Menu

As an adult, would you order a kid's meal?

This is a spin off on the thread about a child being too tall for a kid's meal. I would be good there as my almost 14dd is only 4'9" tall as is my 12dd.

On the flip side, would/do you as an adult order a kid's meal? I am not talking about lying about someone's age to get a cheaper buffet price, etc. but more at places where they have set kid's meals---McDonalds, Burger King, Arbies, Culvers, etc? How about sit down places?

Yes, and I DO. It is just enough food. In fact, I am old enough to remember when McDonalds served the same food that is now in a Happy Meal to adults and called it good. (I swear, I'm not 80 years old!)

A cheeseburger and a small fry are adequate for an adult.

Of course, it's even better with a Big Mac chaser! :drool:

Moot point, possibly. Unless times have changed, restaurants/fast-food places refuse to sell a child's meal to an adult (knowing that an adult will consume it, I mean). Exception is those establishments which advertise the "break" for senior citizens. (Age of definition will vary.)

I always order a Happy Meal at McDonald's. They used to have the All-American Meal which was basically the same as the Happy Meal but without the toy. When they stopped having that several workers suggested that I order a Happy Meal and I have ever since.

I don't eat fast food (McDonalds etc - can't, plus I don't eat meat) but I've ordered from the child's menu at other kinds of restaurants. I have a broken stomach (basically) and can't eat "normal size meals" (let alone restaurant size!), so I'll usually ask about ordering from the kids' menu for a smaller meal...haven't had too many problems. :)

This strikes me as sort of funny. At fast food places we don't even order our kids the kid's meal. My girls split a small drink, small fries, and 10 piece chicken mcnuggets, we don't want a toy. We find it's cheaper for them to split this than buy two happy meals. At more casual restaurants I usually don't want what's on the kids menu. A lot of times my girls will share a meal, or share with us. When we go out we are good about bringing home our leftovers and my dh will take them for lunch, so we don't mind the larger portions.

Melissa

I order them all the time. I have only had one place say no, and it was a small mom and pop hamburger stand. It used to be that kid meals were a lot cheaper, in the expectation that the parent was buying a meal along with it. Now it seams that they are almost as expensive as an adult meal.

I could never eat an entire adult meal. A kids meal is just about right.

Yes, because the meals at most chain restaurants are the size of 2 - 3 adult sized portions...and kids' meals are often bigger than a child should eat!

However, the kids meals are often junk -- deep fried pre-prepped stuff that the kitchen hasn't even made but have ordered from a food supply, soooo, hubby and I have been known to order an appetizer like bruschetta, then split a large Caesar Salad at, for example, Macaroni Grill, and it's been the perfect amount of food.

I should add that we RARELY RARELY go out anymore. We went to a great Greek restaurant here in Almost Mexico for Mother's Day and for the 4 of us (without dessert) it was over $70. Aaack!

Edited by BikeBookBread

At fast food places we don't even order our kids the kid's meal. My girls split a small drink, small fries, and 10 piece chicken mcnuggets, we don't want a toy. We find it's cheaper for them to split this than buy two happy meals.

:iagree: We usually don't want the cheap, junky toy. We do look first to see what toy is offered, but usually pass.

But as far as whether I'd order a kids' meal for myself, I don't usually. If I wanted to, I would if there were no age restrictions (there aren't any for any fast food restaurant I've ever seen). Sometimes coupons offered by those fast food restaurants have an age stipulation.

Some sit down places allow adults to order kids meals. I will order a kids meal if I'm not very hungry, but it's not the norm for me. Unless money is really tight, I'd rather order an adult meal and have leftovers to take home for the next day. Well, not fast food leftovers :ack2: - I meant from sit down places.

Yes, I have. Today actually at a fast food restaurant that didn't have a $1 menu. I just donate the toys to Goodwill later. If I just want something small they are usually perfect. At Macaroni Grill they have a grilled chicken breast with broccoli and pasta that I love on the kid's menu. I have asked if I could order it for myself and I am usually told I can. If not, it is so huge (sometimes bigger than my adult meal :001_huh:) that I will order it for my dd or ds, a salad for me, and finish what they don't eat (which is most of it).

All the time. Most places that have a set item for a set price will allow you to order whatever you want. The only places I have ever seen age restrictions are places like buffets or mongolian bar-b-ques in which there is a child's price and an adult price and even some of those places will allow two people to share one plate for a few dollars more. A fast food place nevers ask if a kid's meal is for a kid. The first time that asked me if it was for a girl or a boy though I was totally perplexed though. I asked them why they wanted to know. They wanted to know if they needed to give me a girl's toy or a boy's toy. Then I had to acutally see what the toys were because sometimes my little girls wanted cars not dolls. :auto:

When I was working before I had children and before I was allergic to beef and wheat, I used to get one often. The people who made fun of me the most for getting them almost invariably wanted to play with the toy! After making fun of them for making fun of me and then wanting to play with my toy, I would relent.

Yes, and I DO. It is just enough food. In fact, I am old enough to remember when McDonalds served the same food that is now in a Happy Meal to adults and called it good. (I swear, I'm not 80 years old!)

A cheeseburger and a small fry are adequate for an adult.

Of course, it's even better with a Big Mac chaser! :drool:

You have a great blog! :)

I order a kid's size shake at Silver Diner. I asked if that was allowed. The regular portions are in huge glasses AND they give you some more in the metal shake thing they make it in. It's just way too much ice cream in my opinion, and the kids' portions are just right.

At something like McDs, sure, why not? As far as a restaurant goes, I can honestly say that its never occurred to me. I so rarely eat out that its a really special occasion, so I order exactly what I want from the reg menu and doggie bag any left overs :D

Some sit down places don't allow adults to order kid's meals, so I don't do it there.

But I do order an occasional McD's Happy Meal--it's a lot less food, and that's good for me! No qualms there.

My sister buys herself Happy Meals for the same reason - and then saves the toys as treats for my dc!

Guest Katia

No, I don't. But I don't order a fast-food 'meal' for myself either. I just get a sandwich (no fries or drink) and I'm good to go. I always carry water with me.

I do with no qualms at McDonald's. They have no age restrictions and aren't selling them at a loss to lure in adults. A six-piece Happy Meal is just about right for me. The funny thing is that when I was 8 it wasn't enough for me! My sister and I would usually share a 20 piece and a large fry instead. I send the toys to my niece if they are something she'll like or donate them to Goodwill otherwise.

My mom was given a card after her gastric bipass that explains why she would/should order off the kids' menu. She rarely does though. I usually split something with her instead.

At fast food places I sometimes get the kids' meal. More often than not though I just order the sandwich.

I always order kid's meals at fast food places. None have ever told me I couldn't. Besides, how do they know it's for me or if it's for my kid at home? They don't care one way or the other.

As for sit-down places, I never do because it's never occurred to me. I like having the left overs for a meal the next day, anyway.

My older 2 boys (9 and 11) are now starting to eat adult meals. If we get them the kids' meal they tell me they are still hungry after eating it.

So, we don't eat out nearly as much as we used to.

Even at McDonald's it runs over $25 per visit.

Anyway, yes, I do get the kids' meals when I can (not in sit down places) because that is all I will eat.

The funny thing is that if they won't let me get the kids' meal, I typically order something to split with my youngest, so it all works out about the same price wise.

Wednesdays our local Burger King has .99 kids meals (no adult meal purchase required) so I will often go through and get 4 or 5 of them and the 3 boys will eat those up. We went last night. It is a special treat for them.

Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

I order kids meals at fast food places. I also order kid sized ice cream cones at ice cream parlors. I would like to do it at sit down restaurants but I haven't.

Check your prices at McDonalds. Here it is cheaper to buy 3 of the 4 pc. value menu nuggets than it is to buy the 10 pc. Might save you a bit of money.

This strikes me as sort of funny. At fast food places we don't even order our kids the kid's meal. My girls split a small drink, small fries, and 10 piece chicken mcnuggets,

Just for the record, I do at times order a kids meal for myself. I ask though if it is OK at sit down places, etc. Sometimes dd will get a kids meal and me an adult meal and then we split them between us as she likes some of what I am ordering as well.

Now we will do the value/dollar menu quite often as that is more reasonable at many fast food places.

I found out that for an extra 30 cents (free at some places) I can get a $1 McDouble with big mac sauce and lettuce added. I just order it with onions and extra pickle and then pay the 30 cents for the mac sauce and lettuce. For about 1/2 the cost of a Big Mac, I have myself a mini mac--same great taste, just less calories.

We have several restaurants here that allow adults to order kids meals. At one restaurant, it is a $1 extra for adults.

I order them at the places where it is acceptable (where it does not say kids meals are for kids ages # and younger). The portions are just what I need.

Besides at one of the restaurants (Culvers), you get a free frozen custard with the kids meal!

If they let me, I will.

Also, they have that kid's pack at the movies: it comes with a small amount of popcorn, a small drink, and a little bit of candy-maybe m&ms or gummi bears.

That movie kids' pack is PERFECT for me. I get the drink without ice so there's more drink. It's the perfect amount of popcorn so that I get that lovely popcorn taste, but don't eat until I'm sick. (Movie theater popcorn is my weakness...love the horrible stuff!) And then I top it off with the bit of chocolate. Ahhh. It's great. And it's only $5.

When we were staying in Japantown in San Francisco, I tried to get a kids' meal from the Denny's to take back to the hotel (only place open at the time in walking distance that we knew of and we were starving). Despite the fact that it was being purchased for a child (who was with me and 6 years old---hardly borderline anything) and along with two adult meals, they refused to sell me a kids' meal for takeout, told me we could only eat it there. Given that it was a set amount of food for a set price, it made zero sense to me and I haven't been back to Denny's since. I did consider sitting in the booth, ordering then asking them to box it all up as leftovers and leaving.

Sure, at McDonald's we all order kid's meals with the apples and white milk. It is just the right portion of food for me. At sit down restaurants I don't even order my children's food from the kid's menu (it's mostly just junk). I order adult meals and let my children share them.

Fast food places don't care if you order a kid's meal. I've bought plenty of kids meals without the children with me without a second thought. I was bring the meals home. No one has ever asked me who is eating the kids meal. Is there something dishonest about ordering a kids meal for yourself? It's just a smaller meal, but not cheaper.

Some of our local fast food places will allow an adult to order a kids meal and I do. Our Olive Garden will let an adult order a "lunch" portion, which is smaller at dinner. I guess this is not an issue for me yet because I have a younger child still able to order the kids meal. She often prefers the adult portion though. So, I get a kids meal for me and a full size for her.

Bill, I totally agree with you. LoupeLou, I agree with you too :001_smile:

I do prefer Chick Fil A even though it costs an arm and leg to eat there. The dc can get the fruit option.

Why? Oh why? Oh why, would a "kid's meal" ("Happy" Meal) include deep-fried foods like French Fries?

Is there anything less healthful to feed to children (or anyone else)?

Bill

All the fast food places I can think of offer a fruit option instead of the fries. We get burger/sandwich/nuggets + fruit option + milk. We don't eat fast food very often, but we're definitely glad for the better options.