Menu

What are you serving for Easter?

Drama Llama

I thought we were going to someone else's house, but now it turns out I'm hosting 12 people from toddler to very elderly.  No vegans, or pescatarians, or people who keep kosher, or food allergies, although it will be in a nut free house.  

What are other people serving? 

Since we like breakfast-for-dinner so much, I'm doing a fancy Easter brunch, but for dinner. Eggs Benedict will be the highlight, but I'm also doing scrambled eggs and bacon, waffles, blueberry muffins, a smoked salmon and radish puff pastry, and fresh fruit.

If I hadn't decided on that, we would have done Greek...leg of lamb, dolmathakia, roast potatoes with feta, halloumi saganaki, spanakopita, and baklava for dessert.

• Like 7

Not sure. We are not hosting and will be at church in the morning and then with friends for a couple hours in the late afternoon. Kids’ breakfast will be hot cross buns, easter candy, and coffee. 

Thinking brunch. Scrambled eggs, hash brown casserole, bacon or sausage, fruit salad. Super simple, though I will likely use my good china, silver, and crystal. 

• Like 2

My sister has Covid, so she and my BIL won't be coming. That means it will be the four of us and my dad. 

Here's what I'm considering, but I haven't settled on dessert yet. 

• pot roast with potatoes and carrots
  • small chicken casserole
  • broccoli casserole
  • green beans
  • fried corn
  • rolls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsMommy said:

Since we like breakfast-for-dinner so much, I'm doing a fancy Easter brunch, but for dinner. Eggs Benedict will be the highlight, but I'm also doing scrambled eggs and bacon, waffles, blueberry muffins, a smoked salmon and radish puff pastry, and fresh fruit.

If I hadn't decided on that, we would have done Greek...leg of lamb, dolmathakia, roast potatoes with feta, halloumi saganaki, spanakopita, and baklava for dessert.

Ooooh maybe I should do brunch!  

Can I have your smoked salmon/radish thing recipe?  

• Like 1

It is just going to be DD (coming home to visit from college) and DS17 this year, since DS20 is not able to make it home.

I am going to make monkey bread and scrambled eggs for breakfast/brunch.  And then have an early dinner so DD can get back to school.  We are having ham, deviled eggs, fruit salad, and rolls.  I am going to make a carrot cake for dessert.

• Like 1

I'm going to an extended family potluck.  So far, I've heard people are bringing baked ham, new potatoes sauteed with olive oil and garlic, deviled eggs, a cold veggie salad, and a fruit salad.  I'll probably be taking roasted veggies and dinner rolls.   

• Like 1

We always host a potluck here.  I make ham from a friend's farm, roasted spiced sweet potatoes, a lemon cake with buttercream, lemon curd, and strawberries.  Others usually bring salads, scalloped potatoes, beet salad, cheese plates and charcuterie, spanikopita, and desserts.  Dh bakes a bread wreath with colored eggs held in it.  Dd has spent the last three years in Switzerland where she has made little animals out of sweet bun dough with currant eyes, so she's asked him for some dough to make those. Pink lemonade.

Well my plan was ham, mashed potatoes, Mac n cheese, peas, green beans, broccoli salad, + dessert and my parents and in-laws were coming,    But last night a stress storm hit the house and I decided I just couldn't do it.   It didn't matter though...  I woke up sick so now there's not going to be anything anyway.     I preordered a smoked ham, already have the mashed potatoes, and peas.   I'll probably throw something small together for dh, ds, and I.    🤷🏻‍♀️   I'm usually not a ham eater, not caring to eat pork very often, but I am looking forward to that ham.  I hope I can taste it, wouldn't that suck 🤣

Edited by WildflowerMom
  • Sad 1

I have yet to decide.  I'm thinking something like this:

• pear and arugula salad
  • asparagus
  • new potatoes, roasted
  • chicken breasts stuffed with spinach/garlic/yogurt
  • white wine, iced tea

After dinner:

• cheese & fruit plate
  • tiramisu
  • coffee

I need to see what are the loss leaders this week and what I have room for in the fridge.

• Like 2

I'm roasting a (partial) lamb leg for the first time in years. I am actually a little nervous about it even though I roast meat all the time. There are only going to be three of us this year, husband/son/me, so it's not an intimidating crowd. Still I want it to be good, so I'll be obsessing over methods and recipes today and tomorrow.  ETA: I think I'm going with Kenji Lopez-Alt's reverse sear recipe; the seasonings sound awesome and he's never steered me wrong with roasting a slab of meat.

Other than that? I'll figure that out later. Couple of vegetables, potatoes in some form, bread.

I'm hoping dessert will be a cheesecake from Costco, with the leftovers safely tucked into the freezer for future use. 

Edited by marbel

7 hours ago, Loowit said:

It is just going to be DD (coming home to visit from college) and DS17 this year, since DS20 is not able to make it home.

I am going to make monkey bread and scrambled eggs for breakfast/brunch.  And then have an early dinner so DD can get back to school.  We are having ham, deviled eggs, fruit salad, and rolls.  I am going to make a carrot cake for dessert.

It is just the 4 of us here. We are doing monkey bread and egg soufflé in the morning 😊. YUM!!!

Costco ham, mac n cheese, and ambrosia (deciding on veggie) for dinner. Little Nothing Bundt Cakes for dessert.

My father usually makes Easter dinner, so there will of course be ham. In honor of my late grandmother, I make Perfection Salad. I've done it for so many years now that I am confident in my 20th century skill of being able to successfully unmold a jello salad. 😆

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

We go off the beaten path here and do pineapple aji charapita carnitas 

We're doing Mexican here too. 16 people total.

Beef enchiladas, a chicken tortilla casserole, Mexican quinoa, guacamole, pinto beans, queso cheese dip, chips and salsa. Going to make chicken quesadillas for the grandkids.

Ice cream cake and banana cream pie.

Corona with lime and margaritas!

Dh and I agreed that we were not especially hungry for the traditional ham dinner we usually have. We are having everyone here on Saturday, instead of Sunday as it worked better for everyone this year also.

• Like 5

I think I'm doing a lamb roast and The Potatoes Everyone Loves. I like to roast sweet potatoes with lamb, so probably double potatoes.  We'll have rolls and I haven't decided on the fresh veggies.  I may swerve and do lamb chops instead.  We'll see what happens at the store tomorrow.  There will be candy in the house and heavy food, so I don't think anyone will be interested in a proper dessert.  There are only 5 of us; 6 if you count the baby.  He won't eat food, but he will be the bulk of our entertainment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BandH said:

I am leaning towards making brunch, but I have a question.

Is it weird to serve soup with brunch?  I really like soup, and there is a recipe for asparagus soup that is calling my name. 

It’s your dinner, have whatever you want!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BandH said:

Is it weird to serve soup with brunch?  I really like soup, and there is a recipe for asparagus soup that is calling my name. 

As long as the flavors are complementary, why not?  Asparagus goes well with eggs, so I think it would be fine. I mean, I probably wouldn't serve minestrone (unless the brunch vibe was Italian?) or a hearty beef stew with red wine.   

If people don't like it, they can eat other the other foods.

• Like 1

How does this sound?

Cucumber/smoked salmon appetizers

Some other appetizers other people are bringing 

Lemon asparagus soup

Roasted lamb/potato hash

Quiche or frittata of some sort (someone else is bringing it)

carrots (Someone else is bringing)

salad (someone else is bringing)

green fruit salad (kiwi, grapes, honeydew)

bacon

Baked goods (someone else is bringing)

crème brûlée French toast

mixed berries 

whipped cream

mimosas/OJ

tea and coffee (hot or iced)

Any feedback?  Suggestions?

We will have 16 people.  1 toddler, 2 very elderly who do better with easier textures, and everyone else is teen to adult with no food issues.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, MrsMommy said:

I wish I’d thought of this!!!

• Like 2

11 here. I’m regretting asking everyone but we are moving in July and it may be the last time with these relatives of dh. I wish I were B&H and loved doing this!

my menu: turkey (bc we can’t have ham); scalloped potatoes; sweet potato hash; broccoli-rice casserole; green salad; green beans with almonds; trifle, fruit pie, ice cream; seltzer, wine, beer

i have to make every last thing from scratch bc of allergies and I’m already exhausted!!!! 😂 I’ll be glad so did it, though. I love the brunch idea for next year, though. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, freesia said:

11 here. I’m regretting asking everyone but we are moving in July and it may be the last time with these relatives of dh. I wish I were B&H and loved doing this!

my menu: turkey (bc we can’t have ham); scalloped potatoes; sweet potato hash; broccoli-rice casserole; green salad; green beans with almonds; trifle, fruit pie, ice cream; seltzer, wine, beer

i have to make every last thing from scratch bc of allergies and I’m already exhausted!!!! 😂 I’ll be glad so did it, though. I love the brunch idea for next year, though. 

Your menu sounds delicious! 

There will only be four of us here, plus I am on cooking duty with other women at our church for a big dinner Friday night. So Sunday will not be complicated. Ham, mashed potatoes (I make them ahead and put them in a casserole dish to heat up), layered green salad, Sister Schubert rolls (I usually love making my own rolls), and coconut cake. Iced tea to drink. 

• Like 2

I'm making ham, asparagus, au gratin potatoes, strawberry walnut salad, and deviled eggs. And I'll pick up dinner rolls from the store. It's small and simple, but it's one of my favorite meals of the year! 

Edited by Jhwk21
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 11:05 AM, Kassia said:

That sounds amazing.  Can you share the trifle recipe?

It's from The Mom Maven, but the link no longer works! A wildly indulgent-looking dessert. The idea is, make some brownies, and make some chocolate pudding. Then beat together a small container of Cool Whip, a block of cream cheese, a cup of confectioner's sugar*, and 21 oz. of peanut butter.

Then assemble in a large bowl:

• half the brownies (cut into 1" chunks)
  • half the pb mixture
  • half the pudding
  • half of another small container of Cool Whip
  • some mini pb cups.

Repeat with remaining ingredients. Keep cold, of course.

*UPDATE: I made it with only 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar (and only a 16-oz. jar of PB) and it was plenty sweet and, since I don't have a trifle bowl, it filled my big mixing bowl to the top.

DS was very happy with it. DH, to his surprise, rather liked it. I didn't really. I think it would be a hit at a gathering with a lot of kids. I'm going to delete the recipe from my app.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Two days a year, I take off cooking. Easter is one of those days. I'm a guest.

However, if I were cooking, I know one thing I'd make:

Purple Cauliflower Soup.

I "invented" this soup many years ago, and an internet search confirms that others have co-invented similar soups, but this is a beautiful dish to serve on Easter. The color is a gorgeous pastel that resembles what one could find expect on an Easter egg. It looks absolutely seasonal--knock your socks off!!--and "fancy," but could not be simpler (assuming one can source the purple cauliflower).

All you need to do is break up the flowerlets and them cook them (very gently) in warm milk.  I'm sure a milk substitute would be fine.Season with salt and adding sliced fresh garlic is optional).

You don't want to "boil" the milk (as that would form a "skin) just have it hot enough to cook the purple cauliflower until it is tender.

Then use a stick blender (or regular blender) and process until smooth.

A little butter or sour cream during the process adds richness, but that's optional.

It is that easy. One can garnish the soup with a splash of creme fraiche or sour cream (or not) and or/fresh dill (or not).

If purple cauliflower are available (but dear) and there are many mouths to feed, there is no loss in using skinned potatoes cut into a small pieces and cooking those with the purple cauliflower and milk to "extend" the soup. It will still be colorful and delicious.

One of those soups where it is better IMO to keep the servings small. The Wow! factor is tremendous.

Internet photos:

post_3500978.webp

c921cd7eddb9d064cdc36d374304af64.jpg

Happy Easter!

Bill

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, 73349 said:

It's from The Mom Maven, but the link no longer works! A wildly indulgent-looking dessert. The idea is, make some brownies, and make some chocolate pudding. Then beat together a small container of Cool Whip, a block of cream cheese, a cup of confectioner's sugar, and 21 oz. of peanut butter.

Then assemble in a large bowl:

half the brownies (cut into 1" chunks)

half the pb mixture

half the pudding

half of another small container of Cool Whip

some mini pb cups.

Repeat with remaining ingredients. Keep cold, of course.

This sounds great and I think my people and I would love it. But it makes me laugh because it reminds me of the time I made trifle for a gathering. The other guests were very hide-bound people of British descent, for whom "trifle" meant lady fingers, strawberries, sherry, and cream. My trifle (for a Christmas party) included *cranberries* and *pound cake* and no sherry. The main comment on it was "oh, how interesting" and I had a LOT of leftovers to take home. I never made a nice dessert for those people again. 🤣🤣

BTW me and mine thought it was delicious.  (PS: I know the grammar in that sentence is as atrocious as my unconventional "trifle.")

Edited by marbel

7 minutes ago, marbel said:

This sounds great and I think my people and I would love it. But it makes me laugh because it reminds me of the time I made trifle for a gathering. The other guests were very hide-bound people of British descent, for whom "trifle" meant lady fingers, strawberries, sherry, and cream. My trifle (for a Christmas party) included *cranberries* and *pound cake* and no sherry. The main comment on it was "oh, how interesting" and I had a LOT of leftovers to take home. I never made a nice dessert for those people again. 🤣🤣

BTW me and mine thought it was delicious.  (PS: I know the grammar in that sentence is as atrocious as my unconventional "trifle.")

Reminds me of this: 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, BandH said:

Asparagus soup for brunch sounds lovely! 

• Like 1