Menu

S/O: Ramen snobbery...what are you a snob about?

Oh, my... I think I embrace just about all of the already-mentioned forms of snobbery. What does that make me, Uber Snob?... I think I need an intervention. Who opened this can of worms?

The first step on the road to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem. We're here for you, Friend.

Like I said in the ramen post I'm a blue pen snob. Can't stand to use anything but blue pens :)

I'm a BLACK pen snob! I absolutely HATE blue pens. I recently sorted through our pen box and gave away all the blue ones--now I know where I should have sent them!:D

Oh my goodness ladies, I have a problem and I had no idea right up until this very moment. I am a total food and household product snob. Just about every food has to exactly the right brand and type. Examples:

Ketchup - Heinz

Ice cream - Haagen Dazs

Beer - Corona

Milk - Purity Sweet Acidophilus

Sweets - Only the best of every thing.

Examples of household products

Tide

A specific kind of Dawn

TP - Only Charmin Ultra Strong

only certain feminine products

Pens - Must be either gel ink or a really heavy pen

Clothes

Bras - Only one specfic kind from VA

Undies - must be cotton high cut briefs with no tags

Jeans - must be regular rise slim cut

I could go on all night. I had no idea I was so picky. No wonder I drive my hubby crazy. He must be a saint for even trying to shop for me. I must remember to thank him.

Pastries.....I can't stand the kind of bakeries that make desserts that only taste like one thing--sweet. It seems to me they're still going to a fair amount of work to make the pastries, can't they at least try to make them taste good too? Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of wonderful bakeries out there too. It's just the other kind seems more common. Even in Paris, I noticed pastry shops that were just so so.

I am picky about my produce, especially veggies. If it doesn't look fresh I'd rather not eat it.

I don't like fake mashed potatoes, guacamole or things like that. Gotta be the real thing.

I also gravitate toward certain brands and have a hard time deviating from them.

I shudder at the thought of iceberg lettuce, which was the only kind I ever ate growing up. I also am a cheese snob -- real, local, or gourmet from abroad is fine..... but I ate lots of velveeta growing up, which just makes my skin crawl now. I don't even understand the lemon and lime "juice" that comes in those little plastic squeeze things. Cream of anything soup also makes me cringe.I even have memories of some foods I liked made with those, but they are outnumbered by memories of things that were really appalling. McDonald's is a big issue for me. My kids ate some yogurt there once while I let them play in the playroom, and they have begged to go back. I have a whole thing about McDonald's being a slippery slope to them eating no produce and all HFCS-laden white flour junk, although I know plenty of kids who have it once in a while and eat very well most of the time.

Dairy. Real butter---in fact, if it's on sale, Land O' Lakes butter! :D

I so agree! I get my butter from a local gristmill and they sell AMISH butter. It is so yummy and pure! I love it.

I always would buy land o lakes before that though

Better real, pure butter than oil and "fake" butter.

Oh my goodness ladies, I have a problem and I had no idea right up until this very moment. I am a total food and household product snob. Just about every food has to exactly the right brand and type. Examples:

Beer - Corona

OOOOH! We have something in common. I forgot what a beer snob I am. I LOVE Corona. IT is a total weakness for me. I have had all kinds of microbrews, pales, ales, home made and still nothing comes close to my Corona.

Okay...Now for the real question....Lite or Extra?????

Mostly food snob:

Any commercially canned soup, especially cream of crap soup is verbotten in my presence.

If I want canned soup, I've got a pantry full that I canned myself.

For that matter, I won't buy any canned vegetables either. I either can it or freeze it myself, or buy fresh. I can't stand the thought of eating vegetables that I haven't seen whole and fresh with my own eyes.

I won't buy canned beans either. I will tolerate buying dried and cook them from scratch, but I prefer the ones we grew and dried ourselves.

Must be real butter.

I'm also a snob about my day planner.

Edited by Audrey

Strawberries-I grew up where they are grown in CA and won't even buy them if I can't smell them and know they were grown in the right place....

Apples-I lived on an apple farm in sonoma co. and am pretty much spoiled for appples...only want a fresh gravenstein, which you can't get many places....

Banana Bread-I only eat what I make because it is the best....

Lemonade-it must taste fresh squeezed....powder cannot be lemonade!

I will not buy American cheese, Parmesan in the green can, or (shudder) Velveeta. Good sharp cheddar, smoked gouda, a nice Dubliner white cheddar, good Romano freshly grated each time. And we live in wine country, so we love to find excellent yet lower cost wines.

I was a major clothing and purse snob. Now that times are tight I am having to rehab myself. Good thing I have a stockpile:tongue_smilie:. Seriously though, I am trying to reprioritize my entire life and see that maybe I am ok with other brands. However, I honestly believe some brands are worth the extra money in the long run.

I am not a food snob, and I could careless what pen I have, as long as it writes.

Homemade pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving with real whipping cream. I will not eat the pies from the store--just gross! :D

Couldn't agree more.

When my sister got married my mom had fifty or so pumpkins to do up (who got stuck putting them up?)... but that's okay because most of it ended up in my freezer! We cook our pumpkin pie with "real pumpkin", I wouldn't ever eat pumpkin pie any other way!

OOOOH! We have something in common. I forgot what a beer snob I am. I LOVE Corona. IT is a total weakness for me. I have had all kinds of microbrews, pales, ales, home made and still nothing comes close to my Corona.

Okay...Now for the real question....Lite or Extra?????

Lite, of course. :D

I'm also a snob about my day planner.

Oh, man. I forgot about the planner. Yup, I've got that one, too.

I was a major clothing and purse snob. Now that times are tight I am having to rehab myself. Good thing I have a stockpile:tongue_smilie:. Seriously though, I am trying to reprioritize my entire life and see that maybe I am ok with other brands. However, I honestly believe some brands are worth the extra money in the long run.

Not to be a total enabler, but I agree. In fact, I am sitting here wearing a sweater I've had for more than 20 years.