Menu

Your favorite baby shower gift books

MercyA

I'm buying some books for a nephew's new baby, and I wanted to be sure I didn't give them duplicates of books I've already given them. I looked up orders containing "Big Red Barn" in my Amazon history, and, using the date of the orders, figured out the books I had given them for their first child. I discovered I've purchased Big Red Barn 10 times. 🙂 Sandra Boyton's Going-to-Bed Book was in second place; I purchased it 8 times.

What are your very favorite children's picture books to give to new parents?

I know we've had this question before, but I never get tired of reading about children's lit. 🙂 

• Like 2

Sometimes I Like To Curl Up In a Ball by Vicki Churchill

First 100 animals by Priddy (but I buy it in like new condition as the bigger book that fits on a kids lap not the tiny book they publish now)

Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boyton

Those are the top 3 that I give to every new parent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I Want My Hat Back (Jon Klassen) (ETA - maybe more for a first or second birthday than a baby shower on this one...but I love this book)

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear (Don & Audrey Wood)

Little Owl's Night (Divya Srinivasan)

Edited by purpleowl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Big Red Barn is possibly my favorite too.

I’d say Goodnight Moon, except that I assume people are already receiving multiple copies. Same goes for Very Hungry Caterpillar and Brown Bear. Pat the Bunny used to be in this category, but I’m not sure if it’s still very popular.

Mem Fox’s Time for Bed

Janet and Alan Ahlberg’s Peek-a-Boo!

Martin Waddell’s Owl Babies 

For brand new babies, I liked anything that I could read aloud, just for the sake of spoken language. So, a good anthology of children’s poetry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of Sandra Boynton's Going To Bed Book. I see you know about that one! My middle dd had this memorized at 2 years old and would act it out. So a lot of it is probably nostalgia and happy memories. Our book was so well-used I bought another when the kids were older just to make sure we had a good copy to hand down to them some day. And for a gift I would fill in with a few more Boynton board books--we had several.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tickle Monster’s Laughter Kit.

Anything written by Sandra Boyton. 

The Baby University series by Chris Ferrie. I first started buying these when my child with vision impairment started regaining some sight. The pictures are simple and on an isolated background so are much better for kids with vision impairment. But every little kid I’ve had visit since seems to love them. Especially the Optical Physics one (it’s about rainbows). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Katy said:

Tickle Monster’s Laughter Kit.

Anything written by Sandra Boyton. 

The Baby University series by Chris Ferrie. I first started buying these when my child with vision impairment started regaining some sight. The pictures are simple and on an isolated background so are much better for kids with vision impairment. But every little kid I’ve had visit since seems to love them. Especially the Optical Physics one (it’s about rainbows). 

Seconding Baby University, those are neat. 

I always send The Velveteen Rabbit, actually more for mom than for baby. Parenting can feel like being the stick horse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like poems as books. A particular favorite is Robert Louis Stevenson. We have Block City and The Swing. I just bought the latter for my sister’s first grandchild in April. Same for Dr. Seuss’s ABC, a favorite here, and The Owl and the Pussycat, my very favorite board book of all time, and less likely to be one of many copies a new parent receives.

Buying books for children is my favorite pastime. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2023 at 10:44 AM, Faith-manor said:

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight!

Moo, Baa, La La La

I adore Moo, Baa, La La La.. and Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs... All the Boynton books. 🙂 So much fun to read. I may have them memorized. lol 

Would add Brown Bear Brown Bear...

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I enjoy giving the books we acted out. Lots of fun with books with a lot of sounds or action. Even a bedtime ritual with goodnight moon was fun.

Corduroy 

Goodnight Moon

Snowy Day

Maybelle the Cable Car

We’re going on a bear hunt

Click Clack Moo - Cows that Type

Make Way For Ducklings

Blueberries for Sal

Truman’s Aunt Farm

Yellow Ball

Caps for Sale!

Little Bear’s Trouser’s

Madeline

Who Owns the Sun

Katy and the Big Snow

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel

I can look at my shelves tomorrow if you need more ideas.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh my Oh my Oh my dinosaurs... Gosh the memories...

Mickey in the NIght Kitchen by Maurice Sendak (brief full frontal nudity lol). I loved any book with a cadence. That I could not just read but sing-song it with a rhythm. Those were the books we read over and over...I cherish those times.

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1