Menu

What name do you children call their father?

My kids call dh "Dad" or "Daddy". I call my dad "Pa" My kids call him "Papa" mostly because dh's dad is "Grandpa" and this helps keep them straight, but also my dad is kind of short so his friends always called him "smurf" We though Papa was fitting for a "smurf" LOL:tongue_smilie:

We're a papa family here. I always called my dad papa when I was tiny- after his dad died (whom we all called Papa as well), he insisted I call him dad. Never cared for that as much as Papa, so when the Dude and I got together, I asked him if he would be papa, and so it has been. The kids call him dad every now and again, now that they are teens, but he will always be their Papa to me.

LB

My father was called papa by the little girl who he helped raised for several years who almost became his stepdaughter. (They still maintain a father-child relationship.) This girl already called her biological father (who she saw twice a year or so) dad/dy. I suspect that's why you're seeing it so often. Many children these days have more than one paternal figure with whom they are close enough for such names.

Daddy. I'm still Mamma (since Daddy has 2 d's, I needed 2 m's). Those are the names that we both prefer, but we both know they won't call us that forever, although I figure I have a better chance of it than he does, especially with the boys.

I call my Dad "Daddy", although I didn't all the way through my teenage years- unless I wanted something :D. I wonder if this isn't a southern thing? My Dad is "Pappy" to the children- a name he chose. He didn't care for the traditional southern Papaw.

DH and I both remember saying "mom" and "dad" in that irritated teenager voice. We didn't want to be called those names for that reason. I disliked "mommy" for some reason. Probably because I heard it in my head as whiny. Without warning, my "baby" at almost 4 called me Mommy out of the blue the other day and I just melted.

I guess the moral of this rambling post is that we don't really care what they call us, as long as it is with love.

When my first dd was a baby I taught her to say "papa" for her dad. I thought it was so cute. My mom thought it was weird until she heard my dd say it and then was sad when my kids started calling him dad.

We used "papa" and "mama". They call my dad "pops" and my dh's dad "grandpa".

Kelly

Edited by kwiech

I only know one family, of all the many, many families I know (California, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, Washington), where the children call their father "Papa." And they're born-and-bred U.S. folks, on both sides for many generations.

My dc call their father "Dad." When they were little it was "Daddy." This is true for most people I know.

I grew up calling my parents Mom and Dad (Mommy and Daddy when I was younger). Our kids call my husband Papa. I think they call my husband Papa because he is French Canadian. Once in a blue moon, they will refer to him as Daddy. It is usually a long drawn out Daaaaaaaaddddddddy if he is being silly. My father is Grampy and my husband's father is Grand-Pere.

My sister and I called our parents Mummy and Daddy right up until I had my first child. Since then we have called them Granny and Granda.

I have been called Mummy since that time, dh is Daddy.

My sister recently had her first child and she has told me that she finds it hard to remember that she is Mummy and I am Auntie, not the other way around, after years of calling me Mummy and herself Auntie.

I suppose our family is just too lazy to use more than one name per person.:lol::lol:

My sons call their father Papa and his father Papa (first name). When my husband was growing up, he called his father Papa and his grandfather Papa (first name) too.

My husband's father is Italian, so I think it's a cultural thing. My husband asked me when we had kids if they could call him Papa, and at first I thought it a little odd, but now it is quite endearing. As a result, I am Mama instead of mommy, which I also prefer. Our oldest is nearly 7, so I'm sure they'll modify their names for us as they get older, but so far we are Papa and Mama. The grandparents are Grandma, Grandpa, Papa (name), Abuela and Abuelo, so no confusion there.

...people of all ages tend to call their fathers "Daddy". People I know who are from the north tend to call their fathers "Daddy" only when they are very young, and begin to say "Dad" when they are a bit older. Of course, here in the south, we tend to call our mothers "Mama", while northerners I've known always say "Mom" or occasionally "Ma". I've always wondered why.

Dh is Persian, so he is Baba, sometimes Dad, and sometimes the same nickname I call him.

My boys call me Mom.

My mom is Gigi. My step-father is Papa (insert name). My dad is D.D. My MIL is Aziz. My FIL is Baba Haji. My xMIL is Grammy and xFIL is Daddy (insert name).

My father's mother is my Mimi. My kids call her Granny Mimi, because they have an Aunt Mimi and a cousin Mimi.

Gone but Not Forgotten

My father's father was Paw-paw. My mother's mother was Nana. My mother's step-mother was Grandmama. My mother's father was Granddaddy. My paternal mother's mother was Granny. My maternal father's mother was Maw-maw and maternal father's father was Dad- everyone called him Dad.

Mandy