Menu

What could be done with this kitchen?-Update in first post

DawnM

UPDATE:   We actually got to see the house.   Even though the land is really nice and I love that area, this house is a mess.   Water damage you can see and I am sure much more you can't see.    The owners did all the repairs themselves and I am assuming maybe by watching TikTok because their "fixes" draw more attention to the issue than if they had left things the way they were!   For the repairs needed, this house is a bazillion dollars overpriced.

For example (on the DIY by the owners), that microwave door?  You can only open it about 1/3 of the way before it touches the cabinet next to it.   The cabinet has dings all over from the microwave door.   🫢

Original:

I don't know if these are 8 ft. or 9 ft. ceilings, but this is a kitchen in a home my realtor sent me.  I haven't looked at it yet, but it just looks like the owners wanted maximum cabinet space, which I get but it looks awkward.

Fill in the top inch or two with something to make it look like it goes all the way up?   Paint the cabinets white to match the backsplash and countertop and make it more Farmhouse looking?   Add some trim and new hardware to dress it up?   It needs something!

A complete remodel would not be an option, although I might be tempted to rip out the upper cabinets and put in cabinets that were lower that have some space at the top, not sure how to match or how much that would be.

image.thumb.png.bed62305b8d9edd397c47e62826b5fab.png

Edited by DawnM
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Katy said:

That looks like the kitchen is tiny & they used a wide angle lens to make it look bigger. I’d avoid. 

There is just not much out there with the specs we are looking at.   We are going to have to make some compromises IF we purchase a pre-existing home, and even if we build.   We met with a builder yesterday and are now not sure we want to build as it is more expensive than buying pre-existing and changing it.   The price per sq. ft. is about the same, but the difference is, the land is additional, the extras like long driveways are additional, etc....making the home about 20-30% more than buying pre-existing.

Right now, in the peak of the selling time, there are FOUR houses available with out specifications.   This has been going on for months as I do look periodically.   We want acreage and we want it within an easy commute of the city, so our options are limited.

So a "pass, pass, pass" for houses that aren't "just right" means we will not be getting a house.

And the kitchen is actually fairly large, this is just one section of it.   

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Dh says small crown molding to close in the space same and painted same color as ceiling.

It is a pretty kitchen but bland.  Every thing is same color.

The molding should match the ceiling?   It seems like it should match the wood?   

7 minutes ago, DawnM said:

🤷🏻‍♀️ Just repeating my Dh.  I could see it working either way.  I think because the space is so small painting it to match ceiling makes more sense.  He said that space in your pic is called infinity something.,,,,,,

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Dh says small crown molding to close in the space same and painted same color as ceiling.

This is what I would do. If you wanted to add some color, maybe change the backsplash to a color and paint that trim that color? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Arctic Bunny said:

I had a firm opinion before I went looking for pictures. I see pictures of ceiling-coloured crown moulding to make it look like the ceiling comes down AND cupboard-coloured moulding (some look flat or a bit of quarter-round almost) to extend the cabinet up.

I think since the cabinet is already so tall is the reason you would paint crown molding to match ceiling. 

• Like 1

I'd fill in the gap and paint the cabinets either white or a muted color (maybe gray-green or gray-blue), because the cabinets + floor = too much of the same color wood for me. I might actually do the lowers in a muted green or blue and paint the uppers white, to blend in with the wall and ceiling and minimize their impact. You could get a totally new look just with paint and new hardware, and it wouldn't cost much at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just for perspective, this kitchen is 15x15 and is open to the dining area which is 15x10.

And, just for kicks, I looked at our current kitchen/eat in area and it is 11x13 for the kitchen and 10x13 for the dining area.

So, it isn't that much different.   Although our current kitchen is upgraded with a counter top oven, double wall ovens, etc....I will miss that, but I really only used the double oven once per year if that.   It mostly just kept my pans stored.

What I posted is just one area of the room.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

It looks like huge potential to me!

I agree with some kind of molding trim at the top. 
New hardware.

I hesitate to paint cabinets as it eventually means touch ups.  I would look at swapping out some panels for a glass panel  for some interest.

Colorful rug in front of sink.

Colorful containers / appliances etc on the counter will greatly improve the blandness.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Empty rooms always look bland.  We just had to replace our fridge yesterday and in preparation had to empty the counters and move the floor rugs and it was surprising what a difference that made.  I would definitely put a piece of trim above the cabinets - either wood or ceiling color would be fine.  It would be fine to paint the cabinets (both or just the lowers) but before making plans I'd think about how it would look with the other stuff that goes in your kitchen.  This is family-specific - are there colored canisters, or a brightly colored stand mixer or coffeemaker or toaster that stay out, or curtains and throw rugs that add color, or...  I wouldn't be in any rush to change things other than the trim because it's not bad, just bland.  After living with it for a bit, I might go with my preference for farmhouse and paint the cabinets white, or do white on top and a color on the bottom.  I love color - we don't have white walls anywhere - but I'd be fine with the neutral backsplash and counter because it lets me change the colors of other things.

• Like 2

Finish top of cabinets with molding or crown that matches the wood...it is such a small gap

Decorate!

Add a big colorful rug and canisters... a fun sign above the window to give it some personality...

If you like islands then get one on wheels to give you more options.

After playing with accessories if the wood feel is still not your thing, painting cabinets is easy and can add a pop of color to that corner.

DO NOT give up that storage by downsizing the cabinets...

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 6

Fill in the top of the cabinets with crown molding that match the cabinets. If you can find any indication inside the cabinets for the cabinet maker this can be super easy. The "crown molding" can be something a little decorative to basically a filler piece. 

I will say no to painting the cabinets. The cabinets look semi-custom and in good shape. If I really wanted more color and I had budget to replace I would replace the counter top, back splash (back splash could be a small extension of the countertop with a coat of paint in not white) and floor.  If I had to keep everything I'd put some cute/color anti-fatigue mats on the floor and some decorative items on the countertop and it will look less bland. Also you can add a shelf to keep cute stuff or put some picture(s) on top of the window above the sink. 

The space looks big enough for you to add an island. To save money I would add a stand alone kitchen island that is painted instead of matching the wood with a butcher block top. Although I would price out what it is to build and island with the same cabinetry as the rest of the kitchen (but if that's not available or not within budget then stand alone painted island).

• Like 2

I know how hard it can be to find a landed house with everything you want🥴

I would remove all top cabinets, and replace with shelving. You can probably sell the top portion of cabinets, if you wanted to. Removing the top cabinets opens your space and allows for a “farmhouse” look, or any other vibe that you are going for.

I wouldn’t necessarily paint the bottom cabinets, because they look like real wood (oak or maple?). You can use a gel stain to change the tone and get rid of the honey wood color. 

Replace the hardware with pulls or bars (or any other clean-lined hardware). 

• Like 1

That kitchen looks very attractive compared to what I'm cooking in every day!! I love having lots of cabinet space, so that wouldn't bother me at all. I would possibly paint the cabinets and replace the hardware. Personally, I'm loving the dark blues I've been seeing in magazines lately, and brushed nickel is my favorite for hardware. Maybe a more colorful backsplash - it need some color somewhere in my opinion.

• Like 2

That’s a beautiful kitchen! You’re lacking a lot of contrast. I would fill in the gap with matching trim, put in a throw rug with greens, add the usual kitchen clutter (coffee maker, toaster, etc.) and a short vase with flowers and I think it would feel better to you.

If the cabinets were not pristine, I’d consider painting them Halycon Green, but all wood cabinets are trending back. I think a throw rug (like 6’x 8’ or whatever the space allows) will give you the visual distinction you want.

• Like 4

I can’t quite figure out how to add thin molding to hide that gap since the doors go all the way to the top of the cabinets. But that’s a lot of storage to lose if you take them out. A more colorful backsplash or some typical kitchen clutter/decoration might be enough to make it not look so bland. 
I love the wood! 

• Like 1

Crown molding, throw rugs/curtains that are colorful, and interesting things on the counters. I like the wood, though I think more contrast with the floor would be nice--rugs can fix that. I've been seeing ads for floor cloths that I wish I could afford. 

https://www.rugs-direct.com/Store/nav/Category-Area-Rugs-Brand-Spicher-and-Company

Painting cabinets would be a last resort for me. We have painted cabinets (they were previously painted and looking pretty bad), and it's hard to maintain. 

9 hours ago, Katy said:

That looks like the kitchen is tiny & they used a wide angle lens to make it look bigger. I’d avoid. 

I agree, it’s smaller than it looks. 

I also agree that crown molding would easily fill/cover that gap to the ceiling, and I would do it because dust and spiders are likely inhabiting that space now. 

Personally I don’t mind bland because I have colorful kitchen accessories; what you’re seeing is a blank canvas that one  could hopefully bring to life. Colorful rugs and curtains and vases and cookbooks and crocks could do wonders. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DawnM said:

It may depend on how close you may be able to match the stain color of the cabinets? Sometimes it’s hard to get that right and paint matching the ceiling is a better option. Either would look good imo. 

7 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I'd fill in the gap and paint the cabinets either white or a muted color (maybe gray-green or gray-blue), because the cabinets + floor = too much of the same color wood for me. I might actually do the lowers in a muted green or blue and paint the uppers white, to blend in with the wall and ceiling and minimize their impact. You could get a totally new look just with paint and new hardware, and it wouldn't cost much at all.

I do like the idea of painting the base cabinets a different color, that would be sort of anchoring and a breakup of all that wood. Unless you really like all the wood - if so, don’t change it. If you paint, I’d suggest hiring a professional to do the job. We have painted cabinets ourselves, it’s a time consuming job to get everything just right. 

I actually really like the cabinets. And the wood floor. And the white cabinets. I didn’t notice the gap near the ceiling until I realized what you thought was awkward. I thought you were going to say that the space is so big it should have an island. 

I will also say this: our current house I put off looking at in person for months because I HATED the look of the kitchen in pictures, but in person it wasn’t nearly so bad. I think you should consider this house if the rest of it is what you’re looking for. 

• Like 3

Ack! DON'T paint your cabinets unless they are in bad shape -- so, so, SO much more difficult to keep clean and in good shape than wood or laminate. And SO difficult to make painted cabinets LOOK GOOD, unless you have a professional do it.

I agree with those suggesting the simple and inexpensive changes:
- molding painted to match the ceiling
- colorful/patterned curtains for some accent
- colorful area rug on the floor to break up the wood and add accent
- colorful appliances or one or two accent decor pieces on the counter for color
- change out the drawer/door hardware to black to stand out from the wood, and to match the black accent on the stove

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annie G said:

I can’t quite figure out how to add thin molding to hide that gap since the doors go all the way to the top of the cabinets. But that’s a lot of storage to lose if you take them out. A more colorful backsplash or some typical kitchen clutter/decoration might be enough to make it not look so bland. 
I love the wood! 

The trim would be added to cabinets 'with the doors open'-- so trim most likely instead of crown (curved).

• Like 2

I like all of it.  I guess I would look at it as a blank slate on which I could add tons of color and things to personalize it.  And all without having to rip out, paint, and put back together.  

I didn't even notice the tops of the cabinets until you pointed them out.  I'd rather have that space than drill into the ceiling maybe?  (I have no clue about how those things are done.)

• Like 2

Cheapest and easiest fix is new hardware, rugs, a curtain, and trim above cabinets. 

More intensive fix is painting them all, plus all of the above. 

I personally love wood tones and have regretted painting the few wood pieces we have redone over the years. I'd keep the wood. 

• Like 1

It's such a tiny space above the cabinets, they should have put trim to finish it off.  Or you could feed LED strips into it.
I would replace the hardware.

if you're feeling ambitious, paint the cabinets, either the same color, or darker on the bottom and lighter on top.  Having the wood all the same color is just . . bland.

There's also an option of just putting a darker wood wax on the bottom.

There's paint for using on ceramic tile - that backsplash needs help.

12 hours ago, Katy said:

the range and the dishwasher would both be approx. 30 inches wide (standard).  It's not super tiny, not big, but not what i'd call tiny.  The sink is probably standard 36" - as it's clearly wider than the dishwasher.
It looks like there's a pantry cabinet on the other side of the range.

4 hours ago, Annie G said:

I love the wood! 

usually 3/8" cove or similar size molding.  It's probably not very big.  But enough there's a bit of an overlap onto the top of the cabinet.

• Like 1

FYI you can easily remove one of the cabinet doors (just take it off its hinges) and take it in to a place that does cabinets (even like Lowe's or Home Depot) they can help you match the style to the trim and/or doors. To be honest Kraftmaid definitely has a similar style because those cabinets look eerily like mine (not sure on the color though). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I think painting it white would be great, but honestly I don't have problems with it as is.  Is it bland?  Yes, but I like bland.

Haha right? I looked at it and it looks AMAZING to me!! So roomy compared to my cramped little kitchen. I see NOTHING wrong with it!

• Like 6

Dawn, are you moving again?  IMO this kitchen is boring and monochromatic.  Other than the little white (backsplash and counter) everything else is beige.  What is needed is a "centerpiece" - an eye catching something.   If looking to keeping cost at a minimum I'd definitely think about painting cabinets but NOT white as that would look weird to have everything white except the floor.  You could paint the cabinets and put on glass doors.  Remove the tile and add color there.  Unless the counter is cheap then you could replace the with a "color" granite or something.  

14 hours ago, DawnM said:

I would match the crown to the wood. Except if it were my kitchen, I’d paint those cabinets. 🙂 And the crown would still be painted to match the cabinets. Of course you can paint the cabinets white which solves the problem altogether lol

I have white cabinets, white backsplash, and white countertops. That was on the advice of a decorator. She said I didn’t have to worry about that being a “white out” because I have 3 huge floor to ceiling windows in the eat in area. What little drywall I have is painted a medium greige color. My island is painted dark blue. 

It looks like a very nice kitchen as is though! That double window over the sink is really nice. You don’t see that often.

It just needs accessories. 🙂

Edited by popmom

My kitchen has painted white cabinets, and I really wish it didn't. For one, it shows everything. For another, they need painting again, and I don't trust myself to do it well, so $$. I would do as others have said, and brighten up with accessories on the counters, on the floor, and over the window--as has been mentioned numerous times. Depending on how the kitchen triangle actually works, which I can't fully tell from the photo, I would probably also add a brightly colored island like some of the ones from Wayfair or somewhere similar. (Here is an example with red and blue options: https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/three-posts-hardiman-5375-kitchen-island-with-solid-wood-top-and-locking-wheels-w004867677.html?piid=1133971760)

• Like 1

I just scrutinized the pic again.

I actually like the wood color. I'd keep it. But I'm doubling down that the little crown molding added should be the same color as the cabinets and not the ceiling. My theory is that if the crown was white, it would make the ceiling appear lower and would chop off the top of the cabinets strangely. I don't know if that makes sense. It really just needs a small molding piece anyway--something unobtrusive.

I disagree with @gardenmom5 I think the backsplash is fine. It's neutral. It's a modern take on subway tile. It works IMO. 

Edited by popmom

50 minutes ago, popmom said:

I just scrutinized the pic again.

I actually like the wood color. I'd keep it. But I'm doubling down that the little crown molding added should be the same color as the cabinets and not the ceiling. My theory is that if the crown was white, it would make the ceiling appear lower and would chop off the top of the cabinets strangely. I don't know if that makes sense. It really just needs a small molding piece anyway--something unobtrusive.

I disagree with @gardenmom5 I think the backsplash is fine. It's neutral. It's a modern take on subway tile. It works IMO. 

wow. Why don't you just express your opinion you think the subway tile is fine instead of calling out someone else's opinion as being "wrong"?