Menu

s/o Any boardies that have become really well-known or are now celebrities?

Hannah

Of course we have our own Susan Wise Bauer. 

Then there is Ree Drummond who first announced her new "Confessions of a Pioneer woman" blog here in about 2004/5.

Anyone else?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

There’s the boardie whose mom became suddenly super famous for winning all those cooking ribbons at the county fair and ended up on the media circuit. I’m suddenly forgetting whose mom that is, which I feel bad about!

• Like 17
  • Haha 5

Mayim Bialik emailed me a couple of times about Jewish homeschooling. Does that make me famous?

😜

My DH is in the same university department as Gov Dukakis. He's a very nice, down to earth man. 

🤪

Edited by YaelAldrich
I really can spell
  • Like 16

I am not a celebrity by any stretch. I am known within the classical and sacred music realm of the Great Lakes region, but I don't give identifying info on an open forum like this. For a decade after I left college, the video of my master class with Ian Hobson was used as a teaching tool in a lot of piano departments as the right way to approach interpreting Rachmaninoff. But then VHS went out of vogue, and I don't think it was concerted to CD/DvD. 

I had a few other exploits like stepping in to conduct an orchestra at the very last second for a big fundraiser for children's music education when the conductor(not nationally famous, but regionally quite well known) suffered a medical crisis five minutes before performance time. There were youth players in the orchestra, and it was being televised, and the concertmaster wanted someone to step in who knew some of the youth so they would feel more at ease. I was very hesitant, though I did know a significant number of the youth players. That was a real fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants moment because I was going to conduct while sight reading the scores! I have never been so nervous in all my life. However, everyone was obviously so well rehearsed that they didn't need me really other than to get them going, cut offs, tempo changes, just a few spots to keep the kids from getting off. Not a lot else. They knew what they were doing!

My eldest son is very well known on a specific subject of academic writing and has 21 papers published in peer reviewed journals. However, writing about ancient history doesn't really earn notoriety with the general public. Celebrity status is definitely not coming his way. I keep telling him to lay off the "nerd writing" in order to pull a "Christopher Paolini" so the whole family can retire by sponging off him. He just rolls his eyes at me! 😉

😂😂😂

So that all adds up to NOT celebrity!

Oh, here. Maybe our daughter is a celebrity. When she was 2 years old, we were invited to a huge Agricultural event/banquet and we didn't have a babysitter, so we took her along since it was advertised for families. She was chosen from among all the kids in attendance to have her picture taken with Orville Redenbacher. He was so frail at that point in his life that Mark insisted on being in the photo in order to support Mr. Redenbacher's arms because he was afraid she would be dropped! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Logan Guleff's mom used to post here. He's a former Masterchef Junior winner and pretty well known in culinary circles.  (He was in my mythology club at the time his season was airing, which was pretty cool...)

• Like 8

Years ago there were rumors that a famous homeschooling celebrity was a poster here. People were trying to figure out her user name and others were saying leave it be, she deserves privacy. For the life of me I can't remember who that celebrity was. Any other old timers remember this? Do you remember who it was?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Years ago there were rumors that a famous homeschooling celebrity was a poster here. People were trying to figure out her user name and others were saying leave it be, she deserves privacy. For the life of me I can't remember who that celebrity was. Any other old timers remember this? Do you remember who it was?

I have the vaguest memory of this--and for some reason I'm thinking Lisa Whelchel?

17 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

My recollection of that event was that it was never (publicly) determined? If we’re talking about the same thing, a known poster here shared they had been in public (a cruise? Restaurant? I can’t remember) and saw someone who is a celebrity and then could see that they were reading the forums on their phone. For the privacy of the celebrity, they didn’t want to share who it was. Which I thought was appropriate. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Susan Wise Bauer said:

I have the vaguest memory of this--and for some reason I'm thinking Lisa Whelchel?

Oh, I think that might’ve been a different incident than the one I’m thinking of then. But now that you say that, I’m remembering that name coming up here long long ago. 

26 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I remember the "talk".  Some thought Lisa Whelchel?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KSera said:

My recollection of that event was that it was never (publicly) determined? If we’re talking about the same thing, a known poster here shared they had been in public (a cruise? Restaurant? I can’t remember) and saw someone who is a celebrity and then could see that they were reading the forums on their phone. For the privacy of the celebrity, they didn’t want to share who it was. Which I thought was appropriate. 

Oh, yes. I think that's what I'm remembering. I forgot about that aspect of it until reading your post.

1 hour ago, Susan Wise Bauer said:

That sounds about right.

On 3/21/2024 at 11:46 AM, Hannah said:

Of course we have our own Susan Wise Bauer. 

Then there is Ree Drummond who first announced her new "Confessions of a Pioneer woman" blog here in about 2004/5.

Anyone else?

I didn’t know that about the pioneer woman

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

nm. I think I remember wrong

Edited by KeriJ

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I didn’t know that about the pioneer woman

At the time many people started blogging. She put in a lot of effort and kept at it consistently. What drew people in was her fun way of writing about her everyday life on the ranch and her great photographs. 

I googled it and she won a national blogging award in 2009. I'm not sure if she was still on the boards then, but there was a lot of excitement that one of our own had made it. It also led to some jealousy and spoof blogs, unfortunately.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I remember this, but I don't remember the name.  I definitely remember this though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KSera said:

I remember that. I remember it as an airport. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

11 hours ago, Susan Wise Bauer said:

Ok is this the gal who was eating poutine somewhere? And the whole thread about her rabbit trailed into what the heck is poutine anyway and how could anyone like the stuff?

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, KSera said:

It was in an airport in Canada, and they were eating poutine and reading the forum on their phone.

How in the world I remember that detail, I have zero idea, other than I remember trying to figure out how to pronounce poutine, and to this day, I couldn't tell you. 😄 

ETA: I think we might be talking about two different celebs. One in the airport and the other one a (sometime) poster.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Ok is this the gal who was eating poutine somewhere? And the whole thread about her rabbit trailed into what is the heck is poutine anyway and how could anyone like the stuff?

Ha, sorry @Grace Hopper. I hadn't seen that you posted. It's nice I'm not the only one who remembers that story!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Ok is this the gal who was eating poutine somewhere? And the whole thread about her rabbit trailed into what is the heck is poutine anyway and how could anyone like the stuff?

1 minute ago, Halftime Hope said:

It was in an airport in Canada, and they were eating poutine and reading the forum on their phone.

How in the world I remember that detail, I have zero idea, other than I remember trying to figure out how to pronounce poutine, and to this day, I couldn't tell you. 😄 

Amazing memories, you two! I remember about poutine now, but never would have pulled that out on my own. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Ha, sorry @Grace Hopper. I hadn't seen that you posted. It's nice I'm not the only one who remembers that story!

I def remember the poutine. It was the first time I’d ever heard of it. The WTM forums are nothing if not educational.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

On 3/21/2024 at 7:08 PM, KSera said:

There’s the boardie whose mom became suddenly super famous for winning all those cooking ribbons at the county fair and ended up on the media circuit. I’m suddenly forgetting whose mom that is, which I feel bad about!

🙋‍♀️

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

I do remember that story. I think about it whenever I eat poutine, which, granted, is not often. But I had poutine from a food truck at a huge Christmas craft show in Bethlehem and that image of a poster eating poutine in Canada with a “very famous celebrity” came instantly to mind. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, freesia said:

I remember that. I remember it as an airport. 

I remember it being an airport in Canada, and she was eating Poutine while reading the forums. 

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Starr said:

And there’s Newfoundland poutine for a change . 😂

I just googled this and is it fries, cheese, stove top stuffing and gravy??? Omgosh I am going to make this Monday.

I know you have to be vague, but the mysteries are driving me crazy!

A boardie was on jeopardy. I can picture their avatar but can’t remember the name

Edited by saraha
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, saraha said:

I just googled this and is it fries, cheese, stove top stuffing and gravy??? Omgosh I am going to make this Monday.

I know you have to be vague, but the mysteries are driving me crazy!

It is! Although generally just gravy and stuffing over fries. The stuffing is a little drier than you would normally make it. I think it could be the new thanksgiving menu item. 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since Elizabeth86 mentioned not knowing about it, Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman) was a regular here in the very early days, back when the boards were in their first incarnation and would flip. She had a few kids, but I think she had one more after riding off into the sunset.  She and MM were already married obviously, and she was homeschooling. Before she published High Heels to Tractor Wheels, she debuted it here chapter by chapter. (This was long before she had the blog. Her board handle was PW (or PDub?) and she did sign her posts as Ree. Fun times! 🙂 

• Like 5

On 3/22/2024 at 9:33 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

Does this count?

My son had an episode of ifish made on his shark fishing. Just about everyone in Australia seems to have seen it. Wherever he goes people recognise him.

My son would love to know that 🙂 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wathe said:

I had poutine (the real kind: fries topped with fresh cheese curds and gravy) for supper tonight!

I have nothing else to add to this thread.  Carry on.  🙂

My dd20 is on her way to the store to buy fries and a jar of gravy. She was in charge of meals today since my back is out. I was telling my kids about Newfoundland poutine, as they like fries with gravy, but not with the cheese curds, and she decided that was going to be part of lunch for today. 😆

On topic, there was a boardie on jeopardy. I can’t remember her name but her picture was her avatar I think

• Like 4