Menu

S/O: Ramen snobbery...what are you a snob about?

That tag cracked me up in the other thread. So, what are you snobby about? Fess up!

I'll go first:

Meat and dairy. I like it all natural and organic, respectively.

I prefer a specific brand of clothing (in part because of the quality and style, but mostly because I never have to worry about coordinating my outfits since everything pretty much goes together).

I don't like messy feet.

Like I said in the ramen post I'm a blue pen snob. Can't stand to use anything but blue pens :)

I'm also a hair snob (or so my dh says). He says I don't like blondes. Which is really not true. I married a blonde (his hair is getting darker, I call that bait and switch). I do get a bit offened when a brunette dyes her hair blonde. Nothing wrong with brown hair.

Also, I do not like it when people have hairstyles where their hair is in their eyes. I want to go and brush it off of their face. Can't stand it!

These might not be snobbery things as much as weird quirks.

Kelly

Like I said in the ramen post I'm a blue pen snob. Can't stand to use anything but blue pens :)

I'm also a hair snob (or so my dh says). He says I don't like blondes. Which is really not true. I married a blonde (his hair is getting darker, I call that bait and switch). I do get a bit offened when a brunette dyes her hair blonde. Nothing wrong with brown hair.

Also, I do not like it when people have hairstyles where their hair is in their eyes. I want to go and brush it off of their face. Can't stand it!

These might not be snobbery things as much as weird quirks.

Kelly

blue pens here only too.

I am a big food snob.

No corn syrup, white sugar, nitrates, white (processed, bleached ) flour,

or most any food that is artificially preserved, has chemicals or additives.

We eat pretty healthy but also eat things like bacon (natural w/o nitrates)

gravy (made with whole wheat flour, it is actually yummy and tastes like the white version) organic candy made with agave or honey etc..

I just really do not like processed, chemically altered or artificial foods.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Hardback books. It's an expensive form of snobbery but I just cannot stand paperbacks. How I wish I could change. I must change! I'm working on it. Amazon's 4 for 3 promotion is like medication for my problem. :D

Hardback books. It's an expensive form of snobbery but I just cannot stand paperbacks. How I wish I could change. I must change! I'm working on it. Amazon's 4 for 3 promotion is like medication for my problem. :D

Books here, too. But I like paperbacks. They must be trade paperbacks, though. No mass-market pbs, and absolutely no movie covers.

I am a fabric snob. I refuse to buy cheap fabric for a quilt project. I will buy quality fabric on sale and try to as much as possible to make my quilting dollars go further. I feel that if I am going to put in my time and energy to make a quilt then I want it to be one that will hold up well to use.

It is a good thing I now work at a quilt shop so I get a discount. Feed the addiction, feed the addiction! :tongue_smilie:

I am a tea snob. I must have loose leaf, no bag tea. I have a favorite tea place which will mix my favorite tea for me when I ask and if I HAVE to use a bag, I get irritable. I don't like coffee and don't drink soda (except Pepsi on occassion), so tea is my drink and I like it the way I like it.

I know Ramen is not good for us but we eat every once in a blue moon.

I also like all of our foods to be organic but I haven't reached the snob stage yet but give me a little more time and I may reach that point.

Mashed taters. Must be from scratch. Also cookies, cake, pie - scratch only.

Now - even as I type this brownies from a box are in the oven - I have yet to find a recipe as good as Duncan Hines!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and if it was made in widescreen a film must be viewed in widescreen. No "full-frame" DVDs for moi!!!

Chocolate.

Gotta be the good stuff.

I agree! And I cannot stand any chocolate besides dark chocolate, and the darker the better :)

I'm also extremely picky about any type of sweets (baked goods, candy, etc.) I don't eat candy, and rarely enjoy very many desserts (other than what I make myself) because they're often too sweet.

Oh, and there's the hydrogenated fats, artificial colors, MSG, and stuff like that too. . .

Beer. It can't be Bud or Coors. Microbrews are the best.

Nothing on my Thanksgiving or Christmas table can be pre prepared. It has to be all made from scratch, esp. the dressing. No stovetop for me!

Yarn. If I'm going to spend my time making something, then I want it to last. (unlike the first pair of socks I made with a 80% acrylic and 20% wool blend that the person at the yarn store said would make good socks with. Yea, holes within 10 minutes of wearing them.)

Walmart. Can't shop there. No way, no how.

Forgot- pens. I hate blue or black. Uck. I need some color to my life, but I'll settle for blue if it's not the regular shade of blue. I do hate gel pens though.

Spam(the canned-not email kind)

Vienna sausages

Bologna

Other "lunch meats" with odd, icky things imbedded in it

Vocabulary - and related to that the over use of cuss words past the teen/experimental years

Very limited use of academic "busy work"

Pencils - cheap pencils are the bane of my existence (hyperbole somewhat)

Intelligent sounding responses to homeschooling issues in the media. There have been dozens of people I don't want to speak for me, thank you

Good, solid poker

Dishwashing products

Mayo - hellmans only!!

I agree! And I cannot stand any chocolate besides dark chocolate, and the darker the better :)

I'm also extremely picky about any type of sweets (baked goods, candy, etc.) I don't eat candy, and rarely enjoy very many desserts (other than what I make myself) because they're often too sweet.

Oh, and there's the hydrogenated fats, artificial colors, MSG, and stuff like that too. . .

I won't touch anything Hershey, American made candy bars, etc. REALLY good stuff. I too prefer the dark chocolate.

I prefer a specific brand of clothing (in part because of the quality and style, but mostly because I never have to worry about coordinating my outfits since everything pretty much goes together).

Do share.

I'm a snob about skin care products.

As also posted by others I'm a food snob. None of the bad stuff.

I have several of these. Any and all meat either publix greenwise or Laura's beef. only boneless, skinless chicken breast. Orange juice only tropicana or simply orange.

Purses is another one of those things. Like someone said I like 1 good high quality over 5 cheaper ones.

Cleaners only 409, tide, windex. Only bounty paper towels. Soap for me only handmade oatmeal I buy at the health food store.

There are many more I am sure but these are the ones that come to mind.

Tomato snob.

My dad grew the best tomatoes and I now refuse to eat an unripe, out-of-season, mealy, colorless, flavorless tomato.

Have you heard "Harvest Time" on Prairie Home Companion? If not, try itunes or perhaps youtube. You will *love* it. "...sorry, hard-as-rocks, thick-skinned, store-bought tomatoes...."

"Cheese. Processed cheese like slices or velveeta rarely get in my house." :lol: Velveeta is a "fine cheese product" according to my dh. blech

We are now milk snobs because dd is milking the goat. :001_smile: No more store bought cow milk for us.

For my dc, I'm a real food snob. I don't want them eating prepared foods. I want them using a certain kind of shampoo and toothpaste with no chemicals.

I'm a computer snob...only a Mac will work here.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm a diamond snob.:lol: Dh wants to buy me, and I would love, a new, bigger diamond. (My engagement and wedding rings are the only jewelry I ever remember to wear.) But I will only accept a certain cut, carat, clarity and color. Of course, we's too pore to buy what I want, so my being a snob is biting me in the back end.:glare: Perhaps when I come down off my high horse I'll get a new rock. :001_smile:

I think I'm pretty flexible on most other items. :)

Toilet paper (The new thick Quilted Northern) and facial tissues (Kleenex Ultra).

I hear ya! I bought Earth's Best or some such once and my darling husband threatened me with all sorts of retribution if I ever tried that again. He said he felt like he was doing penance every time he wiped.

Barb

I am a horse snob.

I cannot ride the local "trail" horse. I only ride large TB hunters or very large warmbloods with huge strides. (hence I have not ridden in many years:lol:)

I am also a pizza snob. I will eat frozen or chain pizza (Pizza Hut) under diuress but I much prefer mom and pop New York style pizza where they know what scamozza is.

And kosher hot dogs only thank you very much, preferably Hebrew National.

5 months on a gestational diabetic, bean based diet has made me an uber snob about beans. Don't feed me tinned beans. I'm also beginning to get snobby about tinned tomato products. I guess after eating beans three times a day for months, I believe I'm entitled to REAL FOOD!

:)

Rosie

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebuettnerfamily viewpost.gif

Do share.

I like GAP. I try to shop the online sale.

I guess toilet paper is a good one, too. We only use Kleenex Cottonelle. I bought Publix Greenwise once. It was not a good thing!

Organic/all natural meat and dairy (and eggs) are mine too. I'll buy other kinds when absolutely necessary, but I won't be happy about it. Organic fruit and veggies are up there as well, though again, I'll buy the conventional kind when I absolutely must.

And clothing is mine too. I won't buy Target/Walmart clothes for myself (they shrink badly and don't fit properly after a few washings :glare:), and I'll buy only a few basic things there for the kids. Poor quality clothing drives me nuts! I bought some cute T-shirts at Target for DD a few months ago, and within three washings the embellishments were coming off, they always look rumpled, the seams are uneven--gah! It's Eddie Bauer for me (love the options in different cuts and sizing) and usually Gymboree/Gap for the kids. Thank goodness for me, our local Gymbo is freestanding and doesn't get nearly the foor traffic the mall ones do, so I shop their clearance sales and clean the place out. Last week (with a Gymbuck) I paid $80 for 16 items of clothing, including two dresses and two pairs of sunglasses for this summer at the beach.

I'm not proud of it, but there you go!

Total food snob:

No processed, chemical laden foods here. Pretty much the rule here is if you can not pronounce or know what an ingredient is you shouldn't be eating it. But I do miss Yodel's an Ring Dings and Chocolate Pop Tarts.

Eggs from the farm-store bought are just not as good. Poultry also comes from the farm.

Cheese-raw milk is best.

Chocolate-the darker the better

Fruits & vegetables-I am a locavore. If it isn't in season it is not on our plates (well as much as possible)

Mayo- there is only Hellman's. I will eat Trader Joe's but it is not as good.

Ketchup-Heinz

Pizza- I do not know how anyone eats Papa John's or Pizza Hut or Dominoes or any other mass produced pizza. Pizza is supposed to come from a local pizzaria.

Ice Cream-Breyer's

Honey-raw and local

and for all you blue ink pen people-pens should only have black ink in them. :)

I am the most picky about fabrics. My clothes and dh's come predominately from Eddie Bauer. Ds is Gap and Quicksilver, dd10 is eclectic and likes second hand stores, and dd2 lives in Gymboree. Sheets must be high thread counts, over 400 for all beds. Towels must be quality cotton.

I like brand name diapers and Kirkland wipes.

I like new socks, no holes, stains better be light or out they go!

I like quality chocolate, amber beer (Ropewalk is my new fave), and quality tea.

I like Tillamook brand cheese.

I don't eat fake 'anything' food. mashed potatoes, mac and cheese etc.

Ill stop there because there are getting to be too many to list :tongue_smilie:

Oh, my... I think I embrace just about all of the already-mentioned forms of snobbery. What does that make me, Uber Snob? (And can somebody pu-lease get me a link so I can use proper marks on this board??? Really? An umlat? Maybe an accent ague? Please?)

Food: Yes, the tomatoes, processed food, food that is not food, only Kraft mayo (and I have really, really tried to like the other, natural brands), super-premium ice cream, nothing from a box mix... I will not drink beer that is available in a can (whether the one presented to me is in a can, bottle, or a draught). The only exception is Guinness. It is a grudging concession. I do not eat "cheese food". I have the following canned (tinned) items in my pantry: tuna, coconut milk, chipotle peppers in adobo.

There are also the office supplies, the toilet paper, the trash bags, the clothes (fit and fabric - always natural fibers), textiles, yarn (wool or alpaca only, please... maybe some silk), cooking implements, appliances, ... Books? You bet. Hardcover. Trade paper in a pinch but, again, it's a grudging concession.

I hate wrinkles. I press sheets. (I may need to translate that into Latin for a slogan)

I think the inability to keep your pants up or lift your feet while "walking" is a direct reflection of poor character. Ditto using bad table manners, or "checking" one's body parts in public. No, I don't care if a person can identify a shrimp fork, but please use a utensil for the salad and chew without showing off the fruits of your labor.

I think I need an intervention. Who opened this can of worms?