Menu

What's your grandma name?

1 minute ago, Harriet Vane said:

I have no grandchildren, but I have thought it would be nice to be called Gran. It's simple and classic. My kids called their beloved grandma "Grammy" so I feel weird taking on that name. 

Yes, our family already has Grandma, Nana, Nan. I wanted something Grandma-y, but not overlapping with other established names. 

• Like 1

I have no idea but I am just now feeling ready to start moving in the direction of grandchildren. But oldest kids aren’t married yet but they are 24 and 26 and in long term relationships and I at least need some shiny hardware sometime soon. 

I don’t care what they call me! My oldest are boys so I am just in the game of being the most pleasant and agreeable future MIL to the girlfriends and I will just be pleased to be included in their lives. I wouldn’t mind the traditional Grandma but I kinda like Mimi. We are not from the south (but live here now) so Memaw doesn’t feel like it fits me at all but I will go by whatever they want to call me as long as they are calling me!

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have no idea but I am just now feeling ready to start moving in the direction of grandchildren. But oldest kids aren’t married yet but they are 24 and 26 and in long term relationships and I at least need some shiny hardware sometime soon. 

I don’t care what they call me! My oldest are boys so I am just in the game of being the most pleasant and agreeable future MIL to the girlfriends and I will just be pleased to be included in their lives. I wouldn’t mind the traditional Grandma but I kinda like Mimi. We are not from the south so Memaw doesn’t feel like it fits me at all but I will go by whatever they want to call me as long as they are calling me!

Same re the bold. 

I feel SO grateful to be so involved in my new grandson's life. 

• Like 1

I am grandma, and our grands have two other grandmas that they also call Grandma.  When they need clarification, we’re Grandma Last Name (like when we’re all together). 
The added kicker is they also called their great grandmas ‘grandma’. 
Super creative, right?       I would have liked to have been called Oma which is what I called mine, but I was in my 40’s when I became a grandma and Oma seemed like an old lady name. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Oh, that's lovely. How did that come about?

Not sure. I just always liked it and there wasn’t one in the family. My mom is Nana and Grandma. Our grandsons other grandparents are Nanny and  papaw. 

• Like 1

Right now I’m going with Grandma, but I have one grandson who isn’t talking yet so I’m open to him giving me a name.  I thought we’d be Nanna and Papa, but my daughter and SIL are using Mama and Papa so that doesn’t work. Since the grandpa title suits DH so well, I figured I should match and be grandma. 

My mother, and dgs’s other grandma both go by Grammy. 

• Like 1

In my family we have or had: grandma, grammie, gram, nana, nana (pronounced differently, with two short a’s). I can’t think of anything else. Oh! Terry. We just all call her by her name.

• Like 1

We are vacationing now near ds #2 and tonight we are going to visit with him and his girlfriend and his girlfriend’s sister and brother-in-law who just had a baby 5 weeks ago. The girlfriend and her sister are not super close to their own mom and I have jokingly been calling this baby my Grandbaby-in-law and I sent shower gifts etc. 

I’m excited to meet this baby tonight 😊 and thinking maybe I should gently inquire as to what the real grandparents are being called…because whoever has a baby first is going to set precedent…maybe I should start laying some groundwork. lol. 

• Like 3

In my family of origin and my own kids we use Grandmother and Grandfather for maternal side and Grandma/Grandpa for paternal so I will be Grandmother. Can't wait!

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2

Marmee. Our grandson had, at the time of his arrival, six grandmas/great grandmas alive so it was important to figure out some names so he could keep them all straight. I felt too young to be a grandma 😁 (47 at that time), and decided if I had to be a grandma then I would like to be like the Susan Sarandon version of Marmee when I finally grew up. I really like that name now, and it sounds so adorable coming out of the mouths of the now 8 and 4 year old grands. T is only a year so he isn't saying it yet.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Marmee. Our grandson had, at the time of his arrival, six grandmas/great grandmas alive so it was important to figure out some names so he could keep them all straight. I felt too young to be a grandma 😁 (47 at that time), and decided if I had to be a grandma then I would like to be like the Susan Sarandon version of Marmee when I finally grew up. I really like that name now, and it sounds so adorable coming out of the mouths of the now 8 and 4 year old grands. T is only a year so he isn't saying it yet.

Marmee is lovely 😊

• Like 2

Mumzy.    (jump to 9:35 or so here, with Michael Palin in Ripping Yarns.)
And yes, this skit is from an older generation (1976) & mixes murder in with the jokes.

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

They can call me what they want. I don’t care. 

My kids had little grandma ( barely 5’ tall), grandma, grandma with the dogs and grandma with the cats.

All just called grandma unless they needed to specify. 

• Like 1

I’m not there yet, either, but need to drop this here because it makes me laugh every time.

Aaaack, trying to link again. It’s the Southern Thing YouTube video of grandma name shopping. I can’t link it. Maybe someone else can.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

We don't have any grandkids yet.  But I'm thinking that if they ask me, I'll tell them Me Ma (pronounced mee maw) like we called my favorite grandmother when I was a kid.

But I guess it's kind of up to the parents since they know all the other relatives and what they're called.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I’m not there yet, either, but need to drop this here because it makes me laugh every time.

Aaaack, trying to link again. It’s the Southern Thing YouTube video of grandma name shopping. I can’t link it. Maybe someone else can.

Were you trying to link this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Not close yet but after a conversation a couple of years ago, all 6 kids agreed with each other to call us grandma and Thor 😆 I really didn’t want a cute name, just something common so they could always find a card etc. Dh didn’t care. One of the middles suggested it and they all agreed! Now to see if it sticks! One of them will call him Thor once in a while

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kathyl said:

We don't have any grandkids yet.  But I'm thinking that if they ask me, I'll tell them Me Ma (pronounced mee maw) like we called my favorite grandmother when I was a kid.

But I guess it's kind of up to the parents since they know all the other relatives and what they're called.  

I thought about going with Mamaw. I was very close to my Mamaw and we lost her at 95 about a year before the pandemic. However, DH is from NY/NJ and Papaw doesn’t suit him at all and for some reason I think our names should match. 😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I thought about going with Mamaw. I was very close to my Mamaw and we lost her at 95 about a year before the pandemic. However, DH is from NY/NJ and Papaw doesn’t suit him at all and for some reason I think our names should match. 😁

lol   We called my grandfather Papa (pronounced pawpaw).  I never realized those were more Southern names until Big Bang Theory came along.

• Like 1

I was annoyed that dh's mom refused to pick a name. She said they'll call her whatever they end up calling her. But we had to call her SOMETHING like "we're going to Grandma's house" so we just went with Grandma since she refused to pick.

My mom was Oma. My sister is Nanie to hers.  Sis is 10 yrs older than me and Nanie was my version of her name, so she kept it for grandkids.  Now that my mom has passed... I *might* be an Oma. 🤔 I would feel honored to claim that name. But who knows if or when!

• Like 1

Not sure. 

I have a friend who is "MaMaw" and I know I don't like that one!   I am not big on MeeMaw, MaMaw, MeeMoo, and all of those.   I would be ok with Mimi.

I think I am a long way off from grandkids though.  I married late, none of my kids seem to be interested in marrying anytime soon, and I have a 6 year old!   So, I am good for a bit!

• Like 2

I was blessed to have seven living grandparents / great-grandparents as a child. The six who lived nearby were all Grandma First Name and Grandpa First Name. No confusion at all. The one who lived farther away was known as "Grandma in Chicago" or sometimes "Grandma Last Name." She always sent all her great-grandkids a $2 bill for Christmas. 🙂 

I would much prefer to just be Grandma or Grandma First Name. I'm not really into the cutesy names (but to each their own!!). I still miss my Grandma so much. ❤️

• Like 1

I'm Nonna - Italian for Grandma. 

Dh is Pop Pop.

Dss and ddil asked us what we wanted to be called. Those are the names we gave but if the first grandchild (we have 3 now) had come up with his own names we'd have been happy with whatever he called us.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

We have five grandchildren from one ds/dil.  When the oldest was tiny she couldn't say her hard "g's" so we became "Yammaw" and "Yampa".  That has stuck through all five of those kids but it's awkward because my other grandson calls us Grandma and Grandpa.  I mean, it's not awkward, but I kind of liked Yammaw and Yampa better just because it was unique but my dd definitely has taught her son that it is Grandma and Grandpa.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the next son and his wife start their family.  He's very close to his older brother so I'm guessing the Yammaw and Yampa label may become the norm.

• Like 2

Sometimes whatever the first grandchild comes up with when they are trying to say whatever is decided the name will be is the cutest and most endearing. Maybe not to anyone on the outside but to the ones being called it by the little one for sure 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

We have five grandchildren from one ds/dil.  When the oldest was tiny she couldn't say her hard "g's" so we became "Yammaw" and "Yampa".  

That's so cute! 

33 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Sometimes whatever the first grandchild comes up with when they are trying to say whatever is decided the name will be is the cutest and most endearing. Maybe not to anyone on the outside but to the ones being called it by the little one for sure 😊

I'm hoping for that.  My kids did that with their grandmothers (my oldest came up with something different from grandma and then younger siblings did the same), but then my MIL made them change it after her highly favored granddaughter was born because that's not what the favored granddaughter called her.  

• Sad 3

My MIL adamantly did not want a grandma name; she just wanted to be called by her first name, Linda. 

Well, the first grandchild (now 29) could not manage the L and MIL became Nina (short i, schwa a) after all. 😆😆 All the grands have called her Nina while they were kids. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Beth S said:

Mumzy.    (jump to 9:35 or so here, with Michael Palin in Ripping Yarns.)
And yes, this skit is from an older generation (1976) & mixes murder in with the jokes.

Mrs. Chatsworth Osborn Sr in Dobbie Gillis (1959 - 1963) was always called "Mumsie" by her son.

Bob Denver's character "Maynard G. Krebs" gave rise to Gilligan. 

Also had Tuesday Weld and Warren Beatty, when they were young and just starting out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

That's so cute! 

I'm hoping for that.  My kids did that with their grandmothers (my oldest came up with something different from grandma and then younger siblings did the same), but then my MIL made them change it after her highly favored granddaughter was born because that's not what the favored granddaughter called her.  

My MIL is Grandma to my kids and my mom is Grammy. MIL kinda liked “Grammy” so when DH’s brother had kids (when our kids were 9 and 13) she had the younger Grandkids call her Grammy. Now when we’re all together she’s got different kids addressing her differently.  I think that’s shady, but in a harmless old lady way. 

All the kids called MIL’s mother G.G. for Great Grandmother. 🥰

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

All the kids called MIL’s mother G.G. for Great Grandmother. 🥰

That reminded me that my kids have called their grandparents on both sides G-ma and G-pa for a long time.  It came from playing games that required score-keeping and that's how they wrote their names 🙂

• Like 1