion, Volume 1. I read the first Lymond book without it and was given the Companion books about half way through the second. My summer plan is to return to The Game of Kings with the Companion. Foreign language passages are explained (with puns and nuances), maps given, and references to minor historical events fleshed out. What an education in these books!

Thanks, Jane! I know Mom has a copy, and she's coming down to see the kids (lol -- I'm just not nearly as exciting) in a couple of weeks -- I'll ask her to bring it to me. :)

Thanks, Jane! I know Mom has a copy, and she's coming down to see the kids (lol -- I'm just not nearly as exciting) in a couple of weeks -- I'll ask her to bring it to me. :)

You could check your library, too, if she's using it. Ours has it, as well as several editions of the Dunnett books. I love being able to check out the 1960s books immediately, while the newer editions have waiting lists! It all depends on how the library linked them when entering them into the computer. The older ones don't have series info attached, so they are easier to get.

I've taken food in before, years ago when I was a kid. But now our theaters have a big sign "No outside food or drink". So we budget the concessions into our movie night. We usually only go about 2 times a year, but this year we've been four so far. We usually get two sodas and a popcorn for the three of us.

To me it is dishonest if they have a sign up and I'm training my son to obey the rules even if he doesn't agree with them. I really don't want him to get the mindset that the rules apply to everyone else but him.

Rarely, dd12 and I will go to a show - and usually, I'll bring my own snacks (I can't eat most of what they have there) and let her get the kids pack or something for a treat.. I haven't been to a *lot* of movie theaters, but the few we've been to didn't have any signs stating a rule against it anyway. :)

Our theatres (first run & reduced price) all have signs that say no outside food or drink.

In the first run theatre, they will give me small containers so we can share the large popcorn. They've also handed us more than one straw for one drink. I also have a frequency card that gives free popcorn on certain days.

Why is outside food dishonest? Our theater doesn't even stop you if you have a Chick-Fil-A cup or food court cup in your hand. I am not stealing a $4.00 box of Raisinets from the counter & then going into the theater... so I do not understand how it is dishonest.

Flipside: I think it is fraud & dishonest for stadiums and facilities to not let you have your own. They know it will be hot & crowded ..... and they can manipulate you to buy a $6 coke. Doesn't sound like honest business practices to me.

The theatres around request no outside food or drink so we go by their rules.

We usually share the largest popcorn which is refillable one time for $0.25. We also get the free water cups with ice in a drink carrier. I fill up the water cups at the fountain and use the drink carrier as an extra popcorn bucket for sharing. Sometimes when I remember I bring in my own water bottle to use to refill the kids' water cups so I don't have to get up and go to the water fountain during the movie.

BTW, my neighbors think I am nuts. They always buy their children a soda, candy and popcorn to share.

Why is outside food dishonest? Our theater doesn't even stop you if you have a Chick-Fil-A cup or food court cup in your hand. I am not stealing a $4.00 box of Raisinets from the counter & then going into the theater... so I do not understand how it is dishonest.

Flipside: I think it is fraud & dishonest for stadiums and facilities to not let you have your own. They know it will be hot & crowded ..... and they can manipulate you to buy a $6 coke. Doesn't sound like honest business practices to me.

Many theatres don't want you to bring in outside food because they make money on the concession sales. Our theatres have signs on the door that request no outside food or drink so it is pretty clear. Their establishment, their rules.

I think it is cool that there are theatres out there that let you bring your own food. Our zoo and water parks are that way and I love it because it saves us money and we eat healthier.

:iagree:

Our theater doesn't have anything that says no outside food or drink, although if they did I would have to question the legality, seeing as somehow they can sell me the same .50 candy bar they sell at the store for $3 or a med. soda and tiny popcorn for $8!

I rarely go to the theater but when I do I have my own snack. I don't bother with drinks I would be lucky to get through the whole movie!:D

Some of these thread have me thinking of things I've never thought of before, to be honest. But what about movie stuff. Example, I've always brought food into the movie theater. When dh was in med school and we were broke, I had a huge purse and we would bring a canned coke, microwaved popcorn into the dollar movie. (Now we don't drink soda.)

I have never bought candy there at all and we typically bring our halloween candy, Christmas candy, etc. since I don't buy it it is just what we get from grandparents.

We just went to Tuesday 4 dollar night with the 5 of us: 2 adults and children aged 14, 12 and 7. We got the movie deal that had one large drink and one large popcorn for 7 bucks. We got one for dh and me and one for the children and so that is what we ate and shared. We didn't need a refill, but I see no problem getting one (large offers free refills) if we needed it. So the 5 of us saw a movie with refreshments for 34 bucks.. not too bad, though not as good as Netflix. We only see 2 or 3 movies a year anyway..

Christine

I ABSOLUTELY do this. Movies are a rip off. You pay $4 for candy that normally costs 50 cents. In this one instance, I could care less if I am being "dishonest" because they are trying to rip me off! LOL

We eat right before we leave to the movie so we don't have an issue. We'll buy sodas, on occasion, and share them. The theater will provide small cups for this purpose. No one in my family is a huge fan of popcorn so we usually skip that.

The only time the movie food thing is an issue is when I'm pregnant. Because I tend towards hypoglycemic, I need high quality snacks and water before a movie is over. In that case, I carry a doctor's note from my midwife and have no problem bringing my own food and water in with it.

It's dishonest if they have a sign stating no outside food or drink and then bring it in. Our theater would stop you. Their establishment, their rules.

Here's a blog entry on the issue, with some interesting comments.

We rarely go to the movies (except this spring) and I just budget it in our expenses or we go without. No one in my family will die of thirst or hunger during a two hour movie showing.

I do agree about the stadiums and such. We're race fans and at one track you couldn't even bring in water. I found that rule horrid, especially in the midwest heat of July when you're planning on being there all day.

we only see a couple of movies a year and one of our favorite things to do is to buy a giant soda and extra giant popcorn and pass it back and forth down the aisle. Don't ask me whay this is fun, maybe because we don't drink sodas normally.

Also way before children, dh and I used to go to most of the Phillies homegames and we would bring in our own subs (the food there was gross) and the tickettakers at the gate were fine with that. I haven't been to the new sadium so don't know if they allow food it there or not.

Also I havent flown in about 3 years so don't know if passengers are still allowed to bring in their own food, but we always would bring in hot cheesesteaks (would even have other passengers offer to buy them from us lol). Also some of the passengers would bring in pizzas. Anything was better than buying the airline food.

Also I havent flown in about 3 years so don't know if passengers are still allowed to bring in their own food, but we always would bring in hot cheesesteaks (would even have other passengers offer to buy them from us lol). Also some of the passengers would bring in pizzas. Anything was better than buying the airline food.

You can still bring food...but not drinks, since you can't get past security with them. We travel a lot and always pack food - we try to bring something really yummy because too many times I have been jealous of the pizza or other tempting treat a fellow passenger is enjoying. Last time we brought muffaletta sandwiches, yum. (a little messy but worth it). Hot cheesesteaks sounds great!

We don't bring in food - we buy a refillable popcorn sometimes and I have no issues sharing it. Those huge tubs are meant to be shared (heck - one of our theatres calls it the family bucket, lol!)

I DO, however, bring in waters for the kids. They don't drink soda. I'll buy a big Dr Pepper for myself (lol), but I am not going to pay $4.50 for a tiny bottle of water. Just will not do it. I'll pay for their popcorn, pay for their gigantic sodas, but I will not pay for water. sorry. :lol:

This issue has had me wondering too. I HATE to pay so much for popcorn and candy and sodas when I know how cheap it is. Then again, no one is forcing me to buy it. I know they make huge profits from it, and that's what kills me. It's to the point now that our little family of 4 can't go to the movies anymore because between ticket prices and food, it's a $100 evening!:001_huh:

Last time we flew home from visiting my mom, she packed our family a lunch for our layover. The squished ham sandwiches were not appetizing, so we went to the McD's at the airport. $60 for 2 happy meals and 2 adult meals. AT McDONALDS. It still makes me sick.

But ultimately it's their business, their rules. I guess I better stop bringing in Skittles for the kids.:glare:

I do, now, buy one refillable popcorn....I also take some bags and once in our seats we pour the popcorn into the bags, pass them out, and go refill the popcorn before the film starts.

I am sooo stealin' that idea!!!!

And, yes, we do bring in outside snacks. It is so rare that I take my whole crew to a movie, and the treat part of it is such a *treat* for them, well, we just do it. Civil disobedience, I suppose, but hardly more criminal than the prices charged at the snack counter!

FWIW, I have not seen any signs posted at our local theaters banning outside food. But then, I haven't looked for such signs... next time I will look around and see if I can spot one.

Edited by AuntieM

We don't get to go to the movies very often, but when we do, we always get popcorn and drinks. We'll get the combo with the huge tub of popcorn and 2 large drinks, then I usually get another large drink for the girls to share. Sometimes I'll get the girls each their own "kiddie combo".

I have to admit, though, I have occasionally brought some candy in my purse. The candy at the movies is WAY too expensive. However, last time I did this my kids pointed out to me that we shouldn't have done that because it was wrong (I was embarrassed and proud at the same time, LOL); so we haven't done it again. We just get the popcorn and skip the candy :)

-Angie

The theaters don't make money off the sale of the movie ticket. The people in Hollywood get the profit from the ticket.

The theater itself makes money off the food they sell.

If there's a sign saying no outside food or drinks allowed, then it's really dishonest to sneak food and drink in. It just is.

And buying one popcorn with free refills and putting it in a paperbag to go get a free refill is dishonest. You're stealing that second bag of popcorn. It's theft.

We used to but now our theater searches your bags and will not let you in unless you throw it away in front of them. They even made me throw away my toddlers cheerios once. :glare:

We just got to the drive-in now. It cost 1/3 price and you can even bring a grill if you want to. Plus it is great to not have to worry about the kidlets bothering anyone.

Roflol... Tangent, but this reminds me when my mom was taking my baby sister to one of those indoor bouncy/climbing places years ago. In winter, they went several times a week (my sister was a toddler, but the most active, athletic toddler I've ever seen). Every time, my mom took a lunch box with healthy food and a bottle of water. Right past the signs that said, "No outside food". ... I guess she was intimidating, 'cause none of the teenage employees said anything for a while. Then finally, one day, one of the very-slightly-older managers came to her and told her that there was a no outside food policy. My mom, who hates confrontation and is generally very much a rule follower (well, except for that whole home schooling in the 80s thing, lol), looked at this manager like he'd just asked her to stand on her head, looked over at the snack counter, blinked several times, looked back at the manager and said, "You expect me to feed that stuff to my *toddler*? You don't have a *single* healthy snack, you don't have fruit or carrot sticks, or cheese or yogurt, you don't have milk or juice. You have nachos with fake cheese, candy, and soda. You tell me what I'm supposed to do until you start serving food fit for children?!??"

That poor manager just backed away slowly muttering, "Yes, ma'am. I see, ma'am. Okay, ma'am. We'll see what we can do ma'am..."

lol...

:lol::lol:

That is just too funny!

We always bring food for the kids to eat and at theatres that have signs posted, we just show them the kids medicalert bracelets and tell them they can't have the theatre food. We also bring blankets to cover the chairs with b/c their allergies are so severe they can have problems just touching the dirty seats so I think people take us pretty seriously. :)

Before food allergies, I would not have taken food in but my husband did. lol

The theaters don't make money off the sale of the movie ticket. The people in Hollywood get the profit from the ticket.

If there's a sign saying no outside food or drinks allowed, then it's really dishonest to sneak food and drink in. It just is.

And buying one popcorn with free refills and putting it in a paperbag to go get a free refill is dishonest. You're stealing that second bag of popcorn. It's theft.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how that is theft? They offer the free refill as an incentive to purchase that larger size. So if a large family comes in and purchases it, and gets a refill, how is that theft? All they have done is bring "containers" for each child to have their portion in.

Isn't that like saying that at a buffet you shouldn't refill your plate too many times? Yes, you shouldn't refill your plate to feed others at your table, but the theater places no such restriction on the purchase.

I don't get it?:confused:

At Harkins and AMC (family member has worked at both in the offices).....the theatres pay a royalty each time the show is played. I can't remember the "break even" point exactly, but it's pretty low....so when there is large handful of people they have broken even from ticket sales to pay for that showing of the movie. Obviously when the theatre is much fuller then they ARE making a profit. In other words, the theatre pays the same royalty whether there are 20 people in the theatre or 200.

The concession stands are therefore pure profit....of course it has to pay for that huge building, the massive electricity bill to keep it temperature controlled, employees, ads in the newspapers, etc etc. They typically get all those huge posters and props and such for free (ok, not free-free, but because they are showing that movie 'x' number of times it's a promo they receive).

We very seldom go to the movies anymore (except when said family member gives us free passes, lol). The price, even for the discounted matinee without food just doesn't make sense to us for most movies. By the time we've paid for everyone to go, we could have waited a month or two and bought the DVD. And then watched it a thousand times and made our own dollar worth of popcorn each time. And not had to deal with the idiots behind us who don't want to watch the movie, but want to carry on a conversation, lol. The exception is when it's the type of movie where it would just be spectacular to see on that huge screen.....but there haven't been many of those lately. Star Trek is one we'd like to see on the big screen, but I've heard conflicting reports about the age appropriateness, so we'll have to wait, borrow it from the library for parental viewing first. If it's good, we'll buy it. If not, I saved myself a LOT of money and headache. Of course, our family doesn't have cable TV either, so I guess you could say we aren't exactly Hollywood's favorite fans. We do own a LOT of DVDs though.

The movie theatre industry has been struggling for years......video rental companies started creeping into their profits 20+ years ago. Of course those were VHS and not great quality, so the movies were still popular.....DVDs made that less so.....big HD TVs have hurt it even more, and I understand this Blue Ray technology is vastly superior even over HD TV.....and therefore the reasons for going to the movie theatre are less and less. If you have a 52" screen in your living room, well it's smaller than the theatre, but heavens not by much, lol. Of course, you'll always have those that must be the first to see a movie....or teens where movies are a date night staple. And, compared to some other "date night" entertainment, a movie could be a bargain. Since I'm no longer a teen, thank heavens, and I don't usually even want to see 75% of the movies out, I don't worry about not being able to converse about the latest movie and stars. In fact, I hardly recognize any of the folks on the tabloids at the grocery check out, lol. I'm old.

Unfortunately the small family owned theatres are almost all gone around here.....pushed out by the massive 50plex. I still remember taking each of my children, in turn, to their first theatre movie at our little town's family owned theatre. If you told them it was the child's first time, they got to sit in a special red seat section (dead center of the theatre) and got a free box of popcorn. It made them feel so special. Of course, now-a-days you probably couldn't do that anymore because it would be everyone's "first time". I still remember joking with my husband when that theatre closed down that we couldn't have any more kids because I wouldn't be able to savor that tradition. Hmmm, and we haven't had any more kids.

No, they don't expect one person to eat that entire bin of popcorn AND get a refill, lol! It's meant to be shared, I promise you. Some theatres actually provide the paperbags for you - - look in the area with the extra napkins and disgusting yet delicious tub o' fake butter.

I've taken food in before, years ago when I was a kid. But now our theaters have a big sign "No outside food or drink". So we budget the concessions into our movie night. We usually only go about 2 times a year, but this year we've been four so far. We usually get two sodas and a popcorn for the three of us.

To me it is dishonest if they have a sign up and I'm training my son to obey the rules even if he doesn't agree with them. I really don't want him to get the mindset that the rules apply to everyone else but him.

:iagree: All the theaters around here have those signs so we buy there or eat before we go.

Hey -- that's a great idea! I need to remember to do this b/c we love getting the popcorn, but it's a pain passing it back and forth the entire movie.

Thanks! :D

Our theater gives us the little nacho trays to share the large popcorn. We didn't even ask the first time - they just asked if we needed them to share the popcorn. Makes movie food much more affordable - well, at least a little less horrifying to pay for.

If we're going to have a snack at the movie theater, we usually sneak it in. I would have no problem buying snacks there if they were the same price that they are at the supermarket. I don't usually let my kids drink soda and they don't sell juice boxes there, and I'm not about to pay $4.00 for bottled water I can get for $1.00 at the grocery store. It's a rip-off. The only time we end up buying food at the movies is if we take the kids to Chunky's. It's still over-priced, but at least it's a meal, and they tend to charge less for tickets there than they do at a regular movie theater.

I do take in a bit of candy and a bottle of water or juice. I would have no problem if the prices were more reasonable....even double the store would be fine, it is the 400+% markup over the regular store that I have an issue with. For $4, I like to buy a yummy quality chocolate, not Hershey's. The theater we go to doesn't have a sign but I have never asked.

I don't have a problem getting a "free refill" if one is offered. It is part of the product purchased and is figured into the cost. I also have no problem with sharing of any item purchased. Until they put up a sign that you have a soda and popcorn minimum purchase with movie ticker (like they do at live comedy shows or other performance) I feel that my purchases are mine to do with as I please.

We don't usually "sneak" food into the theater. I don't let my sons drink soda and they don't serve juice at the movie theaters here. Actually my oldest prefers water while my youngest drinks diluted juice. We'd rather use nalgene or camelbak bottles for our water. We have had no issues with theaters telling us that we could not bring water from home.

We buy a large popcorn and share it. They give us nacho containers to split the popcorn. It's rare that we get a refill but I have no qualms about that. The popcorn is being eaten.

We don't buy candy at the theater and don't sneak it in either.

We went to the movies Saturday night and I was shocked at how much it was! We paid $52 just for the tickets for a family of four! We had just eaten dinner so we didn't bother getting popcorn. We went to the movies again Sunday afternoon and spent less than $20 because we went on post. Because it's so inexpensive, we pretty much take the boys to almost every PG movie.

We no longer go to the movies so it really isn't an issue. My aspie son has some sensory issues and hates the volume at the theater.

We have done a few things in the past.....mostly we eat before so we aren't hungry. I have taken in food, but that was before I really got more honest about things like that. If there is a sign posted especially, I won't do it.

Dawn